HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Help me accelerate!!!

Old
07-17-2009, 06:19 AM
steafo

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to steafo
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestZephyr View Post
actually a tip that i can offer.
I use to be a great skater once i reached my top speed and most of the time doing the ladder drills i was average. However, when it came to laps around the ice i usually ended up first.

The thing I learned to improve my acceleration was snapping my feet as they peaked during the stride. the extra snap is what the bure brothers used when accelerating.
Snapping your foot when the toe is just leaving the ice? If thats the case I could see where that would add quite a bit to your stride. I just need to form a habit.

In other news, i've tried a few things since posting this thread. Mainly tried the short choppy strides to start off and then went back into my power stride and it resulted in 1 breakaway and 1 penalty shot both of which I sniped and both of which were definitely a result of making sure I took shorter strides from the beginning up until my 3rd and 4th stride. It seems like common sense but for whatever reason I wasn't doing it before. I'll try the snapping motion as well and hopefully I can train myself to do it with enough repetition.

steafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 11:26 AM
UpGoesRupp

yah, exactly. it's just the extra little dig. it becomes natural very fast.

UpGoesRupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-17-2009, 10:42 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by steafo View Post
I'm looking for a work out that specifically focuses on gaining acceleration in my skating. I have good top end speed but it takes me a bit to get to it. I tend to use my size to shield the puck more than I dangle (RE: Less skilled Marian Hossa)

I'm 6 2" about 190-195lbs in pretty good shape. I am a taller guy so I have a bit of a long stride even though I skate hunched over a bit.

I'm looking for something that would benefit acceleration. Whether that be weight training or a certain type of cardio (HIIT?).
Ok, here's a drill to help inprove your quick twitch muscle fiber in your legs.

Place four sticks about two feet apart from each other starting at the goal line. Then place your toes in a "V" at the first stick.

On the coaches whistle or when you are ready to go. You want to place each skate across into the four sections that the stick will quadrant off for you.

This means that if you have four quadrants and you start of with your right skate, the right skate will land in quadrant #1 on the first step.

Then you will place your left skate in quadrant #2 and so on.

Now, the closer you bring the stick together, the less room you will have and this will force you to make that quick choppy stride to get up to speed.

The choppy stride is the key. Once you pass quadrant #4 you whould be up to full speed. Then continue to the near blue line with full strides to maintain the speed.

Now, DO NOT step on the stick you will bit it....Big Time!

So this drill will actually punish you for doing it wrong. It is like a self built in coach. If you do it wrong...down you go. Make sure you have shin guards on.

Good Luck!
Head coach

07-22-2009, 01:54 AM
BadHammy*

Here's the best video you'll ever find on accelerating on skates,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCgtL...ture=quicklist

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 11:46 PM
Jerome

Day 1: Squat ( 4 x 6 )
Bulgarian Squat ( 4 x 5 ) (also help prevending groing injuries )
side to side with heavy load ( 4 x 4 )

Day 2: Speed deadlift ( 60% of you 1 max rep )
Power clean
Leg curl, HEAVY LOAD

take a good break during workout and avoid over training

If you don't see any improvment, try this...

week one: 4 x 4
week two: 5 x 4
week three: 6 x 4
week four: 8 x 4
week five: 4 x 4
week six: incorporate cluster training

enjoy

Jerome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2009, 10:32 PM
octopi

vCash: 844

Taa daa!

octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 10:41 AM
Pierre Gotye

Accelerating in hockey is all about perfecting your skating and technique.

If you're 260 pounds and out of shape, then getting into better shape will help.

But I am not sure if a certain workout will help you.

Buy Laura Stamm's book. It has some great advice in it to help improve your skating.

For me personally, I read up a bit on starting and found a big increase in how I started from a dead stop to accelerate at top speed(which for me at 6'7 isn't so fast).

Still, as a defenseman I am able to catch up with some forwards.

Remember from a dead stop, you'll want to start with your skates in a 'V' pattern, with your toes pointed outward, then accelerate from there.

You won't hit full speed for about 3-4 strides.

Other than that remember to bend your knees. Balance is the most important things. I even stand up more than I should too much.

Pierre Gotye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 11:08 AM
edog37

Quote:
Originally Posted by steafo View Post
I'm looking for a work out that specifically focuses on gaining acceleration in my skating. I have good top end speed but it takes me a bit to get to it. I tend to use my size to shield the puck more than I dangle (RE: Less skilled Marian Hossa)

I'm 6 2" about 190-195lbs in pretty good shape. I am a taller guy so I have a bit of a long stride even though I skate hunched over a bit.

I'm looking for something that would benefit acceleration. Whether that be weight training or a certain type of cardio (HIIT?).
if you are looking for more explosion, concentrate on exercises designed to improve foot speed so you can transition faster. That being said, use your size advantage to its fullest. You'll never be a Martin St Louis, so why bother? Look at Jordan Staal. Has the most unorthodox stride out there, but once he gets going, very few can catch him. As long as you are getting power out of your stride, you are fine. Something caught my eye though. You say you are hunched over. While proper bending of the knees is vital for balance, perhaps you are bending over too much, thus robbing your legs of power. See if you can get someone to record your stride in a side profile. When your leg is fully extended, your back & legs should be at a nice 45 degree or so line. If you are more than this, chances are you are bending over too far & robbing yourself of power in your stride.

edog37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 11:14 AM
bunjay

cant beat squats for explosive leg strength. weighted front and back if youre strong enough. there are videos on youtube of olympic powerlifters performing unbelievable vertical jumps, big large guys that you expect to fail immediately. check it:

that's all squat right there. i suppose for skating you'd want to do your squats with your legs further apart than usual. you could also just practice jumping holding weights.

the foot snap at the end of the stride that has already been mentioned is all calves. weighted calf raises and lots of skipping would be my plan for that.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 11:32 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
No, that is not due to the squatting, that's due to the Olympic lifters practice of explosive mouvements like the clean and the snatch. That's why they can jump higher and sprint much faster than powerlifters(who squat and deadlift much heavier weights).

Both olympic mouvements are an awesome way of developping fast twitch muscle fiber, they also developp your balance, your rate of force production, your flexibility and your CNS. Squats are good for maximum strength and have its place for vertical jump training, but what you said about oly lifters is just inaccurate.

If you're talking about Squat jumps though, that's a different thing altogether.

And what is an olympic powerlifter? You're either an olympic lifter or a powerlifter, two completely different things.

Here's a study on powerlifting(squatting, deadlifting and bench pressing the heaviest weights possible) vs olympic lifting(variations of Clean and jerk and snatch) on vertical jump improvement:

http://www.biomedexperts.com/Abstrac...otball_players

Olympic lifting provided a significant improvement on sprinting and vertical jumping. That's entirely due to the explosive nature of both mouvements.

Last edited by Little Nilan: 08-01-2009 at 11:48 AM.
Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2009, 06:08 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestZephyr View Post
actually a tip that i can offer.
I use to be a great skater once i reached my top speed and most of the time doing the ladder drills i was average. However, when it came to laps around the ice i usually ended up first.

The thing I learned to improve my acceleration was snapping my feet as they peaked during the stride. the extra snap is what the bure brothers used when accelerating.
jsut came here to post this. it actually helps alot. i like flick my toes toward teh end of my stride to get that last bit of power out of them

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 09:36 AM
bunjay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kareem View Post
No, that is not due to the squatting, that's due to the Olympic lifters practice of explosive mouvements like the clean and the snatch. That's why they can jump higher and sprint much faster than powerlifters(who squat and deadlift much heavier weights).

Both olympic mouvements are an awesome way of developping fast twitch muscle fiber, they also developp your balance, your rate of force production, your flexibility and your CNS. Squats are good for maximum strength and have its place for vertical jump training, but what you said about oly lifters is just inaccurate.

If you're talking about Squat jumps though, that's a different thing altogether.

And what is an olympic powerlifter? You're either an olympic lifter or a powerlifter, two completely different things.

Here's a study on powerlifting(squatting, deadlifting and bench pressing the heaviest weights possible) vs olympic lifting(variations of Clean and jerk and snatch) on vertical jump improvement:

http://www.biomedexperts.com/Abstrac...otball_players

Olympic lifting provided a significant improvement on sprinting and vertical jumping. That's entirely due to the explosive nature of both mouvements.
olympic lifters do lots and lots of squats. im suggesting squats and calf exercises separately because they are much, much easier to do than olympic lifts. while providing more or less the same benefits. if you explode upwards in your squat reps you will increase that explosive strength no problem. combine it with separate calf exercises and you get the same benefit. the leg part of the clean and jerk is essentially the squat motion with a jump at the end. except olympic lifts put a hell of a lot of strain on your shoulders and elbows which does nothing for your skating acceleration.

your study says:

Quote:
No significant pre- to posttraining differences were observed in 1RM bench press, 40-yard sprint, agility, VJ or in VJP in either group.
a couple things i would point out:

-i assume the people taking part in that study already work out plenty as they play college football. my advice is not for such people.
-the group in that study doing powerlifting did no calf exercises as far as i can tell so of course they would get less vertical jump improvement. maybe if you go back and read my advice again you'll notice squats are only one of four things i said i'd do.

olympic lifts are great for explosive power in the legs. of course they are. but if explosive leg strength is your SPECIFIC goal olympic lifts involve a lot of extraneous **** that isnt worth learning and practicing, and offers a much greater risk of injury.

bunjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 11:25 AM
Little Nilan

Send a message via AIM to Little Nilan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunjay View Post
olympic lifters do lots and lots of squats. im suggesting squats and calf exercises separately because they are much, much easier to do than olympic lifts. while providing more or less the same benefits. if you explode upwards in your squat reps you will increase that explosive strength no problem. combine it with separate calf exercises and you get the same benefit. the leg part of the clean and jerk is essentially the squat motion with a jump at the end. except olympic lifts put a hell of a lot of strain on your shoulders and elbows which does nothing for your skating acceleration.

your study says:

a couple things i would point out:

-i assume the people taking part in that study already work out plenty as they play college football. my advice is not for such people.
-the group in that study doing powerlifting did no calf exercises as far as i can tell so of course they would get less vertical jump improvement. maybe if you go back and read my advice again you'll notice squats are only one of four things i said i'd do.

olympic lifts are great for explosive power in the legs. of course they are. but if explosive leg strength is your SPECIFIC goal olympic lifts involve a lot of extraneous **** that isnt worth learning and practicing, and offers a much greater risk of injury.

What you said was that it was all squat, fact of the matter was that it just wasn't, or else powerlifters who didn't clean or snatch would have similar sprinting and vertical jumps, but they don't.

As far as injury risk or strain on the shoulders/elbows, I have no idea who taught you to do them seeing as a well coached lifter is one of the least likely athletes to get injured. And if you're serious about improving, I don't think that the 100$ per year cost to join a club or the extra time would be wasted seeing as you'd get a heck of a lot faster and stronger.

I'd like you to find me someone who got the same benefits from squatting and doing calf exercises than someone else on Oly lifts(not Olympic powerlifts ). Olympic athletes sprint faster than sprinters and jump higher than any other olympic athlete, are you telling me none of the others squat?

It's the nature of the lift, the only squat you could do that would almost reproduce the same production of power in so little time would be a jump squat. Even training a squat explosively, though it would developp your fast twitch fibers more than a regular squat, simply wouldn't developp your CNS and fast twitch fibers as much as a snatch or clean. The power generated comes for the second pull, the double knee bend.

That's not mentioning the whole array of basic mouvements you need to master:

RDL Deadlifts, power shrugs, pull overhead, overhead press, overhead squat, jerk and front squat. Notice there's no specific calf exercise(you'll also notice top coaches in the US don't do isolations), but exercises that train a whole array of muscles(glutes, hamstrings, core, traps, upper back in both pull and push motions). If you wanted to replicate the resuts, it'd be a better bet to train these exercises seperately if you don't want to get into the technical nature of the lifts.

Little Nilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 01:33 PM
ean

Squat, Squat, Squat...

ean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 08:51 PM
elriz

like people have said, the two biggest factors are fast legs, and the snap of your ankles and toes at the end of your stride. strength doesn't mean as much in acceleration as technique.

i am only slightly embarrassed to tell you i learned this in private figure-skating lessons growing up. no tutus, i wore full gear, and she taught me to master my edges and strides.

as an aside, if you have maxed out your power skating, hook up with a figure skating teacher. it was worth it, i am always the fastest guy on the team im playing on and i take great pride in catching up to opposing team members on breakaways and pickpocketing them.

figure skaters are ****ing *fast*, as fast or faster than NHL players.

elriz is offline   Reply With Quote