HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Slang on ice/bench

Old
08-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Lososaurus

vCash: 500
Slang on ice/bench

I couldn't find the two words anywhere else, but the usage of 'time' and what sounds like 'wheel' or 'real' by teammates either on ice or from the bench. I found terminology for items( twig, biscuit, etc. ), but not for the two words I'm looking for.

Can someone enlighten me?

Lososaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 05:02 PM
noobman

Wheel means "go fast".

Time means "you have time"... it really just means that you have a lot of space to move around, and that you don't have to rush with the puck right away.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 05:13 PM
Lososaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobman View Post
Wheel means "go fast".

Time means "you have time"... it really just means that you have a lot of space to move around, and that you don't have to rush with the puck right away.
About what I expected, but I always thought 'time' meant one was running out of time( or at least that's the case with me ). Thanks

Old
08-03-2009, 07:01 PM
GuitarAwesome

First response was correct, when a player yells "Time", it is in two contexts:
a) you are chasing the puck into the corner, the player will yell time, so you can slow down, look behind you, see how the play is developping
b)you pick up the puck along the boards, and you have to protect it, so you can;t look up to see what's behind you, "time" will usually mean you can come off the half boards/corner.

Next, "wheel" is usually said by the goalie, or the defensive partner. In slang, yes, it means fast, but the typical connotation, is that the defenseman is curling around his own net, the goalie will yell "wheel", for him to speed up, and join the play(aka, there is no forechecker on him, or the forechcker went around the net the wrong way). This usually results in a 5 on 4 rush.

Hope that makes sense.

GuitarAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 07:49 PM
Lososaurus

Any other terms commonly shouted during a game( other than profanities )? I heard 'wheel' and 'time' most commonly.

Old
08-03-2009, 08:19 PM
hkyplayer03

Bender?

hkyplayer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 08:48 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkyplayer03 View Post
Bender?
Winner.

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 11:39 PM
eric71*

Reel means to reel it up the boards; to clear it

eric71* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 12:39 AM
Lososaurus

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkyplayer03 View Post
Bender?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
Winner.
har har.

Old
08-04-2009, 12:46 AM
Steelhead16

Wheel is a rotational play to move the puck in the opposite direction. A player may carry the puck from one corner to the other. If he is covered or being pressured and as he is moving toward his own point may yell "wheel" either to the winger or the defenseman on that side. He is asking the teammate to move back toward the corner so he can dump the puck back in the corner and they can keep the puck in the zone. Then the receiving player may take it behind the net and pass out front. Or if there is no pass to make he may head up the boards and do the same play on the other side. It's a play to maintain puck control along the boards unil there is a good pass to make out in front of the net or a shot from the point. Lesser skilled offensive players will use it to buy time until something opens up. More of a technique to play "keep away" than actually score.

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:09 AM
OilTownHero

does anyone ever hear burn the d?
Posted via Mobile Device

OilTownHero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 08:36 AM
Nbr-17

TOP 10 THINGS YOU WON'T HEAR ON THE PLAYERS BENCH
1. "Do these pants make me look fat?"
2. "I feel the love…..Do you feel the love?"
3. "Oooh, oooh, is that blood? I feel dizzy!"
4. "Wanna sit together on the bus home?"
5. "Coach, will you hand me a tissue?"
6. "Is anybody missing a tooth?"
7. "Is he gonna need stitches? Oops, my bad!"
8. "I really just wanted to be a figure skater."
9. "That won't leave a mark."
10. "Hey guys, are we going to do that thing after the game where we hold hands and spin?"

Nbr-17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 01:10 PM
noobman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbr-17 View Post
I've actually heard that one before

I was talking to my defensive partner on the bench in a summer youth hockey league and she said that she'd rather be a figure skater than a hockey player, and that this was her last season.

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 08:59 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lososaurus View Post
Any other terms commonly shouted during a game( other than profanities )? I heard 'wheel' and 'time' most commonly.
Wow there are so many ... I often yell "Hold" when I am on the penalty kill meaning hold onto the puck and kill time with it as I am in a position to help out the puck carrier.

"Drop" is another one which I call for when i trail behind the puck carrier who just crossed the offensive zone blueline. it means just leave it or drop pass it to me so I can shoot. This is a good one to use on the other team if you are backchecking, sometimes when you yell it he will drop it to you and turn the puck over. ... sometimes.

Another usually called by the goalie is "Hard!" or "hard around!" which means get the puck around from your side you are on HARD (because of forechecking pressure) around back into your own end behind the goalie to the other side of the rink via the long route.

Another one is yelling "Point!" meaning use the point men up by the blueline in the offensive zone. Mostly the guy calling for the puck will yell that because he sees a play or an open lane to either shoot or make a pass.

Sometimes you can mess with the other team by yelling that from the bench to the guy on the other team, sometimes he will play the puck back to an open point and actually clear the zone for you by mistake.

There are a bazillion more really but these came to mind as ones used more frequently.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:15 PM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nbr-17 View Post
TOP 10 THINGS YOU WON'T HEAR ON THE PLAYERS BENCH
1. "Do these pants make me look fat?"
2. "I feel the love…..Do you feel the love?"
3. "Oooh, oooh, is that blood? I feel dizzy!"
4. "Wanna sit together on the bus home?"
5. "Coach, will you hand me a tissue?"
6. "Is anybody missing a tooth?"
7. "Is he gonna need stitches? Oops, my bad!"
9. "That won't leave a mark."
10. "Hey guys, are we going to do that thing after the game where we hold hands and spin?"
this made my day

thank you

KopitarFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 10:09 PM
MikeC44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
There are a bazillion more really but these came to mind as ones used more frequently.
Another one would be "CHIP".
You'll likely hear it if you're a winger and you're breaking out of your own zone. Your Dman has just passed you the puck on the boards. Your center might yell "CHIP" which means all he wants you to do is chip it by the defenceman on the point, don't worry about making a tape-to-tape pass.

MikeC44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 11:58 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
I'm forked

vCash: 425
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
Wow there are so many ... I often yell "Hold" when I am on the penalty kill meaning hold onto the puck and kill time with it as I am in a position to help out the puck carrier.

"Drop" is another one which I call for when i trail behind the puck carrier who just crossed the offensive zone blueline. it means just leave it or drop pass it to me so I can shoot. This is a good one to use on the other team if you are backchecking, sometimes when you yell it he will drop it to you and turn the puck over. ... sometimes.

Another usually called by the goalie is "Hard!" or "hard around!" which means get the puck around from your side you are on HARD (because of forechecking pressure) around back into your own end behind the goalie to the other side of the rink via the long route.

Another one is yelling "Point!" meaning use the point men up by the blueline in the offensive zone. Mostly the guy calling for the puck will yell that because he sees a play or an open lane to either shoot or make a pass.

Sometimes you can mess with the other team by yelling that from the bench to the guy on the other team, sometimes he will play the puck back to an open point and actually clear the zone for you by mistake.

These are very common as well as the "No!" when you see someone is getting into traffic and needs to dish the puck and you don't want it to come towards you or it will get picked off.

Almost all of these are vocal aids to help someone that doesn't have vision to the pressure coming, or is busy doing something else and can't take a look.

"Slot!" is another one I use a lot as a winger gets the puck and is going to have the D on him quickly and needs to get rid of it and I'm open cutting down an unprotected slot (heading into the net mouth area).

"Behind"
- again the winger is getting pressure and needs to dish the puck quickly so I let him know to throw it behind the net.

Also guys on the bench will often help out with odd man rushes and yell out the number of guys you have going up the ice so you can plan to cut wide or look to pass/shoot first. "Two!, Three!" are the most common or "You've got help" if it looks like he might be playing it as a 1 on 1.

Communication is key - even at the most recreational levels of the game so using these terms can't hurt.

Ball pits are just toilets filled with brightly colored balls instead of water.
Richer's Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 12:29 PM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

the thing to remember is dont get played by the other team. what i mean is a guy on the other team can just as easily yell these at you can end up giving him the puck in your zone because he is yelling "BACK". i do it all the time. people get pissed

i dont yell things in the offensive zone too much. both teams can hear you, id rather just trust my teammate sees me then let the entire rink know what i want to do

Last edited by Gunnar Stahl 30: 08-06-2009 at 12:35 PM.
Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 12:33 PM
Kunitziwa

vCash: 200
Send a message via AIM to Kunitziwa
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeC44 View Post
Another one would be "CHIP".
You'll likely hear it if you're a winger and you're breaking out of your own zone. Your Dman has just passed you the puck on the boards. Your center might yell "CHIP" which means all he wants you to do is chip it by the defenceman on the point, don't worry about making a tape-to-tape pass.
Ive always used "Boards" in this situation.

Kunitziwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 05:25 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
These are very common as well as the "No!" when you see someone is getting into traffic and needs to dish the puck and you don't want it to come towards you or it will get picked off.

Almost all of these are vocal aids to help someone that doesn't have vision to the pressure coming, or is busy doing something else and can't take a look.

"Slot!" is another one I use a lot as a winger gets the puck and is going to have the D on him quickly and needs to get rid of it and I'm open cutting down an unprotected slot (heading into the net mouth area).

"Behind"
- again the winger is getting pressure and needs to dish the puck quickly so I let him know to throw it behind the net.

Also guys on the bench will often help out with odd man rushes and yell out the number of guys you have going up the ice so you can plan to cut wide or look to pass/shoot first. "Two!, Three!" are the most common or "You've got help" if it looks like he might be playing it as a 1 on 1.

Communication is key - even at the most recreational levels of the game so using these terms can't hurt.
I yell SLOT ... a lot!

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 09:17 PM
RangersAM99

snackkk wrapp

RangersAM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 09:14 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I usually hear "one hard" or similar when there's a forechecker bearing down hard on the defenseman with his back to the player (going toward the boards).

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 12:56 AM
FootKnight
This ****ing team

Things I usually shout during games:
Time! - You've got plenty of time, no one on you. Take it slow and handle the puck.
One slow! - To defensemen. One forechecker coming slow, quite a bit behind the D-man.
One hard! - To defensemen. One forechecker coming on fast, move the puck quick.
Wheel! - To defensemen. Used when he is grabbing the puck is one corner and has room around the other side of the net, telling him to speed up and take it around our net.
Boards! - Throw the puck up the nearest side boards or the puck is on the boards.
Feet! - Puck is in your feet.
Middle/Slot! - I'm standing here open, PASS THE ****ING PUCK!
Point! - Dump to the point.
Clear it! - Just clear our zone.
Clear the zone! - Delayed off-sides, get out of the zone.
Clear! - Everyone is out of the zone, no more delayed off-sides.
Reverse! - Dump is backwards around the boards, used both in the offensive and defensive zone.
Drop! - Looking for a drop pass.

FootKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 02:41 PM
bmundus

"skates!" same as "feet!" puck is in your skates.

bmundus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2009, 03:22 PM
deanosaur

Please let the season start soon....

deanosaur is offline   Reply With Quote