HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ranger Practice in Rye

Old
08-02-2009, 05:37 PM
ghirshorn

vCash: 500
Ranger Practice in Rye

I would like to go to see the Rangers practice once they start up. Does anyone know when they start or if they sell tickets to the practices? Any extra information would be very helpful.

Thanks

ghirshorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 05:39 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

They dont practice in Rye anymore. They built there own rink/facilities in Greenburgh. They share it with the Knicks. Its like 10 minutes from me and Ive never been there...

Closed practices

08-02-2009, 06:13 PM
MBHockey

yeah I pass by the practice facility often. if you take the saw mill and get off the eastview exit it's right there. kind of unassuming. It's set back and has a giant gate. looks pretty nice from the outside.

MBHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 06:24 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Do fans ever go there just to hang outside for autographs, just cheer the team , say yo

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 06:36 PM
squishy

The front entrance is gated. And there's a fence around the back -- no point going to hang out cause the closest you'll get to the players is when they drive past you going out the gate.

I was there a couple years ago for a season subscriber event. They brought us in around back, we parked in a field and walked in through a back gate. Nice place... the the parts they allowed the public to see anyway, which weren't many.

squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 07:37 PM
nyrmetros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chariot View Post
Do fans ever go there just to hang outside for autographs, just cheer the team , say yo
Fans are trespassers and will be arrested. Notice the big sign on the gate to the complex next time you go.

nyrmetros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 07:54 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

Ha....Ive never actually been there. I knew it was close by but I also knew practices were closed so why bother. When I was a kid my Dad use to take me to practices. It was definitely cool for a kid and if the option was there today I would definitely take my son. I did get Chariot Jr a Zamboni ride last season between periods at MSG. Always good to bond the 5 yr olds to the team...

I Am Chariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 08:39 PM
Tom Atkins

i remember back when they practiced at rye. It was great, when my team would practice there, Rangers would always come out and watch. Would get a stick or two from the trash. This is when i was a mite or peewee, one of those.

Tom Atkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 08:40 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
Yea practices are not open to the public. There is barely enough room there for the reporters to go and watch.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 08:49 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

I remember going to a couple of open practices at Rye during the Rangers dark-ages. It was a pretty good time. I got to meet Fleury, Nedved and got autographs from Barnaby and Dan Blackburn.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2009, 08:59 PM
AdmiralsHockey93

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsHockey93 Send a message via MSN to AdmiralsHockey93
ive played at the practice facility, nice place, closed practices tho =/

AdmiralsHockey93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 12:28 AM
RedLightDistrict

I have fond memories of the fan forum the Rangers held during the lockout at the training center. They gave away free tickets to the event, which included autograph signings from Fotiu, Dave Maloney, Rod Gilbert, and Brian Mullen. They also opened the rink to the fans and had Gilbert's banner lowered to ice level so kids could skate by.

The one thing that will always stick with me was that the team held a state of the league open-house - no subject or criticism was taboo. While my friend and I were sitting patiently waiting for the event to start, Tom Renney approached us, and we basically had our own private hockey conversation with the guy. I had never before met someone in professional sports who was so engaging and eloquent; after the event Tom signed my Rangers puck. Good times.

RedLightDistrict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 01:45 AM
danno2530

Send a message via Yahoo to danno2530
I attended a practice when it was in Rye, it was a lot of fun although that building is ancient. Got to see Dan Cloutier and Manny Malhotra..those were the days. Well, actually not really.

Too bad they never open up the training facility for open practices, especially since my dad may be moving to Greenburgh soon. Maybe he'll see some players driving around the area though.

danno2530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 02:44 AM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:
Originally Posted by squishy View Post
The front entrance is gated. And there's a fence around the back -- no point going to hang out cause the closest you'll get to the players is when they drive past you going out the gate.

I was there a couple years ago for a season subscriber event. They brought us in around back, we parked in a field and walked in through a back gate. Nice place... the the parts they allowed the public to see anyway, which weren't many.
Correct. Were you at the summer barbecue in 2004? That was pretty cool. Got to meet Renney and Maloney. Both were real nice. The facility is top notch.

Kovy274Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 02:46 AM
Kovy274Hart

Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLightDistrict View Post
I have fond memories of the fan forum the Rangers held during the lockout at the training center. They gave away free tickets to the event, which included autograph signings from Fotiu, Dave Maloney, Rod Gilbert, and Brian Mullen. They also opened the rink to the fans and had Gilbert's banner lowered to ice level so kids could skate by.

The one thing that will always stick with me was that the team held a state of the league open-house - no subject or criticism was taboo. While my friend and I were sitting patiently waiting for the event to start, Tom Renney approached us, and we basically had our own private hockey conversation with the guy. I had never before met someone in professional sports who was so engaging and eloquent; after the event Tom signed my Rangers puck. Good times.

This too. That's right. I met Matteau and took a pic. That was awesome. Anderson was also there and of course we voiced our opinions about how he belonged in the Hall. Nice to see him finally get rewarded last year.

The setup was great. Too bad since the team's improved, they no longer do anything for fans. Damn Dolan.

Kovy274Hart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 08:20 AM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

If you want to see a practice you need to pay for your season tickets with an American Express card. There is an event at the end of the month. I don't think the Rangers do this out of the goodness of their heart; there is much Amex adverts so I am sure they are flipping most of the bill. It seems like these open practices/events come up once every other year.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 12:17 PM
MBHockey

Yeah, i went to a practice when they used to practice in Playland. It was great. I was little and was wearing a Graves jersey. We got a ton of sticks, two of Richter's practice water bottles, and got to meet Luc Robitaille. He signed my jersey and was just the nicest guy ever. I remember once he was done signing autographs he looked up with a smile and said, "that's it?"

I also remember Kovalev not being nice at all. This was in 1996, so two years after the Cup.

Also, about two weeks ago I met Ryan Callahan at a bar in Rochester while visiting some friends. Didn't want to bother him too much, but he was a real down to earth guy. My friends played hockey with him in high school, so when they talk to him it's like no big deal. He joined us in making fun of our one friend who is an islanders fan. good times.

MBHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 12:44 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Isn't it because the town of Greenburgh that they can't hold open practices? I used to love them back when I was a kid too.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 02:35 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Isn't it because the town of Greenburgh that they can't hold open practices? I used to love them back when I was a kid too.
I don't think so. No one but fans and the media wants it. Coaches want to curse all they want, GM don't want scouting, owner do not want players be accessible by the media, cause he cannot sensor them.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 03:28 PM
Stepan Razor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovy274Hart View Post
Correct. Were you at the summer barbecue in 2004? That was pretty cool. Got to meet Renney and Maloney. Both were real nice. The facility is top notch.
i went to one for sth in 2007, we got to skate on the ice and listen to renney speak a few times (he even opened it up to questions from the fans). the facility was beautiful.

Stepan Razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 06:47 PM
RothmanHockey

Send a message via AIM to RothmanHockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
I don't think so. No one but fans and the media wants it. Coaches want to curse all they want, GM don't want scouting, owner do not want players be accessible by the media, cause he cannot sensor them.
It has nothing to do with media -- practices are open to and reported about by the media. It's probably a cost thing -- now that it's their own building, they would have to pay for security and fan relations people, which they don't want to do.

RothmanHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 07:04 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
If you want to see a practice you need to pay for your season tickets with an American Express card. There is an event at the end of the month. I don't think the Rangers do this out of the goodness of their heart; there is much Amex adverts so I am sure they are flipping most of the bill. It seems like these open practices/events come up once every other year.
fanfest is not an open practice, it's an fan oriented event being held outside the training facility

secondly, amex is one of msg's biggest sponsor, it's incentive for them to have subscribers renew using their amex card

nyr did fanfest last year as well.

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-03-2009, 10:45 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by in the hall View Post
fanfest is not an open practice, it's an fan oriented event being held outside the training facility

secondly, amex is one of msg's biggest sponsor, it's incentive for them to have subscribers renew using their amex card

nyr did fanfest last year as well.
You mean Amex likes it when they get 4% of the season ticket purchase? I would never have known that.

abev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:45 PM
in the hall

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
You mean Amex likes it when they get 4% of the season ticket purchase? I would never have known that.
that makes no sense.

in the hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 09:03 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

American Express charges every company a certain amount every time that a member uses the card. I'm not sure if it's 4% or not, but it is a certain percentage. Companies have to agree to it because otherwise they'll lose the business of Amex card members. This is why you'll notice that a lot of smaller places don't accept Amex.

What makes it best is that even if you never have to pay interest on your card (if you pay your full balance every month), they still make money off of you because they get money on every purchase you make and also get annual dues from you. I guess it helps pay for those sky miles, eh?

So yes, Amex does get a percentage of your season ticket purchase.

WhipNash27 is online now   Reply With Quote