HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

The All Capitals Fantasy Discussion/Inquiries/Injuries Thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-02-2009, 08:08 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
The All Capitals Fantasy Discussion/Inquiries/Injuries Thread

What will the Caps lines look like?

Last edited by Langway: 08-03-2009 at 10:34 AM.
Old
08-02-2009, 09:43 PM
tim

vCash: 50
It's really hard to tell at this point, and will be until training camp. A lot depends on how Morrison (C) and Knuble mesh, and if Nylander still doesn't fit.

The assumed forward lines however, are something like:

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Knuble
Fleischmann - Morrison - Semin
Laich - Steckel - Fehr
Bourque - Gordon - Bradley

Notably missing Nylander and Clark. Laich, Steckel, and Bradley performed very well as a line during the playoffs, so Bradley may become a regular on the third line.

In reality, Boudreau changes his lines up all the time. Line makeup could be something like:

14/21 - Morrison - Semin
21/14 - 39/92 - 16/17/10
56/15 - 15/39 - 10/16/17

Going by player numbers (56 is Bourque).

As for D - I don't know pairings very well.

Morrisonn - Green
Alzner - Poti
Erskine - Jurcina

Schultz, Pothier

Someone else can help with these. There are 8 defensemen, and one is expected to be moved (Morrisonn?). Alzner is expected to suit up full time, but we have no solid evidence.

Old
08-02-2009, 10:04 PM
Alex28*

vCash: 500
What I'd want,

ES:

Ovechkin Morrison Laich (if Ovechkin can put up 50 goals with Zubrus and Clark he should have no problem here, and he doesn't benefit much from playmaking centers anyway. Laich should be able to get 30, Morrison should be able to go 20-50 if he rebounds, he's a beast at picking off rebounds and jumping into the play, creating space as well)
Semin Backstrom Knuble (almost as good as 1st line, Semin and Backstrom have great chemistry as both like to slow the play down, Knuble could keep up with them and do all the boardwork/net crashing grit work).
Bourque Steckel Fleischmann (Fleischmann has the playmaking and sniping duties, Steckel has the net crashing/defensive responsibilities, Bourque is a mixture of the two)
Clark Gordon Bradley

Green Poti (emerged as a good pairing, Green has free range with Poti covering for him)
Alzner Jurcina (had pretty good chemistry, both improved towards the end of the year)
Pothier Erskine (nice mix of puck movement and grit for a 3rd pairing)

PP1:
Semin - Backstrom - Knuble
Ovechkin - Green

PP2:
Laich-Morrison-Fleischmann
Poti-Bourque (thinking there might be a St. Louis thing going on with Bourque weaving in and out of the slot)

PK1:
Steckel-Semin
Erskine-Alzner

PK2:
Gordon-Bradley/Fleischmann
Jurcina-Poti

Also should be noted I consider Semin much more effective at LW than RW, even if we prefer him to be RW positionally. Rather shift Fleischmann to RW if it comes to that, most of his "highlight reel" goals I've seen came from the right side.

Old
08-02-2009, 10:23 PM
SSM12

Ovy - Backis - Semin

Laich/Flash - Ben Mo - Knuble

with Knuble and Semin rotating every few games IMO

Old
08-02-2009, 10:45 PM
tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
What I'd want
what you want is never what you get. I think the OP was looking for likely lines.

Old
08-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tim View Post
what you want is never what you get. I think the OP was looking for likely lines.
With Boudreau nothing is certain. Except Fleischmann and Schultz getting top 6 and top 4 minutes, respectively. No matter what happens. Ever. Unless they are kneecapped. DO IT GMGM!

Old
08-02-2009, 11:10 PM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

Quote:
It's really hard to tell at this point, and will be until training camp. A lot depends on how Morrison (C) and Knuble mesh, and if Nylander still doesn't fit.

The assumed forward lines however, are something like:

Fleischmann - Morrison - Semin
Laich - Steckel - Fehr
Bourque - Gordon - Bradley

Notably missing Nylander and Clark. Laich, Steckel, and Bradley performed very well as a line during the playoffs, so Bradley may become a regular on the third line.

In reality, Boudreau changes his lines up all the time. Line makeup could be something like:

14/21 - Morrison - Semin
21/14 - 39/92 - 16/17/10
56/15 - 15/39 - 10/16/17

Going by player numbers (56 is Bourque).

As for D - I don't know pairings very well.

Morrisonn - Green
Alzner - Poti
Erskine - Jurcina

Schultz, Pothier

Someone else can help with these. There are 8 defensemen, and one is expected to be moved (Morrisonn?). Alzner is expected to suit up full time, but we have no solid evidence.
The forwards are bang-on for the most part.

The defence is off a little. It looks like Alzner is going to spend another year in Hershey, and I expect Schultz and Pothier to both see the ice before Jurcina and Erskine.

Morrisonn - Green
Poti - Schultz
Erskine - Pothier
Jurcina

Poti - Green
Schultz - Pothier
Erskine - Morrisonn
Jurcina

Morrisonn - Green
Poti - Jurcina
Schultz - Pothier
Erskine

The possibility's are endless, but I would expect one of Jurcina/Erskine to be the first to sit.

Old
08-02-2009, 11:27 PM
tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstrom #19 View Post
It looks like Alzner is going to spend another year in Hershey
I really hope not. There's only so much a guy of his skill level can get out of the league.

Old
08-03-2009, 12:46 AM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
I was just wondering who Knuble would be playing with.
Anyway Osala gets called up this season?

Old
08-03-2009, 01:13 AM
Alex28*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers View Post
Based on what we've been hearing Knuble is expected to be with Ovechkin and Backstrom, but he'll have to earn it.

Osala's got a small chance as an injury call up, maybe 4-5 games at best. We've got an abundance of bottom 6 "scoring" wingers with Bourque, Fehr, Clark, and Fleischmann or Laich(One of those will get top 6 minutes), all of whom would be above him on the pecking order. On the energy/utility bottom 6 winger side, we've got Beagle and Bradley ahead of him as well. Gordon and Steckel are obvious. So if you really wanna see him come back in a year unless we're decimated by injuries.

Old
08-03-2009, 04:29 AM
HTFN

Quote:
Originally Posted by init2winit View Post
Alex28, you tend to have a good opinion on some topics, but I am curious as to your reasoning for giving Semin the better linemates than Ovechkin in most line predictions. JW.
I think it has to do with the fact that Ovechkin has done phenomenally without good linemates anyway, so the better playmaking center should go where he can have the best direct effect, and cater to the play style of who he's with. BMo is adequate, and Laich is really coming on strong, which still probably puts them at the second and second/third lines respectively, but like he said, Ovechkin has put up 50+ with Zubrus, so it's not like he requires the assistance with decent players in the mix.

Meanwhile, a second pairing with a two first line players in Semin and Backstrom, and a guy I really look forward to seeing in Knuble could push Backstrom into 100 point territory, and get Semin close (provided he has a healthy season). Using those 6 forwards, I'd say that's actually one of the better possible setups which would contribute to arguably the most offensively potent team in the NHL.

Last edited by HTFN: 08-03-2009 at 04:34 AM.
Old
08-03-2009, 04:51 AM
Seksen

1. The combination of Ovechkin - Bäcks - Knub seems to be an obvious fit.
2. I think Laich is somewhat underrated and hope the 2nd line will be Semin - Morr - Laich
3. Fehr has an opportunity to play on the 2nd, but he will have to stabilize. Fleischmann - Steckel - Fehr. Steckel needs to take huge responsability defensively to make this combo work out.
4. Bradley - B.Gordon - Bourque. I really hope that Bourque can pan out this year, working his way up the depth chart.

Old
08-03-2009, 08:28 AM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

It's not going to be a popular opinion, but I think that Clark should skate on Ovechkin's wing for a month or two unless it really starts dragging the first line down.

Last postseason, it looked like his speed was back. He needs to get his confidence back and maybe his hands will follow. If it can jump start his game and convert his bad contract back into a fair one, it's a risk well worth taking.

Ovechkin - Backstrom - Clark
Semin- Morrison - Knuble
Laich - Steckel - Bradley
Flash- Gordon - Fehr/Bork
Nylander

Old
08-03-2009, 08:30 AM
strungout
Professional Killer

Ovie - Backstrom - Knuble
Laich - Morrison - Semin
Flash - Steckel - Bradley
Pandolfo/Bourque - Gordon - Clark/Fehr

Old
08-03-2009, 08:44 AM
txpd

Time to refresh the fantasy thread again before these questions overwhelm us.

Old
08-03-2009, 09:02 AM
tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers View Post
Figured this question was coming. The obvious choice is Ovechkin/Backstrom, but considering they brought Morrison in, and their Michigan ties, you may see those two together on the second line with Fleischmann or Semin (if he plays top line).

Osala will get his fair share of call-ups this year, I'm guessing. All depends on injuries but for this team, it's sort of expected at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpd View Post
Time to refresh the fantasy thread again before these questions overwhelm us.
Likely, but this isn't necessarily a fantasy question. Looks like a Flyers fan who misses his player. But yeah, could just want him for fantasy too. Same difference.

Old
08-03-2009, 09:14 AM
Backstrom #19
Fire them all

I also wouldn't mind seeing this.

Bourque - Morrison - Semin
Flash - Laich - Fehr
Clark - Steckel - Bradley
Gordon

Old
08-03-2009, 09:52 AM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

Bruce changes it up. We need to address a few scenarios to get a real feel for our lines.

Will we go with a checking line or not. It seems we say yes, but how many games did Bruce ever use one? His vision is attack offensively and a few goals from Steckel shouldnt change his vision; perhaps only reinforce that Steckel is a stud in big games. What Bruce may fail to see is that indeed a good defense generates offense. I contend a checking line will pot more goals that 3 failed top 6 forwards thrown together on 3. Bruce will have to rethink his overall offensive approach to go with two scoring lines.

You have to account for Flash scoring a goal. That shakes up two lines automatically. When he is invisible for the next game, that shakes up two more lines.

Ovi Backis is automatic and is the starting point of our lines. I hope BMo is going to get time with Ovi. Bruce broke up Ovi and Nick in the Pens series and it largely failed. But he did it, and will do it again. And thats fine. I want to see Ovi BMo

Ovi playing with Semin is the other big factor. Together they kicked ass and took names last fall and we won games. The nay sayers that lobbied that they must be kept apart hopefully saw they dont need to be. I want to see Bruce use that more in the regular and post season again.

What is the total number of possible line combos? 12000? I wonder how many we saw last year.

Old
08-03-2009, 11:47 AM
tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Ovi Backis is automatic and is the starting point of our lines. I hope BMo is going to get time with Ovi. Bruce broke up Ovi and Nick in the Pens series and it largely failed. But he did it, and will do it again. And thats fine. I want to see Ovi BMo
Why? The only time I want those two playing together is on the second PP line, and even then, that means Ovechkin is playing too much.

If Ovechkin is playing with Morrison, that means Backstrom is having problems (or Ovechkin is, or Morrison can't play with Semin, etc).
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyHolt View Post
Ovi playing with Semin is the other big factor. Together they kicked ass and took names last fall and we won games. The nay sayers that lobbied that they must be kept apart hopefully saw they dont need to be. I want to see Bruce use that more in the regular and post season again.
It's fun to put all your eggs in one basket, but it's a recipe for disaster. Semin is just as talented (stick wise) as Ovechkin, if not more so. If you put all your power in one line, sure, they'll score, but what about for the other 35-40 minutes they aren't on the ice?

Old
08-03-2009, 12:34 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

All valid points. But bruce is going to do everything you suggest he shouldnt, so why fight it. Go with it. Maybe we need to have so called "majority of the time" lines. Personally, I feel the playoffs is the last time I want him to try out new stuff, like a checking line. He needs to try this stuff regular season.

A few new looks:

Flash in favor
Ovi BMo Semin
Flash Nick Knuble

Flash in the doghouse.
Ovi BMo Laich
Semin Nick Knuble

Old
08-28-2009, 01:41 PM
wiercioch2010*

Fantasy Draft

Now I'm no Capitals fan, so I'm completely unbiased. If you were to choose, who would you want on your team: Ovie, Crosby or Malkin. I would pick Ovechkin myself.

Old
08-28-2009, 01:43 PM
PlantersOye

Ovie first

No brainer? idk.

Old
08-28-2009, 01:53 PM
wiercioch2010*

Thank you, you need scoring and who better than #8.

Old
08-28-2009, 04:02 PM
um

ovechkin-backstrom-knuble
flieschmann-morrison-semin
bourque-steckel-laich
bradley-gordon-fehr

green-morrison
poti-alzner
jurcina-pothier

4 callups nylander,clark,schultz,erskine ****ing GM sucks

Old
09-06-2009, 12:35 PM
Godfather

#1 Goalie?

Will Simeon Varlamov take that spot from Jose, just because of the playoffs?

Is he going to get the most starts? 60-70 games?

Closed Thread