HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers walk away from Zherdev arbitration ruling (Update: KHL Rumor False)

Old
08-04-2009, 01:08 PM
Whoot Whoot
Biased-NYR-Homer

vCash: 500
If they don't sign my boy Dubi - I am rooting for the islanders.

well no i wont ..... but you know what I mean

Whoot Whoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:08 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Da Vinci Chode View Post
so six of the rangers twelve forwards did not play for them last year? thats absolutely pathetic. sather is the reason the rangers will not win another stanley cup. you build a team by adding maybe two or three players in the offseason. you don't revamp your team especially when your team nearly won their series. sather is an idiot
Da Vinci Code is a lousy book by the way.

In response to what you're saying though you have to be happy with your core. On your team there is more reason to be and if Renney were still here--there probably wouldn't be so many changes. Tortorella though was not happy with a number of players and with the overall conditioning of the team he inherited. The Rangers as well were too small and not aggressive enough to compete seriously with the better teams. The Rangers as well have a lot coming from their farm system--a lot more than the Devils by the way--though some of what's coming probably won't work out as well as we hope. Even so--we have the deepest group of prospects I ever remember us having (and I've been a Rangers fan since the early 70's)--at least apart from in goal. For instance looking at our D and not including Staal and Girardi--we have 9 guys who have a reasonable to excellent shot at becoming NHL defensemen--Gilroy, Sanguinetti, MDZ, Heikkinen, Potter, McDonagh, Valentenko, Kundratek and Williams.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:09 PM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:
so six of the rangers twelve forwards did not play for them last year? thats absolutely pathetic. sather and Dolan are the reason the rangers will not win another stanley cup. you build a team by adding maybe two or three players in the offseason. you don't revamp your team especially when your team nearly won their series. sather is an idiot
Did you watch this team? They were one of the most dull, flawed products ever. The only thing I agree with is bolded and fixed slightly.

Kovy274Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:09 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

This is a spiteful old man making a point, that's all. Sather's biggest problem always has been and always will be his ego. Whenever he can approach things logically and dispassionately, he does well. Whenever he feels he is being challenged or disrespected, he does what it takes to make his point. The team suffers as a result.

Viewing the situation from a simple analysis of asset management it's a bad move, period. How on earth do you justify Kotalik at $9MM for 3 years over Zherdev at only $900K more for one year? Because, that is what this boils down to, and anyone who says that they'd rather have Kotalik,

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:11 PM
bmw2004

I knew that this would be the scenario right after the season was over. I was hoping that I was wrong. I said this a while ago in one of my posts. The decision on his part being made by both parties. Zherdev would not want to sign a new contract with the team and Rangers did not want him back with organization. I had this info from a knowledgeable source. That's all I can say guys.

bmw2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
This is a spiteful old man making a point, that's all. Sather's biggest problem always has been and always will be his ego. Whenever he can approach things logically and dispassionately, he does well. Whenever he feels he is being challenged or disrespected, he does what it takes to make his point. The team suffers as a result.

Viewing the situation from a simple analysis of asset management it's a bad move, period. How on earth do you justify Kotalik at $9MM for 3 years over Zherdev at only $900K more for one year? Because, that is what this boils down to, and anyone who says that they'd rather have Kotalik, especially on those terms, is ****ing stoned.
I'd rather have a lesser talent who battles than the most talented underachiever.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:14 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

i feel like kicking puppies right now.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:15 PM
DontStepanMe

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
Sign Tanguay at all costs?
ok well maybe i exaggerated a lil. But I would make him a priority, and really pursue him. we need a player like him.

Quote:
Well sign Dubinsky and you have yourself 1 playmaking center. Sure he will be a rookie but Anisimov is a play making center...there is 2 centers. the 3rd line can have a guy like Lisin who, maybe doesn't use his playmaking as much but is good at it, so there is a 3rd play maker.
so basically what your saying is we don't have any. dubi is a decent playmaker, but is nothing special. Sorry but I'm not ready to claim him to be a bonafide playmaker. Can he turn into one. Yes. Is he there yet? No.

Anisimov, is a rookie. Do you really want to hang out playmaking on a rookie. We have absolutely no clue how good or bad he will be. Success is not guaranteed.

Lisin? Really? A playmaker. Really? So a guy who couldn't stick permanently on the Coyotes we are pining our hopes on.

Wow... I feel so much better now and giddy about our skill and playmaking abilities.

And what happens if we have an injury? Are we basing our entire offense on having only three playmakers? Don't say Grachev b/c we don't even know how he will handle the AHL let alone the NHL.

We have no depth in the playmaking dept. NONE. It is by far our biggest weakness and IMO a major flaw and downfall of our offense.

Quote:
The 4th line is for defense and being a general pain in the ass on the ice and doesn't really need a play maker. Rangers can't just go out and get people every time. You need to work from within.
Would it be nice to get a top play making center? Yea of course it would be. But realistically it is going to be very hard to get one without giving up assets we don't want to.
Don't need to give up assets to get Tanguay. Just money. How much? I don't know, but if we can get him for something reasonable, say $2.5-$3mil i would love it. And it could actually make us a force in the East.

Quote:
I would rather go with the forward group we have and solidify our defense than try to get a top playmaker and leave our defense open with 3 rookies. I like young players in the lineup but thats too much.
3 Rookies. as far as I see it only two rookies will be playing per night. We have Staal, Girardi, Redden, Rosy as our top 4 and tons of depth in the d dept.

We have no depth in forward playmaking dept. We actually don't have a bonafide playmaker on this team. Dubi is the closest thing we have, and he hasn't posted more than 41 pts in a season. Let's see what he can do this year, and if he can improve his game.

DontStepanMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Ranger Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote13 View Post
I'd rather have a lesser talent who battles than the most talented underachiever.
I guess that makes both you and me a stoner.

Ranger Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:16 PM
94now

Quote:
so six of the rangers twelve forwards did not play for them last year? thats absolutely pathetic. sather is the reason the rangers will not win another stanley cup. you build a team by adding maybe two or three players in the offseason. you don't revamp your team especially when your team nearly won their series. sather is an idiot
Dolan runs Knicks same way. I think Dolan approved if not insisted on the decision. I am convinced now that Zherdev is much better off without the Rangers than Rangers without him. We are doomed, while Z has a bright future in front of him. He will play in Toronto and will kick this moron Tortorella arch as soundly as Kovalev did same to Souppy.
We are not making the palyoffs. Lundqvist should request a trade at some point.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:16 PM
TheHMan

What are the Rangers going to use now to trade for Heatley?
Posted via Mobile Device

TheHMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:18 PM
ThisYearsModel

Slats is an egotistical jerk. Remember our lack of a PP QB since Leetch's departure and Slats doing the same kind of thing to teach Zidlicky a "lesson?" That is what this is about.......and about Slats gifting Fedor Tjutin to the Jackets. Fear not......we have Kotalik. What a tool.

ThisYearsModel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:18 PM
LetsGoBlueshirts

This move also opens up the possibility of a trade (perhaps a play-making center) in which we take on more salary than we give up. That will be something new for us .

LetsGoBlueshirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:22 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rags225 View Post
ok well maybe i exaggerated a lil. But I would make him a priority, and really pursue him. we need a player like him.

so basically what your saying is we don't have any. dubi is a decent playmaker, but is nothing special. Sorry but I'm not ready to claim him to be a bonafide playmaker. Can he turn into one. Yes. Is he there yet? No.

Anisimov, is a rookie. Do you really want to hang out playmaking on a rookie. We have absolutely no clue how good or bad he will be. Success is not guaranteed.

Lisin? Really? A playmaker. Really? So a guy who couldn't stick permanently on the Coyotes we are pining our hopes on.

Wow... I feel so much better now and giddy about our skill and playmaking abilities.

And what happens if we have an injury? Are we basing our entire offense on having only three playmakers? Don't say Grachev b/c we don't even know how he will handle the AHL let alone the NHL.

We have no depth in the playmaking dept. NONE. It is by far our biggest weakness and IMO a major flaw and downfall of our offense.

Don't need to give up assets to get Tanguay. Just money. How much? I don't know, but if we can get him for something reasonable, say $2.5-$3mil i would love it. And it could actually make us a force in the East.

3 Rookies. as far as I see it only two rookies will be playing per night. We have Staal, Girardi, Redden, Rosy as our top 4 and tons of depth in the d dept.

We have no depth in forward playmaking dept. We actually don't have a bonafide playmaker on this team. Dubi is the closest thing we have, and he hasn't posted more than 41 pts in a season. Let's see what he can do this year, and if he can improve his game.
It is not the most ideal situation but it is hard to have every aspect on one team. Dubinsky and Anisimov are both decent playmakers who are only going to get better. Lisin didn't stick with the Coyotes because Wayne Gretzky is a dumbass coach and has no idea what he is doing behind the bench.

Like I said I would like to get a top playmaking center as well but I am just looking at what we have at the moment. Tanguay would be a nice player to get on the cheap but realistically this team needs at least one more defenseman who has played in the NHL and has been solid.

Either way, the offseason has a long way to go. I hope we can satisfy both of our concerns for this team.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post

Viewing the situation from a simple analysis of asset management it's a bad move, period. How on earth do you justify Kotalik at $9MM for 3 years over Zherdev at only $900K more for one year? Because, that is what this boils down to, and anyone who says that they'd rather have Kotalik,
Why do I get the feeling this has more to do with Tortorella than it does with Sather?

From a numbers standpoint, your presentation makes sense, but unfortunately thats NOT all it boils down to. I think it boils down to a hardass like Torts not wanting to deal with a player unwilling to make any sort of sacrifice on the ice.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

I don't see how losing Zherdev is "horrible asset management"

I mean, how big of an asset was Zherdev to NHL GM's? To me, cap space is also an asset.

You can't tell me that Sather didn't try to trade him. Nobody bit. It happens. GM have their hands tied for a variety of reasons. If this were 1992, then we probably would have gotten a 1st or 2nd rounder for him. But in this day and age, nobody wantas to even think about acquiring a 4-million dollar experiment.

In my opinion, if other GM's traded for Zherdev, THEY would be the ones making terrible decisions when they could have signed UFA's like Fedotenko and Samuelsson and Satan and Sykora for half the price of Zherdev without giving up a pick or player.

So in that regard, trading Tyutin (who was overrated on these boards and for the third year in a row had a terrible playoff) for Zherdev was a justified Gamble since Sather knew he was losing Jagr, Shanny, Avery and Straka. I put the blame on Zherdev for not making his mark here in new York when he was given every opportunity to shed some baggage.

But like I said before, Zherdev's stock PLUMMETED after he had a bad second half and was criticized by two Rangers coaches in one season. On top of that, he was given a hefty raise that teams will avoid because of their internal caps and/or the expected salary cap decrease.

I'm just glad it's over. I definitely approve of not keeping him at 3.9.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:23 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Add Zherdev to the long list of players who could not perform in the big city. Credit to Sather for not buying in to Zherdev's overinflated potential.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:23 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger Wolf View Post
I guess that makes both you and me a stoner.
I'd rather be that...than the below...."sky is falling, sky is falling..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Dolan runs Knicks same way. I think Dolan approved if not insisted on the decision. I am convinced now that Zherdev is much better off without the Rangers than Rangers without him. We are doomed, while Z has a bright future in front of him. He will play in Toronto and will kick this moron Tortorella arch as soundly as Kovalev did same to Souppy.
We are not making the palyoffs. Lundqvist should request a trade at some point.

Bluenote13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:26 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

People need to calm down. No matter how much you complain, I'm still not renaming the thread: "Sather lets Zherdev walk-- Rangers franchise spins out of control and moves to Hamilton."

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:29 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
now thats a good one. did i watch the wrong series ?

that series was close on paper yes, but if not for henrik, we get swept. that series was mostly us hanging on for dear life, and alot of hank standing on his head. offensively, we suked.

sorry but this team needed to be blown up.

and by the way, torts had alot to do with zherdev not being back so it aint just slats.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:30 PM
94now

Quote:
I'd rather be that...than the below...."sky is falling, sky is falling..."
You will be undoubtedly. Just give it some time. As of today our roster is as dysfunctional as last year or worse.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Lundqvist=Vezina
Legendary

Send a message via AIM to Lundqvist=Vezina
This is so ****ing stupid. It was a 1 year deal. If Zherdev wasn't worth the 3.9 this year then he was gone the next year anyway. Not a strapping contract.

Sather should have traded him if he wasn't going to accept what had to be an expected award for salary arbitration.What a ****ing joke.

Lundqvist=Vezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Dolan runs Knicks same way. I think Dolan approved if not insisted on the decision.
I agree with you here. The Dolans are the worst owners in professional sports. I remember it was not long ago that David Stern was petitioning them to sell the Knicks because they have been so bad for so long. Basketball is a huge part of urban NYC and to have the pro team be so awful it is a disgrace. The Dolans have no idea who to put in charge. Whether it be GM's, presidents, or CEO's. They let Isiah Thomas run the Knicks into the ground, they've let Glen Sather make terrible move after terrible move. The Rangers were awful for 7 seasons and there are 2 reasons they have made the playoffs since the lockout: Henrik Lundqvist and Jaromir Jagr. Not Glen Sather.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:32 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
now thats a good one. did i watch the wrong series ?

that series was close on paper yes, but if not for henrik, we get swept. that series was mostly us hanging on for dear life, and alot of hank standing on his head. offensively, we suked.

sorry but this team needed to be blown up.

and by the way, torts had alot to do with zherdev not being back so it aint just slats.
And Gomez too probably.

Oh, and Naslund retired. and the entire 4th line happened to be UFA's...

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:33 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Quote:
Right, 'cause a team full of Jed Ortmeyers is going to win the Stanley Cup. At the end of the day, as much as people don't want to admit it, the goal of hockey is to outscore the other team. Zherdev had more skill in this area than anyone on this team not named Gaborik.

Was he flawed? Absolutely. Did he need to learn to compete at a higher level? Absolutely. Can that be taught, whereas talent is pretty much determined from day one? ABSOLUTELY. Look, I'm not saying that he was perfect. All I'm saying is that one bad PO series should not have determined his fate. Furthermore, if the situation had been handled differently, I find it very hard to believe that we couldn't at least have gotten something good in return - but that is very hard to do when you've basically told the world that you're going to stick it to the ungrateful *******. Finally, and most importantly, his replacement is an inferior player - if we had somehow managed to sign Cammalleri for Kotalik's deal rather than Kotalik, you wouldn't be hearing a peep from me. Instead, we saved $900K... and became a worse team in the process.

Kotalik is also accused of being a floater and being an enigma. Except he produces 60% of Zherdev's results for 80% of his salary. And we're locked in for 3 years. Can't wait to see the threads the moment he goes into his first prolonged slump.

BrooklynRangersFan is offline   Reply With Quote