HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers walk away from Zherdev arbitration ruling (Update: KHL Rumor False)

Old
08-04-2009, 12:29 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

vCash: 500
Gaborik replaces Z
Dubi replaces Gomez (maybe a stretch put Gomer only had 18 more pts than Dubi and Dubi is getting better)
Higgins replaces Naslund
Anisimov replaces last years dubi (maybe a few points less)
plus we got Kotalik who gives us another 20-25-45

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
So we traded Tyutin for 1 season of Zherdev and a 2nd round pick for a couple months of Antropov. They did help us win 3 playoff games though!
I think there are a few here would dispute that Zherdev helped us win any playoff games.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
nevesis

A sad day...

In honor of Nikolai not being with us anymore, here is LoFFen's incredible video dedicated to Zherdev..."The Greater Good"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrbgFib7UAU

nevesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Man I wanted one more year.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:30 PM
The Perfect Paradox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Go get us a cheap bottom pairing d-man Sather.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:31 PM
Chimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Failure By Design View Post
lol

It would be poor asset and cap management to sign him for 3.9 and not be able to move him for anything also. It was a lose-lose situation.
Posted via Mobile Device
If Kotalik fails, $ather will have to take full blame for this mess. And I am not impressed by Kotalik's work the last couple of seasons, not to mention he's injury prone.

But, since Zherdev would've been gone next season anyway, and I guess $ather worked full time during these 48 hours trying to trade Zherdev to any team and got nothing for it, I guess this was for the best.

If we choose between keeping Dubinsky or Zherdev, the choice is easy, even if I am disappointed at Dubi as well last season.

And oh... these ******* arbitrators, what a joke of a profession they have. They don't do their job and that no one didn't even want to poke at Zherdev with a stick @ $3.9m proves it.

Last edited by Chimp: 08-04-2009 at 12:49 PM.
Chimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Ales Kotalik ($3.000m)
Ryan Callahan ($2.300m) / Chris Higgins ($2.250m) / * Brandon Dubinsky ($2.000m)
Sean Avery ($1.938m) / Donald Brashear ($1.400m) / Artem Anisimov ($0.822m)
Enver Lisin ($0.790m) / Brian Boyle ($0.525m) / Dane Byers ($0.500m)
DEFENSEMEN
Wade Redden ($6.500m) / Michal Rozsival ($5.000m)
Daniel Girardi ($1.550m) / Mike Sauer ($0.847m)
Marc Staal ($0.827m)
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Steve Valiquette ($0.725m)

Assuming Dubinsky gets $2M on his deal, that leaves us a hair over $4.5M to add a 6th and 7th d-man and a spare forward. I think this was the right move to make.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Esa 10

Wow. Brooks' intimations about Zherdev's reputation must be just the Tip of the Iceberg if no one was willing to throw Sather even a late pick. There's no other explanation for no team in the league with cap space and need for scoring not willing to make a trade. Zherdev is going to the KHL.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
RegalRangers

vCash: 783
Un ****ing believable.

I don't care who this guy is, to think that the other additions we've made make Zherdev's 58 points unnecessary is utter *********.

And we get nothing for him. Not even a seventh round draft pick.

I am infuriated by this.

If Gaborik gets injured we could be a lottery team. I hope Gaborik's okay with the tremendous pressure that'll be put on him to score in new york.

So now that Zherdev is gone who do you guys want to make the scapegoat now? Back to Redden? Or should we start with Kotalik right now?

RegalRangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
pld459666

I understand the reason behind why they chose to walk away. I just think it was the wrong decision.

Z gets off to a hot start, his value goes up. Maybe we still only get a 2nd rounder for him. It's still better than nothing.

I'm just not comfortable allowing an asset like this walk without getting anything for him.

I just hope that, now, they are smart with the financial flexibility they have in terms of who they go after to replace Z in the line up.

I think Dubinsky gets done soon.

The next few days are going to be interesting. While not a big fan of Sather, I have to believe he's got something up his sleeve.

We shall see.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
freewheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Fire Sather.

Incompetent bafoon.

You DO NOT let a 24 year old 20+ goal 50+ point player walk FOR FREE. Under ANY circumstances.

Absolutely PATHETIC asset management.

Inexcusable.
You think he rather let him go for nothing than get value for him? Unless you are privvy to some information that we are not, I trust he looked for suitors. The Oilers were presumed interested until recently and they backed down. Everyone knows his deal, and $3.9 per is obviously too much. The arbitrator should not be such a coward and actually value these guys per their production, which includes more than points. He was straight-up detrimental to this team for long stretches, which included the most important games of the season.

freewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Babchuk, kthx?
I'd prefer a guy who's more reliable defensively, but if he comes at a decent price, he isn't the worst option out there.

Old
08-04-2009, 12:34 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
3.9 for one year.

He leaves at the end of the season.

Don't fool yourself into thinking he wouldn't have been able to be moved later in the year.

HORRIBLE asset management.

Wow, he saved some cap space.

Cap space he will probably waste on garbage like Voros or Arnason.
Don't fool yourself into thinking Zherdev would actually perform up to that 3.9 for a whole year.
Posted via Mobile Device

Barbara Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:35 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
I think there are a few here would dispute that Zherdev helped us win any playoff games.
Well perhaps I should have said helped us get to the playoffs. He was one of our top scorers so I don't see how anyone can argue with that.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:36 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
who's out there? Tanguay? that's about it, unless we make a trade, but we really don't make good trading partners with anybody b/c of Redden, Drury and to a lesser extent Rosy.
The Rangers don't necessarily need to fill holes in the forward corps but instead in the defensive corps. Yes we have a great pipeline of young defensemen developing right now but the Rangers need guys on the blue line now. Babchuk is available for trade, a guy we could probably get on the cheap. If Dubinsky signs then use the remainder on a FA such as Seidenberg who had a good year and is a solid Dman.

If you do want another forward, you don't need to get a high paying player like Tanguay. We have scoring on the wings but hard working and grit along with a bit of a scoring touch is something the Rangers will take. Taylor Pyatt is a guy I could really see the Rangers going for because of his size, speed, and work ethic. In a nut shell, he is a bigger Ryan Callahan....he hasn't hit the big time with goals yet but he would be a good addition to the roster IMO.

We can't continue to ***** about contracts like Redden, Drury, and Rozsival. We are stuck with them and have to make due with what is given.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:37 PM
mullichicken25

This was stupid...hope it doesn't come back to bite us in the ass

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:38 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Marian Gaborik ($7.500m) / Chris Drury ($7.050m) / Ales Kotalik ($3.000m)
Ryan Callahan ($2.300m) / Chris Higgins ($2.250m) / * Brandon Dubinsky ($2.000m)
Sean Avery ($1.938m) / Donald Brashear ($1.400m) / Artem Anisimov ($0.822m)
Enver Lisin ($0.790m) / Brian Boyle ($0.525m) / Dane Byers ($0.500m)
DEFENSEMEN
Wade Redden ($6.500m) / Michal Rozsival ($5.000m)
Daniel Girardi ($1.550m) / Mike Sauer ($0.847m)
Marc Staal ($0.827m)
GOALTENDERS
Henrik Lundqvist ($6.875m) / Steve Valiquette ($0.725m)

Assuming Dubinsky gets $2M on his deal, that leaves us a hair over $4.5M to add a 6th and 7th d-man and a spare forward. I think this was the right move to make.
Not sure about Sauer making it--more sure that Gilroy will but other than that completely agree with everything else. We'll be okay. I just looked out the window. The sun is shining. It's a beautiful day. No sign of a serious catastrophe on the way. Who would have thunk that would be the case if we ever walked away from Z?

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:40 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Im not going to argue about asset management, or the overall hindsight of the Tyutin for Zherdev swap until I see the completed roster this season.

---

On one hand I feel tremendously disappointed in letting a developing offensive talent in Zherdev go, whether there is a return for him or not. I really was gunning for the kid and hoping that my blinded excitement for when they got him, wouldnt pan out to this. Some nights the guy played downright special, and i would marvel at some of the things he could do in motion with the puck. Fun to watch.

But heres the key. I can't be disappointed in the Rangers for walking away from a price that is too steep. The disappointment - should be put squarely on Zherdev's shoulders in my eyes for a number or reasons.

The Rangers indeed took a risk in trying to get this kid on the right path, but the player has to be willing to put in the effort necessary to sustain his ability on a consistent basis. Ok, so he didn't for a full season. You could still live with that, because he is still at a young age. But for me, hes got to be willing to say, hey... im gonna try and fit into this team financially and come back next year and prove that I can be a consistent player worthy of the contract i want"

He didnt do that. Sure, every player wants to be paid. Maybe Zherdev will learn, hopefully earlier rather than later, thats there more to life than just what your worth. Its about championships and leaving a mark. I didnt see that fire in him. I dont think many teams, if any see that fire in him either. So when he goes on the open market and takes the highest offer, whether it be in the US, Canada or Russia... maybe hell look back and say, wow the Rangers organization was pretty damn good and they treated me well. Why did i leave that situation?

