HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Montreal - Philadelphia

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-04-2009, 03:23 PM
  #126
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
First off, I think that Biron was brought into the discussion because YOU said that the Flyers would be instant cup favorites with Price in net but have no chance with Emery. If we couldn't get past the 1st rnd with Biron in net last year and he was CLEARLY better than Price last year then what makes you believe they'd be better off with Price?
Hold on a second. I never said the Flyers would be instant cup fav's with Price. I think they'd have a better chance with Price, but at this stage, there are obviously better options out there than Price if you want a cup run. The Flyers have a really good team and even with Emery are going to be a threat this season. IMO they'd be a bigger threat with Price.

Quote:
This isn't really true. Price was better than Emery THE FIRST YEAR HE PLAYED, until the playoffs and that's it. After that, looking at how they actually played, Emery was better than Price. Look at how Price played last year and I think you'd be ard pressed to convince ANYONE that year he was better than Emery the year he took the Sens to the finals. Do I think that Price is the better goalie, certainly. However, he CLEARLY didn't play like it last year.
Price wasn't in the NHL when Emery was actually a good NHL goalie and made it to the finals, so I don't know what you're getting at. I said that since Price broke into the NHL, he's been better. Geez, Emery was so bad, he was bought out and didn't even get an NHL offer. Even this summer, the offers were very few.

Quote:
Based upon Price's play last season it may be debatable whether or not he'll be better than Emery NEXT SEASON. If Enery bounces back then yeah, it will most certainly be true (unless Emery plays unreal). If Price plays like he did last year (and yes there is a very real chance of that happening) then Emery has a VERY GOOD chance of being the better of the 2 goalies and not just in stats but in actually how they play on the ice.
I guess that's why they play the games. Hell, going back to the original proposal, if Pleks returns to 2007-8 form he might actually be better than Giroux this season. But let's be realistic here. Alot of things could happen, but the way things stand, the Flyers will win despite Emery, not because of him.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 03:24 PM
  #127
HFboarder*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Washington DC
Country: United States
Posts: 619
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairGM View Post
Giroux for Price would be close for me, I'm not sure I would make the trade.
I think you forgot

HFboarder* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 04:00 PM
  #128
habsfans333*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Mali
Posts: 1,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSeany View Post
Although I doubt Philadelphia would move VanRiemsdyk... how about:
No
How about Price is a good young goaltender in the NHL.

I don't see any 21 years old goaler in the NHL with 47 wins with ,913 save% so far in his career.


Price > JVR and Giroux

Value wise.

habsfans333* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 04:04 PM
  #129
habsfans333*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Mali
Posts: 1,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlocky View Post
First off, I think that Biron was brought into the discussion because YOU said that the Flyers would be instant cup favorites with Price in net but have no chance with Emery. If we couldn't get past the 1st rnd with Biron in net last year and he was CLEARLY better than Price last year then what makes you believe they'd be better off with Price?



This isn't really true. Price was better than Emery THE FIRST YEAR HE PLAYED, until the playoffs and that's it. After that, looking at how they actually played, Emery was better than Price. Look at how Price played last year and I think you'd be ard pressed to convince ANYONE that year he was better than Emery the year he took the Sens to the finals. Do I think that Price is the better goalie, certainly. However, he CLEARLY didn't play like it last year.



Based upon Price's play last season it may be debatable whether or not he'll be better than Emery NEXT SEASON. If Enery bounces back then yeah, it will most certainly be true (unless Emery plays unreal). If Price plays like he did last year (and yes there is a very real chance of that happening) then Emery has a VERY GOOD chance of being the better of the 2 goalies and not just in stats but in actually how they play on the ice.
You always seems to ignore the fact that Price was injured last season and his game wasn't the same after.

In his first 25 games of the season, he was among the top goalers of the league. Like it or not, its a fact.

Price last season first half was better than Emery ever was.

Remove your orange glasses for a sec...Emery isn't a better goaltender than Carey Price.

You'll find out by yourself soon enough.

habsfans333* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 04:08 PM
  #130
Maxpac
Registered User
 
Maxpac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: hockey city
Posts: 13,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
I wouldn't. There is no guarantee he would be better than Emery (or Biron, for that matter) in the next year or two, so we get what out of the deal? A younger goalie that probably won't get us a Cup and we lose our best forward under 24? No thanks.
2 Giroux's wouldn't be enough for Price, it's not a bad stretch in a terrible season at 21 years old that's going to drastically change his trade value.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 04:19 PM
  #131
mercury
Registered User
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: South Philly/SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 11,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
I guess that's why they play the games. Hell, going back to the original proposal, if Pleks returns to 2007-8 form he might actually be better than Giroux this season. But let's be realistic here. Alot of things could happen, but the way things stand, the Flyers will win despite Emery, not because of him.
I'd take the Giroux of 2009 over the Plekanec of 2007 any day of the week, as well.

And there is no way to say the Flyers "will win despite Emery" with any certainty. "The way things stand" it cannot be determined. This is what you have to understand. There is no proof.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 04:21 PM
  #132
mercury
Registered User
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: South Philly/SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 11,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
2 Giroux's wouldn't be enough for Price, it's not a bad stretch in a terrible season at 21 years old that's going to drastically change his trade value.

That's fine, but there is only one Claude Giroux, and he is not being dealt for Price. And I say, "Thank God."

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 04:24 PM
  #133
mercury
Registered User
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: South Philly/SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 11,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfans333 View Post
How about Price is a good young goaltender in the NHL.

I don't see any 21 years old goaler in the NHL with 47 wins with ,913 save% so far in his career.


Price > JVR and Giroux

Value wise.

I don't see any 21-year-old goaltender with .895 SV% and 3.11 GAA in the playoffs, either. I am sure he will get better, but I certainly wouldn't give up Giroux for him. Maybe JVR.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 04:25 PM
  #134
mercury
Registered User
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: South Philly/SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 11,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfans333 View Post
You always seems to ignore the fact that Price was injured last season and his game wasn't the same after.

In his first 25 games of the season, he was among the top goalers of the league. Like it or not, its a fact.

Price last season first half was better than Emery ever was.

Remove your orange glasses for a sec...Emery isn't a better goaltender than Carey Price.

You'll find out by yourself soon enough.

No one ever said Emery was better. Stop making up strawmen.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 04:46 PM
  #135
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
I'd take the Giroux of 2009 over the Plekanec of 2007 any day of the week, as well.
And there is no way to say the Giroux of 2009 will be better than Plekanec of 2007 with any certainty. "The way things stand" it cannot be determined. This is what you have to understand. There is no proof.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 05:00 PM
  #136
seanerixon
Registered User
 
seanerixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Collingswood, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 632
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
And there is no way to say the Giroux of 2009 will be better than Plekanec of 2007 with any certainty. "The way things stand" it cannot be determined. This is what you have to understand. There is no proof.
Nobody cares about 2007 anything...

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfans333 View Post
How about Price is a good young goaltender in the NHL.

I don't see any 21 years old goaler in the NHL with 47 wins with ,913 save% so far in his career.


Price > JVR and Giroux

Value wise.
Giroux > Price

Season & Playoff Performance wise.

James VanRiemsdyk > Price

Expectations wise.

I'm sorry, but stop asking for both of these young athletes.. Go for Carle, or Powe, or just take Randy Jones' contract for free if you're really desperate.

seanerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 05:20 PM
  #137
mercury
Registered User
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: South Philly/SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 11,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
And there is no way to say the Giroux of 2009 will be better than Plekanec of 2007 with any certainty. "The way things stand" it cannot be determined. This is what you have to understand. There is no proof.
I was referring to the Giroux of February to May 2009. He was better then than Plekanec was in 2007-08. He may not be this season, but he's been fantastic in his first half season.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 05:48 PM
  #138
Psycho Papa Joe
Porkchop Hoser
 
Psycho Papa Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Cesspool, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 23,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercury View Post
I was referring to the Giroux of February to May 2009. He was better then than Plekanec was in 2007-08. He may not be this season, but he's been fantastic in his first half season.


29 goals, 69 pts in 81 games > 9 goals, 27 pts in 42 games

Giroux is a really good young player and I agree he should be better than Plekanec, but as good as his rookie campaign was, we wasn't better than Plekanec in 07/08.

As for my comments about Emery. Sure there is a chance he resurrects his career. Sure he might play much better than I give him credit for. Sure he might be better than Price. Sure he might win the Flyers the cup with Conn Smythe level goaltending. But I'm going by the odds, and IMO he's the Flyers week link at this point and IMO the Flyers would be better with Price. Obviously it's just my opinion but I think most in the hockey world are probably thinking the same way. Personally if I had a team knocking on the door to the cup, I'd want better goaltending than what the Flyers currently have. But hey, the same people probably said the same thing about Osgood the last couple of years, so you never know. Emery certainly has the talent.

Psycho Papa Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 05:52 PM
  #139
seanerixon
Registered User
 
seanerixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Collingswood, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 632
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
Once again... who cares about who did what in 07 or their rookie season. Now, is what matters.

seanerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 06:07 PM
  #140
ArmchairGM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,312
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xSeany View Post
Once again... who cares about who did what in 07 or their rookie season. Now, is what matters.
And JVR has had a successful NHL season?

ArmchairGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 07:08 PM
  #141
LEIFey
Context Matters!
 
LEIFey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Country: United States
Posts: 7,266
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairGM View Post
And JVR has had a successful NHL season?
nope, he's a bust and we should just dump him for scraps. yep.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 07:21 PM
  #142
mercury
Registered User
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: South Philly/SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 11,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Papa Joe View Post
29 goals, 69 pts in 81 games > 9 goals, 27 pts in 42 games

Giroux is a really good young player and I agree he should be better than Plekanec, but as good as his rookie campaign was, we wasn't better than Plekanec in 07/08.
Oh, I disagree there. IMHO, Giroux had the bigger impact for his respective team at forward. You are free to disagree, and I don't want to take anything away from Plekanec's great season on a very good Habs team, but Giroux was otherworldly at points late in the season.


Quote:
As for my comments about Emery. Sure there is a chance he resurrects his career. Sure he might play much better than I give him credit for. Sure he might be better than Price. Sure he might win the Flyers the cup with Conn Smythe level goaltending. But I'm going by the odds, and IMO he's the Flyers week link at this point and IMO the Flyers would be better with Price. Obviously it's just my opinion but I think most in the hockey world are probably thinking the same way. Personally if I had a team knocking on the door to the cup, I'd want better goaltending than what the Flyers currently have. But hey, the same people probably said the same thing about Osgood the last couple of years, so you never know. Emery certainly has the talent.
I would agree with most of that, but these guys are young and the sample size is quite small. Emery has led a team to the Stanley Cup Finals and has been bought out. Price has been excellent during the season, but has gotten bounced summarily in two consecutive playoffs (2nd round and then 1st). No one can accurately speak with authority as to their fortunes for the new season. If they could, they wouldn't share their opinions here. They'd be laying money down in Vegas.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:39 PM
  #143
ShawnTHW
@ShawnTHW
 
ShawnTHW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 8,821
vCash: 500
So the Flyers take on salary which they dont have.....



Lose a Forsberg like bonafide promising young first line center in Giroux.......



Also lose a 2nd........



For a pretty good 3rd line guy........



And a player who scores on his own team AND gets absolutely dangled on by Franzen?......


Ill hedge my bets and pass on this one.

ShawnTHW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:52 PM
  #144
m00ks
Registered User
 
m00ks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 7,833
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PycckuuRocket10 View Post
So the Flyers take on salary which they dont have.....



Lose a Forsberg like bonafide promising young first line center in Giroux.......



Also lose a 2nd........



For a pretty good 3rd line guy........



And a player who scores on his own team AND gets absolutely dangled on by Franzen?......


Ill hedge my bets and pass on this one.
I haven't seen a lot of this kid, but is Giroux really the next Forsberg?

m00ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 11:12 PM
  #145
mercury
Registered User
 
mercury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: South Philly/SoCal
Country: United States
Posts: 11,013
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by m00ks View Post
I haven't seen a lot of this kid, but is Giroux really the next Forsberg?

In style, he resembles him. Will he end up that good? Most likely not. He is really, REALLY talented, though. His upside is a lot higher than Tomas Plekanec, that is for sure.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 11:13 PM
  #146
Alex28*
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 3,989
vCash: 500
Wow this is one of the worst proposals of all time.

Counterproposal -

Jones, Carle and a 3rd for Markov and Pacioretty. And this proposal is actually better than the original one.

Alex28* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 11:43 PM
  #147
Larry44
FlyersTankNation
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 4,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfans333 View Post
How about Price is a good young goaltender in the NHL.

I don't see any 21 years old goaler in the NHL with 47 wins with ,913 save% so far in his career.


Price > JVR and Giroux

Value wise.
Price is a sieve. Shoot glove hand. Or five hole. Or anywhere.... Don't want him thanks.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 12:08 AM
  #148
seanerixon
Registered User
 
seanerixon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Collingswood, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 632
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairGM View Post
And JVR has had a successful NHL season?
The future and time can only tell. I rather have what seems to be a promising prospect. I would rather avoid another Forsberg for Lindros trade if you don't mind.

seanerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 12:25 AM
  #149
habsfans333*
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country: Mali
Posts: 1,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex28 View Post
Wow this is one of the worst proposals of all time.

Counterproposal -

Jones, Carle and a 3rd for Markov and Pacioretty. And this proposal is actually better than the original one.
Really? Jesus Christ.

habsfans333* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:50 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.