HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Lines Poll 14 - 6th Defenseman (Run-Off Poll)

View Poll Results: 6th Defenseman
Bobby Sanguinetti 18 15.65%
Michael Sauer 23 20.00%
Michael Del Zotto 20 17.39%
Corey Potter 19 16.52%
Ilkka Heikkinen 35 30.43%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-31-2009, 09:58 AM
captain9nyr
@captain9nyr

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to captain9nyr
Rangers Lines Poll 14 - 6th Defenseman (Run-Off Poll)

Rangers Lines/Depth Chart 2009-2010

Christopher Higgins - Brandon Dubinsky - Marian Gaborik
Sean Avery - Chris Drury - Ryan Callahan
Ales Kotalik - Artem Anisimov - Enver Lisin
Dane Byers - Brian Boyle - Donald Brashear

TBD - TBD
TBD - TBD
TBD - TBD

Top 5 Defensemen (in no order):
Wade Redden
Michal Rozsival
Marc Staal
Dan Girardi
Matt Gilroy

The results of the poll showed 5 clear candidates for the top 5 defensemen on this year's squad. The 6th defenseman, however, had some controversy as the jackass OP (myself) forgot to add a name.

Therefore, to determine our 6th defenseman and achieve some sort of consistency, I will list the 5 defensemen vying for the 6th spot, and we will vote to fill that spot.

Once this has been determined, we will begin to poll for defensive pairings.

Thank you.

captain9nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 10:10 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

You need to look at this situation from two angles. There are two things our defense is missing: a PP QB and toughness. It's a lot easier to believe that a guy like Sauer can fill the second need, and fill it with some success, as a rookie, than it is that a Del Zotto or Sanguinetti can fill the first one successfully as a rookie.

Plus, Gilroy is supposed to be a capable offensive defenseman, too.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 10:12 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

I cant vote on this.

Ive never seen Gilroy or Heiny play and i dont how how the other prospects have developed. I'll reserve judgement and wait until i see some preseason games before i fill out my pairings.

Plus, we dont know if they can all fit under the cap, and if the Rangers are going to sign another defensman (I think they will).

To be honest, the love for Gilroy is quite astounding given that hes never set foot on NHL ice in any capacity. I dont care how old he is or what contract he has.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 10:25 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
I cant vote on this.

Ive never seen Gilroy or Heiny play and i dont how how the other prospects have developed. I'll reserve judgement and wait until i see some preseason games before i fill out my pairings.

Plus, we dont know if they can all fit under the cap, and if the Rangers are going to sign another defensman (I think they will).

To be honest, the love for Gilroy is quite astounding given that hes never set foot on NHL ice in any capacity. I dont care how old he is or what contract he has.
I don't think it's "love" for Gilroy. I think a lot of people--myself included--feel that he was signed to play in the NHL right away, regardless of how we feel about him. We've heard how Torts liked him and asked for him, how the Rangers fought hard for him, etc... To me, all signs point toward him having a spot on the defense. That's why I was voting for him; not because I love his game (I don't know that much about him still), but because I just feel like he's an inevitability at this point.

For this poll, I went with Sangs. It's kind of a gut feeling at this point. I do feel that people are way, way too harsh on him when it comes to slamming his defensive ability, and I also think it's ridiculous to project MDZ over him at this point. I think Sauer is the most NHL-ready, and he'd definitely be my number two pick. Again, it's just a gut feeling that gives the edge to Sangs for me.

What do people really know on Heikkinen? It seems like we're relying on literally a handful of reports on the guy, and yet some people think he's on our D right away?

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 10:34 AM
captain9nyr
@captain9nyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
What do people really know on Heikkinen?
That, invariably, if he is ever good enough to hold a spot on this roster, he will be referred to as "Heineken" for the complete duration of his tenure.

Old
07-31-2009, 11:16 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead94 View Post
That, invariably, if he is ever good enough to hold a spot on this roster, he will be referred to as "Heineken" for the complete duration of his tenure.

And that he had a good camp earlier.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 11:31 AM
Celestial Black

I'd like to see Heikkinen.

HM: Sangs

Celestial Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 12:01 PM
axleone
The Jukebox Junkie

Heikkinen is the best choice!

axleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 12:19 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
I don't think it's "love" for Gilroy. I think a lot of people--myself included--feel that he was signed to play in the NHL right away, regardless of how we feel about him. We've heard how Torts liked him and asked for him, how the Rangers fought hard for him, etc... To me, all signs point toward him having a spot on the defense. That's why I was voting for him; not because I love his game (I don't know that much about him still), but because I just feel like he's an inevitability at this point.

For this poll, I went with Sangs. It's kind of a gut feeling at this point. I do feel that people are way, way too harsh on him when it comes to slamming his defensive ability, and I also think it's ridiculous to project MDZ over him at this point. I think Sauer is the most NHL-ready, and he'd definitely be my number two pick. Again, it's just a gut feeling that gives the edge to Sangs for me.

