HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Zherdev to Toronto

Old
08-03-2009, 10:21 PM
weems

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
So Burke traded Kubina for nothing? Nope. Reports were that Leaf scouts were looking at XLB for a while.
Exelby will still be in the top 6, just not ahead of White on the depth chart. If anything Van Ryn is most likely the player on the outside looking in. Burke also traded Kubina for Exelby because it free'd up alot of cap space.

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 10:21 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeo1 View Post
Yeah. If hes with us when the season starts, I'm sure White will be playing.
Then who's sitting?

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 10:22 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I'm really not overly high on White, so it doesn't matter that much to me. White and a 4th = Exelby and a 2nd + a small prospect, to me.
I agree as long as that + with Exelby was more than the + with White. Like you said, the 4th with White would turn into a 2nd+ with Exelby.

I think both of those players would add something to this team currently. I just feel White would be someone who could possibly be here longer than Exelby.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 10:22 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
Quote:
Then who's sitting?
Toronto will roll 8 d-men

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 10:23 PM
NikolaTesla

Quote:
When did he say this?
taken from rds.ca (TSN quebec french version) :

"Zherdev aurait déclaré à des médias russes qu'il méritait plus d'argent et qu'il ne voyait pas d'objection à jouer ailleurs pendant un an avant de peut-être traverser l'Atlantique et de se joindre à la Ligue continentale russe."

I'll try and translate :
Zherdev told russian medias that he deserved more money and had no problems leaving the rangers and play one more year in the NHL before joining the KHL.

NikolaTesla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bobermay

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
So if you dont mind me asking, who plays for TO's defense?

Kaberle-Komisarek
Beauchemain-?????
????-????
This is a great debate with leaf fans atm.

IMO i'd like to see:

Kaberle-Komisarek
Beauchemin-Schenn
Exelby-White/Van Ryn

Meaning one of White and Van Ryn as well as Finger and Frogren likely won't make the team.

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
weems

Quote:

Kaberle-Komisarek
Beauchemain-?????
????-????
Luke Schenn

weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
I agree as long as that + with Exalby was more than the + with White. Like you said, the 4th with White would turn into a 2nd+ with Exelby.
I agree. White might be better than Exelby, but White just doesn't add that much to our blueline. He would be a bottom pairing d-man on our team.

If we are going to trade for a bottom pairing d-man, I'd rather one who will clear the crease and be a dirty ****er, which is exactly what Exelby is.

Old
08-03-2009, 10:25 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
I agree. White might be better than Exelby, but White just doesn't add that much to our blueline. He would be a bottom pairing d-man on our team.

If we are going to trade for a bottom pairing d-man, I'd rather one who will clear the crease and be a dirty ****er, which is exactly what Exelby is.
My hope would be to move Rozsival if White was brought in to clear more cap space but that is just me. For the 3rd pairing spot Exelby would be the better fit.

Old
08-03-2009, 10:26 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shef View Post
Luke Schenn
I sat there for like a minute trying to remember who I was forgetting. Sorry about that, no idea why I drew a blank on that one. But if Schenn is in and White is in then you have one of Van Ryn or Finger sitting making major money. I dont think that makes much sense.

Old
08-03-2009, 10:26 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
My hope would be to move Rozsival if White was brought in to clear more cap space but that is just me. For the 3rd pairing spot Exelby would be the better fit.
I don't see Rozsival or Redden being moved until next year when Sanguinetti, Del Zotto, etc. are more "ready".

We will be losing a near 25 minute d-man if we move him.

Plus, he looked fantastic after he fully healed from surgery.

Old
08-03-2009, 10:27 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:

Kaberle-Komisarek
Beauchemain-?????
????-????
The only locks I see are Kaberle, Komisarek, Beauchemin, and Schenn. Van Ryn makes 2+ and still serviceable. Exelby was scouted largely by Toronto. Frogren and Finger are a waste of space and will be in the press box wasting what $5 mil in cap space? I doubt MLSE wants to spend close to $5 mil in 2 AHL'ers. Unless White is playing forward I really don't see where he fits on D.

Old
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shef View Post
Exelby will still be in the top 6, just not ahead of White on the depth chart. If anything Van Ryn is most likely the player on the outside looking in. Burke also traded Kubina for Exelby because it free'd up alot of cap space.
I follow the same concept as NYI fan Trottier does. Read this.

Quote:
No and neither would Garth Snow.

What is lost on some NYI fans is that salary did not drive NYI away from Yashin. It was his play. And not simply numbers.

The same things wholly lacking in his game are mirrored in Zherdev's.

Garth Snow does not evaluate players strictly based on "a need for offense." Thankfully.

The paying customers should catch up. Those days are over. Those type players are no longer accepted...at any price.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Torgo

For the right price, White and a 3rd or later or Van Ryn and a similar pick, I would definately like him on the team.

Just because he's Russian and skilled doesn't mean Burke will avoid him like the plague, he's got to have some skill and for the right deal, ie. moving a Dman we don't need and an expendable pick, it may be possible. Sather would probably have to bring a proposal to Burke though, but if they got talking, it's not impossible.

Since Burke helped build Anaheim and talks about the teams he likes, everyone assumes they know Burke enough to know he would never accept a one-dimensional offensively talented Euro player. A lot of what Burke says publicly is a front and an image he is trying to hold, just because you see what he's like on TV doesn't mean you know him well enough to know that he would never get a guy like that on his team.

Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 10:28 PM
ugotmybeef*

Quote:
The only locks I see are Kaberle, Komisarek, Beauchemin, and Schenn. Van Ryn makes 2+ and still serviceable. Exelby was scouted largely by Toronto. Frogren and Finger are a waste of space and will be in the press box wasting what $5 mil in cap space? I doubt MLSE wants to spend close to $5 mil in 2 AHL'ers. Unless White is playing forward I really don't see where he fits on D.
you had Burke willing to send Schneider last year to clear 5.75 if he had no choice. He's not playing the bluff game.

ugotmybeef* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 10:28 PM
bobermay

Quote:
I sat there for like a minute trying to remember who I was forgetting. Sorry about that, no idea why I drew a blank on that one. But if Schenn is in and White is in then you have one of Van Ryn or Finger sitting making major money. I dont think that makes much sense.
Burke has said he has no problem leaving salary on the Marlies.

That said, I'm pretty confident that we'll trade one more defender before the season or shortly into the season.

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 10:29 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolaTesla View Post
taken from rds.ca (TSN quebec french version) :

"Zherdev aurait déclaré à des médias russes qu'il méritait plus d'argent et qu'il ne voyait pas d'objection à jouer ailleurs pendant un an avant de peut-être traverser l'Atlantique et de se joindre à la Ligue continentale russe."

I'll try and translate :
Zherdev told russian medias that he deserved more money and had no problems leaving the rangers and play one more year in the NHL before joining the KHL.
Complete BS. He told a Russian source he wants to play in the NHL. He said if things don't work out he'll play 2009-10 in Russia which he cannot now.

Old
08-03-2009, 10:30 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoThreat View Post
For the right price, White and a 3rd or later or Van Ryn and a similar pick, I would definately like him on the team.
I don't see Rangers taking Van Ryn. We only save 1M.

And he'd be a bottom pairing d-man on our team.

Why would we want him? Why would we have ANY interest in him?

Not trying to be a jerk (for once), but there is just no logic in the Rangers wanting or accepting Van Ryn.

Who knows, maybe I'm completely wrong and will be eating crow, but I just don't see why we'd want a 3M #5 d-man.

Old
08-03-2009, 10:30 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post
Any way we can make a trade without giving up any picks?

White and (Insert Prospect or Player here) for Zheredev
White is a run of the mill third liner. Why would the Rangers trade a first liner for a third liner?! Throw in a prospect worth a top-15 pick and we'll talk.

It's not as if Sather gets ripped off in trades...

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 10:31 PM
Ryan52

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Cage View Post
Yes, Z has tons of POTENTIAL, but until he starts putting 100% into games, he's a gamble b/c you dont know if he'll show up to play or not. Or weither he'll be around after this season or off to the KHL.

White on the other hand, is a 25yr old #4D (that can also play decent Forward i might add) that makes 850k...and more importantly works his butt off every shift. that type of play lifts a loocker room, whereas Z's loafing might have the opposite effect.

I get your high on Z, I can understand why you'd prefer him over White, definately he is more talented...but it's hardly laughable that a coach might rather keep White than take a flyer on Zherdev.
1. z has potential and skill, and has shown his skill with those season after the lockout (aside from 06-07)
2. i doubt white will be a #4 next year
3. im not even high on zherdev, and dont even like him that much. but if white for zherdev came up? i wouldnt even have to think twice about it
4. its not even taking a flyer on zherdev. hes had some alright seasons

Ryan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 10:32 PM
mikeo1

Quote:
Then who's sitting?
From Exelby, Finger, Frogren, MVR and White, White and MVR are the two best d-men. White had a good season last year where he established himself as a regular. This is just my opinion though, Burke and Wilson might want a bottom pairing with more nastiness. But the way I see it, we have plenty of that in our top-4 already.

mikeo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 10:32 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:

Not trying to be a jerk (for once), but there is just no logic in the Rangers wanting or accepting Van Ryn.

Who knows, maybe I'm completely wrong and will be eating crow, but I just don't see why we'd want a 3M #5 d-man.
Agreed, he and Stempniak make no sense.

Old
08-03-2009, 10:33 PM
T_Cage
VP of Awesome

Quote:
There we go.

Let's not forget there's also this little thing called a Salary Cap some of you may have heard of? White for Z puts the Leafs over the cap (and that's INCLUDING the 7.5% bonus cushion).

T_Cage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotmybeef View Post
you had Burke willing to send Schneider last year to clear 5.75 if he had no choice. He's not playing the bluff game.
That's nice and all but Burke doesn't own the Leafs, and Frogren, Finger are crap and have 0 interest around the league. Teams did have interest in Schneider.

Old
08-03-2009, 10:34 PM
Torgo

Quote:

Just examples of D we don't really need and would move, Zherdev makes more 3.9 doesn't he? So you'd still save 1mil if you took MVR. White saves a good amount of cap, Exelby is another option. I wasn't looking at it from NYR perspective, those two just came to mind as expendable players. I'd offer you Finger, but no one wants him at that price.

At least when he hits someone we can say "that guy just got fingered", but other than that, he's next to useless at the price.

Torgo is offline   Reply With Quote