HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Good Restaurant

Old
08-05-2009, 08:34 AM
OneSharpMarble

vCash: 500
Good Restaurant

I am taking my mom out for a birthday dinner and want some place nice, now I havn't lived here for several years now so I am asking for suggestions. Remember it's a mom thing so no candle lit evenings. Price isnt really a bother but we are the type who dont enjoy gourmet food (spoonful of food with some sauce decorating the plate). Also lets avoid Indian/Asian food (I like it but its not a good choice for this occasion). Seafood or a Steakhouse are our normal choices and location isnt a big deal.

So I guess I am looking for your own personal choice of restaurant. I think we went to the Outback last year and it did not live up to past expectations.

OneSharpMarble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 08:48 AM
rprice92

went to the sicilian pasta kitchen on saturday, and i'm a big boy, and couldn't finish the seafood pasta they handed out to me. pretty decent price too around 17$+ per plate

rprice92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 09:05 AM
hockeychild99

Ruth's Chris Steakhouse or Tom Goodchild's Moose Factory are two good choices IMO...

hockeychild99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 09:27 AM
fancy dan*

your mom deserves better than the outback.

fancy dan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 09:28 AM
chrisj

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneSharpMarble View Post
I am taking my mom out for a birthday dinner and want some place nice, now I havn't lived here for several years now so I am asking for suggestions. Remember it's a mom thing so no candle lit evenings. Price isnt really a bother but we are the type who dont enjoy gourmet food (spoonful of food with some sauce decorating the plate). Also lets avoid Indian/Asian food (I like it but its not a good choice for this occasion). Seafood or a Steakhouse are our normal choices and location isnt a big deal.

So I guess I am looking for your own personal choice of restaurant. I think we went to the Outback last year and it did not live up to past expectations.
Blue Plate Diner on 104 st. Great food and service.
http://www.blueplatediner.ca/

chrisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 09:46 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Bistecca on 111st and 23ave. Order the Bistecca. Yummy.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&um=...54436161160586

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 09:46 AM
rigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeychild99 View Post
Ruth's Chris Steakhouse or Tom Goodchild's Moose Factory are two good choices IMO...
The Creperie - poor wine selection, fantastic food and desert (quality of food surprised me), romantic setting, very cool place.

Ruth's Chris - It is what it is, I enjoy it, good wine selection, entree's and sides are fantastic, remember it's a la carte.

Characters - Kinda the small portions but Shon knows what he's doing in the kitchen, great place to go.

A few others I like are:
Harvest Room
Madison's Grill
Red Ox
Manor Cafe - great little place, I would suggest this place for a nice mid range place.
Normand's - cool place if you like wild game with really cool sauces. We always took our Japanese clients here because they felt like they were getting a true Albertan experience. First place I had pheasant and it was amazing.

You can see Im not a huge fan of franchise restaurants. Whenever I travel I like to go to the concierge and ask for a great local restaurant. In the deep south states this is a lot of fun, you get all kinds of different places. Or I search out where I want to go before hand if Im with customers. Lots of fun, if you can afford it, eating at places like the ones above is a fun treat once a month or so. I love a good old cheeseburger as much as anyone and I've found some amazing places for a 1/4 the price as some of the above stated places, but fine dining with a good atmosphere is a great time.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 09:55 AM
rigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Bistecca on 111st and 23ave. Order the Bistecca. Yummy.
http://maps.google.ca/maps?hl=en&um=...54436161160586
I live near there and have never been, is it a good place? I always drive by thinking I should go there but never do.

Old
08-05-2009, 10:01 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger View Post
I live near there and have never been, is it a good place? I always drive by thinking I should go there but never do.
Me and the wife went for our anniversary this year. I ordered the Bistecca. It was very good. If you want it medium rare or rare order it that way. Many times I overcompensate as lots of restaurants will under cook the steak as per order. This one doesnt though. I quite liked it. It is a little pricey. Pasta dishes can be had for a little under 20 bucks but most entrees are more than that.

Old
08-05-2009, 10:09 AM
Stoneman89

Try Moxies. Good location, parking, nice decor, lots of booths, clean, nice variety in menu. Never had a bad meal there. Earls on Calgary Trail is also good.

Stoneman89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 10:20 AM
2XHockeySticks

Second that emotion

Go to the Red Ox Inn. It's one of the great little gem restaurants in our city, the food is incredible and it feels like a special occasion every time. Your mom'll LOVE it I'm sure....

Just my 2 cents...

2XHockeySticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 10:26 AM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Is Ric's Grill still any good? I sent my parents there for their anniversary one year (2005 I think) and they absolutely loved it, but I've myself never been. My dad, who was quite the BBQ ninja, said his steak was one of the best he'd ever had.

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 10:29 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
Is Ric's Grill still any good? I sent my parents there for their anniversary one year (2005 I think) and they absolutely loved it, but I've myself never been. My dad, who was quite the BBQ ninja, said his steak was one of the best he'd ever had.
Dont know about that but Jack's grill is terrible now. Such a shame. I think he sold it. It had different staff when we went back and the food was borderline terrible. I had one of the best meals of my life there just a couple of years before. Shame.

Old
08-05-2009, 10:39 AM
sparky4

Piccolinos Bistro on 142 street and about 90th ave

You need a reservation but during the week if you call in the afternoon the usually can fit a tabel of two in.

Best Italian in the city by a huge margin.

sparky4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 10:40 AM
rigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Human Torch View Post
Rics Grill is good, different places have different quality. I've found the St.Albert one to be pretty decent. Its a Keg/Chop type of quality, arguably better then both of them. I've found Chop has slid a bit too lately.

Quote:
Dont know about that but Jack's grill is terrible now. Such a shame. I think he sold it. It had different staff when we went back and the food was borderline terrible. I had one of the best meals of my life there just a couple of years before. Shame.
I agree, not sure what happened but I left it off my list because it just wasn't a great experience.

Old
08-05-2009, 10:45 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Me and the wife went for our anniversary this year. I ordered the Bistecca. It was very good. If you want it medium rare or rare order it that way. Many times I overcompensate as lots of restaurants will under cook the steak as per order. This one doesnt though. I quite liked it. It is a little pricey. Pasta dishes can be had for a little under 20 bucks but most entrees are more than that.
Awesome I will defintiely go check this place out. Anyhow I find tha tmost restaurant over cook the meat rather than undercook it. I often order a steak rare and it usually gets to me as a med rare and sometimes more. The idiot at teh awmill tried telling me it was rare because it was pink. I was like rare should still be red not pink, the beef should still be raw, warm but raw. Some people honestly don't know how to cook steak and don't know the difference between rare, med rare, med, med well and well done. Guess you elarn this when you grow up on a beef farm though.

Quote:
Ya Ric's grill is an awesome place. It is a pricier restaurant but the food is great. I have only been there once and loved it and everyone else I know of that goes there has loved it too.

Too bad to hear about Jack's Grill, I was there a few years ago too and thought it was a pretty solid place.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 10:49 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Try Moxies. Good location, parking, nice decor, lots of booths, clean, nice variety in menu. Never had a bad meal there. Earls on Calgary Trail is also good.
The only big name franchise restaurant that I would suggest is the Keg. The one of whyte avenue is probably the better one to go to as well.

Old
08-05-2009, 10:50 AM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
Quote:
Rics Grill is good, different places have different quality. I've found the St.Albert one to be pretty decent. Its a Keg/Chop type of quality, arguably better then both of them. I've found Chop has slid a bit too lately.
That's the one I sent them to!

The Human Torch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 10:53 AM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky4 View Post
Piccolinos Bistro on 142 street and about 90th ave

You need a reservation but during the week if you call in the afternoon the usually can fit a tabel of two in.

Best Italian in the city by a huge margin.
I am going to second this and the prices are excellent.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Shibumi

I would suggest Tom Goodchild's Moose Factory, the Sawmill (both serve great steaks) or the Louisiana Purchase. The alligator is very good and the jumbalya is excellent.

Shibumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:02 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumi View Post
I would suggest Tom Goodchild's Moose Factory, the Sawmill (both serve great steaks) or the Louisiana Purchase. The alligator is very good and the jumbalya is excellent.
This is probably because they are the same franchise. Either way don't waste your money at the sawmill, this place just sucks.

Old
08-05-2009, 11:04 AM
The Imp

Quote:
The Creperie - poor wine selection, fantastic food and desert (quality of food surprised me), romantic setting, very cool place.

Ruth's Chris - It is what it is, I enjoy it, good wine selection, entree's and sides are fantastic, remember it's a la carte.

Characters - Kinda the small portions but Shon knows what he's doing in the kitchen, great place to go.

A few others I like are:
Harvest Room
Madison's Grill
Red Ox
Manor Cafe - great little place, I would suggest this place for a nice mid range place.
Normand's - cool place if you like wild game with really cool sauces. We always took our Japanese clients here because they felt like they were getting a true Albertan experience. First place I had pheasant and it was amazing.

You can see Im not a huge fan of franchise restaurants. Whenever I travel I like to go to the concierge and ask for a great local restaurant. In the deep south states this is a lot of fun, you get all kinds of different places. Or I search out where I want to go before hand if Im with customers. Lots of fun, if you can afford it, eating at places like the ones above is a fun treat once a month or so. I love a good old cheeseburger as much as anyone and I've found some amazing places for a 1/4 the price as some of the above stated places, but fine dining with a good atmosphere is a great time.
+1 on Manor Café and the Créperie.

The Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:07 AM
Boilers*

No love for The Olive Garden?

Boilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:09 AM
rigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumi View Post
I love Cajun cuisine and I didn't know of any place in Edmonton where they served good stuff. Im excited to try this.

Old
08-05-2009, 11:09 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
If you want it medium rare or rare order it that way. Many times I overcompensate as lots of restaurants will under cook the steak as per order. This one doesnt though.
Wow thats really weird. I've never in my life had an undercooked steak in edmonton....always overcooked

But I'm too afraid to order a blue rare to get my rare steak and so I just deal with medium rare everywhere

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote