HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Do players want to be an Edmonton Oiler?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-01-2009, 07:09 PM
  #1
ChrisPerish86
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 70
vCash: 500
Do players want to be an Edmonton Oiler?

Given everything that has happened over the few years with big name players not coming to Edmonton, the general senses is that "no one" wants to play in Edmonton.

First off, I am an Oiler fan from birth and will be to death, and call me biased, but I disagree.

For awhile, great players played here because of the history of this franchise and what this franchise did in the 80's to 1990. 5 Stanley Cups in just over a decade is and will always be a "dynasty" to me. But, lately, and with the exception of what we (Oiler fans) call "the run", the Edmonton Oilers have been everything but what their past refers them to be.

This team, if they hope to ever become a dynasty again, needs to start winning, bottom line. I do believe that these "top line players" do not choose Edmonton, primarily because this team does not show year in and year out that they CAN contend for the Stanley Cup. I do believe that if this team did so, players like Michael Nylander, Marian Hossa and Dany Heatley, etc. would and without hesitation play here.

If for one second you think, that the city of edmonton has anything major to do with why these players turn the offer to play in Edmonton down, you are mistaken. Because, can you actually tell me cities like Detroit is better than Edmonton. Hell no, but the Red Wings are a legitimate "legacy" in this league and wil contend for the cup every year while the Oilers do not.

Now, I agree with the facts, Edmonton is not the prefered city in the world but if the Oilers made the playoffs year in and year out and won the odd cup every other year, the best players in the NHL would and consider Edmonton more seriously and I'll bet that they would even sign here for a long time.

ChrisPerish86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 07:24 PM
  #2
Eytinge
Registered User
 
Eytinge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,780
vCash: 500
Why star UFA's don't wanna come to Edmonton: We haven't made the playoffs in three years, and we are not desirable place to live.

Despite that we still signed the top goalie on the market and 2 years ago we got the best offensive dmen on the market for a fair price.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 07:34 PM
  #3
ChrisPerish86
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 70
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eytinge View Post
Why star UFA's don't wanna come to Edmonton: We haven't made the playoffs in three years, and we are not desirable place to live.

Despite that we still signed the top goalie on the market and 2 years ago we got the best offensive dmen on the market for a fair price.
Thats a contradiction, saying why Oilers dont can't sign guys but then respond to Oilers having great guys?

Guys like Khabibulin and Souray are in 2 different scenerios in their careers. Souray is playing closer to his family and Khabibulin got the best contract he could get and will likely finish his career as an Oiler.

BTW, we traded for Visnovsky he did not sign here. He also made it clear he did not want to leave LA, not saying he hates it in Edmonton but his priority was staying with the Kings.

In their prime, young players, is exactly who I am referring about here.

ChrisPerish86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 07:37 PM
  #4
Vdhawan89
#FireLowe
 
Vdhawan89's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 3,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPerish86 View Post
Thats a contradiction, saying why Oilers dont can't sign guys but then respond to Oilers having great guys?

Guys like Khabibulin and Souray are in 2 different scenerios in their careers. Souray is playing closer to his family and Khabibulin got the best contract he could get and will likely finish his career as an Oiler.

BTW, we traded for Visnovsky he did not sign here. He also made it clear he did not want to leave LA, not saying he hates it in Edmonton but his priority was staying with the Kings.

In their prime, young players, is exactly who I am referring about here.
I think I heard in a interview he actually loves it here now...

Vdhawan89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 07:39 PM
  #5
ChrisPerish86
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 70
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdhawan89 View Post
I think I heard in a interview he actually loves it here now...
Oh, i'm not saying he hates Edmonton by any means but if you gave him the option of staying in LA or coming to Edmonton at the time he was traded he would ranking staying in LA over Edmonton.

With that being said I am a huge Visnovsky fan and happy he is an Oiler and enjoys playing here.

ChrisPerish86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 07:45 PM
  #6
oilerfan91
 
oilerfan91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 476
vCash: 500
Players don't want to come here because we don't win.

If the oilers made the playoffs year after year instead of making the playoffs one year then missing them three years in a row players would consider playing for Edmonton.

oilerfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 07:53 PM
  #7
Oil Gauge
Registered User
 
Oil Gauge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
Even during the dynasty years the Oilers never really attracted any big names as far as I know. Most of the dynasty Hall of famers were drafted.

When if ever have the Oilers signed a top level high profile UFA. Aside from Wayne of course.

I think the City of Edmonton does play a Major role in why some players do not want to sign here.

I also think that the teams poor track record in the past also plays a major role in some players decision to play elsewhere.

