HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Zherdev let Go

Old
08-04-2009, 08:22 PM
SenatorArmy

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to SenatorArmy Send a message via Yahoo to SenatorArmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASV 27 View Post
What's their roster going to look like after Gabby gets hurt?
Now hold on. it's way too early to go making that kind of assumption. That probably won't even happen until at least halfway into the preseason

SenatorArmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 08:28 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Your powerplay sucks because you don't have anyone capable of running it. Roszival is an offense defenseman who sucks at it. He'd be a great number 2 guy, same with Redden, but neither of them can run the pp. None of the forwards can run it either.

Gaborik might be able too. If not, then you'll need a defenseman who can.

The Rangers lack someone to run it. In honesty I thought Staal would be good at both ends, but it seems he'll just be good defensively and ok offensively. Though, he's still young and can easily change that.
It's in the same position it was when Jagr was running the powerplay unit 1, and Shanny unit 2. It isn't the issue of PP QB. Right now IMO Kotalik and Gaborik bring us middle of the pack. I never said they'd be top 10.

Staal has shown flashes of brilliance with the puck. I think he will be a 30 point defender in his prime. All of our pure offensive defenseman haven't played in an NHL game yet, in Del Zotto, Sanguinetti, and Gilroy.

Burlington Bomb 26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 08:35 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASV 27 View Post
What's their roster going to look like after Gabby gets hurt?
Before getting surgery to fix past injuries he has averaged 69 games per regular season and that I'd taking into account his contract holdout. Also with his surgery it is EXTREMELY rare for a re-injury of the muscle. He is also getting treatment from the best surgeon in the business. He has fixed current Ranger, Michal Rozsival, he has also done half the surgery on A-Rod(so he could play this year he decided to only have half done and rest done next off-season.) I don't see him playing less than 70 games per year. Also take note Rangers medical staff is #1 in the league. Minnesota was in the bottom in that catigory.

Old
08-04-2009, 09:00 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
Do your personnel scouting and not trade for Zherdev in the first place?
Sure, but that's a second guess. A scant few of us suggested it was a dubious deal for NYR in the first place...when 99% of HF was genuflexing the day the deal was made. But once you make a mistake, you correct it.

Quote:
The whole thing was a mistake. I also don't see how a team can let their leading scorer (who was only 25) go for nothing either.
If that leading scorer was horrifically inconsistent, provided nothing when he wasn't scoring, when his top six role has been filled by superior players (differentiate between "players" and simply stat collectors) this offseason, and he now has been rendered over-priced, it makes perfect sense.

Without context, sure, it makes no sense.

Personally - and I take no joy in stating this - I think Sather has done good work this offseason, and this move contributes to it.

Less is more. Addition by subtraction.

Just my opinion.

Last edited by Trottier: 08-05-2009 at 03:51 AM.
Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:04 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
I assumed the latter to be true. It just strikes me as odd, I would say. Then again, Zherdev seems to be a special case
He is.

With some (most) players, you need to go past the numbers.

That implies nothing about the guys' character; I leave personal assassination to the professional assassins.

It implies everything about the major holes in his on-ice game.

Clearly, youth, respectable personal offensive numbers and a load of offensive skill is enough for some HFers. Clearly it is not enough for some people in the game, including three guys (Hitchcock, Tortarella and Sather) who between them, have seven Cups. Despite their flaws, I'll trust their judgement of the player over that offered here.

Trottier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:05 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier View Post
Sure, but that's a second guess. a scant few of us suggested it was a dubious deal for NYR in the first place...when 99% of HF was genuflexing the day the deal was made. But once you make a mistake, you correct it.

If that leading scorer was horrifically inconsistent, provided nothing when he wasn't scoring, when his top six role has been filled by superior players (differentiate between "players" and simply stat collectors) this offseason, and he now has been rendered over-priced, it makes perfect sense.

But, hey. This is a filed day for NYR haters and those who perfect fanatasy league rosters.

Personally, I think Sather has done good work this offseason, and this move contributes to it.

Just my opinion.
Yes, I think Sather has handled this well.

But he laid his own bed.

I mean, I know the average HF'er (including myself at the time) were thinking that the Rangers won the deal, but we tend to ignore what the GM's think about - the human element.

Zherdev had known character issues going in.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:05 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavelBure96109 View Post
The Thrashers top6 is pathetic. Zherdev is better than any forward you have outside the obvious[Kovalchuk] If you dont think Zherdev could crack of all teams the Thrashers top6 then you really have no idea what you're talking about.
Talent isn't everything.

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:07 PM
Legionnaire
Kill! Jeff, Kill!!!

Quote:
Little? Maybe...in a couple year's. Kozlov? I dont think so.
Easily. One will be on team Russia, the other will not. Guess which one?

Legionnaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:12 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Say hello to the KHL's new scoring leader.
Morozov is going to have something to say about that.

He doesn't have much longer to evaluate his options, though. The KHL season opens in a little over a month.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:12 PM
Burlington Bomb 26
Louie Louie Oh oh

Quote:
Sure, but that's a second guess. a scant few of us suggested it was a dubious deal for NYR in the first place...when 99% of HF was genuflexing the day the deal was made. But once you make a mistake, you correct it.

Personally - and I take no joy in stating this - I think Sather has done good work this offseason, and this move contributes to it.

Just my opinion.
And people may say "asset mismanagement," but Cap space is a huge asset. Rangers could potentially be a big player in the trade deadline with extra cap space + plethora of highly toured defensive prospects.

Old
08-04-2009, 09:24 PM
TimeZone
Swedish Sensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legionnaire View Post
Easily. One will be on team Russia, the other will not. Guess which one?
Ever hear of an opinion ? Going by you're logic Evgeny Artyukhin Is also better than Zherdev.

TimeZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:29 PM
hashmarks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post
It's looking like Zherdev and the NHL just aren't a good fit.
Yeah, because in the NHL you actually have to pay the price and be part of a team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattar18 View Post
I remember Blue Jacket fans warning ranger fans about his contract status last year but they shrugged it off as nothing...
Oh "Ian" paging "Ian"...I loved how people defended him when I called him out for what he is. Heartless, only cares about money and has no interest in being part of a team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilswede View Post
But remember, Sather ripped Howson off! He flat out robbed him! What a steal of a deal Slats!!
My favorite was how Howson got 'fleeced'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob View Post
I see him going to the Oilers.
Not if Tom Renney has anything to say. I also don't think Lowe and Tambellini are that dumb either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilEmpire94 View Post
if torts didnt have a say in this than Zherdev would have been signed, torts really disliked zherdev's lazy play
You really think Torts was the only one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LL Kyle View Post
I think Torts would have proven to be the right coach for Zherdev.
Yes, stop everything so little Niki can finally catch on The kid has had ample opportunity with some pretty darn good coaches to 'get it' and he just hasn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by potvins4cups View Post
If jiri hudler got $5,000,000 then zherdev will get more from russia you can bet that. within a few days we will be informed that zherdev has signed in russia.
Last I heard Zherdev wasn't even on the Russians 46 man olympic roster...Hudler is 3x the overall player than Zherdev. Just because he is russian won't likely blind the KHL owners into chucking a load of money at him.

Maybe he shouldn't have spent so much time in the Russian Tea Room...

hashmarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:34 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
What is that, some kind of Catholic home gym?

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:37 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie1987 View Post
Dubinsky is your #1 center?
really there isn't any improvement if anything it's a downgrade, the defence could use some help too
that lineup isn't a playoff team imo
Add top goalie in the world (my opinion, consensus top 5 I'd think), and it doesn't look as bad.

They'll need a few guys to break out however. And some people to play up to their salaries.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:42 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GongShowHockeyNYR View Post
And people may say "asset mismanagement," but Cap space is a huge asset. Rangers could potentially be a big player in the trade deadline with extra cap space + plethora of highly toured defensive prospects.
Yeah, but they still have to play the 60ish games before the trade deadline. That cap space isn't worth squat if they're in no position to use it.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:42 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 300
Quote:
Ever hear of an opinion ? Going by you're logic Evgeny Artyukhin Is also better than Zherdev.
Except along with his logic, he's also using common sense. Kozlov is better than Zherdev. No two ways about it.

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:51 PM
TimeZone
Swedish Sensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by C For Choke View Post
Except along with his logic, he's also using common sense. Kozlov is better than Zherdev. No two ways about it.
I Dont share the same opnion as you..is that okay?

Old
08-04-2009, 09:52 PM
I Hate Chris Butler
Backlund Fan Club

vCash: 300
No.

Kozlov is better.

I Hate Chris Butler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 09:56 PM
TimeZone
Swedish Sensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by C For Choke View Post
No.

Kozlov is better.
Zherdev is 24 year's old and is only likely to improve...Kozlov is 38 year's old and coming on the end of his career. I know which one I would rather have on my team.

Last edited by TimeZone: 08-04-2009 at 10:02 PM.
Old
08-04-2009, 10:02 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

Quote:
Zherdev is 24 year's old and is only likely to improve...Kozlov is 38 year's old and coming on the end of his career. I know which one I would rather on my team.
3 of the past 4 years, Kozlov put up point totals Zherdev never came close to. He might be on the decline, but he's still a better hockey player, and not just statistically. The guy actually gives something to his team other than points.

Zherdev was the new Viktor Kozlov. All the tools, no toolbox. Unfortunate really.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:08 PM
TimeZone
Swedish Sensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLHabsAK46 View Post
3 of the past 4 years, Kozlov put up point totals Zherdev never came close to. He might be on the decline, but he's still a better hockey player, and not just statistically. The guy actually gives something to his team other than points.

Zherdev was the new Viktor Kozlov. All the tools, no toolbox. Unfortunate really.
Zherdev could crack 70 points playing with Kovalchuk,pretty easily. Zherdev reminds me more of Kovalev then Kozlov..But I get you're point.

I Still think Zherdev can be a star in this league.

Old
08-04-2009, 10:44 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
The Thrashers top6 is pathetic. Zherdev is better than any forward you have outside the obvious[Kovalchuk] If you dont think Zherdev could crack of all teams the Thrashers top6 then you really have no idea what you're talking about.
bryan little eats zherdev for breakfast

and when you start saying the same thing over and over again you know you've lost the argument

kozlov-white-little
kovalchuk-peverley-antropov

what's so pathetic about that

peverley is the only weak link and even he was a point per game player with the thrashers last year

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:47 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCGP View Post
Antropov plays center
that's funny, because i remember him being horrid at faceoffs so he was moved the RW and played better there

i remember the thrasher's website listing him as a RW

now where did i get these strange dreams from

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:58 PM
TimeZone
Swedish Sensation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodes 10 View Post
bryan little eats zherdev for breakfast

and when you start saying the same thing over and over again you know you've lost the argument

kozlov-white-little
kovalchuk-peverley-antropov

what's so pathetic about that

peverley is the only weak link and even he was a point per game player with the thrashers last year
Bryan Little and his 50 points eat Zherdev for Breakfast? I think it's obvious you're a waste of time. Enjoy the basement...again.

Old
08-04-2009, 10:59 PM
JohnHodgson

Damn, they let their top point getter go.

JohnHodgson is offline   Reply With Quote