HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roberto Luongo - What would it take?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-31-2009, 04:11 PM
  #1
WestIslander
Registered User
 
WestIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,365
vCash: 500
Roberto Luongo - What would it take?

With the team that Bob Gainey has put together for the upcoming season and the fact that Luongo has not yet re-signed with Vancouver, what do you think it would take to get him from Vancouver?

The reason it makes sense for Vancouver is because:

- They are far from a Stanley Cup contender
- Luongo has not re-signed and they might lose him for nothing
- Schneider is going to be NHL ready soon and is a blue chip prospect

The reason it makes sense for Montreal is because:

- Luongo is born and raised in Montreal
- He wants to win now (Stanley Cup)
- He is mature, proven and would be perfect with the team Gainey put together

What do you guys think?

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 04:12 PM
  #2
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,727
vCash: 500
:thumbsdown:

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 04:16 PM
  #3
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey
 
Pierre Dagenais's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,236
vCash: 500
Carey Price

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 04:17 PM
  #4
NHLcrazy
Registered User
 
NHLcrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Qc city
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,918
vCash: 500
Not happening

NHLcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 04:17 PM
  #5
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,781
vCash: 612
Ummm we have our own Luongo.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 04:18 PM
  #6
KingGallagherXI
Registered User
 
KingGallagherXI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,827
vCash: 500
Forget it. We have Price and we're not gonna give him + Hamrlik ++ for Luongo

KingGallagherXI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 04:18 PM
  #7
YEMELIN74
Registered User
 
YEMELIN74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Lévis
Country: Iceland
Posts: 1,161
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to YEMELIN74
they would need to take a lot of our salary cap....

YEMELIN74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 04:19 PM
  #8
Analyzer*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,999
vCash: 50
Stop.

The reason it makes sense for Montreal is because:

- Luongo is born and raised in Montreal - This makes sense because ?
- He wants to win now (Stanley Cup) - Vancouver, at least as of right now are better than us.
- He is mature, proven and would be perfect with the team Gainey put together If you say so.

Analyzer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 04:21 PM
  #9
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Stop.
HAMMER TIME

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 04:21 PM
  #10
Fire Everyone
Especially you
 
Fire Everyone's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Moreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,966
vCash: 500
Among other things, a lot of cap space.

Fire Everyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 04:22 PM
  #11
WestIslander
Registered User
 
WestIslander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,365
vCash: 500
Quote:
they would need to take a lot of our salary cap....
I agree... forgot about the damn cap!

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 04:26 PM
  #12
Jean-Guy Drouin*
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Sherbrooke
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,413
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Ummm we have our own Luongo.
Who ?

Luongo would be great but since his contrat finishes at the end of the season so I wont try anything to bring him here and hope that Price gets stronger mentally.

Jean-Guy Drouin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 04:26 PM
  #13
habsfans333*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Mali
Posts: 1,470
vCash: 500
Delete your thread already ?

I would if I was you.

habsfans333* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 04:29 PM
  #14
le_sean
Registered User
 
le_sean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Ottawa
Country: Vatican City State
Posts: 15,781
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean-Guy Drouin View Post
Who ?

Luongo would be great but since his contrat finishes at the end of the season so I wont try anything to bring him here and hope that Price gets stronger mentally.
Carey Price.

He's accomplished more than Luongo at the same age.

le_sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 04:30 PM
  #15
One Trick Pony
Registered User
 
One Trick Pony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,649
vCash: 500
Wait.. So we are closer to the Cup than Vancouver is? Even if they lasted more than us in the Playoffs and had a better season than us. And how can we say we are contenders when half our team has changed.. it would be a gamble for him.. If he really wants the cup he should just go to Detroit or Pittsburgh or just stay in Vancouver they have more chances than us at winning the cup anyway.

One Trick Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 04:32 PM
  #16
flappuck
Registered User
 
flappuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,263
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
The reason it makes sense for Vancouver is because:

- They are far from a Stanley Cup contender
- Luongo has not re-signed and they might lose him for nothing
- Schneider is going to be NHL ready soon and is a blue chip prospect
The reason it doesn't make sense for Montreal is because:

- They are far from a Stanley Cup contender
- Luongo has not re-signed and they might lose him for nothing
- Price is already NHL ready and is a blue chip prospect

Also, what has Luongo proved yet? That he can be a force during the regular season and manages to have bad games in game 7 situations? Or let in a floater from the blue line Huet style for elimination?

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 04:32 PM
  #17
HabsHockey*
Keep Keeping On
 
HabsHockey*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
With the team that Bob Gainey has put together for the upcoming season and the fact that Luongo has not yet re-signed with Vancouver, what do you think it would take to get him from Vancouver?

The reason it makes sense for Vancouver is because:

- They are far from a Stanley Cup contender
- Luongo has not re-signed and they might lose him for nothing
- Schneider is going to be NHL ready soon and is a blue chip prospect

The reason it makes sense for Montreal is because:

- Luongo is born and raised in Montreal
- He wants to win now (Stanley Cup)
- He is mature, proven and would be perfect with the team Gainey put together

What do you guys think?
Vancouver:

They are a more of a cup contender then us, this is going by last season. How does bringing in a prospect make them better?

Montreal:

Yay, he's born here, so is Lecavalier. He wants to win right now? How would coming to Montreal guarantee this?

HabsHockey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 05:00 PM
  #18
Kimota
Three Bananas
 
Kimota's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: La Vieille Capitale
Country: France
Posts: 23,001
vCash: 500
I do agree it makes sens for us. But it also makes sens for every other NHL teams to have Roberto.

But he seems to want to stay in Vancouver so...

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 05:20 PM
  #19
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,610
vCash: 500
Why invest a lot of cap space in a UFA like Luongo when we have the chance of having one of best youngest goaltenders in the league, who also happen to be very cheap?

Luongo here means losing one of our top forward. We don't have any young top forward to replace this guy. But we do have a young (two actually) goalies to be starter in Montreal.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 05:23 PM
  #20
MM425
Registered User
 
MM425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 4,673
vCash: 500
Luongo has won a whopping 1 more playoff series than Price has.

And I know it wasn't indicitive of his usual play... but his preformance in the last game of the Canucks season can only be described as a choke job.

/devil's advocate cynicsim

MM425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 05:27 PM
  #21
Joey
Registered User
 
Joey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,096
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Joey
At one point, Ryder + Theo. (if anyone remembers)

Joey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 05:46 PM
  #22
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
I wouldn't want to tie that much money on our goaltender at this point in time, sorry.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 10:56 PM
  #23
beowulf
Not a nice guy.
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 41,618
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Is there no cap in your world? He is not coming here.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 11:19 PM
  #24
m00ks
Registered User
 
m00ks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,911
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsHockey View Post
Vancouver:

They are a more of a cup contender then us, this is going by last season. How does bringing in a prospect make them better?
Et voila .

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 11:22 PM
  #25
Habs
Registered User
 
Habs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,847
vCash: 500
Awesome! So we are a contender for the cup, and all we need is Luongo? Lets get this done Bob!

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:31 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.