HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zherdev Arbitration: 1 Year at $3.90M

Old
08-02-2009, 03:14 PM
Cerebral

vCash: 500
Zherdev Arbitration: 1 Year at $3.90M

http://njmg.typepad.com/rangersblog/...9-million.html

The speculation is that the Rangers might walk away from this contract. If that's the case, I call them up now and tell them we're looking to make a deal.

Zherdev at $3.9M is a fair deal and I refused to believe Tambellini can't move a contract or to in order to free up the room necessary to slot him into the lineup.

08-02-2009, 03:17 PM
Redwood Original
El Presidente

If the Rags walk away he is a UFA correct?

If we traded for him he would be signed at 1 yr $3.9MM and we couldn't negotiate a new/longer term deal could we?

Redwood Original is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 03:17 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerebral View Post

The speculation is that the Rangers might walk away from this contract. If that's the case, I call them up now and tell them we're looking to make a deal.

Zherdev at $3.9M is a fair deal and I refused to believe Tambellini can't move a contract or to in order to free up the room necessary to slot him into the lineup.
The question is, which contract or contracts? You have to think the Rangers won't want to be taking someone like Penner back if it's a trade and that would mean either moving Grebs, Gilbert or a combination of Nilsson + to make room.

And, if the Rangers walk away, Zherdev is UFA and may not want to play in Edmonton. If he is a free agent, I think TB or Phoenix might be likely destinations.

dashingsilverfox* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 03:22 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashingsilverfox View Post
The question is, which contract or contracts? You have to think the Rangers won't want to be taking someone like Penner back if it's a trade and that would mean either moving Grebs, Gilbert or a combination of Nilsson + to make room.

And, if the Rangers walk away, Zherdev is UFA and may not want to play in Edmonton. If he is a free agent, I think TB or Phoenix might be likely destinations.
Two things:

One, I'm not insinuating the Oilers should move a big contract to the Rangers. If the Rangers are considering walking from Zherdev's deal, they're likely not interested in picking up a big money player. I would certainly dangle one of Gilbert or Grebeshkov but it would more likely end up being something like Nilsson straight up. I would then look to move another contract in a dump to a team like the Islanders.

Two, I believe you're completely correct. If Zherdev hits unrestricted free agency, the odds of us being big players are pretty slim. If we want to acquire him, I'm guessing it will need to come via trade.

Cerebral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 03:23 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePerfectStorm View Post
If we traded for him he would be signed at 1 yr $3.9MM and we couldn't negotiate a new/longer term deal could we?
I believe we would be allowed to start negotiating a long-term deal in January.

Old
08-02-2009, 03:26 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Two things:

One, I'm not insinuating the Oilers should move a big contract to the Rangers. If the Rangers are considering walking from Zherdev's deal, they're likely not interested in picking up a big money player. I would certainly dangle one of Gilbert or Grebeshkov but it would more likely end up being something like Nilsson straight up. I would then look to move another contract in a dump to a team like the Islanders.

Two, I believe you're completely correct. If Zherdev hits unrestricted free agency, the odds of us being big players are pretty slim. If we want to acquire him, I'm guessing it will need to come via trade.
Do you think Grebs or Gilbert aren't worth more than one year one Zherdev who will hit free agency in one year?

Nilsson for sure would be great to move and then, perhaps, try and find a home for Staios or send him to the minors.

Old
08-02-2009, 03:28 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Rangers only have five NHL defensemen signed for next season: Redden, Roszival, Girardi, Gilroy and Staal. I think they expect Sanguinetti to take the next step, but maybe they would be interested in Staios/Gilbert/Grebeshkov/Smid.

Staios and Schremp would be ideal

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 03:30 PM
VelvetJones

Don't think we can pick anyone up without moving some salary out.

VelvetJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 03:34 PM
RKD

Seems like a good opportunity, but the Oilers haven't exactly filled us with confidence over past few weeks about their intentions of making moves. We'll see, though. They said they'd be prepared to make the difficult moves if need be a little while ago (such as burying someone in the minors). Moving Nilsson would be ideal - if Calgary can move both Vandermeer and Primeau, I still think Nilsson may have some value.

08-02-2009, 03:35 PM
Cerebral

Quote:
Do you think Grebs or Gilbert aren't worth more than one year one Zherdev who will hit free agency in one year?

Nilsson for sure would be great to move and then, perhaps, try and find a home for Staios or send him to the minors.
I would be expecting a quality prospect in return if it was one of our two defencemen going the other way. The Rangers likely wouldn't want to pick up $4M in salary anyway so I doubt it's a plausible scenario.

Perhaps something like Nilsson + Schremp would work if Sather is looking to acquire a similar but cheaper replacement-level player. Turn around and move Staios to a team looking for a veteran player and I would feel pretty happy with our roster.

Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky
Zherdev-Gagner-O'Sullivan
Moreau-Cogliano-Pisani
Jacques-Pouliot-Stortini

Visnovsky-Gilbert
Souray-Grebeshkov
Strudwick-Smid
Peckham

Khabibulin
Drouin-Deslauriers

That's a decent looking team with some solid potential if one or two of Gagner, Zherdev, Cogliano, or O'Sullivan turn into more consistent offensive threats.

If nothing else, Zherdev would add a more reliable offensive player to our top 6 which is something we desperately need. He's certainly an enigmatic character but he's at least turned into a 25-35-60 guy over the last couple of seasons.

Old
08-02-2009, 03:36 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ryan- View Post
Seems like a good opportunity, but the Oilers haven't exactly filled us with confidence over past few weeks about their intentions of making moves. We'll see, though. They said they'd be prepared to make the difficult moves if need be a little while ago (such as burying someone in the minors). Moving Nilsson would be ideal - if Calgary can move both Vandermeer and Primeau, I still think Nilsson may have some value.
If it's Nilsson, another contract has to be going out too. Staios?

Sather would likely have less of a problem sending either one to the minors if he had to.

Old
08-02-2009, 03:37 PM
OilTownHero

Nillson and Schremp for Zherdev.

OilTownHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 03:38 PM
tiger_80

Quote:

That's what I expected he would get and that's probably roughly what he's worth. Why don't Rags like it?
I think Oilers should try and trade for him. I don't know what it would take though. I'd try to move Nilsson of all forwards. Would be nice if Moreau could be included in the package too.

More realistically, we are probably looking at a deal centered around Zherdev and Gilbert.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 03:38 PM
dashingsilverfox*

Quote:
I would be expecting a quality prospect in return if it was one of our two defencemen going the other way. The Rangers likely wouldn't want to pick up $4M in salary anyway so I doubt it's a plausible scenario.

Perhaps something like Nilsson + Schremp would work if Sather is looking to acquire a similar but cheaper replacement-level player. Turn around and move Staios to a team looking for a veteran player and I would feel pretty happy with our roster.

Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky
Moreau-Cogliano-Pisani
Jacques-Pouliot-Stortini

Visnovsky-Gilbert
Souray-Grebeshkov
Strudwick-Smid
Peckham

Khabibulin
Drouin-Deslauriers

That's a decent looking team with some solid potential if one or two of Gagner, Zherdev, Cogliano, or O'Sullivan turn into more consistent offensive threats.

If nothing else, Zherdev would add a more reliable offensive player to our top 6 which is something we desperately need.
Yeah, that actually looks much better and Zherdev and Penner could easily be swapped depening on the situation. Zherdev would make the PP more dangerous too.

Old
08-02-2009, 03:41 PM
hfboardsuser

I would LOVE to have a forward corps like so:

Tanguay ($3.5M)-Horcoff-Hemsky
Penner-Gagner-Cogliano
Nilsson-O'Sullivan-Zherdev ($3.9M)
Jacques-Brule-Stortini
Reddox, SMac

Visnovsky-Souray
Gilbert-Grebeshkov
X-X
Strudwick

Khabibulan
JDD

$55,260,833
Cap space: $2,539,167

Yes, it would require getting rid of Moreau, Pies and Staios, but Pouliot + Smid + 1st maybe gets us Zherdev. Moreau to LA for a pick, Staios somewhere and we sign two $1M players to anchor the third pairing.

Last edited by hfboardsuser: 08-02-2009 at 03:47 PM.
hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 03:44 PM
RKD

Quote:
If it's Nilsson, another contract has to be going out too. Staios?

Sather would likely have less of a problem sending either one to the minors if he had to.
Moving Staios would give me some renewed confidence in Tambellini, to be honest. As far I can tell, Lowe wouldn't even entertain the thought of moving him (especially with all the interest a few trade deadlines ago), because he's "one of his guys". Staios is fine for a third pairing guy, but the organization needs to step up and realize that he shouldn't be making near $3 million. It's crazy.

Not to mention that Peckham is still here waiting for a chance. With Staios and now the re-signed Strudwick back in the fold, he's really having to earn his spot. Which is unfortunate, because I'd like to see him get a fair number of games this year.

RKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 03:46 PM
Asher

I wouldn't give up Smid or a 1st for Z, much less both.

Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bugg View Post
I would LOVE to have a forward corps like so:

Tanguay ($3.5M)-Horcoff-Hemsky
Penner-Gagner-Cogliano
Nilsson-O'Sullivan-Zherdev ($3.9M)
Jacques-Pouliot-Stortini
Reddox, SMac

Visnovsky-Souray
Gilbert-Grebeshkov
X-X
Strudwick

Khabibulan
JDD

$55,260,833
Cap space: $2,539,167

Yes, it would require getting rid of Moreau, Pies and Staios, but one of those + Smid + 1st maybe gets us Zherdev. Moreau to LA for a pick, Staios somewhere and we sign two $1M players to anchor the third pairing.
Ugly looking lineup. Who's going to do the PK? Who's taking faceoffs? Who's playing it tough in the top nine? Terrible, terrible lineup. I like Cerebral's lineup much better. Without aquiring a top line sniper, that would be the best alternative...

Oilfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 03:47 PM
Hockey Fan #751

Considering the Rangers are likely to walk away from the settlement, the Oilers could probably acquire him from the Rangers for a late round draft choice (since that would be better than nothing) - provided no other teams are interested in acquiring him.

Then, any players who you would have considered trading (Nilsson, etc) you could move somewhere else for a draft pick, prospect or other asset. Or you could bury that contract in the minors, that sort of thing.

Don't forget, you can be above the cap during the off-season.

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 03:49 PM
Rafters

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Ryan- View Post
Moving Staios would give me some renewed confidence in Tambellini, to be honest. As far I can tell, Lowe wouldn't even entertain the thought of moving him (especially with all the interest a few trade deadlines ago), because he's "one of his guys". Staios is fine for a third pairing guy, but the organization needs to step up and realize that he shouldn't be making near $3 million. It's crazy.

Not to mention that Peckham is still here waiting for a chance. With Staios and now the re-signed Strudwick back in the fold, he's really having to earn his spot. Which is unfortunate, because I'd like to see him get a fair number of games this year.

as of right now the Rangers only have 4 NHL dmen signed....maybe a Staios+Nilsson package would interest them...heck throw in Schremp for a 4th if they are interested

Rafters is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 03:52 PM
hfboardsuser

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post
Who's taking faceoffs?
Who does it on our current team?

Quote:
Who's playing it tough in the top nine?
Again, who does it in our top nine?

Quote:
Terrible, terrible lineup. I like Cerebral's lineup much better. Without aquiring a top line sniper, that would be the best alternative...
Try to win games run-and-gun with a C+ level offense and see what happens.

hfboardsuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 03:52 PM
Eirhead*

Quote:

Penner-Horcoff-Hemsky
Moreau-Cogliano-Pisani
Jacques-Pouliot-Stortini

Visnovsky-Gilbert
Souray-Grebeshkov
Strudwick-Smid
Peckham

Khabibulin
Drouin-Deslauriers

If nothing else, Zherdev would add a more reliable offensive player to our top 6 which is something we desperately need. He's certainly an enigmatic character but he's at least turned into a 25-35-60 guy over the last couple of seasons.
If JFJ and MAP are in the starting line-up I will have zero hope for this team. Stortini is a model of the kind of effort these types of players need to bring to the table... JFJ and MAP don't deserve to hold Stortini's skates. We better have a couple rookies like Nash, Schremp or Brule making the jump to replace those guys.

EDIT: I'd like to see a skilled first and second line, a grindy third line, and another skilled line for the 4th getting maybe 4 minutes a game to prove themselves and fight for a position on the team.

Eirhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 03:53 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilTownHero View Post
Nillson and Schremp for Zherdev.
We may need to throw in some picks, but I'd do that. Then put Staios on waivers/buyout.

Zherdev - Horcoff - Hemsky
Penner - Gagner - OSullivan
Moreau - Cogliano - Moreau
Jacques - Brule - Storini

Lubo - Grebs
Souray - Gilbert
Peckham - Strudwick

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 04:01 PM
Eirhead*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40oz View Post
We may need to throw in some picks, but I'd do that. Then put Staios on waivers/buyout.

Zherdev - Horcoff - Hemsky
Penner - Gagner - OSullivan
Moreau - Cogliano - Moreau
Jacques - Brule - Storini

Lubo - Grebs
Souray - Gilbert
Peckham - Strudwick
Zherdev is a right winger, why not have him fill-out the 2nd line instead and put O'Sullivan in the LW position? Also, I think O'Sullivan might crack the first line That would be super!

Eirhead* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 04:06 PM
The Bored Man
Tier 2 Fan

http://mapleleafshotstove.com/index....ted/#more-5314

I saw this link over at the general free agent talk board. This Maple Leaf blogger says Zherdev enjoys being the centre of attention, and that he wants to be looked upon as the go-to guy.
IF he were to come here, I think fans could arrange that

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote