HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Pronger's contract investigated

Old
07-31-2009, 02:17 PM
chimrichalds18
the key

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
I truly believe that no one in the NHL really has a clue about anything, and just makes **** up as they go along.
I have a feeling the conversation went something like this:

SportingNews: So, Hossa's contract looks fishy?
NHLRep: Yea, we're gonna take a look.
SportingNews: What do you think about Pronger's? That's another one that takes a player past 40.
NHLRep: Pronger? Oh, him. It does go past 40, doesn't it? Yea that's a good idea, we better get on that too.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 02:18 PM
UseYourAllusion

I'm not too worried. It's not like the Flyers have draft picks to take away.

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 02:19 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Maybe they're just "investigating" the Pronger contract so that Chicago doesn't feel like they're being singled out?

I don't get it, we're on the hook for the whole contract anyway. Good ole NHL logic for ya.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 02:27 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
I'm surprised the league is looking into Pronger's contract, if only for the fact that the Flyers will be stuck with a hefty cap hit if he retires.
Yeah, seems to be why the rule is there in the first place...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post
Maybe they're just "investigating" the Pronger contract so that Chicago doesn't feel like they're being singled out?

I don't get it, we're on the hook for the whole contract anyway. Good ole NHL logic for ya.
I would agree if we were talking about Zetterberg...but Pronger, due to the age rule, seems to be a completely different situation.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 02:27 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

First off, the Flyers looked at the Hawks deal and proceeded... before that, the hawks looked at the Wings deal and proceeded... Now they go after the Hawks and the Flyers with an investigation. What's wrong with this picture? The Hawks and Flyers see a deal approved and feel that they can make a similar deal.

Also, the Flyers only advantage in this... since unlike the Hawks, they are responsible to the obligation until it is over... is in Pronger receiving up front money and the Cap is relieved -- which, BTW, makes sense in that he will not be worth as much as he gets older -- How is that Cap relief really any better than the Cap relief with Richards dozen years?... Other than the numbers, it isn't.

... The NHL allowed all this crap by allowing an averaged Cap hit -- which was to protect teams from monkeying with numbers, and basically also protecting the players from being dumped after a while with an increasing contract -- Eliminate the averaging and the Cap circumventing also goes away... The NHL wants it cake and eat it too.

In Pronger's case, I really don't see the problem... The Flyers are gambling on his playing it out capably... It is not even a loophole like the Hawks is, for goodness sake.

Sometimes I feel I should become a casual fan and not bother with the details... Attend games and read the box scores and post game stories, and follow who is on and off the team... leaving all this gamesmanship off my radar.

[/rant]

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 02:30 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Wow i think this is one of the only threads where i have read the same thing for 30 replies. lol.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 02:34 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Investigating Hossa? Makes sense, I wouldn't be shocked at all if he has no intention of playing out the length of that contract.

Investigating Pronger? That I don't get...we get stuck with the cap hit if he does retire (thus, it can't "circumvent the cap"), so then they're just investigating whether the Flyers are giving away money to a player they want on their team and accepting a salary cap hit long-term?
It is most likely the lower Cap hit allowed by the averaging that they are questioning... But that is their rules that the Flyers are playing under.

I totally agree with your assessment... However, the NHL may be going through the motions to make it seems as if they are being fair to all teams by looking at all extended and averaged contracts that go past 40. In this way, the Hawks can't scream that they are being singled out... That is the only thing I can rationalize here.

Old
07-31-2009, 02:36 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
I'm not too worried. It's not like the Flyers have draft picks to take away.

Old
07-31-2009, 02:37 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersJunky View Post
However, the NHL may be going through the motions to make it seems as if they are being fair to all teams by looking at all extended and averaged contracts that go past 40
This is the only thing that makes sense to me. I think they're giving off the allusion of fairness by looking into the Pronger deal. Nothing else really computes.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 02:40 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post
This is the only thing that makes sense to me. I think they're giving off the allusion of fairness by looking into the Pronger deal. Nothing else really computes.
'Do not pay attention to the man behind the curtain'

Old
07-31-2009, 02:41 PM
BringBackStevens

Nothing will happen. The NHL is run by a bunch of idiots. The Flyers did not break any rules, they can't be punished for signing contract that they are allowed to make in the first place. What a waste of time

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 02:54 PM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
They are always investigating the Flyers.

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 03:14 PM
CantSeeColors

They're not doing a very good job of keeping this double secret probation thing much of a secret.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 03:19 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
They're not doing a very good job of keeping this double secret probation thing much of a secret.
Well played, my man... you can never go wrong with an Animal House reference.

Old
07-31-2009, 03:52 PM
Juicy Couturier*
CannonGoBoom

Send a message via AIM to Juicy Couturier*
I think you guys arent fully understanding exactly what is being investigated. They arent actually investigating the length or money in Pronger's contract. Word is, the NHL is investigating the signing of Ray Emery, Ole-Kristian Tollefsen, Ian Laperriere, and even Daniel Carcillo. Again, not for cap reasons but because The Kid called Mr. Gary and said he didnt think they were nice people.

Juicy Couturier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 04:14 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
Why investigate it? I thought it was for the most part established that Pronger's will count against the cap anyway?
Because the NHL is run by morons.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 04:46 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
I call BS. This is what you're supposed to do before the contract is done. The NHL has to approve ALL contracts.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 04:55 PM
IAN aka RYAN

Send a message via AIM to IAN aka RYAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
They are always investigating the Flyers.
God Forbid the flyers do something legit. It always turns out to be 2 mins or an investigation

IAN aka RYAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 05:00 PM
DinkusMaximus

This type of stuff is nonsense. They write the rules, then get mad when people follow them and still find ways of making things work. I agree players shouldn't get contracts that pay them till they're 50, but at the same time extending contracts till players are 40 is realistic. The contracts are still on the books and count against the Cap. If you don't like the way your lawyers wrote the rules punish them and yourselves for not catching the loopholes quicker, not the teams who are following the stipulations you set forth.

DinkusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 05:16 PM
Pantokrator
Who's the clown?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
It is a different scene but anyone remember when the Flyers traded Pete Peeters/Keith Acton to the Jets before the waiver draft then the Jets traded the pair back to the Flyers after the draft for a future pick?

Afterwards, John Zeigler said there was no evidence that the teams were lying but he still fined the Flyers and Jets saying that it was a "loaning of players" which was prohibited by NHL bylaws despite the fact that both organizations said the transaction was legit and the Jets got a draft pick in return.
I remember that deal - I was pleased at how sneaky the Flyers were.

Pantokrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 05:56 PM
RoDu
Shagga likes axes

smells like they're trying to suspend Pronger before he has a chance to play Sidney

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 07:09 PM
FlyersCup08

They need to fix this loophole, because as of now no one did anything wrong (unless they can prove that Hossa said he'll retire at a certain point). But, with the way it is now, you can theoretically sign a guy for:

$82M, 50 years.

$10M/year first 6 years. $0.5M/year for remaining 44 years.

Cap Hit: 1.64M/year

In essence, you would get a star player for 6 years, he retires (happy with making $60M in 6 years) and your team only pays for $1.64M in cap hit. Oh, and that $1.64M disappears after he retires, so you don't hold that hit for the next 44 years.

This NEEDS to be changed.

FlyersCup08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 07:11 PM
heatley_fan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersCup08 View Post
They need to fix this loophole, because as of now no one did anything wrong (unless they can prove that Hossa said he'll retire at a certain point). But, with the way it is now, you can theoretically sign a guy for:

$82M, 50 years.

$10M/year first 6 years. $0.5M/year for remaining 44 years.

Cap Hit: 1.64M/year

In essence, you would get a star player for 6 years, he retires (happy with making $60M in 6 years) and your team only pays for $1.64M in cap hit. Oh, and that $1.64M disappears after he retires, so you don't hold that hit for the next 44 years.

This NEEDS to be changed.
That kind of contract wouldn't be approved by the league in the first place. I think even if a player is 20 years old, the max length the league might allow would be 20-22 year contract.

heatley_fan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 07:27 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules801 View Post
I truly believe that no one in the NHL really has a clue about anything, and just makes **** up as they go along.
this this this this. Pretty much sums up how I feel about this topic lol. effin ruhtards.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2009, 07:27 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinkusMaximus View Post
This type of stuff is nonsense. They write the rules, then get mad when people follow them and still find ways of making things work. I agree players shouldn't get contracts that pay them till they're 50, but at the same time extending contracts till players are 40 is realistic. The contracts are still on the books and count against the Cap. If you don't like the way your lawyers wrote the rules punish them and yourselves for not catching the loopholes quicker, not the teams who are following the stipulations you set forth.
Well, there are loopholes, and then there is knowingly circumventing the salary cap. If both parties signed the contract with the understanding that the player would not play out the contract, then the team essentially wrote years into the contract that are there purely to lower the salary cap hit in order to circumvent the cap hit for the years they intend to pay, and the player intends to play.

In an absolute sense they are allowed to give out that contract, but if neither party actually intends to fulfill the contract...then there's a problem there. That's dirty pool.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote