OT: NHL08 Released & other video game talk here

Old
08-02-2009, 08:47 PM
RPIBruin

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to RPIBruin Send a message via MSN to RPIBruin
Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
I get the feeling that Jack Edwards would not only refuse to leave the recording booth until he was done telling us what he really thinks of Sean Avery, but that he would also be the most highly-downloaded commentator in the game
Just imagine how the crew would feel as he unloaded his revolutionary war and farmer story!

RPIBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 09:51 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPIBruin View Post
Just imagine how the crew would feel as he unloaded his revolutionary war and farmer story!
They may have to make that download rated M. HBO should really give this guy his own show where the day after a game, he re-calls it by watching tape. Jack Edwards + microphone - FCC language regulations = !!

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 10:18 PM
SPQR 17

If they can fix the goal scoring glitches from 09 and the fighting system then there is no way they could make a better NHL game. I'm really glad the fantasy draft is back too.

SPQR 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 11:10 PM
slapshot5543

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPQR 17 View Post
If they can fix the goal scoring glitches from 09 and the fighting system then there is no way they could make a better NHL game. I'm really glad the fantasy draft is back too.
What, you don't like clearing the puck on a pk and having it bounce off the goalies skate and into the net?

slapshot5543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 11:20 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
Originally Posted by slapshot5543 View Post
What, you don't like clearing the puck on a pk and having it bounce off the goalies skate and into the net?
I'm really gonna miss two glitches:

1. Defenseman gets a pass from down low, skates it the high slot, goes to take a slapper, two defenders go down, aim across your body and high: probably a 33% chance of going in with a good player.

2. What I'll call the Phil Kessel: get the puck up until it's one forward on two D, heel drag at the blueline while you go wide, lure the D just close enough to go after the puck, pull it back, move the stick across your body to the backhand to beat the goalie: closer to a 50-65% chance of going in. Higher with a big-bodied power forward with good hands and speed.

Old
08-02-2009, 11:34 PM
SpitfireIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureConsiderations View Post
I'm really gonna miss two glitches:

1. Defenseman gets a pass from down low, skates it the high slot, goes to take a slapper, two defenders go down, aim across your body and high: probably a 33% chance of going in with a good player.

2. What I'll call the Phil Kessel: get the puck up until it's one forward on two D, heel drag at the blueline while you go wide, lure the D just close enough to go after the puck, pull it back, move the stick across your body to the backhand to beat the goalie: closer to a 50-65% chance of going in. Higher with a big-bodied power forward with good hands and speed.
I'm having a heck of a time winning on the superstar mode, how the heck do you score?

SpitfireIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 11:36 PM
slapshot5543

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpitfireIX View Post
I'm having a heck of a time winning on the superstar mode, how the heck do you score?
You switch teams and pull the goalie. Then switch back and score on the open net.

slapshot5543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 11:43 PM
FutureConsiderations

Quote:
That was kind of the one drawback to 09: you couldn't score unless you were cheating with glitches. My suggestion is to experiment with the skill stick in and around the net: a lot of times one well-timed move is better than a lot of little, high-risk moves.

For starters, go into shootout mode from the main menu and skate in on goal keeping the puck to just your forehand. When you're say 3-4 feet from the crease, switch it to your backhand and shoot quickly - the goalie is usually a sitting duck. Build variations off of this to draw the D in and manipulate them (they're more willing to get out of position if you go a "protect puck" move to your backhand and come across the ice, kind of teasing them to go for it). From there, work around them, go backhand, and you'll score easily.

EDIT: I feel like a complete loser now, but I found this video out there that explains what I'm talking about since it's hard to describe:

Last edited by FutureConsiderations: 08-02-2009 at 11:49 PM.
Old
08-03-2009, 05:57 AM
RealKrug47*

Patrick Kane is the cover athelete, but i made custom covers of Phil Kessel, Tim Thomas, and Marc Savard. with the splatter effect EA put on the cover, and the rink in the backround.

RealKrug47* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 03:40 AM
SPQR 17

Quote:
Learn how to use the skill stick properly, simple as that. By using the skill stick you can keep possession of the puck, draw penalties, and score nice goals. For example, by pushing the skill stick to the left/right you can change the angles of your passes or you can keep the puck away from pokes and stick lifts. It just takes time to figure out, but I'm sure you'll be able to win on superstar once you get the hang of it.

SPQR 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 04:00 AM
Nicholas723

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruWINS View Post
Patrick Kane is the cover athelete, but i made custom covers of Phil Kessel, Tim Thomas, and Marc Savard. with the splatter effect EA put on the cover, and the rink in the backround.
can you upload those?

Nicholas723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 06:49 AM
RealKrug47*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickTheBruinsFan90 View Post
can you upload those?

i dont really know how to upload.

Old
08-04-2009, 06:52 AM
RealKrug47*

here is a video of EA Sports talking about the all-new Be a GM mode in NHL 10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gkC0MglGqR8

Old
08-04-2009, 09:42 AM
RussellmaniaKW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruWINS View Post
i dont really know how to upload.
you can photoshop a video game cover but you don't know how to post an image on a message board?

RussellmaniaKW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:58 AM
Fair Warning

I can't wait for the return of Fantasy Draft!

Fair Warning is offline   Reply With Quote