Every player has different reasons for playing where they do. Some play where they can easily disappear in public. some don't like the pressure of a hockey market. some want to enjoy the weather on their off days. Others want to win. Some players want to play in a hockey market where the home team is a big deal. Some want to go where they can get the most money.

Truth is that the only thing the Oilers and Edmonton have to offer is a Hockey Market and $ right now. Which won't attract a lot of players because playing on a loosing team in a hockey market isn't always fun. So really all they have is $ and there are probably 15 other teams who are willing to spend to the cap. So really we are standing on one leg and are very easy to push over.

Because of this it makes the GM job of the Oilers one of the hardest in the league.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 08:05 PM
  #8
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilerfan91 View Post
Players don't want to come here because we don't win.

If the oilers made the playoffs year after year instead of making the playoffs one year then missing them three years in a row players would consider playing for Edmonton.
Would making the playoffs really make players come to Edmotnon. I don't thinks so. There wasn't this negative crap prior to the Human Rake wanting out. After the Human Rake wanted out, the media crapped all over Edmonton when someone didn't sign in Edmonton. Tanguay wanted out of Calgary but there were no stories on TSN of him wanting out. Reddox didn't accept his QO and TSN says that Brodziak will sign in Europe. After the Oilers signed Reddox, there were no stories of his signing. TSN and all the media only want to talk crap about Edmonton. The media constantly brings up the "no one wants to play in Edmonton" crap.

__________________
"He just ate up Robyn Regehr for dinner, a spectacular play by Hemsky, and Robyn Regehr has got doo doo all over his face" - Rod Phillips call on Hemsky's goal vs the Flames
Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 08:10 PM
  #9
ChrisPerish86
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 70
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
I think the City of Edmonton does play a Major role in why some players do not want to sign here.

I also think that the teams poor track record in the past also plays a major role in some players decision to play elsewhere.
1) I, for one, don't see other than how well the team does can people say playing in Detroit is better than playing in Edmonton.

If the Oilers were atleast a contender, Heatley as an example would say yes immediately when asked to waive his no-trade clause.

ChrisPerish86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 08:10 PM
  #10
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
Even during the dynasty years the Oilers never really attracted any big names as far as I know. Most of the dynasty Hall of famers were drafted.

When if ever have the Oilers signed a top level high profile UFA. Aside from Wayne of course.

I think the City of Edmonton does play a Major role in why some players do not want to sign here.

I also think that the teams poor track record in the past also plays a major role in some players decision to play elsewhere.

Every player has different reasons for playing where they do. Some play where they can easily disappear in public. some don't like the pressure of a hockey market. some want to enjoy the weather on their off days. Others want to win. Some players want to play in a hockey market where the home team is a big deal. Some want to go where they can get the most money.

Truth is that the only thing the Oilers and Edmonton have to offer is a Hockey Market and $ right now. Which won't attract a lot of players because playing on a loosing team in a hockey market isn't always fun. So really all they have is $ and there are probably 15 other teams who are willing to spend to the cap. So really we are standing on one leg and are very easy to push over.

Because of this it makes the GM job of the Oilers one of the hardest in the league.
To what I know, Gretzky actually lured Messier to leave Edmonton. Coffey wanted out because of Slats. Could it be that Slats was the problem during the dynasty years. He was arrogant. Now that the Oilers do have the money, players still avoid Edmonton. Could it be that the arrogance of Slats that has blacklisted Edmonton as a result. I'm beginning to think the problem of the Oilers luring UFAs has a lot to do with the arrogance of Slats.


Last edited by Narnia: 08-01-2009 at 08:19 PM.
Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 08:12 PM
  #11
jumptheshark
Give the dog a bone
 
jumptheshark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: hf retirement home
Country: United Nations
Posts: 52,292
vCash: 500
this topic never ends well

__________________
trying to fend off exwife number 2
45000/010113
GO SHARKS GO
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 08:12 PM
  #12
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPerish86 View Post
1) I, for one, don't see other than how well the team does can people say playing in Detroit is better than playing in Edmonton.

If the Oilers were atleast a contender, Heatley as an example would say yes immediately when asked to waive his no-trade clause.
Heatley wouldn't have waived his NMC no matter if the Oilers were a contender or not. I just feel that the Oilers are blacklisted by the players and Slats and the Human Rake have a lot to do with it.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 08:14 PM
  #13
Fluffy Nuts
Registered User
 
Fluffy Nuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Iraq
Posts: 393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vdhawan89 View Post
I think I heard in a interview he actually loves it here now...
Every player will say they love playing where they currently are. Even if the player hates it, they will still say they like it since they don't want to piss people off. Of course, there are exceptions to that. Pronger, Pitkanen and others have said they did not exactly enjoy it here. I am sure Penner would say he loves playing here even though most of the fans rip on him for being overpaid and has poor conditioning. I bet he'd go fighting in the corners if someone dangled a pork chop over the boards.

Fluffy Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 08:17 PM
  #14
ChrisPerish86
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 70
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Would making the playoffs really make players come to Edmotnon. I don't thinks so. There wasn't this negative crap prior to the Human Rake wanting out. After the Human Rake wanted out, the media crapped all over Edmonton when someone didn't sign in Edmonton. Tanguay wanted out of Calgary but there were no stories on TSN of him wanting out. Reddox didn't accept his QO and TSN says that Brodziak will sign in Europe. After the Oilers signed Reddox, there were no stories of his signing. TSN and all the media only want to talk crap about Edmonton. The media constantly brings up the "no one wants to play in Edmonton" crap.
Are you serious, comparing guys like Brodziak, Reddox and Tanguay to be equal in calibre to Hossa, Heatley, etc.

Brodziak would play here no doubt and Reddox does too, but they have not earned the title of "top player" in the NHL. They are only 4th line players, this topic is for 1st line players.

Here's a question Detroit is in last place and has been for 5 years now and have made no progress to get better while Edmonton has been a contender for those 5 years and have won 2 cups and lost in one final. Also, shows improvment every year to get better, so i ask you, both teams offer you the same contract, who do you choose?

ChrisPerish86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 08:18 PM
  #15
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPerish86 View Post
Are you serious, comparing guys like Brodziak, Reddox and Tanguay to be equal in calibre to Hossa, Heatley, etc.

Brodziak would play here no doubt and Reddox does too, but they have not earned the title of "top player" in the NHL. They are only 4th line players, this topic is for 1st line players.

Here's a question Detroit is in last place and has been for 5 years now and have made no progress to get better while Edmonton has been a contender for those 5 years and have won 2 cups and lost in one final. Also, shows improvment every year to get better, so i ask you, both teams offer you the same contract, who do you choose?
They'd choose Detroit.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 08:20 PM
  #16
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire
 
BoldNewLettuce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Canada
Posts: 6,295
vCash: 157
I think the fact that Pronger, or "prongs" as some call him, got the **** out of dodge immediatly after a fairy tale stanley cup run was the nail in the coffin.

Smyth was traded and no one wants to play here....but in a few years that ought to change....hopefully.

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 08:22 PM
  #17
frag2
Registered User
 
frag2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,385
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Would making the playoffs really make players come to Edmotnon. I don't thinks so. There wasn't this negative crap prior to the Human Rake wanting out. After the Human Rake wanted out, the media crapped all over Edmonton when someone didn't sign in Edmonton. Tanguay wanted out of Calgary but there were no stories on TSN of him wanting out. Reddox didn't accept his QO and TSN says that Brodziak will sign in Europe. After the Oilers signed Reddox, there were no stories of his signing. TSN and all the media only want to talk crap about Edmonton. The media constantly brings up the "no one wants to play in Edmonton" crap.
Maybe its also because the fans scrutinize the players even outside the game. It is understandable for fans to rag on players that aren't performing since they pay the tickets but it seems like the city is notorious [maybe infamous is a better word?] for digging into player lives. Granted, it was the human rake rumors that probably set everything in motion but remember the whole Comrie/Salo fiasco...

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 08:23 PM
  #18
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohaj View Post
I think the fact that Pronger, or "prongs" as some call him, got the **** out of dodge immediatly after a fairy tale stanley cup run was the nail in the coffin.

Smyth was traded and no one wants to play here....but in a few years that ought to change....hopefully.
Are you sure as I doubt anything will change in a few years. However, if the Oilers get a new arena, things could change. I believe the arena is also a reason the Oilers can't lure UFAs.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 08:23 PM
  #19
ChrisPerish86
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 70
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
They'd choose Detroit.
so you'd prefer to lose than to win, that makes a lot of sense.

ChrisPerish86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 08:25 PM
  #20
Oil Gauge
Registered User
 
Oil Gauge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPerish86 View Post
1) I, for one, don't see other than how well the team does can people say playing in Detroit is better than playing in Edmonton.

If the Oilers were atleast a contender, Heatley as an example would say yes immediately when asked to waive his no-trade clause.
Like i said every player is different. Some probably won't go to detroit because they don't want to live in detroit. But a lot of players will go to detroit because they can offer them the $ and have a chance at the cup every year. For players whom don't care where they play why would they choose edmonton over detroit? Both can offer the $ but only one has made the finals for the last 2 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
To what I know, Gretzky actually lured Messier to leave Edmtonton. Coffey wanted out because of Slats. Could it be that Slats was the problem during the dynasty years. He was arrogant. Now that the Oilers do have the money, players still avoid Edmonton. Could it be that the arrogance of Slats has blacklisted Edmonton as a result. I'm beginning to think the problem of the Oilers luring UFAs has a lot to do with the arrogance of Slats.
I think you are desperately grasping on that one. I am confident that something that happened 15-20 years ago has little to no bearing on what UFA's think today. Especially since Slats has been gone for a long time.

The Chris Pronger fiasco might have some bearing on some players wives decisions however.

Slats... really? ridiculous. Maybe players don't want to come here because Steve Smith scored on Fuhr in 86?

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 08:31 PM
  #21
Fluffy Nuts
Registered User
 
Fluffy Nuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Country: Iraq
Posts: 393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
They'd choose Detroit.
Why would they choose Detroit? If the team was crap, nobody would show up. Then there's the fact that the city has a crime problem and I wouldn't want to take my family there or even live in the suburbs of it because it is slowly moving outwards.

Meanwhile, Edmonton would have been doing great, the fans would be fully behind the team and sell out the arena for every game. They'd be a lot more vocal in their support and the city bleeds hockey.

Any sane hockey player would pick a Cup contender than a team that is doubtful to make the playoffs. Even if the outside team offered more money (like Hossa). Not all players will run straight for the money and would rather have the chance at something priceless and that's getting your name on the Cup.

If the Oilers and Red Wings swapped everyone from the janitor to the GM including players, people would rather sign here than there.

Fluffy Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 08:31 PM
  #22
Oil Gauge
Registered User
 
Oil Gauge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 4,497
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Would making the playoffs really make players come to Edmotnon. I don't thinks so. There wasn't this negative crap prior to the Human Rake wanting out. After the Human Rake wanted out, the media crapped all over Edmonton when someone didn't sign in Edmonton. Tanguay wanted out of Calgary but there were no stories on TSN of him wanting out. Reddox didn't accept his QO and TSN says that Brodziak will sign in Europe. After the Oilers signed Reddox, there were no stories of his signing. TSN and all the media only want to talk crap about Edmonton. The media constantly brings up the "no one wants to play in Edmonton" crap.
If the Oilers were a cup contender every year then yes it would attract a lot more players to Edmonton.

You are using 2 completely different situations and comparing them as the same. After pronger wanted out, or post lockout and prior to the lock out are completely different. Before the lock out we never could compete for top level high profile UFA's, so there were never any stories about them not wanting to come to edmonton. After the lockout we all of a sudden could go after UFA's and this is when it came out that they didn't want to come here anyways.

Both the media and the players talk bad about Edmonton, but thats because it is not the most desirable place to play. But if the Oilers and edmonton had more to offer then that would change.

Oil Gauge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 08:32 PM
  #23
Eytinge
Registered User
 
Eytinge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 10,780
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPerish86 View Post
Thats a contradiction, saying why Oilers dont can't sign guys but then respond to Oilers having great guys?
I said star ufa's like Hossa, Chara, etc...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPerish86 View Post
Guys like Khabibulin and Souray are in 2 different scenerios in their careers. Souray is playing closer to his family and Khabibulin got the best contract he could get and will likely finish his career as an Oiler.
We still can attract good players though. Souray and Bulin are two prime examples.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisPerish86 View Post
BTW, we traded for Visnovsky he did not sign here. He also made it clear he did not want to leave LA, not saying he hates it in Edmonton but his priority was staying with the Kings.

In their prime, young players, is exactly who I am referring about here.
I didn't even mention Visnovsky. I was talking about Souray, we managed to sign him to a very fair contract.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 08:46 PM
  #24
Narnia
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Narnia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,394
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Narnia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oil Gauge View Post
If the Oilers were a cup contender every year then yes it would attract a lot more players to Edmonton.

You are using 2 completely different situations and comparing them as the same. After pronger wanted out, or post lockout and prior to the lock out are completely different. Before the lock out we never could compete for top level high profile UFA's, so there were never any stories about them not wanting to come to edmonton. After the lockout we all of a sudden could go after UFA's and this is when it came out that they didn't want to come here anyways.

Both the media and the players talk bad about Edmonton, but thats because it is not the most desirable place to play. But if the Oilers and edmonton had more to offer then that would change.
Doubt it.

Narnia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 08:48 PM
  #25
The Dayvan Cowboy
Registered Genius
 
The Dayvan Cowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,665
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnia View Post
Doubt it.
Nope. It would.

The Dayvan Cowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:28 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.