HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

Pillu Bound For Europe

Old
07-21-2009, 03:32 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

vCash: 500
Pillu Bound For Europe

Story

To give a very rough summary: Pihlström was great at the World Championships, but not in the NHL, and will not return to Nashville. He's being courted by Färjestäd, but his first choice is the KHL.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 05:42 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Bummer. Sad to see him go. But I guess his heart just wasn't there, just in it for the money. Which I completely understand once you have a kid.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-21-2009, 10:05 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

BAI, good speed, but couldn't hit the net with his shot

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 05:29 AM
JussiM

Eh, I don't know. Nothing definite or brand new information in there. But maybe your Swedish is better than mine?

And isn't Aftonbladet a tabloid so the quality of reporting can be a bit iffy...

JussiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 09:12 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Pihlstrom was almost as disappointing as not making the playoffs to me, last year.

I had high hopes from the day we signed him, but hands like that just don't get better. Great speed, great energy, but all in all he amounted to a faster version of Tootoo with less hitting, and the regular version of Tootoo is more than enough as it is.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2009, 09:48 AM
jstreet

vCash: 50
I didnt think he was any better than Tootoo and far less exciting to watch.

meh.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 08:32 AM
echlfreak

Bonk may be off to the KHL

echlfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 09:25 AM
AdmiralsShortShifts

THN is reporting that Bonk signed by Lokomotiv Yaroslavl of the Kontinental Hockey League (KHL).

AdmiralsShortShifts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 12:05 PM
jstreet

that's too bad, I actually really liked Bonk.

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 06:09 AM
mattihp

Pillu will probably do a Bergenheim. One year in europe and then back to NA. He is too good for the SEL for sure.

Hopefully he goes to an NHL team which gives him more of a shot than the preds could give because of them signing so many lower line players to one-way-deals...

mattihp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 06:35 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
Hopefully he goes to an NHL team which gives him more of a shot than the preds could give because of them signing so many lower line players to one-way-deals...
It's not the team's fault he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a beach ball.

Old
08-05-2009, 06:42 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
It's not the team's fault he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with a beach ball.
I bet it's hard for many guys to keep up their confidence when guys like Smithson, Nichol, Fiddler, Jones etc. play ahead of you mostly because of contract reasons.

Pihlström had a bad year, but it is hard to find a single forward who didn't disappoint (Arnott the only one?) on the Preds.

Old
08-05-2009, 08:01 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

I never thought he would be much of a scorer, so I was more than fine with his game. He fits well on the third or fourth line. It sucks to lose him, but on the same token, right now his game is a dime a dozen.

08-05-2009, 08:06 AM
mattihp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I never thought he would be much of a scorer, so I was more than fine with his game. He fits well on the third or fourth line. It sucks to lose him, but on the same token, right now his game is a dime a dozen.
One who has seen what he can do on a line with guys like Jokinen, Koivu, Selänne sure wouldn't call him dime a dozen. When he is showed that he deserves ice time and that someone believes in him, he shows that he is worth every minute and is a very special player.

I don't think he has the confidence to do those kind of things on a consistant basis though, but with a streaky game he sure could score 20ish goals in the NHL given some ice time with quality players.

Old
08-05-2009, 08:15 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
I bet it's hard for many guys to keep up their confidence when guys like Smithson, Nichol, Fiddler, Jones etc. play ahead of you mostly because of contract reasons.
After Pihlström was recalled to Nashville about 20 games in, he was briefly put on a line with Legwand and Erat, and God as my witness, he made that line worse. He was fast, he was tenacious, but there's a point where the hands have to take over, and he just doesn't have the hands for the NHL. I'd hazard a guess that if Pihsltröm could get the puck on net 90% of the time, he'd have as many or more shots than Ovechkin, but he doesn't.

Quote:
Pihlström had a bad year, but it is hard to find a single forward who didn't disappoint (Arnott the only one?) on the Preds.
Arnott set the franchise record for goals in a single season, and he was out with a concussion for 11 games in the final weeks of the season. The only forwards that were legitimate disappointments were the PHAP duo (Hörnqvist and Pihlström).

Old
08-05-2009, 08:15 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
I didn't expect him to be a 20 goal scorer, but I expected him to get more than 2.

Old
08-05-2009, 09:03 AM
P-M Bouchard

Quote:
He is too good for the SEL for sure.
Don't go there, Antti.

P-M Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 09:06 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
One who has seen what he can do on a line with guys like Jokinen, Koivu, Selänne sure wouldn't call him dime a dozen. When he is showed that he deserves ice time and that someone believes in him, he shows that he is worth every minute and is a very special player.

I don't think he has the confidence to do those kind of things on a consistant basis though, but with a streaky game he sure could score 20ish goals in the NHL given some ice time with quality players.
This is coming from someone that really, really liked Pihlstrom after seeing him in the WC, and really liked what he might be able to do in the NHL:

He doesn't have NHL hands. If his hands could keep up with his feet, he'd be a star. Time and time again, he would go streaking into the offensive zone, blow by defenders, only to either bobble the puck away from himself, nail the puck into the end boards, or get poke checked by the goaltender. You can blame linemates, but he was given a chance on several occasions...he simply didn't do anything with it. All he was on the Predators was a speedy defensive forward...something we already had plenty of. Maybe you're right...maybe his confidence was down, it might explain the lack of hitting as compared to the AHL, but make no mistake-- he was a disappointment in Nashville, and there's no one to "blame" for that. He just wasn't good enough, and if he can't get his puck skills\hands together, he never will be good enough.

Old
08-05-2009, 10:01 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Wow, you guys have high standards. I didn't think he was all that disappointing. It was his first year in the NHL for pete's sake. At least he was able to keep up with the pace of the game, something Hornqvist couldn't do.

Pillu could still be an NHLer. There are just too many options out there nowadays for a European hockey player.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 11:32 PM
ottsens08

It's funny how when a player who plays in the NHL leave to play in Europe the fans will always say "well he was never going to make it in the NHL anyway." Why is that?

ottsens08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 12:06 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
What's the Pred say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsens08 View Post
It's funny how when a player who plays in the NHL leave to play in Europe the fans will always say "well he was never going to make it in the NHL anyway." Why is that?
It's more like "he wasn't going to amount to much in the NHL," which was the case for Pihlström.

I would love to see him come back next year and make an impact, but he'll be 25 in October, and players are almost always done developing by that point and entering their prime years. I don't think we've seen the last of him, but I don't think we'll see him lighting the lamp frequently in the NHL any time soon.

Old
08-09-2009, 08:20 AM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Scott Hartnell scored 3 goals his first season.

However you can't say Nashville didn't give Pillu a chance he played on almost every line. He just couldn't finish. He has high energy which works well on our bottom lines.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2009, 11:41 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
Scott Hartnell scored 3 goals his first season.

However you can't say Nashville didn't give Pillu a chance he played on almost every line. He just couldn't finish. He has high energy which works well on our bottom lines.
Scott Hartnell was 18 and playing on a team with next to no talent.