HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Zimmerman resigns. Mike Gillis and Victor de Bonis take over.

Old
08-03-2009, 10:56 PM
hlrsr

vCash: 500
The tribute ceremonies (Bourdon, Linden) were very well done, but the marketing initiatives (which may have been more his doing) like the 7, 'Forever Faithful', etc. have been quite poor.

It wasn't even that the 7 thing was inherently a dumb idea, the whole ceremony was just absolutely embarrassing. Total bush league.

hlrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 11:06 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlrsr View Post
The tribute ceremonies (Bourdon, Linden) were very well done, but the marketing initiatives (which may have been more his doing) like the 7, 'Forever Faithful', etc. have been quite poor.
I forgot about Forever Faithful. That was worse than the 7th man

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 11:15 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrishriekandgo View Post
As long as I get a royalty!
heh.

Do you pay a royalty for the images you photoshop into your cartoons?

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 11:17 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
Meh, I might get roasted for this, but within the context of an NHL club, president and CEO can be pretty much ceremonial. They fly under the radar and having nothing to do with the day to day player movement. Their decisions rarely receive the same attention as the smallest wire waiver acquisition. Plus, with this owner, I imagine there is a lot of string pulling.
The CEO and President of a hockey club is definitely not a ceremonial position. They control all of the business aspects of the club. While that doesn't get the fan or media attention it is an extremely important position. Look what McDonough has done with Chicago for instance.

Old
08-03-2009, 11:56 PM
timorousme
luongod

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
I thought I was the only one who loved the vintage Islanders and Sabres looks.
easily two of the best jerseys

i love the blue and green but the orca logo needs to go

they should designed a new logo around johnny canuck

timorousme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:42 AM
ping

Quote:
Meh, I might get roasted for this, but within the context of an NHL club, president and CEO can be pretty much ceremonial. They fly under the radar and having nothing to do with the day to day player movement. Their decisions rarely receive the same attention as the smallest wire waiver acquisition. Plus, with this owner, I imagine there is a lot of string pulling.

I could see them give one of the positions to Linden and another to someone with a marketing background to shelter him. Linden does have some very relative, although limited, business experience and he's very media savvy. He would bring more passion than many other 'more qualified' people and he should be the face of this franchise.

In before Wetcoaster trash job.
Just because their decisions don't affect the on-ice product or get noticed by the average fan; does no mean that they hold a ceremonial position. There's a whole other side to the business of hockey...namely the business side.

ping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:11 AM
hackey
Oh Did I Offend You

The Canucks under Zimmerman as President CEO has made Aqualini a bucket load of money... more direct profit than
any previous years when owned by McCaw. This is due to focused marketing, better creative ticket distribution,
(such as charging those wanting to be on the season ticket holder a deposit.) But the biggest reason is a cap
on salary and the US/CAD currencies being on par in 2008, where the Canucks were able to hedge millions of dollars.

Whether Zimmerman receives or deserves all the credit for the increase in revenue is questionable, but he was
sitting in the chair.

Promotional and Public Relation issues such as the: Linden Retirement, Boudon Sendoff, Forever Faithful
and the "7"th Man were all creations of the Nucks marketing department, and not likely created by Zimmerman
himself.

hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:24 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post
Perhaps, then, it would be best to hire Linden as VP of Marketing/Public Relations (or something to that effect).

I don't see him as President and CEO just yet.
Or ever as long as Gillis is around.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:26 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
I don't see why Linden would get this job. A president and CEO is responsible for the business side of running a hockey team. Trevor Linden does not have a business background so it would make little sense to hire him for that role.

A more likely candidate might be Bob Nicholson.
Actually I could see it being left unfilled until after the Olympics are over and then bring Dave Cobb back.

IIRC Aquilini acted as President for a period of time after Cobb left and before Zimmerman was brought in.

Old
08-04-2009, 01:29 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:

I could see them give one of the positions to Linden and another to someone with a marketing background to shelter him. Linden does have some very relative, although limited, business experience and he's very media savvy. He would bring more passion than many other 'more qualified' people and he should be the face of this franchise.

In before Wetcoaster trash job.
You think Gillis would be in favour of this seeing as how he and Goodenow were quite tight and he was anti-Saskin?

Old
08-04-2009, 01:38 AM
Free Torts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
You think Gillis would be in favour of this seeing as how he and Goodenow were quite tight and he was anti-Saskin?
Bingo. As much as the fans in this city would like Linden to be a part of the organization, Gillis' petty disagreements from five years ago will likely win out, unless he's hired directly by Aquilini.

Free Torts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:09 AM
BedBeats

I do not think anyone would ever be happy with whatever PR campaign the Canucks persue.

Linden as CEO/President?

Holy crapballs.

Come on now.

BedBeats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:13 AM
timorousme
luongod

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey View Post
The Canucks under Zimmerman as President CEO has made Aqualini a bucket load of money... more direct profit than
any previous years when owned by McCaw. This is due to focused marketing, better creative ticket distribution,
(such as charging those wanting to be on the season ticket holder a deposit.) But the biggest reason is a cap
on salary and the US/CAD currencies being on par in 2008, where the Canucks were able to hedge millions of dollars.

Whether Zimmerman receives or deserves all the credit for the increase in revenue is questionable, but he was
sitting in the chair.

Promotional and Public Relation issues such as the: Linden Retirement, Boudon Sendoff, Forever Faithful
and the "7"th Man were all creations of the Nucks marketing department, and not likely created by Zimmerman
himself.
he still would have overseen marketing and gave approval

Old
08-04-2009, 02:13 AM
timorousme
luongod

08-09 would have made a much better doc

Old
08-04-2009, 02:46 AM
Meganuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey View Post

himself.
T.C. Carling is responsible for most of that I believe.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:52 AM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
I was at the first "7th man" game. The crowd reaction was hilarious. I'm sure whoever thought it up thought they'd unveil this banner and the crowd would go nuts and it was the most awkward silence ever. 18,000 and you could basically hear a pin drop. A bit of sarcastic applause. I burst out laughing.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 04:13 AM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
T.C. Carling is responsible for most of that I believe.
No, Carling is in charge of Media Relations- handing interviews, press conferences etc.

Old
08-04-2009, 05:05 AM
hlrsr

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCF23 View Post
I was at the first "7th man" game. The crowd reaction was hilarious. I'm sure whoever thought it up thought they'd unveil this banner and the crowd would go nuts and it was the most awkward silence ever. 18,000 and you could basically hear a pin drop. A bit of sarcastic applause. I burst out laughing.
I went to the 2nd or 3rd game after they 'unveiled' it, hoping to see the ceremony for myself. They didn't do it. I was really disappointed.

hlrsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 05:13 AM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlrsr View Post
I went to the 2nd or 3rd game after they 'unveiled' it, hoping to see the ceremony for myself. They didn't do it. I was really disappointed.
They obviously noticed the reaction at the first one.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:06 AM
Ernie

Quote:
Not everyone holds grudges for eternity. If Gillis is flexible enough to flip into a GM chair, he's probably also flexible enough to let bygones be bygones if there were any hard feelings.

I'm sure he'll try to hire the best man or woman for the job. If Linden is that person (and wants the job), then I'm sure he'll go with that.

Old
08-04-2009, 11:55 AM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
The CEO and President of a hockey club is definitely not a ceremonial position. They control all of the business aspects of the club. While that doesn't get the fan or media attention it is an extremely important position. Look what McDonough has done with Chicago for instance.
Meh, I'd say president pretty much is. It's traditionally tacked on within the context of "president and general manager" with a few added duties, but not necessarily the most qualified person, usually just the general manager. I meant they are more ceremonial in this industry than most others. Although, in most industries the CEO isn't the 'marketing' guy, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ping View Post
Just because their decisions don't affect the on-ice product or get noticed by the average fan; does no mean that they hold a ceremonial position. There's a whole other side to the business of hockey...namely the business side.
How many teams have CEOs right now? I'm asking because I don't know.

Quote:
No, I don't think it would happen. Just playing along. Although if Gillis is a a professional businessman, he wouldn't let this prevent Linden being in the organization. It's not kindergarten.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:02 PM
NCPokey

Selling hockey to Vancouver fans is like being a drug dealer, how much work does it really take as long as the team is somewhat competitive? The tickets and merchandise pretty much sell themselves. Look how many people buy the pay per view games even though the production values rival those of a public access channel...

NCPokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:35 PM
SedinFan*

Send a message via MSN to SedinFan*
It's stupid to try and market to the Vancouver market. Why?

1) There is no competition
2) We bleed hockey

It's a waste of money if you ask me.

SedinFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:44 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Meh, I'd say president pretty much is. It's traditionally tacked on within the context of "president and general manager" with a few added duties, but not necessarily the most qualified person, usually just the general manager. I meant they are more ceremonial in this industry than most others. Although, in most industries the CEO isn't the 'marketing' guy, too.
Clearly the Aquilinis weren't going for a ceremonial president when they hired Zimmerman, so I doubt their next hire is either.

Old
08-04-2009, 01:11 PM
Libor Polasek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
I always sorta liked the Zimmerman hiring, but looking back on some of his recent initiatives I guess it isn't all that surprising; most of them have been pretty bad. Though I liked the Linden ceremony.
Awesome avatar. Saw the RAA at Hillside Festival two weeks ago. Compelling performance.

Libor Polasek is offline   Reply With Quote