HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

HFBoards TOP 60 ranking: Defencemen #48

View Poll Results: Best Dman
Corvo 6 4.96%
K.Johnsson 7 5.79%
Grebeshkov 16 13.22%
Whitney 7 5.79%
Kuba 7 5.79%
Gilbert 6 4.96%
Robidas 19 15.70%
Lydman 0 0%
Michalek 6 4.96%
Orpik 11 9.09%
Spacek 5 4.13%
Bogosian 12 9.92%
Letang 10 8.26%
Hamrlik 6 4.96%
Other (name him) 3 2.48%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-04-2009, 10:26 AM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiac View Post
Really dont get you Bogosian voters..... HE PLAYED 47 GAMES IN HIS NHL CAREER

47 GP, not even 2/3 of a full season

9 G, 19 pts, good goal total, crappy assist total (on pace for 15 goals 17 assists)

67 hits and 50 blk shots, which was on pace for 116 hits and 87 blocked shots

if he was lucky enough to keep that pace wouldve been around 50th in hits and 110th in blocked shots amongst dmen. Not bad for hits, but low for blocked shots.

149th in TOI/G..... very low.

And you guys want to rank him the 49th best Dman in the NHL. Wow.

Compare THAT with Robidas who was ranked,

3rd in hits
20th in TOI/G

Give me a break people. Smarten up.
it's a lost cause at this point. ever since about pick 30 it's pretty much been a crap-shoot or popularity contest. the average fan doesn't watch enough of every team to accurately say who should be next.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 11:00 AM
CFD
shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaner89 View Post
Letang. Ask this question after this yr and i bet Letang is a top 20 dman.
Uh, no. Letang could serve to improve in the defensive zone before he makes my top 90 list, much less a top 60 or top 20.

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 02:05 PM
Xspyrit

Quote:

9 G, 19 pts, good goal total, crappy assist total (on pace for 15 goals 17 assists)

if he was lucky enough to keep that pace wouldve been around 50th in hits and 110th in blocked shots amongst dmen. Not bad for hits, but low for blocked shots.

And you guys want to rank him the 48th best Dman in the NHL. Wow.

3rd in hits
20th in TOI/G

Maybe you should make a rule for those polls : players under 100 NHL games aren't eligible.

Let's vote for this! lol

Xspyrit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar

Letang, ADD SCHENN!

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Slapshot_11

Robidas add Edler

Slapshot_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 03:59 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
Quote:

And you guys want to rank him the 48th best Dman in the NHL. Wow.

3rd in hits
20th in TOI/G

It's really hard to argue with you since you base your arguments on STATS, while we base our positions on actually watching the players play.

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 04:02 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Predanerd View Post
it's a lost cause at this point. ever since about pick 30 it's pretty much been a crap-shoot or popularity contest. the average fan doesn't watch enough of every team to accurately say who should be next.
That's just stupid though. How can you argue about with actually watching something play?

The defenseman left are pretty damn mediocre. Doughty is not, and has been a very special player since he entered the league. He probably could have had a 40 point season if his teammates had any finish! He was also incredible defensively.

The point being that, just because he's young, doesn't mean that he isn't that good.

Again, I will re-iterate this. He was the #1 defenseman on a top-15 defense

We're not talking about Atlanta and Toronto who had ****** defense. LA had a decent if not above average defense.

Old
08-04-2009, 04:25 PM
Hooch314

If we are really going to have Doughty 43rd then it should be Bogosian

Hooch314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 04:35 PM
amnesiac*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
That's just stupid though. How can you argue about with actually watching something play?

The defenseman left are pretty damn mediocre. Doughty is not, and has been a very special player since he entered the league. He probably could have had a 40 point season if his teammates had any finish! He was also incredible defensively.

The point being that, just because he's young, doesn't mean that he isn't that good.

Again, I will re-iterate this. He was the #1 defenseman on a top-15 defense

We're not talking about Atlanta and Toronto who had ****** defense. LA had a decent if not above average defense.
Its a lot more about the system they play that makes a team good defensively, like Detroit or Columbus, more than it is the individual players. Everyone knows that.

I have nothing against Doughty whatsoever, but like I said earlier, LA brought him up because they had nothing to lose and wanted to develop him as early as possible. Theres no way a playoff bound team wouldve let him play 82 games right out of junior. Its unheard of. Research how many defencemen made it to the NHL under the age 21, let alone 19, and youll see why.

The fact that Doughty was also 7th in giveaways isnt exactly helping your argument either in terms of being one of the best defencemen in the NHL. He may be showing tons of potential now as a 19 year old, but theres no way that hes as SMART as the top 50 or even 100 experienced dmen, whove played several years in the NHL.

I know its exciting to see a young rookie have so much promise for your favourite team, but take off your homer cap for sec and try to be objective when voting in these polls.

Its ridiculous how people are making this into a popularity contest. Im willing to bet youll have all the top Habs, Leafs, Oilers, Flames, Nucks, and Sens dmen in the top 100.

Last edited by amnesiac*: 08-04-2009 at 04:41 PM.
amnesiac* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 04:47 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Its a lot more about the system they play that makes a team good defensively, like Detroit or Columbus, more than it is the individual players. Everyone knows that.

I have nothing against Doughty whatsoever, but like I said earlier, LA brought him up because they had nothing to lose and wanted to develop him as early as possible. Theres no way a playoff bound team wouldve let him play 82 games right out of junior. Its unheard of. Research how many defencemen made it to the NHL under the age 21, let alone 19, and youll see why.

The fact that Doughty was also 7th in giveaways isnt exactly helping your argument either in terms of being one of the best defencemen in the NHL. He may be showing tons of potential now as a 19 year old, but theres no way that hes as SMART as the top 50 or even 100 experienced dmen, whove played several years in the NHL.

I know its exciting to see a young rookie have so much promise for your favourite team, but take off your homer cap for sec and try to be objective when voting in these polls.

Its ridiculous how people are making this into a popularity contest. Im willing to bet youll have all the top Habs, Leafs, Oilers, Flames, Nucks, and Sens dmen in the top 100.
I won't deny your last point.

But I still don't see your point about the giveaways.

Andrei Markov, who was the Habs' best defenseman last year, was 2nd in giveaways. And how it points to immaturity is beyond me - Sean OD, who is a smart hockey player, had more giveaways than Doughty (and incidentally was on the same pairing).

Sidney Crosby and Scott Niedermayer, elite players and capable 2-way players, were also in the top 25 for Giveaways

so what's your point?

At the same time, how much can it be emphasized that Doughty earned his way to being a #1 defenseman

He wasn't just some kid that was given time. He earned all of it.

It wasn't about devleopement. Doughty earned it.

Name one other defenseman left (other than Robidas, who only became so due to injuries) who is a #1 defenseman. Please.

Old
08-04-2009, 07:06 PM
nucksforthecup

vCash: 4580
Gilbert

add Edler

nucksforthecup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 07:31 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Voted Corvo - he was far and away more important to the Canes than anyone in their bottom 4. Huge TOI and good overall numbers.

Add Roszival.

TheDevilMadeMe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 08:34 PM
Andy Dufresne

Quote:
So how's it looking so far for the homer votes. Looks to me like the Oiler's are running away with it. Apparently they have 2 #1 defenceman and now we have 2 oiler d-man looking like top tier #2 d-men. Yet they gave up how many goals last year? With an average to above average to above average goalie in Roloson.

I voted for Letang. Just because someone said he sucks defensively. Just because any vote for Gilbert or Grebeshkov is a vote for a d-man who is so bad defensively he oughta immediately be moved to the wing (except on the pp). Just so no-one can call it a homer vote. Just because Letang made multiple great defensive plays at important times that helped his team win the cup.

Many posters here love stats. Try looking up the Oilers important stats like goals against and goalie save percentage and tell me they have 2 #1 d-men and 2 top tier #2 d-men. 4 defenceman in the top 50 of the NHL? Insane!

Fpr the record I don't have a problem with the Souray/Visnovsky votes. It's just that Gilbert and Grebeshkov make Ron Hainsey look like Rod Langway. Sandis Ozolinsh with 1/2 the talent and 1/8th the flair. As a Canuck fan I hope they're both Oilers for life.

Andy Dufresne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:41 PM
SchennSational1022*
The Future

I like Robidas and Johnnson

SchennSational1022* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-04-2009, 10:51 PM
Mach 9*

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskyoil View Post
It has to be Grebeshkov:

72 7 32 39 +12 0.54PPG
Kuba 71 games- 40 points +4

He was one of only 2 players with a +/- of 1 or above

It was him and Alfie

Mach 9* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:40 AM
rt
Usually Incorrect

Neither Jovanovski nor Ballard should be before Michalek. Michalek is better than both. He is the most underrated defensman in the NHL. He's not going top fifty? There are not even thirty better defensemen in the league.

rt is offline   Reply With Quote