HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Zherdev let Go

Old
08-04-2009, 12:22 PM
middletoe
Why am I me?

vCash: 500
If Zherdev is as lazy as some have suggested, and has shown no signs of changing, I wouldn't want him on my team at even the league minimum.

middletoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:23 PM
BPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly2 View Post
1. All the teams in that list are not bad.
2. The Devils have done very little to replace Gionta, Madden, and Shanahan.
3. The Devils have shown a willingness to experiment on Russians by drafting Zharkov and Vasyunov.
4. Zherdev would like to remain in the Atlantic division for 2 reasons. He likes the light travel schedule and would like nothing more than to stick it to the Rangers.
He definitely does not fit the "stereotypical Devils player" mold at all. However, to take a flyer on the guy for a year is no big deal. Those are all valid points - the Devils have the cap space and a line with Zajac or Parise and Zherdev can probably be a hell of a force.

BPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:23 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyHobbs View Post
and i loved that trade....................
As a Columbus fan, I certainly did.

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Tom Atkins

Why does every thread on here have to turn into a Habs/Rangers debate over the Gomez trade. Seems to happen all the time!

Tom Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
BPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harmony View Post
Assume? That's not what I'm doing. Hope would be the good word. We've seen players turn around their career with their new team often in that league. As a Habs fan, I've seen it happen too many times at our expense to "assume", as you do, that he'll suck and that we'll scream for his head at the end of the year. Time will tell. Higgins could very well turn back to his old form too. I wish you so (but honestly I'll be a bit pissed if it happens while Gomez sucks... ).
Hope is a good word for that, I suppose. I just don't see it happening, man.

As far as Higgins goes...honestly, I expect 20-20. If I get better out of him, good.

Old
SenatorArmy

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to SenatorArmy Send a message via Yahoo to SenatorArmy
I agree that Zherdev would relish the opportunity to play alongside Crosby & Malkin & he could very well flourish there. But it might not be worth it for Pittsburgh to give up what they would have to in order to accomodate him.

SenatorArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilsfanatic View Post
Then, the Canadiens are going to try and mix him with Gionta, to try and recapture the 48 goal, 89 point season he had or the 33 goal 51 assist season Gomez had. They spent 12 million dollars hoping to recapture magic from three years ago, and the players are now older.
FOUR years ago.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:25 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olly2 View Post
1. All the teams in that list are not bad.
2. The Devils have done very little to replace Gionta, Madden, and Shanahan.
3. The Devils have shown a willingness to experiment on Russians by drafting Zharkov and Vasyunov.
4. Zherdev would like to remain in the Atlantic division for 2 reasons. He likes the light travel schedule and would like nothing more than to stick it to the Rangers.
The core group are pretty bad. Save for Nashville, I love them. And mayyyyyybe Minny. But I doubt it.

We don't need to replace Gionta or Madden, and Shanahan hasn't left completely. In fact, I'd say it's 80-20 that he does comeback. We have younger blood to fill in for them. Madden wasn't a goal scoring force anyway. I'm not worried about our goal scoring.

Jaysfanatic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
If they don't pan out, they're stuck with awful contracts for the next five years that they won't be able to get rid of.
I don't see how people can say the Gomez contract will be unmoveable for the Canadiens...a month after it was just moved by the Rangers.

Must be because Gainey is some sort of halfwit troglodyte that could be out-GMed by any HFboards poster with NHL Centre Ice.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD View Post
I'm a civil Rangers fan. I will freely admit when I agree with Devils and Isles fans (speaking of which, what happened with the Lighthouse meetings?). I just don't understand why MTL wouldn't learn from the Rangers mistakes and why they would let us off the hook on one of the 3 worst contracts in the NHL.

Listen, if Gomez, Gionta and Cammalleri recapture that magic and they're a line to be reckoned with, every team in the east is in trouble. The more likely scenario is that they have a 60 point across the board first line that gets bullied around by larger teams, like Boston, Toronto, Philly and the like.
They did that because they couldn't get any other number 1 centre at a price they were willing to pay, or wasn't available. The day it happened, coincidentally right before July 1st, is an indication he wanted that centre before FA to help make Montréal more attractive. Though, everyone else here will say "No, it was the money" Well, money has scared off players before.

No doubt Gomez is overpaid and never in his career was he worth what his cap hit is.

This is a thread about Zherdev, though and I wouldn't be surprised to hear habs journalists talking about getting him and fans as well. Kovalev is gone, we need a Russian with immense skill who rarely uses it. Besides, I think he's LW and we need one of those to fill out the top 6.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:26 PM
BwayBshirt

I'd still do that trade over again at the time it happened.

Tyutin was coming off of 1+ sub-par seasons with the Rangers(dating back to the East Semi vs. Buffalo), Backman needed to be cleared off the books, & the team needed a skilled forward like Zherdev.

Zherdev definitely has the skill but unfortunately in addition to the lack of play within a team concept he showed no desire to even attempt to take over games by himself. To date he's just happy being a passenger along for the ride which irritates the hell out of me.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Prendan Brust

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Drago View Post
Why does every thread on here have to turn into a Habs/Rangers debate over the Gomez trade. Seems to happen all the time!
Sorry, you're right, it isn't the subject of this thread. I couldn't help but answer but I'm done now.

Prendan Brust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:28 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
FOUR years ago.
ha, you're right, my mistake. Still, bad stuff.

hototogisu. He's 29 now? Almost 30.......that's why Gainey took a chance. The Habs will try two seasons of it, at which point he'll be close to 33, no one wants to get stuck with an older player who's underperforming at a terrible deal.

Old
drofnats

I hope Leafs sign him... We'd probably have to clear a couple million in cap, but that shouldn't be too difficult. Trading one of Stajan, Poni, Stempniak or MVR for a pick should do it.

drofnats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
4thliner*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPD View Post
As opposed to top 20 defensive prospect for 5 years of overpaid Gomez?
Sather had Gainey bent over. Don't know how anyone can say otherwise. Taking that 7.3 long term albatross for a player who isnt worth it like Gomez was bad enough. Rangers got a solid prospect out of it too.

4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:29 PM
BPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
They did that because they couldn't get any other number 1 centre at a price they were willing to pay, or wasn't available. The day it happened, coincidentally right before July 1st, is an indication he wanted that centre before FA to help make Montréal more attractive. Though, everyone else here will say "No, it was the money" Well, money has scared off players before.

No doubt Gomez is overpaid and never in his career was he worth what his cap hit is.

This is a thread about Zherdev, though and I wouldn't be surprised to hear habs journalists talking about getting him and fans as well. Kovalev is gone, we need a Russian with immense skill who rarely uses it. Besides, I think he's LW and we need one of those to fill out the top 6.
I'm sure Z wants nothing more than to go play alongside Gomez again.

I'm sure his name will come up in connection to the Canadiens. I doubt Gainey does it though.

Old
08-04-2009, 12:30 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
ha, you're right, my mistake. Still, bad stuff.

hototogisu. He's 29 now? Almost 30.......that's why Gainey took a chance. The Habs will try two seasons of it, at which point he'll be close to 33, no one wants to get stuck with an older player who's underperforming at a terrible deal.
You're operating on quite a few "what ifs" yourself, you realize.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:31 PM
TaketheCannoli
RIP

Quote:
Playing with Malkin could really keep him in line, maybe? I dunno the inner workings of the Penguins locker room, and I'd never claim to be. It just seems like the combo would be good for them. I mean the guy had damn near 60 points last season playing without a playmaker like Crosby or Malkin. And no, Gomez doesn't even come close.

I'd kick tires if I were Shero, anyway.
They tried to do that with Fedorov. Columbus traded for Sergei Fedorov and immediately asked him to help and mentor Zherdev.
After a while, Fedorov told team management, "The guy just won't listen!" Management asked Feds to keep trying, be his friend, show him how to become a winner. A year later, Fedorov told the press, "Z just won't listen to anyone!"

TaketheCannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

3.9 is not that bad of a contract. i dont understand why they wouldnt re-sign him to it. all these huge contracts sather is handing out are finally catching up with him, they are unable to sign some of their younger players

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
You're operating on quite a few "what ifs" yourself, you realize.
Absolutely. I'm not going to mince words. IF it works out, it'll be gravy for the Habs, and will be a very redeeming season for them, and Bob Gainey will be a genius. However, it's asking for a lot for guys who overachieved one season and haven't come close since. The chances of failure are 70-30. I'll never, ever write off a team completely. I'll be skeptic, but never write em off totally. I'm a Devils fan, and being written off is what we specialize in

Old
08-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny

best move sather has done this off season is letting zherdev walk
And for the people saying the rangers are going no where:
We got great defensive players and prospects
One of the top goalies in the league
A superstar(gaborik)
And good offensive prospects
Posted via Mobile Device

Swagelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:34 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 View Post
3.9 is not that bad of a contract. i dont understand why they wouldnt re-sign him to it. all these huge contracts sather is handing out are finally catching up with him, they are unable to sign some of their younger players
It's not just the contract. I'm sure Tortorella didn't/doesn't particularly care for him either.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:35 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by leek View Post
They tried to do that with Fedorov. Columbus traded for Sergei Fedorov and immediately asked him to help and mentor Zherdev.
After a while, Fedorov told team management, "The guy just won't listen!" Management asked Feds to keep trying, be his friend, show him how to become a winner. A year later, Fedorov told the press, "Z just won't listen to anyone!"
In that case.......I still say take a flier on him. Just barely though, haha.

Old
08-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Jaysfanatic*
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr1994 View Post
best move sather has done this off season is letting zherdev walk
And for the people saying the rangers are going no where:
We got great defensive players and prospects
One of the top goalies in the league
A superstar(gaborik) for 25 games
And good offensive prospects
Posted via Mobile Device
That's more like it . The best move he did this off-season was the Gomez trade, not letting Zherdev walk. In fact, for 900K more, I'd rather have Zherdev than Kotalik.

Old
08-04-2009, 12:37 PM
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Golden Swallow

Quote:
Playing with Malkin could really keep him in line, maybe? I dunno the inner workings of the Penguins locker room, and I'd never claim to be. It just seems like the combo would be good for them. I mean the guy had damn near 60 points last season playing without a playmaker like Crosby or Malkin. And no, Gomez doesn't even come close.

I'd kick tires if I were Shero, anyway.
Like I said, it's intriguing. But like you say:

Quote:
Why would we be interested in Zherdev?? He's not a Devils type player. No defense, no heart, too much money. We have NO reason to add this guy. We're trying to save cap space. Not add to it.
These factors aren't solely applicable to the Devils. The Pens don't need a diva distraction when they already have more talented players who've shown they can both produce and win without the headache.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote