HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Lines Poll 13 - Pick The Six Defensemen (CHOOSE SIX)

View Poll Results: 09-10 Defensive Corps - CHOOSE SIX
Wade Redden 138 95.83%
Michal Roszival 140 97.22%
Marc Staal 144 100.00%
Daniel Girardi 143 99.31%
Bobby Sanguinetti 34 23.61%
Matt Gilroy 125 86.81%
Michael Sauer 41 28.47%
Michael Del Zotto 50 34.72%
Corey Potter 31 21.53%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 144. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
07-30-2009, 10:27 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
whoops.... thanks guys.
No problem. I think your point still stands though. He's an advanced prospect, but there is still plenty for him to learn--and yes, he can learn more at the Juniors level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
Del Zotto's not eligible to play in the AHL next season. It's either the NHL or back to juniors for him.

Edit: I need to stop getting distracted by the TV while in the middle of writing a post. Sorry nyr2k2, I honestly did open the window to post before I saw your post.
No worries, Squish.

Old
07-30-2009, 10:27 PM
mti79

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead94 View Post
I'll give this poll until some point tomorrow, and then I will have one for the 6th defenseman only. It's clear that Redden, Roszival, Staal, Girardi, and Gilroy are the clear runaways with the top 5.

In that poll, I'll include Heikkanen who I forgot the first time around, and we can all vote on the 6th defenseman. After that, we'll pick pairings. Everyone cool with that?
Works for me...

Old
07-30-2009, 10:42 PM
axleone
The Jukebox Junkie

Quote:
I'll give this poll until some point tomorrow, and then I will have one for the 6th defenseman only. It's clear that Redden, Roszival, Staal, Girardi, and Gilroy are the clear runaways with the top 5.

In that poll, I'll include Heikkanen who I forgot the first time around, and we can all vote on the 6th defenseman. After that, we'll pick pairings. Everyone cool with that?
A run off. Very good idea!

Old
07-31-2009, 12:17 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Heikkenen and Sangs as the five and six. Potter as the 7th dman.

Old
07-31-2009, 12:22 AM
FLYLine24
The Mac Truck

Its going to look a little silly if DZ wins this. He's not even going to make the Rangers but yet we are pegging him in a slot

There is ZERO reason the Rangers are going to rush him with the amount of options they have, Gilroy, Sangs, Sauer, Potter, Heikkenen. Who all can be bumped from NHL to AHL at any given point. All much more mature then DZ.

Hes a good prospect, but he's no Marc Staal, he's not making the jump from Juniors to the NHL. Sorry, 1 good preseason game doesn't make him NHL ready.

Old
07-31-2009, 02:49 AM
darko

Redden, Rozy, Staal, Girardi, Sangs and Gilroy...

Old
07-31-2009, 02:52 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post
Its going to look a little silly if DZ wins this. He's not even going to make the Rangers but yet we are pegging him in a slot

There is ZERO reason the Rangers are going to rush him with the amount of options they have, Gilroy, Sangs, Sauer, Potter, Heikkenen. Who all can be bumped from NHL to AHL at any given point. All much more mature then DZ.

Hes a good prospect, but he's no Marc Staal, he's not making the jump from Juniors to the NHL. Sorry, 1 good preseason game doesn't make him NHL ready.

This. MDZ should be with us following year for good. Unless we get decimated by injuries on the blue line I dont really want to see him with Rangers this season. No need to rush him people...

Old
07-31-2009, 02:53 AM
Celestial Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
write in Heikkinen for me...
Me too, I would have voted him if he was in the poll.

Old
07-31-2009, 06:38 AM
LetsGoBlueshirts

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLine24 View Post

Hey! I thought Adam Graves said he was going to make it!?

Old
07-31-2009, 03:06 PM
rmcg11

pastas getting no love on here today haha all kidding aside i think sangs is gonna really impress in camp and if not he'll be up shortly after torts makes potter and sauer wet themselves

Old
07-31-2009, 03:12 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
Heikkinen definitely should've been in the poll. Count a vote from me for Heikki. I voted 5 and him.

Old
07-31-2009, 03:22 PM
eLsKy

staal, girardi, rozsival, redden, gilroy, potter (he got some exp last year)

Old
07-31-2009, 04:20 PM
Mint Berry Crunch
hfbrods pls...

Send a message via AIM to Mint Berry Crunch
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLsKy View Post
staal, girardi, rozsival, redden, gilroy, potter (he got some exp last year)
Ditto.

Old
07-31-2009, 07:44 PM
gravytrain6t

I think at the end of last year's season, Sauer proved he's still not ready yet. Simply put. I thought he was too slow. And that's why he was sent down after a few games.

Potter was able to maintain better body position and can even step up into the play a bit and score a goal.

I thought he was ready last year and was more impressive than Kalinen during training camp (certainly an upgrade to Reitz). Potter appears underrated. I'm not sure why.

If he doesn't make the team this year they should do him a favor like Fahey and trade him to a place where maybe he'll have a chance to play many more NHL games.

Old
07-31-2009, 07:57 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
I think at the end of last year's season, Sauer proved he's still not ready yet. Simply put. I thought he was too slow. And that's why he was sent down after a few games.

Potter was able to maintain better body position and can even step up into the play a bit and score a goal.

I thought he was ready last year and was more impressive than Kalinen during training camp (certainly an upgrade to Reitz). Potter appears underrated. I'm not sure why.

If he doesn't make the team this year they should do him a favor like Fahey and trade him to a place where maybe he'll have a chance to play many more NHL games.
Potter is overrated here, not underrated. He wasn't even that good in the AHL last season. That he didn't embarrass himself in 5 NHL games last season has people believing he's a bottom pairing guy, when he's a number 7/8 defenseman. Last season in the A was a step back for him.

Also, Sauer isn't slow at all. He's pretty mobile for a big defenseman and skates well. I think he was sent back down because he was no longer needed, not because of any glaring deficiency.

Old
07-31-2009, 08:12 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCanada77 View Post
Heikkinen definitely should've been in the poll. Count a vote from me for Heikki. I voted 5 and him.
I think the problem is not only the fact that Rangers fans haven't seen him play before, but haven't heard of him either. I don't even see a scouting report on him.

Have you seen him play? How does he compare to the other guys on the poll if so?

I voted for Gilroy who I've never seen play but I know he's won a Hobey Baker award and I at least caught a glimple of what scouts are saying. But even so, who knows, maybe Sangs will be the better choice afterall. But at least there's some info out there on Gilroy.

But Sather brings in guys like Heikkinen and Ambuhl but no one has a clue over here what these guys can do. Or maybe some do but I haven't seen anything yet.

Old
07-31-2009, 08:18 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Potter is overrated here, not underrated. He wasn't even that good in the AHL last season. That he didn't embarrass himself in 5 NHL games last season has people believing he's a bottom pairing guy, when he's a number 7/8 defenseman. Last season in the A was a step back for him.

Also, Sauer isn't slow at all. He's pretty mobile for a big defenseman and skates well. I think he was sent back down because he was no longer needed, not because of any glaring deficiency.
As soon as Sauer was sent down, Potter was on his way up. Sauer played 3 games and then I guess Torts seen enough and brought up Potter for 5 games until the Rangers made that trade to bring in Morris. That's not accurate?

Old
07-31-2009, 08:22 PM
NY Ranger86

Quote:
I think the problem is not only the fact that Rangers fans haven't seen him play before, but haven't heard of him either. I don't even see a scouting report on him.

Have you seen him play? How does he compare to the other guys on the poll if so?
Ranger fans love shiny new toys. Lets be honest. New acquisitions whether prospects or proven. Look how Sanguinetti just falls off the face of the earth and all we talk about is Del Zotto now.

Old
07-31-2009, 08:30 PM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Ranger86 View Post
Ranger fans love shiny new toys. Lets be honest. New acquisitions whether prospects or proven. Look how Sanguinetti just falls off the face of the earth and all we talk about is Del Zotto now.
Yea, I'm just trying to find out why Sauer was sent down in favor of the "overrated" Potter. Because he was. http://www.rangerstribune.com/2009/0...sent-down.html

Alright, atleast I know I wasn't going crazy. I knew Sauer was sent down in favor of Potter. I guess Tortorella found Potter to be more trust worthy on defense than Sauer. BTW, Sauer is young and i think in the long run will be the better player than Potter. But I'm not sure if he is just yet.

Old
07-31-2009, 08:36 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravytrain6t View Post
Yea, I'm just trying to find out why Sauer was sent down in favor of the "overrated" Potter. Because he was. http://www.rangerstribune.com/2009/0...sent-down.html

Alright, atleast I know I wasn't going crazy. I knew Sauer was sent down in favor of Potter. I guess Tortorella found Potter to be more trust worthy on defense than Sauer.
He found him to be more trustworthy? Because he wasn't enamored with Sauer in his first three games means nothing. The five games he watched Potter were his first experience to that player, so to portray him as being more comfortable with Sauer is a bit disingenuous as it implies he knew Potter previously. And as you said, they brought in Morris, you if anything it indicates Tortorella wasn't comfortable with either player. Which makes sense considering they were rookies in the middle of a playoff race.

If you want to base your opinions of the two players based on cups of coffee, rather than a full season's performance, go for it. But if you're expecting anything significant out of Potter, I guarantee you'll be disappointed. And again, your assessment of Sauer was wrong.

Old
07-31-2009, 08:47 PM
Soks45

Sorry this is OT but how can i be able to vote in these polls?

Old
07-31-2009, 09:20 PM
gravytrain6t

[QUOTE=nyr2k2;20625959]]B]He found him to be more trustworthy?[/B] Because he wasn't enamored with Sauer in his first three games means nothing. The five games he watched Potter were his first experience to that player, so to portray him as being more comfortable with Sauer is a bit disingenuous as it implies he knew Potter previously.And as you said, they brought in Morris, you if anything it indicates Tortorella wasn't comfortable with either player. Which makes sense considering they were rookies in the middle of a playoff race.

If you want to base your opinions of the two players based on cups of coffee, rather than a full season's performance, go for it. But if you're expecting anything significant out of Potter, I guarantee you'll be disappointed. And again, your assessment of Sauer was wrong."

He may not have known Potter personally, but what about conversations with scouts and coaches in Hartford as a possibility.

What's with these guarantees. While you're at it, tell me how the Rangers will finish next season. I have to tell you why they brought in Morris and sent down Potter as if it isn't obvious. Morris is a dinosaur in this league. You don't think Sather may have told Tortorella that he's bringing in Morris to not only help with the power play but to bring more exerience on defense??

And all along, I basically agree with what you're saying anyway. I just don't think Sauer is there yet. He's still very young.

You think Kalinen was more impressive than Potter and Fahey. He got the job because fat ass Glenn brought from Buffalo or wherever and Renney didn't want to make Sather look like the idiot that he is.

I guarantee you were watching the wrong the games last season if you thought Sauer looked any good. He looked like crap. With or without coffee. I had none btw. He didn't look good.

Potter looked much steadier or else he wouldv'e got shipped down after 3 games. Obviously Tortorella didn't trust Sauer so why are you asking me who he found more trustworthy? Yes he found Potter more trust worthy.

Except an opinion. And don't sit there and tell me I'm right or wrong when Sauer only had a cup of coffe in the nhl.

I just said, in the long term I think Sauer will improve. Not sure yet.

Last edited by gravytrain6t: 07-31-2009 at 09:42 PM. Reason: My apolgies to the boards and the OP as i feel i took it too far.
Old
07-31-2009, 09:46 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Mike Sauer was the best defenseman in Hartford last season. Much better than Corey Potter, who was a disappointment. How do I know this? I watched the games. I talked to people that watched the games. I read reports from professionals that watched the games.

Mike Sauer was excelling in Hartford, and the Rangers looked to catch lightning in a bottle. It didn't work out, but the kid didn't embarass himself either. Can you tell me what he did that was so crappy? You're in a tiny minority of people if you thought he looked bad. He looked like a promising rookie making his NHL debut--which being in the middle of a playoff run, we didn't have the luxury of entertaining.

So Potter gets a shot, and looks okay. You can try to spin it any way you want, but if Potter set the world on fire or the organization was comfortable having him on the back line, then they wouldn't have had to bring in a "dinosaur" like Morris. We're talking about two defenseman here who played a total of seven games and were sent back to Hartford. I don't know how you can draw the conclusion from their performances that the organization was "more comfortable" with one than the other, when it seems pretty apparent they weren't entirely comfortable with either.

And yes, Kalinin is better than both Potter and Fahey. He's still a decent bottom pairing defenseman in the league. Fahey is not and likely never will be an NHL defenseman, and Potter looks like a spare part. You can insult Sather all you want over the Kalinin signing, but yeah, he's better than Potter and Fahey.

Of course you're entitled to your opinion. But you said Sauer was slow, which is just a misstatement of the facts. Can I have the opinion that Henrik Lundqvist is morbidly obese? I guess, but it's just not true. It's not true that Sauer is slow.

Old
07-31-2009, 10:40 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Rozi, Deadend, Staal, Girardi, Sauer, Gilroy will be the regulars by the 1qt mark.

Quote:
I mean we could always just skip the poll and go get some beers lol.
Gulden Draak!!!!!!! Settle for nothing less

Quote:
Mike Sauer was the best defenseman in Hartford last season...How do I know this? I watched the games. I talked to people that watched the games. I read reports from professionals that watched the games.

Mike Sauer was excelling in Hartford...He looked like a promising rookie making his NHL debut--which being in the middle of a playoff run, we didn't have the luxury of entertaining.
100% spot on! Sauer is the best all-round defender in Hartford last year. He's had injury issues which have slowed his development and dropped him in the draft. He's a capable defensemen and is ready to be given a real shot at the NHL.

Quote:
...you said Sauer was slow, which is just a misstatement of the facts...it's just not true. It's not true that Sauer is slow.
It's amazing how one person will say something, on this board, then others will continue to repeat it. Like gossip spreading, after a while everyone will be saying it because the post they read is the only knowledge they have and no one will know the truth. If someone like Squish, says Sauer is slow, then I'll start thinking so, until then, I want to see what he's got in the bigs.

It's time for Sauer to join his old Portland teammate.

Last edited by vipernsx: 07-31-2009 at 10:59 PM.
Old
07-31-2009, 11:00 PM
Soks45

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Rozi, Deadend, Staal, Girardi, Sauer, Gilroy will be the regulars by the 1qt mark.
Not if Zherdev is awarded less than 3.8 and we retain him and Dubinsky

Closed Thread