HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Mike Grier to Habs?

Closed Thread

Old
08-04-2009, 10:27 AM
NHLcrazy

vCash: 500
This guy is still in the NHL?

Old
08-04-2009, 10:27 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Couple of years ago I would have loved to see Grier in a Habs uniform,now not so much,would rather have Stewart in the lineup,younger and would be a cheaper option

Old
08-04-2009, 10:28 AM
Maxpac

Please god no, we are overstacked at forward as it is. Screw the haters, Laraque has to be in the line-up, we need that protection, we are a small fragile group that needs that little extra confidence that Laraque brings. If Grier signs then out goes Sergei, it would be very idiotic to throw away potential for a 34 year old grinder. We just signed great depth with Moen, enough's enough...

Last edited by Maxpac: 08-04-2009 at 10:36 AM.
Old
08-04-2009, 10:34 AM
Ross MacLochness

I thought that's what Moen was for?

Old
08-04-2009, 10:37 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Snippin' Yank

vCash: 597
That NHLsources twitter had Bertuzzi going to Toronto and Tanguay going to Phoenix as near certainties IIRC. I wouldn't put much stock into what the say.

Tanguay to Coyotes, Done Deal, announcment tomorrow, figures to come, (Rumored figures 2-3 years at $4-5.5 million per)
8:50 PM Jul 27th from web

LOL

Old
08-04-2009, 10:39 AM
Maxpac

Who is that NHLsourcesay guy? is he someone form HF? Eklund?

Old
08-04-2009, 10:41 AM
Mustafa*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
That NHLsources twitter had Bertuzzi going to Toronto and Tanguay going to Phoenix as near certainties IIRC. I wouldn't put much stock into what the say.
Sorry but Montreal is a Global moderator and he says NHLsourcesay broke some deal on july first.

Old
08-04-2009, 10:43 AM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
Who is that NHLsourcesay guy? is he someone form HF? Eklund?
As he underlines on twitters, he has entries at the NHL offices.

As for that rumor, I said previously that S.K or D'agostini would be on their way out if that was true. I would like to add that I which we could keep both for at least this year and give them a chance to rebound from their its crappy 2nd season for the first one, and for his poor performance during the playoffs for the second one.

Old
08-04-2009, 10:43 AM
HabsGuy19

Send a message via MSN to HabsGuy19 Send a message via Skype™ to HabsGuy19
Absolutely not going to happen, it just doesn't make any sense. And BTW, that @NHLSources person is spews out more innaccurate rumors then Eklund.

Old
08-04-2009, 10:48 AM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
I just cannot wait for the season to start so all this crap can slow down for a while....a guy can dream right?

Anyways while Grier is an interesting player I have to echo the sentiment that there is no real room for him on this team.

Old
08-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Habsfan18
Global Moderator
The Future

I started a thread about Grier a few days ago and basically everyone called me crazy

I'd still like him on a 1 or 2 year deal.

But I understand those that say there's not much room for him.

Old
08-04-2009, 11:03 AM
LouisJCloutier

Ummm, yeah....I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you

Grier would be a nice addition, depending on the price. I don't want more then a two years contrat. I would love to have more grit on our bottom six. Maybe d'Agostini is gonna get traded, who knows ? And with Laraque doubtful to start the season...

Moen - Lapierre - Grier
Stewart - Metropolit/Chipchura - Laraque

That would be nice wouldn't it ?

Old
08-04-2009, 11:28 AM
saskhab

Grier seems unnecessary unless further changes are coming. If the Habs want to get more top heavy (add another higher end forward like the Marleau/Frolov rumours, move out the Plekanec-Kosty combo), than I can see the move as part of that picture.

Guys like Latendresse and D'Agostini could definitely fit into the top 6 picture. And don't forget people, Laraque was behind on his rehab and likely won't be ready for the start of the season. He's by no means a guarantee to be in the lineup.

Grier would have to be a one year contract, though. I don't understand why we'd want him so badly.

Old
08-04-2009, 11:32 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf View Post
I just cannot wait for the season to start so all this crap can slow down for a while....a guy can dream right?

Anyways while Grier is an interesting player I have to echo the sentiment that there is no real room for him on this team.
I dunno man, all this trade talk plus the team face-lift has made this off-season much more bearable.

I can't believe it's already August...

Old
08-04-2009, 11:39 AM
Coach Brisebois*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
One thing I will say, if we don't sign Stewart he'll definitely be a fit. I wouldn't complain having Grier on our team, I like Stewart too though. Then again, isn't Grier RW and Stewart LW?
Grier plays RW, Moen plays LW, and Stewart played LW last year with us but was drafted as a RW.

Old
08-04-2009, 11:39 AM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisJCloutier View Post
Ummm, yeah....I'm going to have to go ahead and disagree with you

Grier would be a nice addition, depending on the price. I don't want more then a two years contrat. I would love to have more grit on our bottom six. Maybe d'Agostini is gonna get traded, who knows ? And with Laraque doubtful to start the season...

Moen - Lapierre - Grier
Stewart - Metropolit/Chipchura - Laraque

That would be nice wouldn't it ?
And what would the rest of your line-up look like? Don't forget you're still missing Gomez, Gionta, Latendresse, Pacioretty, Cammalleri, A.Kost, S.Kost, D'Agostini and Plekanec.

Old
08-04-2009, 11:53 AM
LouisJCloutier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
And what would the rest of your line-up look like? Don't forget you're still missing Gomez, Gionta, Latendresse, Pacioretty, Cammalleri, A.Kost, S.Kost, D'Agostini and Plekanec.
Well as I said, Laraque could be out at the start of the season, and one of Chipchura or Metropolit will sit. Maybe D'Agostini is traded ?

Anyway, I don't want to see him or Serge Constantin on the bottom 6. They are pretty useless over there IMO. So the lineup could be:

André - Gomez - Gionta
Latendresse - Plekanec - Cammalleri
Moen - Lapierre - Pacioretty
Stewart - Chipchura - Grier

Old
08-04-2009, 11:55 AM
prairie hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafka View Post
He would fit only if a winger gets traded. And by winger, I mean either S.Kostitsyn or D'Agostini. I see a few putting Latendresse on a third line. I don't expect him to play with Lapierre the whole season. He will see top two lines minutes this year. At this point of his development, it is time to give him more offensive responsabilities, and considering the players we have on the top two lines, he could be helpfull there... specially if he improved again his skating this summer.

Why are we still believing that Lats is going to magically turn into the second coming of John Leclair?

I'm sick of the bias he benefits from on these boards:
"He's young", "He was coming off injury", "He hits".

Well, lets call a spade a spade. Lats is injured often (lack of conditioning?). His skating is below average, his defensive play is less than mediocre, and he does not bury enough chances to warrant these supposed top line minutes everyone feels he deserves. He does not play PK, PP, and is not regarded as a "Checker".

This clearly makes Lats EXPENDABLE.

I guarantee you that both D'agostini and Pacioretty will end up playing top two line minutes far more than Lats in the near future..............

Old
08-04-2009, 11:57 AM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Makes no sense whatsoever.

Old
08-04-2009, 12:06 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Not a credible source.

Old
08-04-2009, 12:12 PM
LouisJCloutier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Not a credible source.
That is true.

But you know, it's summer. I like very excuse to talk about hockey

Old
08-04-2009, 12:22 PM
LouisJCloutier

Now would be a good time to make-up a rumour, getting everyone here talking about it, sending link to some random forums and see how much time it take to CKAC to pick-it up

Old
08-04-2009, 12:42 PM
Kafka

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post
[/B]

Why are we still believing that Lats is going to magically turn into the second coming of John Leclair?

Well, lets call a spade a spade. Lats is injured often (lack of conditioning?). His skating is below average, his defensive play is less than mediocre, and he does not bury enough chances to warrant these supposed top line minutes everyone feels he deserves. He does not play PK, PP, and is not regarded as a "Checker".

I guarantee you that both D'agostini and Pacioretty will end up playing top two line minutes far more than Lats in the near future..............
You'll see. I am pretty confident about this call

Pacioretty, A.Kostitsyn and Latendresse are all top two lines material, and Latendresse as its name on that list because not because he is a fan favorite, but because he is right on the pace to become that player.

Latendresse is 230lbs. Not 200 lbs like most players. Bertuzzi became a 25-25-50 guy at 24 years old. Then a 80pts man at 26. Latendresse is 22. Oh, and by the way, people where also saying when Bertuzzi was 22 that he was getting injuried too frequently. Hate him if you want, but don't let that blind your opinion.

Old
08-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post
[/B]

I see where you're coming from, but don't fully agree he is expendable... yet. You should this

article:http://www.lionsinwinter.ca/2009/07/...some-tips.html

Kind of puts into perspective what Lats has to do to remain on the Habs.

Old
08-04-2009, 01:22 PM
Coach Brisebois*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
I see where you're coming from, but don't fully agree he is expendable... yet. You should this

article:http://www.lionsinwinter.ca/2009/07/...some-tips.html

Kind of puts into perspective what Lats has to do to remain on the Habs.
If you can avoid reading this link, do so. The writer does not take into account what style of play was asked of Latendresse or how his linemates affect his play. Tom Kostopoulos can make anyone look bad by outhustling everyone on the rink while failing miserably to provide any offensive threat. Latendresse's job last year was pretty much to stay high in the zone and keep the puck down low by throwing it into the corner for one of his linemates. With Kostopoulos providing so many turnovers (from chasing bad opportunities) and Lapierre having more speed (as well as having the center's role), Lats was required to play the game he did.

from the link:
"Guillaume is big, but playing on a line with Lapierre and Kostopoulos he was also the one player who should have been in front of the net"

If he played in front of the net we would have been victimized by odd-man rushes all the time. There is no way that Kostopoulos could have gotten the puck to Latendresse's stick, he was that bad a passer (how many of his passes were straight to a defenseman last year???).

Closed Thread