HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brandon Dubinsky contract update 9/4 See Post #1071

Closed Thread

Old
08-03-2009, 09:48 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalRanger View Post
Oh my ass
that statement is almost as overused as "go with youth forget the vets"

What makes you think callahan is "maxed out" he's still in his mid 20's he had a GOOD sophmore year(considered anyway) unlike every other rookie we've had the past few years and the guy has not let us down since game 1 in prague...hell since the victoria cup.

Same goes for dubinsky but he hasen't shown improvement since jagr left.
I wouldnt use the words "maxed out" for Callahan, but I do see how people can feel that hes awfully close to his ceiling. What he does, he does well...and Id take a tireless worker that can pop in 20 goals on my team any day.

But when I look at Dubinsky, I just see a couple more tools...specifically vision and puck-handling ability.

Old
08-03-2009, 09:52 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
I wouldnt use the words "maxed out" for Callahan, but I do see how people can feel that hes awfully close to his ceiling. What he does, he does well...and Id take a tireless worker that can pop in 20 goals on my team any day.

But when I look at Dubinsky, I just see a couple more tools...specifically vision and puck-handling ability.
I agree. Dubinsky has the tools to be... so much more than he is. Which is frustrating. He can puckhandle and playmake like Nylander, goes top 10 in the league in hits, and kills penalties. If this guy puts up a 70 point season he will be one of the league's higher-valued commodities.

Old
08-03-2009, 09:59 AM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy View Post
He can puckhandle and playmake like Nylander
No he can't.

Old
08-03-2009, 10:00 AM
goal1228

2 years / 3 million unrealistic

2 years at 1.5 million is unrealistic.. We need to sign Dubinsky... but someone wrote that both sides far off in negotiations. I also heard that rumor again that the Islanders are ready to make an offer sheet to Dubinsky. I dont know how true this is since there seems to be an unwritten rule about not signing other teams players to offer sheets, but i still cant see Dubinskys agent taking less than what callahan recieved. Thoughts?

Old
08-03-2009, 10:04 AM
Section311

Quote:
Originally Posted by goal1228 View Post
2 years at 1.5 million is unrealistic.. We need to sign Dubinsky... but someone wrote that both sides far off in negotiations. I also heard that rumor again that the Islanders are ready to make an offer sheet to Dubinsky. I dont know how true this is since there seems to be an unwritten rule about not signing other teams players to offer sheets, but i still cant see Dubinskys agent taking less than what callahan recieved. Thoughts?
The islanders are not going to give him an offer sheet because they are not going to give up their first round pick next year, which could be another lottery pick. You also have to remember that Cally had abb rights and Dubi doesnt

Old
08-03-2009, 10:06 AM
goal1228

2nd rounder not 1st

its not 1st rounder ... only a 2nd rounder up to 3 mil a year on offer sheet ...still does not solve our problem though, how do we afford to pay him what callahan recieved?

Old
08-03-2009, 10:08 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
No he can't.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qK49l...eature=related

go to :45, but all apply. That patience and smooth deking is Nylander-esque.

Old
08-03-2009, 10:12 AM
FromTheSide

Send a message via AIM to FromTheSide Send a message via MSN to FromTheSide
Quote:

Nobody and i mean nobody is as patient as nylander

Old
08-03-2009, 10:36 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmortalRanger View Post
Nobody and i mean nobody is as patient as nylander
Nylander was patient to a fault, but it worked out with Jagr cause noone wanted to pressure Nyls and give Jagr more space.

If all goes well with a Dubinsky/Gaborik tandem, I think you're going to see a lot of speed to go along with playmaking.

Old
08-03-2009, 10:40 AM
irishlaxburger2

I'm pretty sure it was Torts himself that claimed Dubinsky had all the talent in the world, and he couldn't wait to coach him up ala Lecavalier. No doubt in my mind that we'll resign him soon. The terms are the only thing I'm worried about.

Old
08-03-2009, 10:48 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishlaxburger2 View Post
I'm pretty sure it was Torts himself that claimed Dubinsky had all the talent in the world, and he couldn't wait to coach him up ala Lecavalier. No doubt in my mind that we'll resign him soon. The terms are the only thing I'm worried about.
Yea Torts said something along the lines of Dubinsky being someone that hasnt even begun to recognize his potential. Theres no way hes as talented as LeCavalier, but if Torts can help Dubinsky put it all together (and I think their fiery demeanors will work well together), would a Rod Brind'amour-like career be too much to ask for?

Old
08-03-2009, 10:57 AM
irishlaxburger2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Yea Torts said something along the lines of Dubinsky being someone that hasnt even begun to recognize his potential. Theres no way hes as talented as LeCavalier, but if Torts can help Dubinsky put it all together (and I think their fiery demeanors will work well together), would a Rod Brind'amour-like career be too much to ask for?
Wasn't comparing Dubi to Vinny in terms of ability, but more so in saying that Torts can't wait to mold him into the best player he can be. At least that's what the comment seemed to insinuate when I heard it. Pretty sure they said it during one of the NBC broadcasts from one of our later games this past season. Possibly the playoffs? Who knows...

