HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Bruins in trade talks with 2 Western Teams regarding Kessel

Old
08-02-2009, 10:48 PM
dafoomie
Eat Mor Chikin

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to dafoomie
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFonzy View Post
Hmm so by your estimation, the Bruins would have been the top team in the Eastern Conference not in 08-09,l but in 06-07 if they had kept Thornton?

LOL. Good one, man.

Just about every NHL team excluding Pens, Wings, Ducks, Canes (4 teams that have won Cup since Thornton went to Sharks) can only DREAM of being 'set back' from laughing stock to Cup Contender as quick as Bruins did by dumping Thornton.
What Chiarelli did to rebuild the roster was in no way aided by the Thornton trade, he had nothing of value to show for it. What does a rebuilding team want with Brad Stuart, Wayne Primeau, and Marco Sturm, who were all UFA's at the end of the year? He had no choice but to blow up the whole roster, the only guys left today from before Chiarelli are Bergeron, Sturm, and Thomas.

If Mike O'Connell had done his job instead of trying to save his job, he'd have used the Thornton trade as a tool for rebuilding. If Chiarelli had ANYTHING worthwhile to show for Thornton, a couple of solid young pieces in place, 06/07 could've been avoided entirely. Those two seasons were the worst time to be a Bruins fan in 40 years. 96/97 was nowhere near as bad as that.

To say that the Thornton trade helped Chiarelli is to severely understate the incredible job he did in turning this team around. Between the day he was hired and training camp, he went out and got Chara, Savard, Kessel, Lucic, and Rask. He turned pending UFA's Stuart and Primeau into Ference and Kobasew, he turned Boyes into Wideman, and he signed Sturm and Thomas.

The Thornton trade does not get any better regardless of what followed. The Dryden trade wasn't suddenly great for the Bruins because they happened to sign Bobby Orr a couple years later. Far from helping them, the Thornton trade was a disaster that they had to overcome in order to get where they are.

dafoomie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 10:51 PM
catters078

Dallas isnt involved but I wouldnt mind offering a deal centred around Benn and Niskanen for Kessel. (plus whatever parts of a package need to be added)

Seems fair on both parts...

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 10:54 PM
LordLucic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by catters078 View Post
Dallas isnt involved but I wouldnt mind offering a deal centred around Benn and Niskanen for Kessel. (plus whatever parts of a package need to be added)

Seems fair on both parts...
I would LOVE that deal straight up for Kessel.

LordLucic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Wpg Jets Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawksfan12 View Post
No. Kane isnt going anywhere.
Its Kane or Toews! Kane is gone next year unless they can unload some serious salary.

Wpg Jets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 11:02 PM
Abyss
GO BRUINS

Send a message via AIM to Abyss Send a message via MSN to Abyss
Quote:
Originally Posted by eklunds source View Post
Vancouver doesn't really need to add Kessel - we have a balanced (albeit unspectacular) offense as it is... However, you have to think that when a player like Kessel becomes somewhat available, you entertain the thought of acquiring him.

One of Bernier, Raymond, Hansen (young forward NHL-ready with top-6 potential)
+
One of Sauve, Ellington (defensive prospect with 2nd pairing potential, Sauve moreso than Ellington)
+
1st rounder (likely in the 20-24 range)

The Canucks don't have a lot of defensive depth (RIP Bourdon) so they're not ideal partners, but would that be close?
I hope it wouldn't be close. None of those players Boston needs in any way.

Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 11:28 PM
Johnnybegood13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
The rumour is "two westcoast clubs" - that would exclude Edmonton.
Title heading says "2 western" teams.

Johnnybegood13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 11:38 PM
galiano

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan22 View Post
Ahhh, being stuck 'on the coast' you may have missed geography lessons but the 'West Coast' doesn't necessarelly mean along the shore line. Alberta, as well as Sask, Man and BC are on the "West Coast" of Canada....you know, west of Ontario..It doesn't have to be taken literally...
I think you better check on your grade 3 geography. There is no one in Canada who would consider Saskatchewan, Manitoba or Alberta to be West Coast.

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 11:55 PM
DetroitWhat

Valterri Filppula + Gustav Nyquist + 1st Round Pick for Phil Kessel

DetroitWhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 01:12 AM
Ched Brosky

Mason Raymond or Jannik Hansen, Michael Grabner and a 1st round pick

Ched Brosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 01:18 AM
Joey Moss
5-14-6-1

vCash: 815
Quote:
The rumour is "two westcoast clubs" - that would exclude Edmonton.

If true it would be two of Vancouver, San Jose, Anaheim, and Los Angeles.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 02:08 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy-4-50 View Post
Title heading says "2 western" teams.
The title is mistaken. I go by the actual story as written.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 02:17 AM
dmcccdmn

It's pretty obvious the 2 teams are Edmonton and San Jose. One team is trying to get over from the Heatley heart break and the other is trying to lose its virginity this summer.

dmcccdmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 02:44 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcccdmn View Post
It's pretty obvious the 2 teams are Edmonton and San Jose. One team is trying to get over from the Heatley heart break and the other is trying to lose its virginity this summer.
When did Edmonton become a "westcoast team"? That is the rumour being reported.

Old
08-03-2009, 02:48 AM
dmcccdmn

Quote:
When did Edmonton become a "westcoast team"? That is the rumour being reported.
West coast is not literally on the coast but a team in the western conference. People use "West coast" to describe any western team all the time. Only when people trying to pin down which team is in the rumor that they start to over analyze the term.

Old
08-03-2009, 03:00 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
West coast is not literally on the coast but a team in the western conference. People use "West coast" to describe any western team all the time. Only when people trying to pin down which team is in the rumor that they start to over analyze the term.
Not from anyone I have heard who has clue about geography.

If you were in Edmonton or Calgary and referred to them as being on the "west coast" you best book a fast trip out of town.

I do not think even Larry Brooks would make that sort of error.
Quote:
The Bruins, we're told by a well-placed informant, are talking with "two West Coast" clubs about a deal for unsigned Group II winger Phil Kessel. B's are allegedly seeking a young roster player, a prospect and a first-rounder.

Old
08-03-2009, 03:13 AM
dmcccdmn

Quote:
Not from anyone I have heard who has clue about geography.

If you were in Edmonton or Calgary and referred to them as being on the "west coast" you best book a fast trip out of town.

I do not think even Larry Brooks would make that sort of error.
A lot of people in sports do indeed use it to refer to any Western Conference team. Yes, it is wrong to use it that way but if you follow sports for as long as I have, you wouldn't immediately assume everyone cares about geography lessons.

Old
08-03-2009, 03:15 AM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Quote:
lol why?

HankyZetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 05:51 AM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitWhat View Post
Flip is one of my favorite nonBruins in the league. That said, Boston can't take back salary for Kessel. It has to be pretty much prospects, picks and maybe an entry level guy.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 06:07 AM
RealKrug47*

NO! no trading Kessel. i will kick myself in the balls if they do...multiple times. Kessel to the west.Gimme Patrick Kane

only way i like it is a Blackhawks trade for Kane, which they do have a very tight salary, they will either lose Toews Kane or Hossa next summer because of their tight cap. and i'd like the Bruins to get Kane!

RealKrug47* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 06:34 AM
Zim

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruWINS View Post
NO! no trading Kessel. i will kick myself in the balls if they do...multiple times. Kessel to the west.Gimme Patrick Kane

only way i like it is a Blackhawks trade for Kane, which they do have a very tight salary, they will either lose Toews Kane or Hossa next summer because of their tight cap. and i'd like the Bruins to get Kane!
This has been dealt with multiple times already but i'll post it again. Chicago will be very unlikely to lose Kane or Toews next offseason. Salary will need to be cut and 2 of Barker, Vertseeg, Byfuglien and Sharp will be dealt to do that.

Zim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 07:58 AM
solo16

Quote:
Bit much imo. Either drop Nyquist down to a worse prospect or just Filp+1st. Nyquist is a pretty nice mid range prospect I dont think the wings would "throw in".

Filp is better than most talents that would go back to Boston in that hes also young and signed... However Boston doesn't need another Center. So unlikely.

solo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 08:04 AM
Fire Julien

Quote:
If the Bruins trade Kessel they'd ask for someone else than a guy who'd be a 4th line center on the team. Start with Ericsson or a forward who can score goals.

Fire Julien is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 08:41 AM
sirlaxalot

Quote:
canucks are rumoured to be shipping their 1st pick to an east coast team for some defensive help. nashville and dallas come to mind.

sirlaxalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 08:53 AM
solo16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purinton View Post
If the Bruins trade Kessel they'd ask for someone else than a guy who'd be a 4th line center on the team. Start with Ericsson or a forward who can score goals.
We have no one that can score goals ... While Ericsson I suppose might be available it would screw our salary structure up pretty bad.

Axxelson, Mursak or Ryno might interest the B's. If the salary could be worked out we could possibly trade one or two + a pick or something. Some fairly substantial goal scoring wing potential there.

1 of Ericsson, Kindl, *Smith, Kronwall would likely be available also in addition to Lilja, Meech, Lebda. Id say smith is most likely.

Id personally consider a Kronwall for Kessel+3rd deal. Keep the 3 kid defensemen to fill Kronwall and eventually Lidstroms places (both Kindl and Ericsson are looking like top 4 nhlers currently).

solo16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 10:24 AM
RealKrug47*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zim View Post
This has been dealt with multiple times already but i'll post it again. Chicago will be very unlikely to lose Kane or Toews next offseason. Salary will need to be cut and 2 of Barker, Vertseeg, Byfuglien and Sharp will be dealt to do that.
and more. they will need more money to sign them both not just those guys gone.

RealKrug47* is offline   Reply With Quote