HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers walk away from Zherdev arbitration ruling (Update: KHL Rumor False)

Old
08-04-2009, 12:49 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BigCanada77
Oh Toots, where art thou??

BigCanada77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ConoR187

Send a message via AIM to ConoR187
not really informed but does this make him a ufa?

ConoR187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Ranger Wolf

Now that Zherdev is an UFA he is free to sign with Ufa.

Ranger Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
daneykosdevils

so six of the rangers twelve forwards did not play for them last year? thats absolutely pathetic. sather is the reason the rangers will not win another stanley cup. you build a team by adding maybe two or three players in the offseason. you don't revamp your team especially when your team nearly won their series. sather is an idiot

daneykosdevils is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:52 PM
n_a_c

First, I assume Sather couldn't find a trade for him which actually improved our team. Like not even a draft pick. I'm surprised - even at 3.9 million he is a talented top 6 guy.

I'm okay with walking away. Kotalik and other UFA signings will replace his production, and hopefully without some of the negative baggage. We are getting UFAs for nothing, and giving Zherdev away for nothing - that's just the way it worked out.

It is easy to second guess the Tyutin trade now, but fact is without Zherdev our offense would have been even more dismal last year, and we didn't need a another defenseman. I'm sure Sather didn't think things would turn out as they did, and also hoped that Zherdev would pull things together and have a great year. Most people agreed at the time that Zherdev had much greater risk/reward than Tyutin. Just turns out that the reward didn't pan out.

The point that if we didn't sign Redden, then we wouldn't have been able to trade Tyutin is a very good one.

Without Zherdev we have space to sign Dubinsky to a few years, and add a veteran or another small piece if needed. And have flexibility for injuries or for a trade deadline acquisition. Definite bonus.

Lastly, the main question is - did Sather improve the team as compared to last year. In my opinion, the answer is an unequivocal YES. Letting Zherdev walk was one part of improving the team.

n_a_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:52 PM
ECL
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to ECL
I'm not a betting man, but I think this is going to be one of the worst decisions this team has ever made.

ECL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:53 PM
TheyareGonnaGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
The great thing is that since we let Zherdev walk, we can choose who to add based on talent, and not by salary.

This is what I'm most excited about.

TheyareGonnaGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
The Rangers don't necessarily need to fill holes in the forward corps but instead in the defensive corps. Yes we have a great pipeline of young defensemen developing right now but the Rangers need guys on the blue line now. Babchuk is available for trade, a guy we could probably get on the cheap. If Dubinsky signs then use the remainder on a FA such as Seidenberg who had a good year and is a solid Dman.

If you do want another forward, you don't need to get a high paying player like Tanguay. We have scoring on the wings but hard working and grit along with a bit of a scoring touch is something the Rangers will take. Taylor Pyatt is a guy I could really see the Rangers going for because of his size, speed, and work ethic. In a nut shell, he is a bigger Ryan Callahan....he hasn't hit the big time with goals yet but he would be a good addition to the roster IMO.

We can't continue to ***** about contracts like Redden, Drury, and Rozsival. We are stuck with them and have to make due with what is given.
Agree. Drury's been a big disappointment if you expected the goal scoring. He's a serviceable player otherwise. Just not worth anywhere near what he's getting and it's arguable whether he's a good captain. But he's going to be with us for at least another season or two--there's not much we can do about that.

The worst contract now is Redden's. Hopefully he'll play better for Tortorella. He and Drury are just about unmoveable right now. Rozsival as well a disappointment--a big raise and he went from a 40 to 30 point player at the same time our pwp tanked. He could be moved though.

I want the right kind of players for the Rangers. We're better off without the passenger types no matter how talented they are. I want players who are happy to be here and we need players who grow up through our system. We need players who will throw down the gloves or throw themselves in front of a shot. It takes a lot of different types to make a team but heart and passion are characteristics you want every single player to have. That's how you build a winning team.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

oh boy.... took 4 pages... here we go...

Old
08-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Da Vinci Chode View Post
so six of the rangers twelve forwards did not play for them last year? thats absolutely pathetic. sather is the reason the rangers will not win another stanley cup. you build a team by adding maybe two or three players in the offseason. you don't revamp your team especially when your team nearly won their series. sather is an idiot
Gomez contract was terrible.
Naslund retired, not Sather's fault.
Antro made too much on the open market
Z wanted too much and was a non-factor during the playoffs.

your point?

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:57 PM
Ranger Wolf

Quote:
Sorry, but in the salary cap era you cannot hold onto a team for long periods of time. You have to have continual young talent coming through the pipeline to be continually good. When aging superstars reach the end or near the end of their high paying contracts you have to trade them away to get younger, cheaper assets. If you have too many high paid contracts on your team you will be forced to gut the team due to lack of flexibility.

Sather got himself into this mess. Now he's trying to get out of it the only possible way he can. Sather still has 4 albatross contracts but it was a miracle that he was even able to trade one of those (Gomez) for decent value and cap room. Gaborik is a gamble but it's a gamble with the most upside since Bure came here. I'm just crossing my fingers that it turns out better than that did.

Zherdev was too expensive and would have saddled the Rangers with additional cap problems, not to mention if there were any number of injuries this year. Sather dealt his own hand and he realized it wasn't going to work in its current state so he is trying again.

Old
08-04-2009, 12:58 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
I'm not a betting man, but I think this is going to be one of the worst decisions this team has ever made.
Agreed, this is absolutely moronic - the very definition of poor management. With Sather it's always one step forward, two steps back.

08-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Yea its really stupid when nearly all of the players brought in are better than the players getting jettisonned. So stupid.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I think Sauer is closer to NHL ready than Gilroy to be honest. I know he's the shiney new toy around here, but making the jump from the NCAA to the NHL is a trying task for a defensemen. Even one that's a Hobey Baker winner.

You could certainly look at it as: We have about $5.4M to add a bottom pairing as well as a reserve forward and/or d-man. The great thing is that since we let Zherdev walk, we can choose who to add based on talent, and not by salary.
Exactly--as of now all the cuts and promotions can be merit based.

eco's bones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Nearly won their series?? Lundqvist's play was the only reason that series went seven games. The forwards were pathetic. Get a clue.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bmundus

glen waited to long. the closer he got to the arbitration date the lower the price he could get for Z was. if i was a GM i would not even try to trade a 7th round after the arbitration date.
so the only thing i think glen should have done is trade him early. Z was not in the rangers plans this year. he gambled with the ruling and lost.
the only thing i think could happen is that glen knows no one else wants to pay him 3.9, so he leaves the 3.25 out on the table. i think Z can get 3.5 easy, i also think that Z would take a big pay cut to play with the Wings. we will see.....

bmundus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
Agreed, this is absolutely moronic - the very definition of poor management. With Sather it's always one step forward, two steps back.
More like 2 steps forward and 1 step back.

Im not crying that Z is gone, although I would've wished to get a little something in return at the very least. But even with Z gone, this team should be better offensively.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:00 PM
Draft Guru

vCash: 920
You have to believe Sather was trying to deal Zherdev since the end of the season. But really, who wants to spend 3-4 million on a player who doesn't compete every night and who didn't show up for a single PERIOD of the playoffs? He had no takers. If he did, he would have moved him.

No one is going to give Zherdev what he wants. He's going to the KHL.

Bad asset management? Debatable, but it was a gamble and it didn't pay off. He's not a Tortorella type player. He doesn't respond to tough love. Better to cut ties now than have him be a distraction this season. You damn well know he would have been in Tortorella's dog house.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:01 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
Our most pressing need isn't a #5-6 or 7 dman. We need a god damn playmaker on this team. who is going to set up our so called scoring wings?

We don't need another Ryan Callahan. Frankly we have too many. to much grit on this team and not nearly enough skill. We need somebody who can skate, stickhandle and pass. We don't have that at all.

Frankly I would try to sign Tanguay at all costs right now, b/c he is actually what this team truly NEEDS. a Playmaker.

a #5 or 6 dman won't help this team nearly as much as a top 6 winger/center who can set people up.
Sign Tanguay at all costs? Well sign Dubinsky and you have yourself 1 playmaking center. Sure he will be a rookie but Anisimov is a play making center...there is 2 centers. the 3rd line can have a guy like Lisin who, maybe doesn't use his playmaking as much but is good at it, so there is a 3rd play maker. The 4th line is for defense and being a general pain in the ass on the ice and doesn't really need a play maker. Rangers can't just go out and get people every time. You need to work from within.
Would it be nice to get a top play making center? Yea of course it would be. But realistically it is going to be very hard to get one without giving up assets we don't want to.

I would rather go with the forward group we have and solidify our defense than try to get a top playmaker and leave our defense open with 3 rookies. I like young players in the lineup but thats too much.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:02 PM
BigCanada77
NYR in the Midwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
You have to believe Sather was trying to deal Zherdev since the end of the season. But really, who wants to spend 3-4 million on a player who doesn't compete every night and who didn't show up for a single PERIOD of the playoffs? He had no takers. If he did, he would have moved him.

No one is going to give Zherdev what he wants. He's going to the KHL.

Bad asset management? Debatable, but it was a gamble and it didn't pay off. He's not a Tortorella type player. He doesn't respond to tough love. Better to cut ties now than have him be a distraction this season. You damn well know he would have been in Tortorella's dog house.
DG returns!! and I agree, he would've be benched from day one lol

Old
08-04-2009, 01:04 PM
Esa 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
dumb... Zherdev @ 1 season of $3.9 mil is much better than Kotalik for 3 seasons @3mil no matter how you slice it...

So now we have the all grit, but can't pass team to set up the goalscorers...
They could be putting the finishing touches on a Tanguay contract. Point being, no reason to panic til October.

Esa 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:05 PM
Ranger Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmundus View Post
the only thing i think could happen is that glen knows no one else wants to pay him 3.9, so he leaves the 3.25 out on the table. i think Z can get 3.5 easy, i also think that Z would take a big pay cut to play with the Wings. we will see.....
I disagree. If Zherdev was an UFA July 1st then I would agree. Most teams are near the cap now so they cannot just pay top dollar for an enigma. I doubt he will even be able to get his qualifying offer ($3.25 mil) at this stage. If Zherdev really wanted to play in the NHL then his agent poorly represented him and gave him bad advice. If he really wanted to play in the KHL then he handled his lack of leverage perfectly. If he didn't care one way or another then that proves he is more concerned with money and he is not a player I want on the team.

Old
08-04-2009, 01:07 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:
Originally Posted by azrok22 View Post
The proper mulligan would be used on the Redden signing. If we don't sign Redden on July 1st, we don't trade Tyutin for Zherdev on July 2nd.

Making last summer epic fail. Just like almost everything else Slats has done. The only time he was right was on Jagr and he lucked into him and surrounded him with a few of his buddies.

Unbelievable.

Kovy274Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
freewheeler

Losing Zherdev is not a big deal. The trade, in hindsight, was a loss. But it was a high risk/reward move. It lost. For those of you crying about losing 60 points, this team is more than 60 points from really contending, and even if Zherdev became the superstar some of you are suggesting, he was just ask for an even more absurd payday, which the rangers wouldn't be able to or willing to match. In his back pocket is a likely willingness to go the to KHL at any moment. This on top of the fact that he is a cancer on the ice. Yes he pops in a few and has scored a few big goals, but shift to shift, when he is not scoring, he is consistently putting the team in a bad position. If you are going to commit $4-6 million on a guy long term, you want him to do more than simply put up points. You want to win. Zherdev leaving will make this team better. He's a bum and a loser.

freewheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
captain9nyr
@captain9nyr

Send a message via AIM to captain9nyr
Would you guys be any happier 10 games into the season when we'd be carrying $3.9M for a guy who the coach had already benched for 4 of those 10 games?

captain9nyr is offline   Reply With Quote