HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Thinking about quiting.

Old
08-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

vCash: 500
Thinking about quiting.

Anybody else every have the thought of not playing hockey anymore? The past couple of days I've been thinking about not playing anymore, I also had these thoughts last year.

I play hockey during the winter, and I swim during the summers. I'm competitive in both of these sports, but not the point were I would have a future in them...It's basically a higher competitive level then an average rec league.

I was wondering if anybody else ever had these thoughts?

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 02:29 PM
Globalz

Dont you play hockey and swim for the fun? not everybody has the talent to play pro but that's not a reason to quit. Most people on HF play for the love of the game and to keep themself in some sort of shape.

Globalz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 02:35 PM
noobman

Well, yes and no.

I was pulled out of hockey for a little bit... though not by choice (see Hockey Story thread). Long story short is that I was in tremendously poor shape when I came back, and I had all but lost whatever skills I had worked to achieve earlier.

I think at that point more than any other I wanted to quit... or rather continue to NOT play hockey. Getting back to form seemed like an insurmountable task. I stuck with it though... and although I'm still not where I'd like to be, I've finally gotten back to a point where playing is actually fun again.

What you might be going though is the typical "it's too nice for hockey" mentality. Once September comes and goes you'll be pumped to play hockey, especially since the NHL season will be starting. In the meantime, enjoy your swimming.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 02:36 PM
Toonces
The beer kitty

If you're not enjoying yourself, stop playing for a while. It's a good way to see wether or not you're playing because you love the game, or because it is something you've always just done.

99% of people don't have a any kind of future playing sports, but that's not why they play to begin with.

Toonces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 02:36 PM
EmptyNetter

I quit playing hockey for about two years (after picking up the sport 3 years before). It was for financial reasons, though. Money was tight and $15-20 per week to play pickup seemed excessive for something that was just a hobby. The problem is that I didn't replace it with any other physical activity and I put on about 20 lbs. I started playing again by joining a league and I'm heading into my 4th season with the same team. For me hockey is my primary exercise, it's my release after a tough day at work and it's also a way for me to meet people. It would be tough for me to find an alternative that offers me so much.

I guess your quitting depends on your age, your level of activity outside of hockey and of course your reasons for quitting. Quitting just because there's no future in it seems like an odd reason -- if you still enjoy playing then just play for the love of the game. If you're a student and playing interferes with your studies -- you're always crunched for time and have to let something go -- it makes sense to put your gear in storage so you can pick it up again sometime in the future. Care to elaborate on why you're thinking of quitting?

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 02:57 PM
Deadbolt401

If ya don't have fun anymore, maybe take a break?

I've re-upped into a Dek League this year and ohh man is it fun. Made me realize how much I love the game. Hell, I got slashed the other night and actually smiled. I missed it.

Deadbolt401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 03:01 PM
Placebo Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadbolt401 View Post
If ya don't have fun anymore, maybe take a break?

I've re-upped into a Dek League this year and ohh man is it fun. Made me realize how much I love the game. Hell, I got slashed the other night and actually smiled. I missed it.
What he said, take a break. You may feel the drive to play again. When you do the same thing over and over again it's repetitive and some people feel the need to change it up. You may or may not want to play again after but I wouldn't say straight up quit. That's sometimes why people come out of retirement, they miss the game more than they think.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 05:34 PM
WickedWrister

If you're considering quitting, then quit.

WickedWrister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 05:49 PM
Wetcoaster

Have you considered quilting?

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 05:58 PM
Hollywood Couturier

Bingo I swear to god if you quit I will lose all respect for you . Don't quit man things are rough at times but if you really love the game It'll come back to you. So maybe take a break? You know all my crazy stories of getting hurt and every single time i've gotten hurt I couldn't stand not playing hockey. But all in all it's probably best to take a break and let everything come into focus. Is their any specific reason why you're considering it?

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 06:43 PM
Hockeyfan68

I would recommend taking a break from it if you feel like quitting.

You will either miss it greatly or you will realize that you made the right choice to walk away from it for a while.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 07:00 PM
hkyplayer03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
Bingo I swear to god if you quit I will lose all respect for you . Don't quit man things are rough at times but if you really love the game It'll come back to you. So maybe take a break? You know all my crazy stories of getting hurt and every single time i've gotten hurt I couldn't stand not playing hockey. But all in all it's probably best to take a break and let everything come into focus. Is their any specific reason why you're considering it?
I agree take a break from the game. I'm kind of in the same position where I'm not entirely enjoying the sport and have dropped in performance. In my case I may have gone overboard by playing 3 times a week and being content with allowing other players on the team to take over the game (scoring wise). The game definitely feels less rewarding and less enjoyable if your just coasting games/shifts and really not putting in your best effort.

hkyplayer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 08:54 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

The thing is, I can't play hockey right now because of my wrist, so I am taking a break...The only time I feel like quitting is when I go long periods of time without playing. During the season I'm fine.