But yea, I definitely think he has the ability to put up 60-70 points a season while also bringing to the table a bunch of other intangibles. I think he may end up being a different type of player than Brind'amour in terms of style, but he could definitely have the same type of impact on a team (production, leadership, physicality, etc).

Old
08-03-2009, 11:02 AM
Section311

Quote:
Originally Posted by goal1228 View Post
its not 1st rounder ... only a 2nd rounder up to 3 mil a year on offer sheet ...still does not solve our problem though, how do we afford to pay him what callahan recieved?
yea but the only way we dont match is if it is that high, anything lower we would match

Old
08-03-2009, 11:04 AM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:

Dubinsky's terrific and has a lot of potential. But if he had the puck handling and playmaking that came anywhere close to that of Nylander on top of his other assets, he'd be a budding superstar and the current contract talks being discussed about him here would sound completely silly.

At this point, he needs to get back more to the "pest" and "power forward" elements of his game that benefited him the previous season in stretches and in the AHL. And he needs to stop listening to the comments about how talented he is.

Old
08-03-2009, 11:26 AM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
I mean, that's kinda like being the smartest idiot isn't it?
Can't have it both ways.

If golden boy Callahan lead the team with 58 points, people would be (and they already are) hailing him as the second coming.

Zherdev lead the team in points. Say what ever you want to say, he lead an NHL team in points.

He is LIGHT YEARS ahead of Callahan and Dubinsky. I don't give a rats ass how hard they work, they will NEVER be on the level of Zherdev. Zherdev had a "poor year" and still put up nearly 60 points and lead an NHL team in points. Callahan had a GREAT year for him and was NOWHERE NEAR the production level of Zherdev.

I don't care how erratically Callahan runs around like a chicken with his head cut off, falling all over the ice, in effort. He is NOWHERE NEAR as good a player as Zherdev.

Last edited by SupersonicMonkey*: 08-03-2009 at 12:33 PM.
Old
08-03-2009, 11:49 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Zherdev is much more talented than either of the other two players but it takes more than just talent alone. Give me a player with steel in his balls and who will break his back for you. That's Brandon and Callahan.

Old
08-03-2009, 11:52 AM
TheHotRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Zherdev is much more talented than either oh the other two players but it takes more than just talent alone. Give me a player with steel in his balls and who break his back for you. That's Brandon and Callahan.
easy on the scarface quotes.

but yea, i tend to agree. though i'm admittedly a sucker for a dangler with incredible hands. i would love to see zherdev back for another year.

Old
08-03-2009, 11:54 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
Dubinsky's terrific and has a lot of potential. But if he had the puck handling and playmaking that came anywhere close to that of Nylander on top of his other assets, he'd be a budding superstar and the current contract talks being discussed about him here would sound completely silly.

At this point, he needs to get back more to the "pest" and "power forward" elements of his game that benefited him the previous season in stretches and in the AHL. And he needs to stop listening to the comments about how talented he is.
Like the ones from his current head coach?

Old
08-03-2009, 12:01 PM
BlueShirts702

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHotRock View Post
easy on the scarface quotes.

but yea, i tend to agree. though i'm admittedly a sucker for a dangler with incredible hands. i would love to see zherdev back for another year.
The actual quote from Scarface is "All I have is my balls and my word, and I'm not bringing either for anyone." (roughly)

I'm tired of Zherdev's crap, but I don't want him gone for NOTHING. That would be bad asset management and I'm not into that. At the very least, a nice prospect and a pick for Zherdev.

Old
08-03-2009, 12:16 PM
HoosierDaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShirts702 View Post
"...I'm tired of Zherdev's crap..."
I come in peace. Can you please explain what you mean?

Old
08-03-2009, 12:25 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Zherdev is much more talented than either of the other two players but it takes more than just talent alone. Give me a player with steel in his balls and who will break his back for you. That's Brandon and Callahan.
What people fail to understand is that you need both kinds of players.

Old
08-03-2009, 02:09 PM
turcotte8

Brooks saying 2 years between 1.3-1.7 per

http://www.rangerstribune.com/

Old
08-03-2009, 02:10 PM
TheHotRock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueShirts702 View Post
The actual quote from Scarface is "All I have is my balls and my word, and I'm not bringing either for anyone." (roughly)

I'm tired of Zherdev's crap, but I don't want him gone for NOTHING. That would be bad asset management and I'm not into that. At the very least, a nice prospect and a pick for Zherdev.
you're thinking of a different line entirely, i was referring to something frank lopez said when speaking to tony.

but this isn't a scarface thread.

and i agree, we can't afford to lose the guy for nothing and i'm sure we'll get something for him, even if it is just a pick.

Old
08-03-2009, 02:54 PM
94now

Quote:
Only as long as they are cheap. Once they ask for 4 million per, the inner softness will be detected pretty soon by everyone. Dubi could be remembered for being useless half of the season and Cally could never hold on to the puck...

Old
08-03-2009, 09:49 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
Like the ones from his current head coach?
exactly

Closed Thread