HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

First Predator to have his number retired: Erat or Legwand?

View Poll Results: Whose number should be retired first?
#11 - David Legwand 7 15.91%
#10 - Martin Erat 2 4.55%
Both 0 0%
Neither 31 70.45%
Another Player (Please Specify) 4 9.09%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-23-2009, 09:49 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphllp View Post
Or if you're a typical homer wanting to see a number up in the rafters. For a number to be retired it should be as obvious a decision to anyone, even outsiders. Erat and Legwand? If they ever have their numbers retired it will be for the fans, not what the players accomplished.
Did you read? Or can you?

I said neither should have their numbers retired at this point. I was simply taking issue with the post you made that seemed to marginalize not only the chance, but the players themselves.

And I've seen you around...you probably shouldn't be talking about "homers"

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 02:24 PM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Not when you're Martin Erat or David Legwand. Come on, its obvious you're just grasping at straws here. Neither of these 2 players would even get a sniff at the Hockey Hall of Fame, but you want one as a shoe in to have their numbers retired?
So what if a player doesn't go into the Hall? Bob Nystrom isn't enshrined. Neither is Terry O'Reilly. It's hard to say whether Ken Daneyko will go in or not. All of those players have had their numbers retired because they're a part of that team's culture and history.

Retiring a number isn't about honoring those players who've made it to the Hall of Fame. That's redundant, as they've already received an exponentially superior honor by being enshrined in the Hall. It's about honoring the players that made huge historical contributions to your franchise or were popular with the fan base.

If David Legwand finishes his career with the Predators, playing over 1000 games and possibly topping 700 points, there is a very, VERY good chance that his number is put in the rafters. If he's named captain for any stretch of time, it's a matter of when, not if. He is a huge part of this franchise and embodies the culture of the team almost to the letter. He's a piece of history: our first-ever draft pick was a lifetime Predator, and possibly our all-time leading scorer and captain. Cup or no Cup, that's an exemplary résumé.

Quote:
Originally Posted by echlfreak View Post
Neither that would be like Detroit retiring Kris Drapers number because he played with the team for 1000 games.
What a terrible comparison. Draper is nowhere near the player for Detroit that Legwand or Erat has been for us. He's nowhere close to being their franchise's leading scorer, and has zero chance of holding the captaincy.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2009, 11:18 PM
dulzhok

Quote:
Originally Posted by worstfaceoffmanever View Post
He is a huge part of this franchise and embodies the culture of the team almost to the letter.
Agreed. He embodies the culture of this team... MEDIOCRITY.

Retiring Legwand/Erat's number would be like giving out participation ribbons on field day.

Legwand leads the franchise in goals. Is this a testament to his great goal scoring ability... absolutely not. It's a testament to him putting up mediocre numbers for the past 12 years, and a testament to Poile's inability to bring in real offensive talent.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 01:21 AM
sparkle twin
On the Coooole Train

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Some people sure do have their collective panties in a bunch over a simple, hypothetical question that is a few years away from even any kind of real consideration.

Quote:
Or if you're a typical homer wanting to see a number up in the rafters. For a number to be retired it should be as obvious a decision to anyone, even outsiders. Erat and Legwand? If they ever have their numbers retired it will be for the fans, not what the players accomplished.
You realize our team is 12 years old right? 12. We have 12 years of history, and one of those was a lockout year. Any retiring of numbers is not going to be special to you, but to our team it will be. Other teams might have 50+ players that played their whole career in that one city or have a few that played 1000 games with one team. We might have 1 or 2 when either of these players retire. When they retire they will hold almost every franchise point record. If you're not a fan of the Preds, you don't see what Erat and Legwand mean to the team.

Maybe the question should ask 'Who will have his jersey retired first?' instead of retiring the number.

Last edited by sparkle twin: 07-24-2009 at 01:33 AM.
sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 09:59 AM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

You guys are right. Im completely wrong. The poll posted along with this thread proves that.

Legwand has played 9 seasons with the Preds and isnt the Captain yet, not even an assistant captain (from what I know anyway). If he's going to hit that 700 points in 1000 games he better soon have a breakout season.

mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 10:19 AM
mcphllp
Dion @ 6.5=Discount

Would you expect Leaf fans to raise Kaberle's jersey? Because I dont, and Ive never heard of the idea. He's played over a 100 more games than Legwand, scored 64 more points, as a defenseman.

Last edited by mcphllp: 07-24-2009 at 10:32 AM.
mcphllp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2009, 10:47 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Quote:
You guys are right. Im completely wrong. The poll posted along with this thread proves that.

Legwand has played 9 seasons with the Preds and isnt the Captain yet, not even an assistant captain (from what I know anyway). If he's going to hit that 700 points in 1000 games he better soon have a breakout season.
The Predators rotate their A's through Suter, Weber, Legwand and Erat.

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-25-2009, 01:44 AM
OpenWheel

Who can say? Neither yet, but if they put up some of their best seasons for the rest of their contracts either or both. I think Leggy willl have a good case. He has been a good player and I think he may even get a bit better, considering some of his good years he would get hurt, and then seemed to have lingering effects.

I voted for Erat, because I appreciate what he's done steadily for us and even though I think Leggy is the best player Erat has scored more steadily and does good work. So I didn't want Legwand getting the only votes.

I'll always remember some of the earliest players fondly. Ronning for example. Those early teams punched above their weight class and were good models for the rest who play here.

I always thought Legwand would maybe get his jersey in the rafters. But at one time I thought Vokoun would be the first one. Ah well.

Hey, how about Krivokrasov, he was the first all-star for the franchise?

Last edited by OpenWheel: 07-25-2009 at 01:50 AM.
OpenWheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 08:27 AM
Predatorbill

vCash: 126
Neither. Sullivan but only if he finishes his career with the Preds (uninjured), and he continues his current points production.

Predatorbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2009, 10:19 AM
codeyh

Send a message via AIM to codeyh
While Legwand doesn't have the legend or lore of many retired numbers, as far as Nashville goes, he's practically a shoo-in.

Predators' first ever draft pick, he is Nashville's franchise leader in nearly every offensive category - goals, assists, game-winning goals, multi-point games, points, overtime points and overtime goals. Also the leader in games played. Also first successful OT penalty shot in NHL History.

He may not grace the doors of the HHOF, but he'll hang in the rafters of the Sommet Center. I just don't see Erat doing the same.

codeyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 06:06 AM
mattihp

vCash: 50
If anyone, shouldn't Kimmo Timonen be quite high on the list?

mattihp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 06:52 AM
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattihp View Post
If anyone, shouldn't Kimmo Timonen be quite high on the list?
I don't think he's anywhere close. Only 573 games played.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote