HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Mike Grier to Habs?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-04-2009, 10:27 AM
  #26
NHLcrazy
Registered User
 
NHLcrazy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,857
vCash: 500
This guy is still in the NHL?

NHLcrazy is offline  
Old
08-04-2009, 10:27 AM
  #27
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses
 
Habs 4 Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Montreal
Country: Italy
Posts: 32,347
vCash: 500
Couple of years ago I would have loved to see Grier in a Habs uniform,now not so much,would rather have Stewart in the lineup,younger and would be a cheaper option

Habs 4 Life is offline  
Old
08-04-2009, 10:28 AM
  #28
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,053
vCash: 500
Please god no, we are overstacked at forward as it is. Screw the haters, Laraque has to be in the line-up, we need that protection, we are a small fragile group that needs that little extra confidence that Laraque brings. If Grier signs then out goes Sergei, it would be very idiotic to throw away potential for a 34 year old grinder. We just signed great depth with Moen, enough's enough...


Last edited by Maxpac: 08-04-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Maxpac is offline  
Old
08-04-2009, 10:34 AM
  #29
Ross MacLochness
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Toronto
Posts: 6,774
vCash: 500
I thought that's what Moen was for?

Ross MacLochness is offline  
Old
08-04-2009, 10:37 AM
  #30
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Snippin' Yank
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,250
vCash: 597
That NHLsources twitter had Bertuzzi going to Toronto and Tanguay going to Phoenix as near certainties IIRC. I wouldn't put much stock into what the say.

Tanguay to Coyotes, Done Deal, announcment tomorrow, figures to come, (Rumored figures 2-3 years at $4-5.5 million per)
8:50 PM Jul 27th from web

LOL

Marc the Habs Fan is offline  
Old
08-04-2009, 10:39 AM
  #31
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,053
vCash: 500
Who is that NHLsourcesay guy? is he someone form HF? Eklund?

Maxpac is offline  
Old
08-04-2009, 10:41 AM
  #32
Mustafa*
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 3,407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
That NHLsources twitter had Bertuzzi going to Toronto and Tanguay going to Phoenix as near certainties IIRC. I wouldn't put much stock into what the say.
Sorry but Montreal is a Global moderator and he says NHLsourcesay broke some deal on july first.

Mustafa* is offline  
Old
08-04-2009, 10:43 AM
  #33
Kafka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Who is that NHLsourcesay guy? is he someone form HF? Eklund?
As he underlines on twitters, he has entries at the NHL offices.

As for that rumor, I said previously that S.K or D'agostini would be on their way out if that was true. I would like to add that I which we could keep both for at least this year and give them a chance to rebound from their its crappy 2nd season for the first one, and for his poor performance during the playoffs for the second one.

Kafka is offline  
Old
08-04-2009, 10:43 AM
  #34
HabsGuy19
Registered User
 
HabsGuy19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: PEI, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 373
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HabsGuy19 Send a message via Skype™ to HabsGuy19
Absolutely not going to happen, it just doesn't make any sense. And BTW, that @NHLSources person is spews out more innaccurate rumors then Eklund.

HabsGuy19 is offline  
Old
08-04-2009, 10:48 AM
  #35
beowulf
Poster of the Year!
 
beowulf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 33,643
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I just cannot wait for the season to start so all this crap can slow down for a while....a guy can dream right?

Anyways while Grier is an interesting player I have to echo the sentiment that there is no real room for him on this team.

beowulf is online now  
Old
08-04-2009, 11:02 AM
  #36
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future
 
Habsfan18's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,738
vCash: 500
I started a thread about Grier a few days ago and basically everyone called me crazy

I'd still like him on a 1 or 2 year deal.

But I understand those that say there's not much room for him.

Habsfan18 is offline  
Old
08-04-2009, 11:03 AM
  #37
LouisJCloutier
Registered User
 
LouisJCloutier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Gaspésie
Country: Canada
Posts: 709
vCash: 500
Ummm, yeah....I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you



Grier would be a nice addition, depending on the price. I don't want more then a two years contrat. I would love to have more grit on our bottom six. Maybe d'Agostini is gonna get traded, who knows ? And with Laraque doubtful to start the season...

Moen - Lapierre - Grier
Stewart - Metropolit/Chipchura - Laraque




That would be nice wouldn't it ?

LouisJCloutier is offline  
Old
08-04-2009, 11:28 AM
  #38
saskhab
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Saskatoon
Posts: 994
vCash: 500
Grier seems unnecessary unless further changes are coming. If the Habs want to get more top heavy (add another higher end forward like the Marleau/Frolov rumours, move out the Plekanec-Kosty combo), than I can see the move as part of that picture.

Guys like Latendresse and D'Agostini could definitely fit into the top 6 picture. And don't forget people, Laraque was behind on his rehab and likely won't be ready for the start of the season. He's by no means a guarantee to be in the lineup.

Grier would have to be a one year contract, though. I don't understand why we'd want him so badly.

saskhab is offline  
Old
08-04-2009, 11:32 AM
  #39
Bill McNeal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,158
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I just cannot wait for the season to start so all this crap can slow down for a while....a guy can dream right?

Anyways while Grier is an interesting player I have to echo the sentiment that there is no real room for him on this team.
I dunno man, all this trade talk plus the team face-lift has made this off-season much more bearable.

I can't believe it's already August...

Bill McNeal is offline  
Old
08-04-2009, 11:39 AM
  #40
Coach Brisebois*
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
One thing I will say, if we don't sign Stewart he'll definitely be a fit. I wouldn't complain having Grier on our team, I like Stewart too though. Then again, isn't Grier RW and Stewart LW?
Grier plays RW, Moen plays LW, and Stewart played LW last year with us but was drafted as a RW.

Coach Brisebois* is offline  
Old
08-04-2009, 11:39 AM
  #41
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,053
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisJCloutier View Post
Ummm, yeah....I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you



Grier would be a nice addition, depending on the price. I don't want more then a two years contrat. I would love to have more grit on our bottom six. Maybe d'Agostini is gonna get traded, who knows ? And with Laraque doubtful to start the season...

Moen - Lapierre - Grier
Stewart - Metropolit/Chipchura - Laraque



That would be nice wouldn't it ?
And what would the rest of your line-up look like? Don't forget you're still missing Gomez, Gionta, Latendresse, Pacioretty, Cammalleri, A.Kost, S.Kost, D'Agostini and Plekanec.

Maxpac is offline  
Old
08-04-2009, 11:53 AM
  #42
LouisJCloutier
Registered User
 
LouisJCloutier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Gaspésie
Country: Canada
Posts: 709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
And what would the rest of your line-up look like? Don't forget you're still missing Gomez, Gionta, Latendresse, Pacioretty, Cammalleri, A.Kost, S.Kost, D'Agostini and Plekanec.
Well as I said, Laraque could be out at the start of the season, and one of Chipchura or Metropolit will sit. Maybe D'Agostini is traded ?

Anyway, I don't want to see him or Serge Constantin on the bottom 6. They are pretty useless over there IMO. So the lineup could be:

André - Gomez - Gionta
Latendresse - Plekanec - Cammalleri
Moen - Lapierre - Pacioretty
Stewart - Chipchura - Grier

LouisJCloutier is offline  
Old
08-04-2009, 11:55 AM
  #43
prairie hab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 790
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
He would fit only if a winger gets traded. And by winger, I mean either S.Kostitsyn or D'Agostini. I see a few putting Latendresse on a third line. I don't expect him to play with Lapierre the whole season. He will see top two lines minutes this year. At this point of his development, it is time to give him more offensive responsabilities, and considering the players we have on the top two lines, he could be helpfull there... specially if he improved again his skating this summer.


Why are we still believing that Lats is going to magically turn into the second coming of John Leclair?

I'm sick of the bias he benefits from on these boards:
"He's young", "He was coming off injury", "He hits".

Well, lets call a spade a spade. Lats is injured often (lack of conditioning?). His skating is below average, his defensive play is less than mediocre, and he does not bury enough chances to warrant these supposed top line minutes everyone feels he deserves. He does not play PK, PP, and is not regarded as a "Checker".

This clearly makes Lats EXPENDABLE.

I guarantee you that both D'agostini and Pacioretty will end up playing top two line minutes far more than Lats in the near future..............

prairie hab is offline  
Old
08-04-2009, 11:57 AM
  #44
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Midgetland
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,679
vCash: 500
Makes no sense whatsoever.

vokiel is offline  
Old
08-04-2009, 12:06 PM
  #45
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Analyzer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 39,159
vCash: 500
Not a credible source.

Analyzer is offline  
Old
08-04-2009, 12:12 PM
  #46
LouisJCloutier
Registered User
 
LouisJCloutier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Gaspésie
Country: Canada
Posts: 709
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Not a credible source.
That is true.

But you know, it's summer. I like very excuse to talk about hockey

LouisJCloutier is offline  
Old
08-04-2009, 12:22 PM
  #47
LouisJCloutier
Registered User
 
LouisJCloutier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Gaspésie
Country: Canada
Posts: 709
vCash: 500
Now would be a good time to make-up a rumour, getting everyone here talking about it, sending link to some random forums and see how much time it take to CKAC to pick-it up

LouisJCloutier is offline  
Old
08-04-2009, 12:42 PM
  #48
Kafka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Montreal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 5,031
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post
[/B]

Why are we still believing that Lats is going to magically turn into the second coming of John Leclair?

I'm sick of the bias he benefits from on these boards:
"He's young", "He was coming off injury", "He hits".

Well, lets call a spade a spade. Lats is injured often (lack of conditioning?). His skating is below average, his defensive play is less than mediocre, and he does not bury enough chances to warrant these supposed top line minutes everyone feels he deserves. He does not play PK, PP, and is not regarded as a "Checker".

This clearly makes Lats EXPENDABLE.

I guarantee you that both D'agostini and Pacioretty will end up playing top two line minutes far more than Lats in the near future..............
You'll see. I am pretty confident about this call

Pacioretty, A.Kostitsyn and Latendresse are all top two lines material, and Latendresse as its name on that list because not because he is a fan favorite, but because he is right on the pace to become that player.

Latendresse is 230lbs. Not 200 lbs like most players. Bertuzzi became a 25-25-50 guy at 24 years old. Then a 80pts man at 26. Latendresse is 22. Oh, and by the way, people where also saying when Bertuzzi was 22 that he was getting injuried too frequently. Hate him if you want, but don't let that blind your opinion.

Kafka is offline  
Old
08-04-2009, 12:49 PM
  #49
Markowicz
Simple Jacques
 
Markowicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 2,889
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post
[/B]

Why are we still believing that Lats is going to magically turn into the second coming of John Leclair?

I'm sick of the bias he benefits from on these boards:
"He's young", "He was coming off injury", "He hits".

Well, lets call a spade a spade. Lats is injured often (lack of conditioning?). His skating is below average, his defensive play is less than mediocre, and he does not bury enough chances to warrant these supposed top line minutes everyone feels he deserves. He does not play PK, PP, and is not regarded as a "Checker".

This clearly makes Lats EXPENDABLE.

I guarantee you that both D'agostini and Pacioretty will end up playing top two line minutes far more than Lats in the near future..............
I see where you're coming from, but don't fully agree he is expendable... yet. You should this

article:http://www.lionsinwinter.ca/2009/07/...some-tips.html

Kind of puts into perspective what Lats has to do to remain on the Habs.

Markowicz is offline  
Old
08-04-2009, 01:22 PM
  #50
Coach Brisebois*
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 1,146
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
I see where you're coming from, but don't fully agree he is expendable... yet. You should this

article:http://www.lionsinwinter.ca/2009/07/...some-tips.html

Kind of puts into perspective what Lats has to do to remain on the Habs.
If you can avoid reading this link, do so. The writer does not take into account what style of play was asked of Latendresse or how his linemates affect his play. Tom Kostopoulos can make anyone look bad by outhustling everyone on the rink while failing miserably to provide any offensive threat. Latendresse's job last year was pretty much to stay high in the zone and keep the puck down low by throwing it into the corner for one of his linemates. With Kostopoulos providing so many turnovers (from chasing bad opportunities) and Lapierre having more speed (as well as having the center's role), Lats was required to play the game he did.

from the link:
"Guillaume is big, but playing on a line with Lapierre and Kostopoulos he was also the one player who should have been in front of the net"

If he played in front of the net we would have been victimized by odd-man rushes all the time. There is no way that Kostopoulos could have gotten the puck to Latendresse's stick, he was that bad a passer (how many of his passes were straight to a defenseman last year???).

Coach Brisebois* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:15 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.