HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Zimmerman resigns. Mike Gillis and Victor de Bonis take over.

Old
08-04-2009, 12:11 PM
LostMyGlasses*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey View Post
The Canucks under Zimmerman as President CEO has made Aqualini a bucket load of money... more direct profit than
any previous years when owned by McCaw. This is due to focused marketing, better creative ticket distribution,
(such as charging those wanting to be on the season ticket holder a deposit.)
Do you honestly think this is good policy? Squeeze the pennies out of fans who aren't even close to getting tickets?

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:19 PM
Wellwood You

Zimmerman resigns. Gillis to replace as President.

Presser here:

http://canucks.nhl.com/team/app/?ser...ticleid=463422

Quote:
Vancouver, B.C. – Canucks Sports & Entertainment announced today that President and CEO, Chris Zimmerman has made the decision to step down from his position for family reasons.

[...]

“I have made the very difficult decision to resign my position with Canucks Sports & Entertainment and re-locate my family back to the eastern United States,” said Zimmerman. “These past three years have been a tremendous personal and professional experience for me and I have loved working and living in the greatest hockey city in the world. I would like to thank the Aquilini family for their commitment to this city and this team, the incredible staff at Canucks Sports & Entertainment, our loyal business partners and the most passionate fans in the NHL for their support during my time here in Vancouver.”

Effective immediately, General Manager and Alternate Governor, Mike Gillis has been named the President of Canucks Sports & Entertainment. Gillis, in partnership with Chief Operating Officer, Victor de Bonis will be responsible for the overall strategic direction of the company including broadcast, marketing, sponsorship and ticket sales, finance, human resources and arena operations.

Wellwood You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:21 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Well Gillis holds so many of the franchises cards now he won't be able to avoid much criticism, but will get a ton of glory if we can win.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Jay Cee
P4G

All hail King Mike

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:32 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Clearly the Aquilinis weren't going for a ceremonial president when they hired Zimmerman, so I doubt their next hire is either.
They just dropped it in Mike Gillis' lap, so I disagree . Maybe they just want him to have the same titles as Burke?

Does it strike anyone else as odd that they had a CEO and COO? I understand it's the managing company, but do most teams have this kind of structure?

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Zorbane

It's official now.

Looks like his duties are being spread out between Mike Gillis and Victor De Boneris

Zorbane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:33 PM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyatt4God View Post
All hail King Mike
Soon he will buy the Canucks from Aquilini
Then the Coyotes... and he will slowly but surely annex the other teams into his kingdom.

There will be relentless takeovers until we will become 1 team, the Vancouver Canucks, under the control of King Mike Gillis...

However, despite this, we won't win the Cup

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:36 PM
FruityPants3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorbane View Post
It's official now.

Looks like his duties are being spread out between Mike Gillis and Victor De Boneris
So I guess these two just had enough free time on their plate to take on these incredibly demanding, important, and success defining positions . Unless this is a temporary measure, I'm a bit skeptical about the value placed on these positions.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:44 PM
vancityluongo
undisputed genius

vCash: 1070
Wait, so then who is "CEO"? Or has that position been "terminated"?

Also, was this de Bonis guy "COO" before, or is this a hiring?

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:46 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
They just dropped it in Mike Gillis' lap, so I disagree . Maybe they just want him to have the same titles as Burke?

Does it strike anyone else as odd that they had a CEO and COO? I understand it's the managing company, but do most teams have this kind of structure?
The Canucks have had this structure for a while now. I think it has to do with the fact that the Canucks are owned by Canucks Sports & Entertainment, which has things to do other than running a hockey team (like administering GM Place, and making half-hearted attempts to buy another basketball team )

Burke's Evil Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:52 PM
SaucyNavel
GinoGinoGino

In addition, Canucks Sports & Entertainment is pleased to announce that Tod Leiweke, Chief Executive Officer for the Seattle Seahawks and President of First and Goal Inc., who is a former senior executive with the Vancouver Canucks, will join the board of Canucks Sports & Entertainment. Leiweke will also act as an advisor to Francesco Aquilini, Mike Gillis and Victor de Bonis.

“Tod brings a tremendous amount of experience and expertise in professional sports to our board,” said Aquilini. “We are excited about the opportunity to work with him on a number of initiatives as we continue to grow our business.”

SaucyNavel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:01 PM
Meganuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidz View Post
In addition, Canucks Sports & Entertainment is pleased to announce that Tod Leiweke, Chief Executive Officer for the Seattle Seahawks and President of First and Goal Inc., who is a former senior executive with the Vancouver Canucks, will join the board of Canucks Sports & Entertainment. Leiweke will also act as an advisor to Francesco Aquilini, Mike Gillis and Victor de Bonis.

“Tod brings a tremendous amount of experience and expertise in professional sports to our board,” said Aquilini. “We are excited about the opportunity to work with him on a number of initiatives as we continue to grow our business.”
Should be interesting. although the Seahawks arent the model franchise for the NFL. Now if he had said the Raiders. Then I'd be more comfortable. Noone knows business like Al Davis.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:31 PM
parabola
Global Moderator
BOlieve dat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meganuck View Post
Noone knows business like Al Davis.
I'm not sure Al Davis knows much of anything anymore.

08-04-2009, 01:54 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
I'm not sure Al Davis knows much of anything anymore.
Upon what are you basing that?

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:57 PM
pitseleh

Gillis looked like he never slept as GM. I can't imagine what he'll be like with President duties too.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:58 PM
EpochLink
Canucks and Jets fan

Mike Gillis is the truth.

EpochLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:00 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squidz View Post

Quote:
Leiweke has lot of pro sports management experience.
Tod Leiweke (born January 12, 1960, in St. Louis, Missouri) is an American sports executive. He is currently the Chief Executive Officer of the Seattle Seahawks National Football League team,and the Seattle Sounders FC, Major League Soccer team, both owned by Paul Allen; Leiweke also is the CEO of Vulcan Sports and Entertainment (VSE), a management company also owned by Allen which oversees Allen's sports-related properties.[1]

Leiweke joined the Seahawks in 2003. In 2005, he was instrumental in the firing of former Seahawks (and Blazers) president Bob Whitsitt;[2] the next year, the team advanced to Super Bowl XL, losing to the Pittsburgh Steelers.

In 2007, he became acting president of the Trail Blazers, replacing Steve Patterson. Vulcan Sports and Entertainment was created at that time.[3] Leiweke served as acting president until June 20 of that year, when the team named Larry Miller to be its president.

Prior to his employment with Paul Allen, Leiweke has served as president of the Minnesota Wild, was the first executive director of The First Tee and has held executive positions with the PGA Tour, the Vancouver Canucks, and the Golden State Warriors.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tod_Leiweke

Also:
http://www.nba.com/blazers/news/TOD_...3195-1218.html

Old
08-04-2009, 02:01 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FruityPants3 View Post
Seems like kind of a temporary measure - they don't have an immediate replacement for Zimmerman, so they gave his duties to de Bonis, and his title to Gillis, and brought back Leiweke to advise them both.

As for Zimmerman, I don't think they recruited a Nike executive just to give him a shiny title. But his marketing ideas clearly sucked.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:10 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
Seems like kind of a temporary measure - they don't have an immediate replacement for Zimmerman, so they gave his duties to de Bonis, and his title to Gillis, and brought back Leiweke to advise them both.

As for Zimmerman, I don't think they recruited a Nike executive just to give him a shiny title. But his marketing ideas clearly sucked.
I still think you could see Dave Cobb rejoining the team as President after his stint with Vanoc. Perhaps leave Gillis as President of the team and appoint Cobb as COO of the Canucks with Cobb becoming CEO and President of Canucks Sports and Entertainment.

BTW Zimmerman played three seasons of NCAA Div I at the University of Vermont. It is not as if he was a complete neophyte about hockey. And he ran Nike's hockey division.
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p....php?pid=20882

Old
08-04-2009, 02:14 PM
Alan Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
I still think you could see Dave Cobb rejoining the team as President after his stint with Vanoc.
Yes, that does seem like a natural fit, doesn't it?

Alan Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:20 PM
Ernie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitseleh View Post
Gillis looked like he never slept as GM. I can't imagine what he'll be like with President duties too.
I dunno, he looked pretty strung out right from the bat.

Maybe he has a little meth problem.

Ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:31 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
Yes, that does seem like a natural fit, doesn't it?
It does to me. I have known Dave Cobb a long time going back to his days with KPMG before he joined the Canucks. He is one of the truly bright and innovative financial minds I have ever met.

Old
08-04-2009, 02:43 PM
Free Kassian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
It does to me. I have known Dave Cobb a long time going back to his days with KPMG before he joined the Canucks. He is one of the truly bright and innovative financial minds I have ever met.
I always liked Cobb. He'd be a good fit for the job when the Olympics are over.

Free Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 03:19 PM
hockeyfan125
HFB Partner

It was a huge loss when he left for Vanoc, that is for sure.

From a 2004 Gary Mason article:

Quote:
The person credited with many of the moves responsible for the financial turnaround of the Vancouver Canucks is getting set to leave the organization.

It's expected to be announced Tuesday that Dave Cobb -- chief operating officer of Orca Bay -- is taking a major position with the 2010 Olympic Organizing Committee. That job is believed to be second-in-command to Games president John Furlong.

As of Friday, there were only a few minor housekeeping matters left for Cobb to deal with before officially signing on with the 2010 group. He was not available for comment.

As word began to leak out around GM Place Friday there was universal and genuine sadness over the news. After the departure of Brian Burke, Cobb was widely regarded as the No. 1 person in the organization and the one being looked upon to keep the franchise moving ahead.

Cobb's departure leaves Canucks owner John McCaw, and his right-hand-man Stan McCammon, with a major hole to fill. Beyond that, ownership also has to deal with the plummeting morale of staff depressed over recent moves.

It's believed McCammon offered Cobb the title of team president in a bid to stop him from leaving. (Burke was president but when he was fired McCammon decided not to give the title to either Cobb or new GM Dave Nonis). The fact Cobb turned down the job would appear to demonstrate not only how keen he is to accept his new position but also how anxious he is to leave an organization showing signs of cracks after a string of successful seasons in which box office records were broken and millions of dollars in profits were generated.

Now the Canucks have a first-time general manager in Dave Nonis and no clear and obvious successor to Cobb, who was responsible for many of the measures that led to the team's remarkable turnaround. Among those is the Canucks lottery, which Cobb campaigned for and helped negotiate with the provincial government.

In the last few years, Cobb became a key figure in the business community, forging ties with many corporations which, in turn, put their financial support behind the team like never before. Cobb also negotiated lucrative network television and pay-per-view deals that also generated oodles of cash for the team.

It's unclear what role, if any, Stan McCammon may have played in Cobb's decision to leave. Cobb is not the type to say a bad word about anyone. McCammon, however, is so unpopular within the organization it's hard to imagine him not rubbing his COO the wrong way at some point. After all, Cobb was fond of saying he had his dream job and couldn't imagine doing anything else.

One of Cobb's favourite pictures is one of his father, Joe, atop the Zamboni at the Pacific Coliseum. Joe cleaned the ice at the old Forum when the Canucks played in the Western Hockey League.

Dave Cobb took immense pride in the fact that a Zamboni driver's son could rise to a position of such prominence within the ranks of the city's beloved hockey team.

You'd have to think, then, it would take a major force to drive him away from job he always dreamed of having.

While Cobb was responsible for financial matters, his most important role the last several years may have been as peacemaker. It was Cobb, you see, who often stood between the warring Brian Burke and Stan McCammon. Always cool and calm, it was Cobb who usually calmed the pair down and in some cases prevented them from saying or doing things they likely would have regretted later.

Cobb's sudden leave-taking is a huge blow to the organization, especially coming so soon after Brian Burke's ugly firing. As high-profile exits go, the exodus of Cobb and Burke rank up there in significance with Pat Quinn's and Tod Leiweke's departures years earlier.

Interestingly, neither Quinn nor Leiweke got along with Stan McCammon either.

hockeyfan125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 03:20 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

vCash: 833
Hmm, I'm looking forward to seeing what MG's thoughts are on picking a logo that doesn't suck, and actually sticking with it, for a long time, hopefully.

PRNuck is offline   Reply With Quote