HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Good Restaurant

Old
08-05-2009, 11:12 AM
rigger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boilers View Post
No love for The Olive Garden?
It may be me or most of us actually who like to support the private, non franchised restaurants in edmonton. I enjoy these little places the most. More authentic and they seem to really appreciate the business.

rigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:24 AM
RattsSSV
Thanks Smytty!

vCash: 99
One of my favorite restaurants in Edmonton is La Boheme. Great french cuisine.

http://www.laboheme.ca/

RattsSSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:24 AM
Dr_Gonz0

It may not be fine dining, but Dadeo's has some awesome food and a nice atmosphere if ya like cajun southern cooking.

Dr_Gonz0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:28 AM
oilerdiehard16

The Wild Tangerine is a really awesome place too. The food is slightly pricey but not too bad. The food is delicious and I've always left feeling extremely satisfied.

oilerdiehard16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:28 AM
spent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumi View Post
I would suggest Tom Goodchild's Moose Factory, the Sawmill (both serve great steaks) or the Louisiana Purchase. The alligator is very good and the jumbalya is excellent.
What does alligator taste like? Chicken? I am curious to go there now just to try it.

My anniversary is coming up, so this thread could not have popped up at a more appropriate time. Thanks OP for making it!

spent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:46 AM
iddmitch

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
Dont know about that but Jack's grill is terrible now. Such a shame. I think he sold it. It had different staff when we went back and the food was borderline terrible. I had one of the best meals of my life there just a couple of years before. Shame.
He did sell, moving to the maritimes where they have another restaurant they are trying to get going. I am friends with his son and daughter.

iddmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:50 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 3099
Quote:
Originally Posted by iddmitch View Post
He did sell, moving to the maritimes where they have another restaurant they are trying to get going. I am friends with his son and daughter.
Thanks. We went there about six years ago and I had a bison rib eye with potato pie. It was absolutely amazing. He came out to our table to ask how everything was. One of the best dining experiences I have ever had.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shibumi View Post
I would suggest Tom Goodchild's Moose Factory, the Sawmill (both serve great steaks) or the Louisiana Purchase. The alligator is very good and the jumbalya is excellent.

The Sawmill used to be one of the better restaurants in town, but in the last 2-3 years, I think it's gone downhill badly. The service and food is now 2nd rate or worse, IMO. Will not go back to the original one on Calgary Trail for love or money after 2 horrific experiences. My buddy, who's family was a long time patron there, suffered the same fates, and is of the same opinion.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:55 AM
Giggli G

Oh man Dadeo's is the best for casual dining... I want yam fries and herb mayo RIGHT NOW!

Giggli G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:55 AM
RedTide

Il Forno Ristorante in the west end is a nice little italian eatery with reasonable prices and good food. My wife and I frequent it often and have never had a bad meal or bad service. I recommend it to many and have always heard positive feeedback.

RedTide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Wow thats really weird. I've never in my life had an undercooked steak in edmonton....always overcooked

But I'm too afraid to order a blue rare to get my rare steak and so I just deal with medium rare everywhere
Yep, pretty much how I find it.

Reimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:57 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Dont know about that but Jack's grill is terrible now. Such a shame. I think he sold it. It had different staff when we went back and the food was borderline terrible. I had one of the best meals of my life there just a couple of years before. Shame.

I am saddened to hear that. We live a couple blocks from it, and it's consistently been rated top 5 in the city. Never had a bad meal or service there, always outstanding and real jewel in the city. I heard as well he went back to the maritimes, and sold it to his head waiter, who we got to know quite well. I can't imagine he would change things up so badly, after being there for so long. Hopefully you just had a one-off experience and it was just a hiccup.

Old
08-05-2009, 11:59 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
I am saddened to hear that. We live a couple blocks from it, and it's consistently been rated top 5 in the city. Never had a bad meal or service there, always outstanding and real jewel in the city. I heard as well he went back to the maritimes, and sold it to his head waiter, who we got to know quite well. I can't imagine he would change things up so badly, after being there for so long. Hopefully you just had a one-off experience and it was just a hiccup.
Well if Jack is cooking the meal count me in. If not, I am not going to pay premium prices for bad food. I wont be back.

Old
08-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigger View Post
It may be me or most of us actually who like to support the private, non franchised restaurants in edmonton. I enjoy these little places the most. More authentic and they seem to really appreciate the business.
You betcha and the waitresses at most non-franchised restaurants aren't trying to sell you items on the menu via t n' a. Not that the Olive Garden fits that bill, but most people that work for franchise restaurants take your order and bring you food and expect a tip for doing so. Be a good host and make it seem taht you appreciate my business and I will consider giving a tip. But teh expectation of a tip really pisses me off.

Old
08-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Giggli G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reimer View Post
You betcha and the waitresses at most non-franchised restaurants aren't trying to sell you items on the menu via t n' a. Not that the Olive Garden fits that bill, but most people that work for franchise restaurants take your order and bring you food and expect a tip for doing so. Be a good host and make it seem taht you appreciate my business and I will consider giving a tip. But teh expectation of a tip really pisses me off.
Of course they expect a tip, they get paid minimum wage and their real-world salary is entirely designed around getting tips.

PS as a young man I don't mind the t n' a as long as it is in correct quantities.

Giggli G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Stoneman89

Quote:
Well if Jack is cooking the meal count me in. If not, I am not going to pay premium prices for bad food. I wont be back.

I would have to hope that sometime in all those years, that Jack trained a person or two in how to cook those meals. We were there once when he was on holidays, and the meal was superb as always.

Old
TripleP

I refuse to eat at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.

They serve USDA instead of Alberta beef.

I can't get behind that.

TripleP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Stoneman89

Don't want to hijack this thread, but another thought. Went on a golfing holiday to Phoenix last February with some buddies, and the service down there was unbelievable. As a matter of fact, a lot of times in the States, the service is fantastic. Couldn't understand why we can't get service like that up here. One of the guys we were with, said it's because servers down there are "career servers", not some pimply faced (apologize to all pimply faced people everywhere) teenager trying to make some extra money while they finish high school or post-secondary. These people all take their job seriously, and get paid quite well for it.

Old
08-05-2009, 12:20 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giggli G View Post
Of course they expect a tip, they get paid minimum wage and their real-world salary is entirely designed around getting tips.

PS as a young man I don't mind the t n' a as long as it is in correct quantities.
Unfortunately no one is forcing them to be working that job. Do your job well and be rewarded for it. The ******** of just giving someone money who didn't do anything extra to make the experience at the restaurant any better than McDonalds doesn't deserve anything.

That is problem with a lot of waitrersses/ waiters they expect to get a tip no matter what. The fact that a lot of people in society are stimulated to tip regardless is ****ed at best.

Old
08-05-2009, 12:21 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleP View Post
I refuse to eat at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.

They serve USDA instead of Alberta beef.

I can't get behind that.

One of the most over-rated and over-priced restaurants around.

Old
08-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Reimer
Tambo Troll Face

Quote:
Don't want to hijack this thread, but another thought. Went on a golfing holiday to Phoenix last February with some buddies, and the service down there was unbelievable. As a matter of fact, a lot of times in the States, the service is fantastic. Couldn't understand why we can't get service like that up here. One of the guys we were with, said it's because servers down there are "career servers", not some pimply faced (apologize to all pimply faced people everywhere) teenager trying to make some extra money while they finish high school or post-secondary. These people all take their job seriously, and get paid quite well for it.
Exactly I was gonna use California as a example just because that is when I noticed it. But ya the people there take their serving jobs seriously, they know they have to work for their tip, they don't just expect it here like some broad with her **** hanging out of her shirt.

Old
08-05-2009, 12:23 PM
Ragss

Quote:
Originally Posted by rprice92 View Post
went to the sicilian pasta kitchen on saturday, and i'm a big boy, and couldn't finish the seafood pasta they handed out to me. pretty decent price too around 17$+ per plate

Yeah that place is great. Huge servings of amazing pasta. For Italian I'd also highly reccomend il Pasticcio.

Ragss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 12:24 PM
Stoneman89

Don't laugh, but some of the best steak and service I get is at Coliseum Steak and Pizza. Nothing fancy, but they've got it down to a science with the hordes that come in before an Oilers game.

Old
08-05-2009, 12:25 PM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
I would have to hope that sometime in all those years, that Jack trained a person or two in how to cook those meals. We were there once when he was on holidays, and the meal was superb as always.
Why dont you go check it out this week and get back to us. Gourmet cooking is an art. I am sure I could tutor under Jack for years and never come close to making a meal that is in his neighbourhood.

Old
08-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Temaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Wow thats really weird. I've never in my life had an undercooked steak in edmonton....always overcooked

But I'm too afraid to order a blue rare to get my rare steak and so I just deal with medium rare everywhere
I've never understood how people could eat rare meat. The look of it sickens me. Its raw in the middle! Something has to differentiate us from animals you know.

Temaire is offline   Reply With Quote