Backstrom #19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 12:41 AM
Shark Staal
Woah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
The thing is, I can't play hockey right now because of my wrist, so I am taking a break...The only time I feel like quitting is when I go long periods of time without playing. During the season I'm fine.
I am disappointed in you.

Let your wrist heal, then play.

Shark Staal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 02:11 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

Quote:
Same thing has happened to me before, I think it happens to everyone. You will likely come back with a vengeance, just chill out for now.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 03:53 AM
mikehmb

Send a message via AIM to mikehmb
I've been thinking about this, too. I might have to stop playing soon anyway, so maybe I should just quit. I have to drive about an hour to play anyway, maybe that's part of the problem.

mikehmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 08:34 AM
Talent Analyst

Last year, I was so pissed off about my team and coaches that I quit for the year. So 1 complete year off. I played with some beer team and outside and I can say I'm 2x the player I was during that time. Now I got motivation to come back into competition hockey.

If you feel like it.. then quit.

Talent Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 09:16 AM
EmptyNetter

Quote:
Keep in mind you could be exhausted. Your body might be telling you to get some rest and do something else for a month or two. Don't decide anything until it's time to register for next season, then see how you feel.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 02:32 PM
stick9

Pft...what a bunch of lame a** replies. I can't believe people are telling the kid to just quit...worst advice ever! You achieve nothing by quitting, and those telling others to up and quit are most likely quitters themselves.

Backstrom #19 - it happens to everyone. Take some time off. I am sure you'll start to miss it. A break every once and a while does some good. Helps keep things fun and fresh, and doesn't make it seem like such a grind. I don't play year round anymore because the break makes me want to play all that much more. That first time out after a summer off is a blast.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 03:10 PM
Semin

I don't have a future in hockey. But I just cant spend a winter not playing it. There were times where I thought about quitting because of the politics and when they choose teams they choose the players they like. Not the players that have the skill. I have been cut so many times by teams that I should have made. But since my parents never kissed the coach's/evaluators ass I was cut. But still if you quit your going to regret it. By the middle of winter you will sit there wishing you played. Its the best sport to play. Go out and play, be competitive. Enjoy the best game on earth bud.

Semin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 04:06 PM
noobman

edit: wrong thread. but yeah, don't quit... take some time off.

Last edited by noobman: 08-03-2009 at 05:03 PM.
Old
08-03-2009, 06:58 PM
GuitarAwesome

The thought of not playing hockey ever again sickens me. It is my favorite thing to do, I think about it all the time, I consider it my passion (other than engineering). If you don;t feel strongly about it, perhaps it's time to give it up.

GuitarAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:38 AM
Pog Form

I'm planning on taking this year off, actually. I've been playing three times a week during the summer, which is too draining on top of work and trying to maintain a relationship (not to mention family and friends). And because I'm not in the shape I used to be, it's been frustrating not being able to play the way I know I can.

That said, I'm going to drop the hockey this winter and replace it with one or two trips to the gym each week (I don't have enough time or energy to work out at all right now). This should help get me into better condition for hockey and for life in general. I'm also hoping that being away from the rink will give me a little perspective and help me remember why I play. I feel like I've just been "going through the motions" lately which is disappointing when I think about it.

It's going to be strange not playing on a regular basis and I'm sure that watching hockey on TV will drive me crazy, but if I can turn that into motivation for working out and my eventual "comeback", then that's great. And if I'm fine not playing, then at least I'll know I don't need it in my life. Either way, I think this will be a good decision.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:07 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pog Form View Post
I'm planning on taking this year off, actually. I've been playing three times a week during the summer, which is too draining on top of work and trying to maintain a relationship (not to mention family and friends). And because I'm not in the shape I used to be, it's been frustrating not being able to play the way I know I can.

That said, I'm going to drop the hockey this winter and replace it with one or two trips to the gym each week (I don't have enough time or energy to work out at all right now). This should help get me into better condition for hockey and for life in general. I'm also hoping that being away from the rink will give me a little perspective and help me remember why I play. I feel like I've just been "going through the motions" lately which is disappointing when I think about it.

It's going to be strange not playing on a regular basis and I'm sure that watching hockey on TV will drive me crazy, but if I can turn that into motivation for working out and my eventual "comeback", then that's great. And if I'm fine not playing, then at least I'll know I don't need it in my life. Either way, I think this will be a good decision.
You can't take 1 hour out of your week for hockey? TBH, I need it to stay sane. Even a low-level pickup game once or twice a month might serve you well.

Old
08-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Pog Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
You can't take 1 hour out of your week for hockey? TBH, I need it to stay sane. Even a low-level pickup game once or twice a month might serve you well.
Thing is though, I don't have a car, so a one-hour pick up game turns into a three- or four-hour ordeal when you include travel.

I still might play once or twice a month like you suggest, but I don't want to make a commitment to play on a regular basis.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote