HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

"No breaks in the union"

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2004, 05:58 PM
hockey_nut

vCash: 500
"No breaks in the union"

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/dal65.html

October 31, 2004
"No breaks in the union"
TheFourthPeriod.com

Montreal forward Pierre Dagenais, Calgary defenseman Mike Commodore and Ottawa blueliner Brian Pothier have recently discussed their discontent with the lack of negotiations between the Players' Association and the league.
With a handful of NHL players frustrated by that lack of negotiations, Stars' forward Bill Guerin doesn't blame them for venting but suggests they remain cool.

Some players have been critical of the top tier of union leadership, which includes the Guerin, Vancouver's Trevor Linden and Ottawa's Daniel Alfredsson.

"I know guys can get frustrated, and sometimes they let their frustrations speak for them," Guerin told the Fort-Worth Star-Telegram.

"A lot of times, they do look back on it and try to take it back.

There are no breaks in the union, and everybody that has a comment that comes out negative is smoking weed. People have to remember: This is early yet. We haven't missed a month yet."

Guerin said he "can't see us not playing this year," but added that he wouldn't be surprised if some owners want to "sit the season out. ... If you cave now and accept a salary cap ... man, the guys two years in the league who will play for another 10 or 15 years will be sorry."

--------

i guess guerin hasn't spoken to rob ray yet.. hehehe

Old
10-31-2004, 06:02 PM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey_nut
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/dal65.html

October 31, 2004
"No breaks in the union"
TheFourthPeriod.com

Montreal forward Pierre Dagenais, Calgary defenseman Mike Commodore and Ottawa blueliner Brian Pothier have recently discussed their discontent with the lack of negotiations between the Players' Association and the league.
With a handful of NHL players frustrated by that lack of negotiations, Stars' forward Bill Guerin doesn't blame them for venting but suggests they remain cool.

Some players have been critical of the top tier of union leadership, which includes the Guerin, Vancouver's Trevor Linden and Ottawa's Daniel Alfredsson.

"I know guys can get frustrated, and sometimes they let their frustrations speak for them," Guerin told the Fort-Worth Star-Telegram.

"A lot of times, they do look back on it and try to take it back.

There are no breaks in the union, and everybody that has a comment that comes out negative is smoking weed. People have to remember: This is early yet. We haven't missed a month yet."

Guerin said he "can't see us not playing this year," but added that he wouldn't be surprised if some owners want to "sit the season out. ... If you cave now and accept a salary cap ... man, the guys two years in the league who will play for another 10 or 15 years will be sorry."

--------

i guess guerin hasn't spoken to rob ray yet.. hehehe
Bill Guerin is living off past glory and a hefty contract.

Its NO coincidence that the people who say "The Union is Sound, and we are all together" are those who can, right now, quick playing hockey and retire happily.

Old
10-31-2004, 06:18 PM
txomisc

did i read that right? guerin basically said any players who dont agree with him are smoking weed?

Old
10-31-2004, 06:31 PM
hockey_nut

yup, hehe... they're all crazy.. messed up!

Old
10-31-2004, 06:43 PM
SuperUnknown

Quote:
It's funny but it's mostly those players that will be there another 10-15 years that seem to be accepting a "cap".

Old
10-31-2004, 06:44 PM
Masao

The players with the biggest contracts = against a salary cap
The lower salaried players, third liners, etc = for a salary cap

I wonder why?

Old
10-31-2004, 07:15 PM
two out of three*

Send a message via ICQ to two out of three* Send a message via AIM to two out of three*
Quote:
There are no breaks in the union, and everybody that has a comment that comes out negative is smoking weed.
Mature Guerin.. Mature.

Yeah, they are smoking weed, because they want to play hockey. What kind of freaks want to get paid to play hockey?

Old
10-31-2004, 08:08 PM
Bruwinz37

Glad to see that Guerin is still a blowhard egomaniac.

If there was ever a poster boy for what is wrong with today's NHL it is this useless, one dimensional overrated POS.

Old
10-31-2004, 08:47 PM
handtrick

With leadership like that, it's no wonder so many feel nonrepresented and kept out of the loop.

I would give my left nut to be a fly on the wall at that meeting Tuesday. :beatup:

Old
10-31-2004, 08:54 PM
X8oD

Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc
did i read that right? guerin basically said any players who dont agree with him are smoking weed?
Duh

I mean, You have to be high to agree to sit out so the rich can get richer in the first place.

Guerin is just pissed they hit up his stash.

Old
10-31-2004, 08:59 PM
thinkwild
Veni Vidi Toga

Guerins made his money, got his big contracts, he's set for life. Its not him that benefits from this. He is making the sacrifice to stand up to management for what is right, for the players coming up behind him.

Fans take the principle of negotiating your value lightly especially when they see it as so much, but fair is fair, this is business and that is a fundamental right. If you dont stand up for your rights, you lose them.

He did say its early yet and he cant see them missing the season. A lot of players have expresed this thought. Bettman is telling them they are miscalculating. Like James Baker talking to Iraq. We'll see.

Old
11-01-2004, 12:47 PM
chara

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkwild
Guerins made his money, got his big contracts, he's set for life. Its not him that benefits from this. He is making the sacrifice to stand up to management for what is right, for the players coming up behind him.

Fans take the principle of negotiating your value lightly especially when they see it as so much, but fair is fair, this is business and that is a fundamental right. If you dont stand up for your rights, you lose them.

He did say its early yet and he cant see them missing the season. A lot of players have expresed this thought. Bettman is telling them they are miscalculating. Like James Baker talking to Iraq. We'll see.

Guerin and other hard core union lackeys should choose their words wisely or better yet keep their mouths shut all together.

Fans are behind guys like Commodore. In fact, Ron Maclean had a terrific profile of Commodore during commercial breaks on 'Movie Night in Canada''....I wonder if they're planning a similar profile of Guerin in the weeks ahead....I don't think so...

Fan support is firmly behind the dissenters...Keep talking....if Goodenow won't listen, he will have to go...

Closed Thread