What do people really know on Heikkinen? It seems like we're relying on literally a handful of reports on the guy, and yet some people think he's on our D right away?
Fair enough, and i understand thats probably the best way to look at Gilroy's situation... But im not going to pencil him in on that alone. The guy could completely fall apart at this level, we just dont know yet.

Out of curiosity - Does anyone know the last time someone was signed out of D1 college to go on to play a full NHL season on defense the very next year?

Old
07-31-2009, 12:23 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Fair enough, and i understand thats probably the best way to look at Gilroy's situation... But im not going to pencil him in on that alone. The guy could completely fall apart at this level, we just dont know yet.

Out of curiosity - Does anyone know the last time someone was signed out of D1 college to go on to play a full NHL season on defense the very next year?
Actually, Jack Hillen of the Islanders is one. He finished his college season, signed, and then played in two games for the Fishies in '08. He then started with the Isles the next year I think, and then split time between the AHL and NHL last season. It's definitely not a "full season" like you said though, so maybe not.

Old
07-31-2009, 12:26 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Actually, Jack Hillen of the Islanders is one. He finished his college season, signed, and then played in two games for the Fishies in '08. He then started with the Isles the next year I think, and then split time between the AHL and NHL last season. It's definitely not a "full season" like you said though, so maybe not.
It wasnt a full season, it was 2 games...

I'm just wondering if this has ever happened.

Old
07-31-2009, 12:35 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
It wasnt a full season, it was 2 games...

I'm just wondering if this has ever happened.
Right, I was referring to last season as the "full season." 2008 couldn't have been a full season since the NHL season ended, obviously. It'd be like if Gilroy played in 2 games for us last year after signing.

Slightly different circumstances but still pretty similar, I think.

Old
07-31-2009, 12:49 PM
captain9nyr
@captain9nyr

Do any of you that are voting Heikkanen and pumping up Heikkanen know anything about him?

Old
07-31-2009, 12:51 PM
ecemleafs

didnt everyone say he was just AHL depth when we signed heineken.

ecemleafs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 01:00 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

In my opinion Corey Potter is a little underrated around here - not overly so but a lot of people are just lumping him in to the "eternal AHL fodder" pile. I think he looked pretty good in his brief call up last season and think he could certainly be a bottom pair Dman at the NHL level so I voted for him.

Don't really know enough about Heikkinen to judge, either.

07-31-2009, 01:37 PM
axleone
The Jukebox Junkie

Quote:
Do any of you that are voting Heikkanen and pumping up Heikkanen know anything about him?
My reasons for supporting him are simple age, experience playing among men, he has been very productive in a quality league last few years (about .7 ppg), not a softy, and the Rangers were very impressed with him in prospect camp.

I think when you know that the Rangers will be playing at least 2 'Rookies' this year his other experience make him a logical choice.

One mans opinion!

Old
07-31-2009, 02:18 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
No question in my mind that Sauer is going to be a top candidate to make the team. IMO he's the best all-round defensemen in Hartford.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 03:02 PM
Ovens

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
No question in my mind that Sauer is going to be a top candidate to make the team. IMO he's the best all-round defensemen in Hartford.

Ovens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 03:13 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
Hiekki.

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 04:28 PM
captain9nyr
@captain9nyr

I'm very surprised to see such a swelling of support for a guy who I really don't think we all know much about.

Old
07-31-2009, 04:45 PM
eLsKy

potter

eLsKy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 05:05 PM
axleone
The Jukebox Junkie

Quote:
I'm very surprised to see such a swelling of support for a guy who I really don't think we all know much about.
Sometimes , I say sometimes it means very little...think Henrik Lundqvist.

Old
07-31-2009, 08:55 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
I didn't vote for him and don't know the people who did, but... the Rangers have liked to have 3 righthanders and 3 lefthanders on D since the lockout. Don't know if that was an organizational thing or a Rennye thing. If it was organizational, then you assume it's going to happen this year. Which means... if you've taken Gilroy (a rightie) as your 5th Dman, your only options on the list for the 6th Dman are MDZ (who I voted for) and Heikkinen - because Sangs, Sauer and Potter are all righties.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 10:51 PM
NYRFAN218
Mac Truck

I'm gonna be honest, I really don't know who to vote for since I haven't really seen any of them. I' gonna go Potter though because in the limited time I've seen him, he seems to play a solid all around game which is good for a number 6 Dman.

NYRFAN218 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 12:11 AM
FLYLine24*

Quote:
Originally Posted by axleone View Post
Sometimes , I say sometimes it means very little...think Henrik Lundqvist.
Did Heikkinen break a bunch of FNL records like Lundqvist did at the age of 21? (In the SEL of course)

Was Heikkinen the top defesnsemen of the FNL last year?

That is just a brutal comparison.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote