HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Columbus Blue Jackets
Notices

FSOhio production is TERRIBLE! (All CBJ broadcast kvetching here)

Old
08-02-2009, 10:07 PM
CBJSprague24
"Scoreboard, son."

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
Bill Davadge, he was our radio color commentator, former Miami of Ohio hockey coach. Radio is getting the color commentator from Syracuse (but his name is eluding me now)
Bob McElligott, isn't it?

CBJSprague24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 08:01 PM
Randy Butternubs
Makin Bacon Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 View Post
Bob McElligott, isn't it?
Yes! Thank you.

Randy Butternubs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 04:46 PM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Bill Davidge

Maybe its just me but Bill Davidge is really giving me a reason to watch the game with the mute button on. I know he's on the Jackets payroll but c'mon!! Call a spade a spade and enough with the cheerleading!! We also don't need to know how detailed reports on how good our opponents are. He should also be fined $1 every time he says "exactly right", he'll be broke by the end of the season! I like ya Bill but ease up already! Bring back Gare!

Paisano* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 04:53 PM
Socks
HeadFake

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBum View Post
Maybe its just me but Bill Davidge is really giving me a reason to watch the game with the mute button on. I know he's on the Jackets payroll but c'mon!! Call a spade a spade and enough with the cheerleading!! We also don't need to know how detailed reports on how good our opponents are. He should also be fined $1 every time he says "exactly right", he'll be broke by the end of the season! I like ya Bill but ease up already! Bring back Gare!
To say I'm not a fan of Davidge as an on-air talent would be putting it mildly. Danny Gare FTW!

Socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 05:05 PM
Skraut

Hate to dig this thread out of the grave, but I got to thinking...

I think that Blue Jackets Hockey should move to ABC 6
and have that simulcast on Channel 5 in Cleveland, 9 in Cincy, 22 in Dayton, and 13 in Toledo.

Why ABC Sports you ask? Well, they have the perfect intro for the Jackets...

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 05:17 PM
jktsfan*

I thought I would like him. He's nice in person but I get so annoyed listening to him. He needs to come up with some new phrases

I vote for George Matthews to be on TV - I really like that guy

jktsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 05:19 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

George and Bill need to be back together. My vote is to move George to TV when Rimmer's contract expires.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 05:26 PM
Matthew
F.A.R.T on Mike Todd

Send a message via AIM to Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
George and Bill need to be back together. My vote is to move George to TV when Rimmer's contract expires.
It appears that the Suits have no interest in re-signing George. His contract expires after this season.

Matthew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 05:35 PM
leesmith
"We're NEVER Done!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
It appears that the Suits have no interest in re-signing George. His contract expires after this season.
If that's so, The Suits are stupid.

leesmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 05:36 PM
jktsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesmith View Post
If that's so, The Suits are stupid.
Recent gameplay may back up your assumption

jktsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 06:58 PM
Halfboard
New Look

Bill Davidge.............................he just doesn't get any better than that!!

Halfboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 06:59 PM
oxcamel

I really thought Davidge would be good on the TV as I liked him a lot when I listened to him on the radio and enjoyed the pregame spots last year (esp when he and Gare did the coaching spots). I really thought he would put Rimer on notice when he messes up calling the game (ie Calling CBJ the Panthers or spending 10 games calling Russell Trevor Litowski after he changed numbers). He is good when breaking down the game but he has lost something on TV when you are actually get to see what he is describing. Sometimes I wonder what game he is watching. Last night, he referenced a 'Tape to Tape' pass that was too far in front of Hejda (I believe) and he played it off the boards. Maybe he was just letting the puck do the work. Another good example was the Vermette deflection a few games ago that they swore Raffi scored on when it was obvious from overhead view he never came close to redirecting the puck. Sometimes it seems he doesn't want to be wrong even in the face of evidence to the contrary.

oxcamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 07:13 PM
oxcamel

oxcamel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 07:15 PM
dru
Jarmo Unchained

Send a message via AIM to dru
I liked Danny Gare but Bill Davidge is an upgrade. He speaks the exact same way he has on the radio for the past 8 seasons so it doesn't bother me when throws his euphemisms around. He played hockey for Ohio State and coached Miami U so he's got the mentality of both a player and a coach. I think he speaks well and is pretty level headed. Gare who reminded me too much of my drunk dad.

dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:33 PM
cbjhockey6

I was looking forward to seeing him on TV, but I have been dissapointed in the results. He was great on the radio, maybe he should go back next season. If I hear "Let the Puck do the work" one more time, what the heck does that really mean anyways! Of course, with the way they are playing, its as hard to watch as it is to listen.

cbjhockey6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-22-2009, 11:49 PM
Happy Pony

Here's the problem as I see it. On the radio George is shouting all the time, so when Davidge manages to chime in with a cliche it seems intelligent. On tv Rimer pauses for no reason (well, probably to take/make another drink but I digress) therefore Davidge feels he has to say something so he is forced to spew cliche after cliche and it gets old. Fast.

Last edited by Happy Pony: 12-23-2009 at 03:14 AM. Reason: grammar, yo
Happy Pony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 01:40 AM
Hipster Letestu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Mike View Post
Here's the problem as I see it. On the radio George is shouting all the time, so when Davidge manages to chime in with a cliche it seems intelligent. On tv Rimer pauses for no reason (well, probably to take/make another drink but I digress) and Davidge feels he has to say something so he is forced to throw all cliche after cliche and it gets old. Fast.
So you're saying Rimer is like Bob Uecker in Major League... and our team sucks... and there might be talks of moving the team... this is getting stranger by the day...

Hipster Letestu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 06:30 AM
RBarRegular

Bill's problem is that he's got to let the microphone do the work.

I fired off an email yesterday to FSOhio complaining about the poor quality of production of Jackets games. I never mentioned the broadcast booth but brought up their camera angles, graphics on the screen while the puck is in play, etc..

I'm waiting for their response.

RBarRegular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 07:28 AM
plong123
Litebrite Stinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
After 8 seasons, I'm actually fine with that. I've been listening to radio games lately, and he makes it so hard to visualize what's going on. I'm over his style, it's all excitement and very little substance.

plong123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 08:23 AM
Matt

wait until you hear Bobby Mac call a game. You will think of the good old days with those great radio broadcasters from Boston, Detroit, Chicago and St. Louis

Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 08:47 AM
Double-Shift Lassť
Just post better

Quote:
Originally Posted by plong123 View Post
After 8 seasons, I'm actually fine with that. I've been listening to radio games lately, and he makes it so hard to visualize what's going on. I'm over his style, it's all excitement and very little substance.
This has always been my issue with George. Love his passion, but he's of little to no help when listening to a game on the radio.

That said, I've never been a fan of Bill's or Jeff's work, either.

Old
12-23-2009, 08:54 AM
blahblah

Davidge makes Rimer more tolerable. So, that's a good thing. Oh wait. It's good to know, however, that every goal is a goal scorers goal. Matches up well with every line change being on the fly. I also love that when we get our first penalty, 12 minutes into the game, we hear the lecture about how we need to stay out of the box and show disipline. Or how we're keeping our shifts short.

I've only listened to a couple of games, but that guy with George hasn't been bad. He actually been insightful a couple of times and gave me an idea on what was actually happening on the ice. Plus he doesn't spend the game yelling into the mic (more on Bill then George).

Raffi2 isn't bad. Although Jim Day didn't bother me all that much. That dude in the studio doesn't do a whole lot for me. But whatever, he doesn't annoy me either.

blahblah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 09:56 AM
Handyy

I guess I have gone numb when it comes to Rimer and Davidge. I just don't listen to what they have to say. I guess the moment I decided that was, when Davidge said over and over and over again how a play should have been whistled on delayed penalty when the puck hit a CBJ stick. The play continued as the CBJ player didn't have any control to the puck and the other team scored. But this dude still after 10 minutes looks at the replay and argues a simple rule. At some point I guess he realized how the rule actually is and then started to argue that the rule should be different. I mean seriously...

But the most frustrating thing about Jackets broadcasts for me are still intermissions. You can see how they have decided to make it without any extra expenses. I'm so freakin' jealous of the Minnesota broadcasts, where they have rink outside the arena and they actually do plays on skates from previous period and explain why it happened (at least last year they had it). They also have other fun stuff, what makes the intermission very short.

But, at this point I would be happy to even see highlights from other games...

I still choose the other team's broadcast always when there is a possibility for it.

Handyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 09:46 PM
plong123
Litebrite Stinger

Davidge, 3rd period vs Dallas: "One word, that you'd like to eliminate, and that is "a track meet".

LOL it's like a George Bush-ism

plong123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-23-2009, 10:12 PM
Timeless Winter
Oceans of Grey

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Timeless Winter
LMfao, luckily I had the Dallas feed for the 2nd and 3rd periods, they were actually really good, called the game, said all the players names right, and were generally nice towards the Jackets, way too nice.

Timeless Winter is offline   Reply With Quote