HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Stajan - what do you expect for 2009/2010?

Old
08-04-2009, 11:49 AM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

vCash: 50
12-15 goals, 30 assists type of regular season

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTL View Post
Traded if Bozak shows a pulse.
Agreed

TheLeastOfTheBunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:04 PM
Brozak
i scoreded a goal

vCash: 500
Ahhh Matt Stajan, the poor man's Marc Savard. Teeeehee!

He'll be certainly packaged in a trade by this season's deadline. I'm really going to miss this guy though.

Brozak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:36 PM
Kagunoshi

i expect about 50 opoints 15- 18 goals

Kagunoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:43 PM
bobermay

It still seems like no one can answer my question... :

Of couse I know why though... Matt Stajan is a 2nd line centerman, but too many Leaf fans like using him as their punching bag.

If Stajan "rellied" on Antropov and Ponikarovsky to post 47% of his points. And it was the line he played with the most, and for about half the season.... He must have posted 53% of his points the other half of the season with different linemates!!!

This tells us that Stajan can produce 2nd line numbers, given 2nd line minutes, and can adapt to his wingers.

Sure, he doesn't show flashes of Brilliance, and he's not outstanding at any particular area.... but HE IS a solid 2nd line centerman.

bobermay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:29 PM
soupisgoodfood

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post

Of couse I know why though... Matt Stajan is a 2nd line centerman, but too many Leaf fans like using him as their punching bag.

If Stajan "rellied" on Antropov and Ponikarovsky to post 47% of his points. And it was the line he played with the most, and for about half the season.... He must have posted 53% of his points the other half of the season with different linemates!!!

This tells us that Stajan can produce 2nd line numbers, given 2nd line minutes, and can adapt to his wingers.

Sure, he doesn't show flashes of Brilliance, and he's not outstanding at any particular area.... but HE IS a solid 2nd line centerman.

I'd also like to point out, and correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I remember, the period of time Stajan was out with his eye injury Nik and Poni went on slumps. When he came back, and the chemistry was reunited, they started producing again. I'm not saying he was the catalyst to that line, just that they all depended on each other as one group.

And you're right, the 47% arguement is flawed and, if anything, argues the opposite of it's purpose.

soupisgoodfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:28 PM
noobman

Assuming that Tlusty can and will play the wing, I'd expect Stajan to start the season as our 2nd line centre behind Mikhail Grabovski.

If Bozak shows some offensive upside he could nudge Stajan down to the 3rd line centre role, which could bump Stajan out of the lineup altogether. Stajan has proven that he's ineffective as a 3rd liner.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:40 PM
bobermay

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Assuming that Tlusty can and will play the wing, I'd expect Stajan to start the season as our 2nd line centre behind Mikhail Grabovski.

If Bozak shows some offensive upside he could nudge Stajan down to the 3rd line centre role, which could bump Stajan out of the lineup altogether. Stajan has proven that he's ineffective as a 3rd liner.
That is horse crap.

Seriosly, where are you getting this from.

Stajan Produced 47% of his points playing with Antropov and Ponikarovsky.

After this line got split up, (Around half way through the season), Stajan was bumped to the 3rd line (Behind Moore and sometimes Mitchell), where he produced half his points. Stajan is also underrated defencively, and is a solid 3rd line centerman imo.

Old
08-05-2009, 10:19 AM
BooRadley

I expect him to accumulate slightly less in terms of points then he did last year. I don't expect him to be getting them while playing for the Maple Leafs. Stajan's going to be one going in to camp thinking he's "entitled" to one of the top 2 centre positions and getting a reality check shortly before the season.

BooRadley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 10:21 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooRadley View Post
I expect him to accumulate slightly less in terms of points then he did last year. I don't expect him to be getting them while playing for the Maple Leafs. Stajan's going to be one going in to camp thinking he's "entitled" to one of the top 2 centre positions and getting a reality check shortly before the season.
nothing I have ever heard him say or read about him would suggest this. Just the opposite in fact.

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 10:37 AM
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobermay View Post

It's a strangely written article that doesn't really show the whole picture. A couple key numbers were, 40% of his points were scored with both Antropov and Poni on the ice. Also,

Quote:
Over the 16 game stretch from October 21st, against the Anaheim Ducks, to November 25th against the Atlanta Thrashers, Stajan produced 6 goals and 14 assists for 20 points,
So about 37% of his points came in a 16 game stretch.

Quote:
Well unfortunately, his top producing line mates were far below the results returned by Antropov and Ponikarovsky. He assisted on 3 Stempniak markers, 2 Mayers goals, 2 Mitchell goals, and 2 Kulemin goals. But then he also assisted on 7 goals scored by Devereaux, Hamilton, and Kubina, all of whom wonít be back next season. As far as players who assisted on Stajanís goals go, Kaberle chipped in 3 times, Stempniak had 3 helpers, and Hagman and Schenn each added a couple.
This does seem to show he produced with more than Antro and Poni, but it never really goes into how many games he played with Antro and Poni.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:01 AM
EazyB97

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
It's a strangely written article that doesn't really show the whole picture. A couple key numbers were, 40% of his points were scored with both Antropov and Poni on the ice.
For that to mean anything, you'd have to state how much time during the season he spent with them on his line. From a rough estimate (shifts) it works out to be roughly 39% of the season was spent with Antro/Poni.

Numbers from here
http://www.dobberhockey.com/frozenpool_linecombo.php

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynrehab View Post
So about 37% of his points came in a 16 game stretch.
Not unusual for us. Blake 36.5% in a similar 16 game stretch. Grabovski was similar, scoring 27% of his points in a 7 game stretch (shorter period, much higher percentage of his points though).

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Krylian

Stajan isn't good enough to be a Top 6 forward on a good team.

Also, he's not enough of a "lunchpail guy" to be a bottom 6 forward on Burke's team.

Which means, Stajan will me moved in favour of a more talented Top 6 player. When this will happen I don't know.....but it's coming.

Krylian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Kessel>Seguin +
Not Even A Big Fan!!

That statement is bull. Stajan is the punching bag of Toronto fans, I get that but to say he is an ineffective third line player is bull. If you watched any games you would see he is one of our top defensive minded fowards. He thinks the game well and always seems to be on the defensive side of the puck or in the right position in our offensive zone.

Barring him getting greaty and wanting a big raise next season i see Stajan as our third line center for years to come once Burke has solidified his top 6 fowards ( where clearly Stajan is not a second line center on a great team) Remember Burke has Palhsson as his third line center in Anameim and LOVED him. he even said once he should win the selke but gets no coverage out in anameim.

Burke does not need everyone to be 6'4 and run through walls. Your third line center should be a guy who is in the right position in the defensive end and thinks the game and reacts well. He does not need to put up 50 points or run over Chara or Pronger every shift, that is why Burke had Moen on the wing of Palhsson. Third line centers are defensivly reliable and can chip in the odd goal which Stajan has proven he can do

Leafs fans could be in for a suprise when Stajan anchors this teams third line when me make a cup run. But we will never remember threads like this when people say he sucks and trade him for a second round pick

Quote:

Kessel>Seguin + is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 11:41 AM
Chandrashekhar Limit
ORANJE 4 LYFE

Quote:

If Bozak shows some offensive upside he could nudge Stajan down to the 3rd line centre role, which could bump Stajan out of the lineup altogether. Stajan has proven that he's ineffective as a 3rd liner on Burke's team.
Fixed.

I think he will score around 10 goals and 35 assits, for a combined 45 points, if he sticks around all season. If he gets traded, i think he will see sort of the "Dom Moore" effect, where his production drops quite a bit with a new team cuz of reduced icetime.

Chandrashekhar Limit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 12:57 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheli View Post
Over the course of the full season though, it would become apparent that much of Stajanís offense depended upon Antropov and Ponikarovsky. He played 2241 shifts with the towering wingers, easily seeing more ice time with those two than any other players, and his production followed. Of his 55 points in total, 23 were scored with the full trio on the ice, while more specifically Antropov or Ponikarovsky (or both) assisted on 7 of his 15 goals, and scored 19 of the 40 goals he assisted on. That means one or the other of the big ex-Soviets was involved on 26 of the 55 points he produced, or 47% of his offence. The next closest pairing would be Boyd Devereaux and Jeff Hamilton, who produced 6 points along with Stajan.
that's a pretty faulty analysis by those boys at that site.

A) Stajan was still producing at a 50+ point rate over the last couple of months even with the likes of Stempniak and Hamilton as his linemates.

B) When Stajan was injured in december, when he came back he was for some reason moved onto a different line, and all 3 of them suffered big drops in production - Poni scored only 4 points in the 13 games after Stajan's injury, for example.

zeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 12:58 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Stajan was the 30th highest scoring centre in the league last year, BTW.

Old
08-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Ryan52

about 15 goals, 30 assists

Ryan52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 02:25 PM
samwitch

17 goals, 36 assists

samwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 02:34 PM
TheKingSlayer
He was in the way!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeke View Post
Stajan was the 30th highest scoring centre in the league last year, BTW.
Actually he was 34th as per tsn's stats. But point well taken, when you can beat the likes of Brad Richards and Mike Modano (granted he played more games than Richards and is much younger than Modano) he is still a valuable commodity. Not to mention the fact he was 40th in the NHL in faceoff percentages ahead of Crosby, Lecavalier, Getzlav and Savard. He is valuable on any team because he can play the PK, the PP, win big faceoffs and put up points. He would have been many teams #2 center last year (Ducks, Hurricanes, Isles, Wild, Avs) granted a lot of those teams are not very good down the middle, it just shows that there is still a need for centerman like Stajan in the NHL and most teams would pay well to acquire him. A 2nd round pick would have been a decent return for him last year, and if he plays well like that again this year than a larger return is not out of the question.

TheKingSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 02:44 PM
Earth Rocker

12 goals, 38 assists.

Earth Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 03:11 PM
LTL

We'll see how Stajan performs on his next team this year or next.

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 03:25 PM
zeke
#TeamReimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundin is my hero View Post
Actually he was 34th as per tsn's stats. But point well taken, .
but they list a bunch of wingers as centers, like Hudler and Kessel and Antropov.

Old
08-07-2009, 07:14 AM
ukleafsfan

So basically Stajan only scored goals when other people were on the ice and only got assists when other people he was on the ice with scored goals ! lol

Makes sense that the guys he played most shifts with were on the ice with him when be put numbers up, yes he did rely upon them the same as any player relies upon their linemates to help them out !

ukleafsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 07:52 AM
paulster2626
Shape up or ship out

vCash: 400
I think Stajan is going to surprise you haters out there. From what I've seen, he's gotten better every year - this will be no different. Stajan is a very good defensive-forward, that still has the ability to put up points. To say that he relied on Nik and Poni, and will not be able to produce without them around is foolish. Stajan has been a decent player all along, no matter who has been on the ice with him.

Seriously - are Antropov and Ponikarovski really so amazing that unless Stajan is playing with them, he will suck? I mean, I like those guys too, but come on!!

paulster2626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 08:01 AM
bobermay

The More I think about it, The more I realize that Matt Stajan should get traded.

But he IS better than what most of you give him credit for.

Maybe Package Stajan with White for a 1st and 4th 2010?