HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Lines Poll 15 - Marc Staal's Defensive Partner

View Poll Results: Marc Staal's Defensive Partner
Dan Girardi 48 66.67%
Michal Roszival 12 16.67%
Wade Redden 7 9.72%
Matt Gilroy 5 6.94%
Ilkka Heikkinen 0 0%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-02-2009, 10:10 AM
captain9nyr
@captain9nyr

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to captain9nyr
Rangers Lines Poll 15 - Marc Staal's Defensive Partner

Rangers Lines/Depth Chart 2009-2010

Christopher Higgins (40.18%) - Brandon Dubinsky (89.77%) - Marian Gaborik (94.94%)
Sean Avery (36.97%) - Chris Drury (94.12%) - Ryan Callahan (51.02%)
Ales Kotalik (54,76%) - Artem Anisimov (97.56%) - Enver Lisin (62.03%)
Dane Byers (53.75%) - Brian Boyle (91.38%) - Donald Brashear (81.63%)

TBD - TBD
TBD - TBD
TBD - TBD

Defensive Corps (and results of voting)
Marc Staal - 100.00%
Dan Girardi - 99.31%
Michal Roszival - 97.22%
Wade Redden - 95.83%
Matt Gilroy - 86.81%
Ilkka Heikkinen - 30.43% (run-off)

Now, we must determine the pairings.

Who is your choice to be Marc Staal's partner?

NOTE: This is NOT a vote for the 1st pairing. This is simply a vote to determine who Staal's partner will be. Ranking of the pairs will be voted on once we know what the pairs are.

Last edited by captain9nyr: 08-02-2009 at 10:59 AM.
captain9nyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 10:22 AM
axleone
The Jukebox Junkie

Why are we starting with Staal? Who said he's in the first pairing? Why can't we just pick the 1st paring by picking 2 selections from the group of 6?.

axleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 10:29 AM
blue2noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by axleone View Post
Why are we starting with Staal? Who said he's in the first pairing? Why can't we just pick the 1st paring by picking 2 selections from the group of 6?.
He's our best defenseman. Who should be the first pairing? Rosie?

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 10:30 AM
blue2noise

by the way, puck. This was such an awesome idea

blue2noise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 10:33 AM
axleone
The Jukebox Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue2noise View Post
Far better than Staal in the playoffs. And I thought the playoffs are what shows the men from the boys!!!

Old
08-02-2009, 10:36 AM
axleone
The Jukebox Junkie

Quote:
And besides which.... this is suppose to be a poll, not based on what one person thinks!

Old
08-02-2009, 10:56 AM
NYR fan 2

Send a message via AIM to NYR fan 2
Quote:
And besides which.... this is suppose to be a poll, not based on what one person thinks!
And if you look at the poll, you see Marc Staal was the only defenseman that got 100% of the votes. That is why he is on the first pair here.

NYR fan 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 10:57 AM
captain9nyr
@captain9nyr

Quote:
We're starting with Staal because he had the highest percentage of the defensive vote (100%). I never said this was to vote on the first pairing, I just asked who his partner would be. The 1st/2nd/3rd pairing titles will be handed out once we know what the pairings are.

Marc Staal and the partner voted here are not necessarily the first pair, they are just a pair.

The problem with just putting "here's 6, pick 2" is people voting for all kinds of wacky pairs will skew the final vote. The same person that votes for, say, Staal and Girardi gives the same vote to Marc Staal as those that vote, say, Staal and Redden, so all we know is that both people want Marc Staal on the first pairing. That's not too helpful. We need to determine which 2 guys will play best together, so its easier to prompt someone and say "Who should play with X?" than just give a list to the forum and have them all pick 2.

If 100 people vote for Staal, but half vote for Staal/Redden and Staal/Rozsival, and then 100 people vote for Girardi, but half vote for Girardi/Gilroy and half vote for Girardi/Heikkinen, then we end up with Staal and Girardi having the most votes, and, for argument's sake, what if that's not a pairing anybody at all wanted, but everyone voted the pairings differently and the numbers got distorted? Can't have that.

Once we know the 3 pairings, we will vote on the ranks of the pairings.

Quote:
by the way, puck. This was such an awesome idea
Thank you much. Glad people are enjoying it

Last edited by captain9nyr: 08-02-2009 at 11:04 AM.
Old
08-02-2009, 11:01 AM
axleone
The Jukebox Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by puckhead94 View Post
We're starting with Staal because he had the highest percentage of the defensive vote (100%). I never said this was to vote on the first pairing, I just asked who his partner would be. The 1st/2nd/3rd pairing titles will be handed out once we know what the pairings are.

Marc Staal and the partner voted here are not necessarily the first pair, they are just a pair.

The problem with just putting "here's 6, pick 2" is people voting for all kinds of wacky pairs will skew the final vote. The same person that votes for, say, Staal and Girardi gives the same vote to Marc Staal as those that vote, say, Staal and Redden, so all we know is that both people want Marc Staal on the first pairing. That's not too helpful.

Once we know the 3 pairings, we will vote on the ranks of the pairings.

Thank you much. Glad people are enjoying it
Great! Now that thats clear it makes it easier to vote!

Old
08-02-2009, 11:06 AM
axleone
The Jukebox Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR fan 2 View Post
And if you look at the poll, you see Marc Staal was the only defenseman that got 100% of the votes. That is why he is on the first pair here.
Using that logic why vote at all. Let's just make the 2 top vote getters the 1st pair, next 2 the 2nd, ......I think Puck understood what he was doing... just needed clarification.

Old
08-02-2009, 11:15 AM
Chimp

This is a tougher question for me than I believe it is for most. The reflexive response is obviously Girardi. However, I wonder if not the best choice would be to pair Roszival with Staal (who have played well together before) and put Girardi with Redden. One veteran and one young pup with respective roles.

However, if Roszival and Redden can prove to be the solid D pair they were during the playoffs and improve their chemistry further, I would be all for letting them stay together and let Staal and Girardi continue their chemistry.

So for me, it's more of a backwards question: "can Roszival and Redden do just as well as during the playoffs?" than how Staal and Girdardi will fair.

If Staal is considered to be a first pairing D-man, I would put him with Roszival. If not, I would put him with Girardi. If you're asking me, I think Roszival will be more of his old self, after having a good chance to improve his physique, which he didn't have after his hip surgery. So I say:

Roszival - Redden. Torts want them to step up and show why they have their big cheques and I stand behind this statement.
Staal - Girardi

Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 11:17 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
I am a Staal-Rozsival fan. But it appears that Gurardi is going to win this one, which suggests to me that the poll is going to be slightly scewed over the next 2 pairings. Logically Redden and Rozsival are the next best 2 defensemen, from the point of view of most of the people on here.

But with two rookies starting, it makes more logical sense to play one Rookie on the second pairing with Redden/Rozsival, and one on the third pairing with Redden/Rozsival. I expect voters to put Gilroy-Heineken as the third pairing, even though it is unlikely that will actually happen.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 11:18 AM
captain9nyr
@captain9nyr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
This is a tougher question for me than I believe it is for most. The reflexive response is obviously Girardi. However, I wonder if not the best choice would be to pair Roszival with Staal and put Girardi with Redden. One veteran and one young pup with respective roles.

However, if Roszival and Redden can prove to be the solid D pair they were during the playoffs and improve their chemistry further, I would be all for letting them stay together and let Staal and Girardi continue their chemistry.

So for me, it's more of a backwards question: "can Roszival and Redden do just as well as during the playoffs?" than how Staal and Girdardi will fair.

If Staal is considered to be a first pairing D-man, I would put him with Roszival. If not, I would put him with Girardi.
I think an even greater question is do we really want 2 players with a combine zero games of NHL experience on the same pairing? If the main four guys (Staal, Girardi, Redden, Rozsival) fill the top 2 pairings, then Gilroy and Heikkinen comprise the bottom pair.

Hmmm...

Old
08-02-2009, 11:54 AM
axleone
The Jukebox Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
I am a Staal-Rozsival fan. But it appears that Gurardi is going to win this one, which suggests to me that the poll is going to be slightly scewed over the next 2 pairings. Logically Redden and Rozsival are the next best 2 defensemen, from the point of view of most of the people on here.

But with two rookies starting, it makes more logical sense to play one Rookie on the second pairing with Redden/Rozsival, and one on the third pairing with Redden/Rozsival. I expect voters to put Gilroy-Heineken as the third pairing, even though it is unlikely that will actually happen.
Great Point! I wonder if Heikkinen would gets some recognition for the fact that he does have professional experience in Europe and performed fairly well. I know it's not the NHL, but its something!

Old
08-02-2009, 12:09 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Rozsival. The Staal-Girardi pairing really struggled down the stretch and in the playoff series loss. Staal and Rozsival have played well together before as well. Also, I think Staal-Rozsival gives us our most legitimate top pairing of any combination. I know half the board hates Rosie for various valid and nonsense reasons, but that's how I see it.

Then I'd go Girardi-Heikkinen and Redden-Gilroy. I think those pairings are fairly well rounded.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 12:39 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Rozsival. The Staal-Girardi pairing really struggled down the stretch and in the playoff series loss. Staal and Rozsival have played well together before as well. Also, I think Staal-Rozsival gives us our most legitimate top pairing of any combination. I know half the board hates Rosie for various valid and nonsense reasons, but that's how I see it.

Then I'd go Girardi-Heikkinen and Redden-Gilroy. I think those pairings are fairly well rounded.
This. Some people have short memories or are just letting their hatred for Rozy/love for Girardi overshadow any rational thought.

Staal & Girardi were our worst d-pairing in the playoffs with a -3 rating each. Rozy was our only d-man who did not have a minus rating, with an even rating of 0. Rozy and Staal have played well together in the past and I would love to see them paired together again.

Also, does anyone really think Girardi is deserving as a 1st-pairing d-man considering the way he played last year? He really struggled last year and I think he needs to prove in camp that last year was just a fluke and he can be the solid d-man he once was.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 12:49 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
last year Wade Redden won the first pairing right defenseman poll by a landslide....

Quote:
Also, does anyone really think Girardi is deserving as a 1st-pairing d-man considering the way he played last year?
Do you really think Rozsival is deserving as a 1st-pairing d-man considering the way he played last year?

Brian Boyle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 12:52 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post
last year Wade Redden won the first pairing right defenseman poll by a landslide....

Do you really think Rozsival is deserving as a 1st-pairing d-man considering the way he played last year?
He had a mediocre regular season and played excellent down the stretch and in the playoffs. I'd say yes.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 12:53 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
After Zherdev is dealt to Tampa....Paul Ranger...lol

Seriously, Girardi.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 12:56 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by -31- View Post

Certainly more deserving than Girardi. Rozy was recovering from hip surgery for half the season, what was Girardi's excuse for playing so poorly from November until the end of the season?

Also, as mentioned before, Rozy has already exhibited good chemistry with Staal, something that Staal and Girardi failed to exhibit in their short time as defensive partners in the playoffs. A lot of people are forgetting that it was Rozy and Redden who got the most minutes in the playoffs, not Staal and Girardi.

OverTheCap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 05:39 PM
darko

Staal - Girardi

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 06:11 PM
ThirdEye

Girardi, although I think Rozsival and Redden are both better players. Girardi is more physical, but he's hasn't really shown he can be consistent against top forwards. I'd still put Girardi with him since that pairing seemed to have had some chemistry last season

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote