HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Notices

CAR-NJ ECQF Revisited

Old
07-27-2009, 04:26 PM
Citizen Cane
Honoring AAC/11th AF

vCash: 500
CAR-NJ ECQF Revisited

I'm sure others noticed that this past week, the NHL Network replayed all of our 7-game series with the Devils. It gave me the chance to once again notice what a tremendous series that was, and so I thought it deserved one last moment in the sun.

I've been watching our team for some time now, and I've seen a lot of 'favorite moments,' but ther last five minutes of game seven in this series is an instant classic for me now. Great goaltending play (up until the final seconds for Brodeur). But that Jokinen goal that came at the end of around 35 seconds working our tails off in the Devils zone, with Gleason diving to keep the zone, passing from his knees, and Pitkanen already seeing the back door to Jussi before the puck arrived - that's just awesome. And then the Staal goal seconds later. The team was just not willing to let the game go.

The whole series was one that deserved to be more than a first-rounder. It seems there is one first-rounder every year that is just a cut above, and this year it was a series practically no one saw. I feel like its our own little secret in Jersey/NYC and the Carolinas, regardless of whether you liked the outcome or not.

There is a telling line in the MSG broadcast of game 7 late, where they go to a break and Doc Emrick (thinking they are already out) says to Chico "Do you believe this?"

What a treat to watch (again), especially for the first time on TV for a few of those home games. Would have been nice to see the Forslund/Tracy feed for the home games, but Doc and Chico were pretty good to listen to in game 7.

Citizen Cane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 04:47 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

This thread is lacking in youtube videos

I remember going from utter despair, cursing up a storm to literally leaping off my couch and having one of my friends who came over to watch the game jump into my arms. Twice. Words couldn't describe that I saw. I was at the game against Toronto in December of last year where they scored 2 goals in the last minute to tie and then win in OT. I was at Game 2 against Jersey in 06 but the emotional swing in this one was just amazing.

It's also worth noting that that was the 2nd time that Pitkanen attempted that pass to Jokinen. His first attempt was blocked, then kicked around before Gleason made the diving save. If at first you don't succeed...

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 05:01 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Forget YouTube videos, Hulu's got the entire game:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/71886/nhl-...7?c=Sports/NHL

My favorite part was just the reaction of Brodeur shortly after Staal scores. The camera zooms in on him, and you can see behind the mask, he just gives this disappointed sigh and a look like "What is it with this team?"

Blueline Bomber is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 06:15 PM
What the Faulk
The Real Swede Shady

Holy ****, I love Hulu

EDIT: And Chico pointed out what I tried to point out anyway. Guess I always missed that watching the FSN feed. And it was an attempt to Brind'amour on the first try anyway, not Jokinen

What the Faulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2009, 08:08 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
My favorite part was just the reaction of Brodeur shortly after Staal scores. The camera zooms in on him, and you can see behind the mask, he just gives this disappointed sigh and a look like "What is it with this team?"
I love it. As I've said before, nothing feels sweeter to me than beating the Devils. I know they are not in our division and maybe people don't mention the rivalry with them as anything special, but to me New Jersey will always be public enemy #1.

I know going back to the Whalers days Montreal was always beating us, and if not them Boston...and even in 99 when we were the Canes it was Boston again...and in '02 the Red Wings gave us a lot of disrespect (especially that #^&%er Brett Hull), but still...that 2001 series against NJ made me angrier than I have ever been at anything hockey related. When the series ended, I was mad. I wanted revenge.

Revenge happened in 2002, 2006, and now 2009. I hope we play them again in next year's playoffs too.

...oh, and yes, I want to get that image of Brodeur enlarged and put it in my den, so I can stare at it every day and look at the disappointment, the devastation, and the frustration etched on his face.

ChuckW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 08:36 AM
Anton Bubdobin
RANGERS WIN

Ditto for the NJ hate.

Only topped by that for Mitch "Mayberry" Albom.

Anton Bubdobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 09:12 AM
GIN ANTONIC

YES! Will forever remember the epicness of this series and this game. Me and Cardiac Canes were out at the bar and we found some anti-NJ fans to cheer along with. I remember we had ordered one last pint and said something along the lines of 'Well, it was one hell of a series and the Canes gave it all they had...' And then that happened... then many more beers were ordered

GIN ANTONIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 09:26 AM
clementnorman

i watched the last 12 min of game 7 this mourn its was still great. whit staal and pits had to be on the ice for 8 of the 12 min.

clementnorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 12:07 PM
zambonidriver85

I love Tripp's faint squeal when Staal scores the go-ahead goal.

zambonidriver85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2009, 12:20 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambonidriver85 View Post
I love Tripp's faint squeal when Staal scores the go-ahead goal.
Where can I find video of this? I've got the game recorded but with the other commentators.

Old
07-28-2009, 03:39 PM
NancyNC

Too bad the NHL Network replay used the NJ announcers. Although that meant that we had the entertainment of hearing the dumb but amusing "Bump-A-Marty Party" line that Chico used after Jussi's 0.2 second goal. Someone will have to make a sign with that phrase for the first home game vs. NJ this year...

NancyNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 10:37 AM
ANTON HIS HOLINESS

That series had everything you could ask for. IMO it was one of the best playoff series in recent memory

ANTON HIS HOLINESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 09:58 PM
ChuckW
We'll be back.

[QUOTE=NancyNC;20586102we had the entertainment of hearing the dumb but amusing "Bump-A-Marty Party" line that Chico used after Jussi's 0.2 second goal. Someone will have to make a sign with that phrase for the first home game vs. NJ this year...[/QUOTE]

Mos def! That would be awesome...the sign should say:

"It's a Bump-A-Marty Party!"