HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Zherdev is now a UFA. Should Lombardi Go After Him?

Old
08-04-2009, 12:42 PM
tantrum4*

vCash: 500
Zherdev is now a UFA. Should Lombardi Go After Him?

Since the Kings are bound to be one of the teams mentioned to go after Zherdev now that the Rangers walked away from the $3.9 million settlement awarded by the arbitrator, I thought I would see what everyoone thinks about Zherdev and weather or not he would be a good fit for the Kings. I know his heart and passion have been questioned before, but so have Frolov's and everyone still seems to love him around here. Zherdev is still young and has tons of skill, but would he fit?

I say yes.

tantrum4* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:43 PM
SFKingshomer

No! He's not worth the trouble and we need a defenseman more than another forward.

SFKingshomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:44 PM
wabwat

Send a message via AIM to wabwat
absolutely not.

wabwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Johnny Utah

He will either end up in Toronto or the KHL.

At first I thought the Rags killed Columbus in that trade but Tyutin for Zherdev doesn't look bad anymore...

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:59 PM
Defgarden

If the Rangers of all teams are passing up that amount for him, that's a red flag. But, seriously, no. Seems like way too much of a headache.

Defgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:09 PM
JBernierFan
Drink up!

Nope. We need a winning, competitive attitude around here. Our team needs to work hard every night if they want to see playoff hockey. Now that he has been rewarded $3.9 million a year (which is insane), that is what he'll want on the open market. I have a feeling he'll probably end up in the KHL. What team is desperate enough to pay that? The Leafs maybe? Who knows, but he'll only show up for half of the year.

JBernierFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:19 PM
Omni Owl

No way.

Omni Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:24 PM
KingKopi

pass. next thread please

KingKopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:28 PM
jimmy1100

I don't know. A three-time 20+ goal scorer that's 24 years old? That's tough to avoid entirely. I think DL should at least call him, talk to him, see what he's looking for, etc.

I would say that (not that it's right or that I agree with it) signing Zherdev would greatly strenghten DL's negotiating position with Frolov.

Say we sign Zherdev for 1 year - then we at least have a backup option if we can't resign Frolov. If we do re-sign Frolov, let Zherdev walk. If not, we at least have the inside track at re-signing Zherdev as his long-term replacement.

All that being said, I choose Frolov over Zherdev 100% of the time.

jimmy1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:46 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
At first I thought the Rags killed Columbus in that trade but Tyutin for Zherdev doesn't look bad anymore...
Being that Columbus was dead last in offence in 2007-08, I figured that was a bit of a red flag with Zherdev. But I can't fault the Rangers for taking a chance with that deal either.

Still an intriguing talent, but we'll see which teams are willing to allocate cap space for the guy.

Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:47 PM
LaLaLand

YES, Z can dangle in a phonebooth, perfect age, chemistry with Frolov, cheap.. getttem Dean

Frolov-Kopy-Zherdev
Smyth-Stoll-Williams
Brown-Zeus-Simmonds

LaLaLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:48 PM
Youngblood93

I am all in on Zherdev. Frolov would be a great mentor to him and I think he'd light it up in LA.

Youngblood93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:50 PM
Youngblood93

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkoalMan11 View Post
YES, Z can dangle in a phonebooth, perfect age, chemistry with Frolov, cheap.. getttem Dean

Frolov-Kopy-Zherdev
Smyth-Stoll-Williams
Brown-Zeus-Simmonds
I love the lines.

Youngblood93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:51 PM
Tatsdzyuk
wet fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivehole93 View Post
I am all in on Zherdev. Frolov would be a great mentor to him and I think he'd light it up in LA.
Exact.

Tatsdzyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:52 PM
tantrum4*

I understand why some of you are saying you don't want him because of a bad attitude and we need players that will compete every night, but then someone please explain why you are all so against getting rid of Frolov? Three coaches and two GM's have all said that EXACT thing about Frolov, that he doesn't work hard every night, and I can't see all of them being wrong. Is it just because he's a current player on the Kings that you guys want to give him a free pass for dogging it every so often, but aren't willing to take a chance on a new potential player coming to the team who is 2 years younger, has the exact same attitude and has put up close to the same numbers the last two years??

I don't get it.....

Old
08-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Randart

Oh Really?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantrum4 View Post
I understand why some of you are saying you don't want him because of a bad attitude and we need players that will compete every night, but then someone please explain why you are all so against getting rid of Frolov? Three coaches and two GM's have all said that EXACT thing about Frolov, that he doesn't work hard every night, and I can't see all of them being wrong. Is it just because he's a current player on the Kings that you guys want to give him a free pass for dogging it every so often, but aren't willing to take a chance on a new potential player coming to the team who is 2 years younger, has the exact same attitude and has put up close to the same numbers the last two years??

I don't get it.....
After watching Fro for his career... and seeing our coaches and the injuries to our team and Fro and how he plays you still don't get it??????? WOW! I will enlighten you best I can but I have little hope you will see this light! Fro can dominate a game with his puck control playing in all situations first line talent! But I think he gets banged up and tends to try to play through it in his style he has to back off a bit. There fore the coaches are like hey what the heck is going on your not controlling the game get on the fourth line then, for a while till your attitude changes!

That is my take of what has gone on his last couple years especially as he was our best player, so the most was expected from him. I tell you now if he is let go or traded this team will miss him like you won't believe! He is not the most underrated player in the NHL for nothing son! And as much as I wanted Zherdev he is not close to being Fro. I personally would like to pick up Zherdev but do I think DL and TM would want him? Ahhh I doubt that and I will be amazed if he is a King!

I really liked what you guys had to say here the positives an negatives both about Zherdev, I think he would have been a nice compliment to Gabby, the Rags may be blowing it not resigning him! I wonder if the Blue Jackets might not even want him back? Will be interesting to see where he lands!

Last edited by Randart: 08-04-2009 at 02:36 PM.
Randart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:21 PM
tantrum4*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randart View Post
After watching Fro for his career... and seeing our coaches and the injuries to our team and Fro and how he plays you still don't get it??????? WOW! I will enlighten you best I can but I have little hope you will see this light! Fro can dominate a game with his puck control playing in all situations first line talent! But I think he gets banged up and tends to try to play through it in his style he has to back off a bit. There fore the coaches are like hey what the heck is going on your not controlling the game get on the fourth line then, for a while till your attitude changes!

That is my take of what has gone on his last couple years especially as he was our best player, so the most was expected from him. I tell you now if he is let go or traded this team will miss him like you won't believe! He is not the most underrated player in the NHL for nothing son! And as much as I wanted Zherdev he is not close to being Fro. I personally would like to pick up Zherdev but do I think DL and TM would want him? Ahhh I doubt that and I will be amazed if he is a King!

I really liked what you guys had to say here the positives an negatives both about Zherdev, I think he would have been a nice compliment to Gabby the Rags may be blowing it not resigning him! I wonder is the Blue Jackets might not even want him back? Will be interesting to see where he lands!

Hold on dude. I love Frolov and never once said I wanted to get rid of him. But I'm also in favour of giving Zherdev a chance. My question was why some people don't think Zherdev, even with a so-called bad attitude like Frolov, can come to LA and produce and put up points and be a huge part of our offense.
When someone's argument for not wanting Zherdev is because they say he doesn't work hard every night yet they would lose it if we got rid of Frolov, it doesn't make sense to me.
Just because us as fans see our own players a certain way, doesn't always mean we're right. If a lot of people around the league think Frolov doesn't quite have it still after 6 years in the league, maybe they're on to something. Like Montreal fans for example. A lot of them thought Frolov wasn't worth one Kostitsyn brother let alone two and a prospect, and we thought the total opposite way...

Old
08-04-2009, 02:30 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Negative.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:31 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivehole93 View Post
He wouldn't listen to Fedorov in Columbus. What makes you think he would listen to Frolov?

Do. Not. Want.

KINGS17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:42 PM
Pucknut50

Zherdev would be a perfect fit in Detroit. Look out because there he's going to get his 30 goals.

Pucknut50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Johnny Utah

People questions Frolov's ability to bring it every night and his off ice training, they say Zherdev doesn't even like North America and only cares about his stats.

Johnny Utah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:51 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkoalMan11 View Post

Frolov-Kopy-Zherdev
Smyth-Stoll-Williams
Brown-Zeus-Simmonds
I got to admit, that is pretty rad, Brown would be great on the 3rd, and that would help elevate Simmonds to. Simmonds should become a Brown 2.0. Killer 3 lines. Nobody would want to play against the 3rd line.

saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 03:00 PM
saintsnsoldiers
The Nolanator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KINGS17 View Post
He wouldn't listen to Fedorov in Columbus. What makes you think he would listen to Frolov?

Do. Not. Want.
I think I could handle a little attitude if it could get us scoring, We need to score, not that your stating it, but this hole super duper chemistry crap is wearing thin, Fro and Kopi are better at 2 way I don't think there is anything overly wrong with a floater if he is scoring. The kid has skills that cant be denied. I would take a chance at a potential break out year of 30 goals.

Last edited by saintsnsoldiers: 08-04-2009 at 03:45 PM.
saintsnsoldiers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 03:01 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsnsoldiers View Post
I think I could handle a little attitude if it could get us scoring, We need to score, not that your stating it, but this hole super duper chemistry crap is wearing thing, Fro and Kopi are better at 2 way I don't think there is anything overly wrong with a floater if he is scoring. The kid has skills that cant be denied. I would take a chance at a potential break out year of 30 goals.
Avery brought a little attitude and got us scoring. Would you want to bring him back?

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 03:03 PM
Butch 19
King me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
People questions Frolov's ability to bring it every night and his off ice training, they say Zherdev doesn't even like North America and only cares about his stats.
Hey, there are parts of North America that I don't like and the only stat I care about is W-L. And the Kings are STILL in dire need to improve on W-L.

A 24 yr old, consistent 20+ goal scorer? at $3.9m, or maybe a bit more? What's not to like?

I really don't see a down side to going for Zherdev. I would be much more excited about Zherdev being on this team than Smyth.

And Frolov? the top scorer on the team? I don't question anything about him.

Butch 19 is offline   Reply With Quote