Whether or not that happens who knows. But the Rangers have more cap space to do a couple more things, one of them - signing a guy who embodies all of which Zherdev does not. Those are the guys you want on your team.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:40 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
Not sure about Sauer making it--more sure that Gilroy will but other than that completely agree with everything else. We'll be okay. I just looked out the window. The sun is shining. It's a beautiful day. No sign of a serious catastrophe on the way. Who would have thunk that would be the case if we ever walked away from Z?
I think Sauer is closer to NHL ready than Gilroy to be honest. I know he's the shiney new toy around here, but making the jump from the NCAA to the NHL is a trying task for a defensemen. Even one that's a Hobey Baker winner.

You could certainly look at it as: We have about $5.4M to add a bottom pairing as well as a reserve forward and/or d-man. The great thing is that since we let Zherdev walk, we can choose who to add based on talent, and not by salary.

Old
08-04-2009, 12:41 PM
Fletch

OK, so was it worth trading Tyutin for a one-year rental of Zherdev? I don't care what our opinions were at the time, the GM is evaluated in hindsight - did he make a good move/gamble? Could Toots have brought back a player signed for more than one season? If you added something like a second rounder, could he have returned someone decent?

Fletch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:41 PM
MortUWary
Registered Loser

For all of the hell that Sather catches for not "admitting mistakes", at least he knows not to compound the mistake into a bigger one. To accept the arbitration award for $3.9 million would've put the Rangers in a precarious situation, even for this one season because they need to sign Dubi and acquire a veteran d-man to step up in case the one or two rookies out of Gilroy, Sauer, Potter, Sanguinetti or Heikkenan falter or go through "growing pains".

It was bad asset management, but Sather knew when to walk away for the greater good of the team. I hope that Z puts all that talent together some day, but I don't feel he was worth the arbitration award, nor do I feel like he had the competitive fire to earn his pay. He wanted it handed to him. Good luck in the KHL, comrade.

MortUWary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:44 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
The Rangers don't necessarily need to fill holes in the forward corps but instead in the defensive corps. Yes we have a great pipeline of young defensemen developing right now but the Rangers need guys on the blue line now. Babchuk is available for trade, a guy we could probably get on the cheap. If Dubinsky signs then use the remainder on a FA such as Seidenberg who had a good year and is a solid Dman.

If you do want another forward, you don't need to get a high paying player like Tanguay. We have scoring on the wings but hard working and grit along with a bit of a scoring touch is something the Rangers will take. Taylor Pyatt is a guy I could really see the Rangers going for because of his size, speed, and work ethic. In a nut shell, he is a bigger Ryan Callahan....he hasn't hit the big time with goals yet but he would be a good addition to the roster IMO.

We can't continue to ***** about contracts like Redden, Drury, and Rozsival. We are stuck with them and have to make due with what is given.

Our most pressing need isn't a #5-6 or 7 dman. We need a god damn playmaker on this team. who is going to set up our so called scoring wings?

We don't need another Ryan Callahan. Frankly we have too many. to much grit on this team and not nearly enough skill. We need somebody who can skate, stickhandle and pass. We don't have that at all.

Frankly I would try to sign Tanguay at all costs right now, b/c he is actually what this team truly NEEDS. a Playmaker.

a #5 or 6 dman won't help this team nearly as much as a top 6 winger/center who can set people up.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
KratomKhrist*

white for a potential ufa who had a season worse than white was always a pipe dream. you guys set yourselves up for disappointment.. i highly doubt there were teams willing to give up assets for a guy about to become a UFA.

KratomKhrist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ogie

all you people on here crying about losing Z would have been calling for his head in a few months, when he wasn't producing.

ogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:45 PM
pld459666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
If Kotalik fails, $ather will have to take full blame for this mess. And I am not impressed by Kotalik's work the last couple of seasons, not to mention he's injury prone.

But, since Zherdev would've been gone next season anyway, and I guess $ather worked full time during these 48 hours trying to trade Zherdev to any team and got nothing for it, I guess this was for the best.

If we choose between keeping Dubinsky or Zherdev, the choice is easy, even if I am disappointed at Dubi as well last season.
While not a huge Kotalik fan, I'm not sure you are giving him enough credit.

Kotalik has played in 92% of his teams games post lockout.

Additionally, he has been the model of consistency aside from the monster season he had in Buffalo. He's averaged .56 points a game over the last three years. His shortest season he was on pace for 47 points.

Again, not a big Kotalik fan, but you can pretty much pencil him in for 20/20. If he can recapture any magic from his days playing next to Drury, maybe those numbes get pushed to 25/25

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote