HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers interested in Bertuzzi

Old
08-05-2009, 11:26 AM
Kaktus*

vCash: 500
Flyers interested in Bertuzzi

Quote:
The Philadelphia Flyers are believed to be among the teams interested in signing veteran forward Todd Bertuzzi.
Bertuzzi, who is not likely to re-sign with the Calgary Flames, is expecting to find a new home this week.

The 34-year-old winger told the Calgary Herald he'll likely sign with a U.S.-based team, and the Flyers are one of the clubs that have shown interest.

In 66 games with the Flames last season, Bertuzzi tallied 15 goals and 29 assists for 44 points.

Flyers GM Paul Holmgren has been looking to add another forward, presumably for the team's second-line.

Should the Flyers add Bertuzzi, or any other forward, they may have to pull the trigger on a trade to shed additional salary.

Bertuzzi made $1.95 million last season and should see his salary inch closer to the $1.2 million range.
http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/phi090805.html

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 08-05-2009 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Quotes needed around article
Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:31 AM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Not surprising. I think the Flyers have been interested in every single free agent throughout the history of mankind.

Shadow Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:36 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowFlyer View Post
Not surprising. I think the Flyers have been interested in every single free agent throughout the history of mankind.
According to Eklund anyway.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:44 AM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

Quote:
The Flyers are interested and the Rangers sign them.

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Defmincex13

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
According to Eklund anyway.

haha, that was funny as a mug!

but that article is wrong on something because it would be for the 3rd line.... silly news.

Defmincex13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:47 AM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

If the price is right, bring him in.

Low risk, potentially semi-high reward.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:49 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
The Rangers suck. Redden at $6.5? Rosival at $5? Injury prone Gaborik at $7.5?

Yikes, and they complain about our contracts. I'd take Timonen and Pronger at $6.33 and 6.25 respectively ANYDAY OF THE WEEK. Briere at $6.5 is my least fav contract, followed by Jones and Carle, the rest are all OK in my book.

Gagne, Richards, Carter are all great deals for us.

Old
08-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Haha, only six posts and this is turning into "at least our contacts are better than the Rangers".

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:56 AM
IrishSniper87

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am The Mush View Post
Haha, only six posts and this is turning into "at least our contacts are better than the Rangers".
True, but if I'm a Ranger fan, I'm not happy right now.

However, as a Flyers fan, I LOVE IT.

I'd drop Briere for Lundqvist in a heartbeat though.

Old
08-05-2009, 11:59 AM
Claude Giroux

I don't know, 34 and he's never won anything...

Plus he's been with 5 different teams since the lockout.

Claude Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
Thank god for the Rangers or we'd be in even worse cap shape than we are now.

Old
08-05-2009, 12:02 PM
Pierrot

Mr Paul Holmgren reads the HF hockey board.....!!

Pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 12:09 PM
Shadow Flyer
Why So Serious?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierrot View Post
Mr Paul Holmgren reads the HF hockey board.....!!
He should be reading the manual titled "How to deal with the salary cap and trade dead weight such as Randy Jones".

*Grins*

Old
08-05-2009, 12:10 PM
mja
Negative Creep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
I don't know, 34 and he's never won anything...

Plus he's been with 5 different teams since the lockout.
Public crucifixion tends to be a difficult thing to get over.

That said, if he came cheap I wouldn't mind giving him a shot.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 12:25 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Very big "meh" on this one. While Bertuzzi might be a good fit offensively, I have questions about him defensively at this juncture.

I also think another thing to consider is this team's reputation with officials. I mean, we all like to complain about how we're treated unfairly, but the fact is that we have a reputation which is naturally going to jade officials against us. Then you add in that we've brought in Laperriere and 2 fighters in OKT and Carcillo within the past 6 months plus Pronger.

If we signed Bertuzzi, we're going to be a team that would ice Asham, Pronger, Hartnell, Bertuzzi, Carcillo, Emery, and Laperriere on a nightly basis with the possibility of Cote and OKT as well.

Do you guys think we're getting any kind of breaks from officials with that kind of lineup? Like it or not, that's something that has to be considered especially considering that at best, we're an average ES team.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 12:28 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
The Rangers suck. Redden at $6.5? Rosival at $5? Injury prone Gaborik at $7.5?

Yikes, and they complain about our contracts. I'd take Timonen and Pronger at $6.33 and 6.25 respectively ANYDAY OF THE WEEK. Briere at $6.5 is my least fav contract, followed by Jones and Carle, the rest are all OK in my book.

Gagne, Richards, Carter are all great deals for us.
haha both our top 10 D men make less than wade redden

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 12:30 PM
Snap Wilson

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Very big "meh" on this one. While Bertuzzi might be a good fit offensively, I have questions about him defensively at this juncture.
He sucks defensively. Hopefully that clears up any questions you may have.

Snap Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 12:31 PM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
Bertuzzi is not what this team needs.

a big NO from me

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 12:32 PM
chaosof99*

If he costs more than 1 million I am not interested. I think he's a ticking time bomb and I don't really want him on the team.

chaosof99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 12:34 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

I believe that Snider has once again reached the point where he feels a de-wussification of the Flyers was in order... I suppose that it began with the selection of Holmgren as the GM and, except for a very few players such as Briere, a return to size, toughness and grit has been the edict.

It may very well have been in the backs of the minds of the NHL powers that be, a couple seasons back when they started slapping the Flyers wrists whenever the chance arose... Undaunted, Snider may have upped the ante and instructed Homer bring back the Bullies, and most every move now has added size and muscle and edge and Room presence.

Carcillo replaced Upshall as an agitator and brought in a meaner and tougher edge... Lappy was brought in to add muscle and a locker room accountability... And most importantly, Pronger was obtained while moving Lupul.

The moves started much earlier though as Asham was signed and before that a hard-nosed winger with edge was obtained and signed in Hartnell... Also, the smallish Timonen who plays much bigger than he is was also signed; he too plays with an edge.

The draft has lately had an edge to it with Marshall and Sbisa being selected, and the big bodied JvR.

Razor Emery, a goalie with a Hextall edge and mentality was signed... Cote was extended and another hard nosed smaller player in Powe was used... One of Homer's earliest big moves was a large Coburn being traded for, as last season Alberts was also brought in... The latest move in Tollefsen only continues the trend.

This is of course on top of the huge hearted Richards, who play very big... the big bodied Carter, who has his rough moments and the young Ryan Parent who is another big body... And all this after a short lived attempt to vary from the past Flyers MO of always, when possible, draft/trade/sign big players over small players.

Which brings us to Bertuzzi... Assuming that the Flyers are not fearing being reproached for a return to the rock 'em/sock 'em Bullies style of hockey that served them so well when they won two Cups and went to the Finals six times in dozen or so years... I believe that all indications point to Homer seeking to sign Bert, with Mr. Snider's full blessings.

Personally I look for an interesting upcoming season full of NHL interventions and overused penalty killers... I look for games lasting long and other teams' players catching the Flyers Flu as the Big House again becomes a house of horrors... and the 'I told you so' cries from around the Hockey World... followed by the statement that a leopard can never change his spots. I fully await Bert to be brought in and Raitis Ivanans to be obtained from the Kings... And may God have mercy on our immortal souls.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 12:35 PM
mikedifr

Quote:
He should be reading the manual titled "How to deal with the salary cap and trade dead weight such as Randy Jones".

*Grins*

Quote:

I also think another thing to consider is this team's reputation with officials. I mean, we all like to complain about how we're treated unfairly, but the fact is that we have a reputation which is naturally going to jade officials against us. Then you add in that we've brought in Laperriere and 2 fighters in OKT and Carcillo within the past 6 months plus Pronger.

If we signed Bertuzzi, we're going to be a team that would ice Asham, Pronger, Hartnell, Bertuzzi, Carcillo, Emery, and Laperriere on a nightly basis with the possibility of Cote and OKT as well.

Do you guys think we're getting any kind of breaks from officials with that kind of lineup? Like it or not, that's something that has to be considered especially considering that at best, we're an average ES team.
Well, hopefully Stevens grows a FEW brain cells and is able to utilize the addition of Pronger and someone like a Bertuzzi to improve that even strength play....I am not holding my breath though.

As far as Bertuzzi, I am perfectly fine with it...Always liked him as a player. He is a huge guy with great hands, we need another skilled big guy.....I am not worried about the reputation thing, Bertuzzi isnt the same kind of player as those other guys, at least not at this point in his career....He is brining skill. I would LOVE to see im next to Hartnell/Carter...LOVE IT

The only reason I dont want to put him with Richards/Gagne is because I think basically anyone can play with those two and look better than they are....Lets maximize what we get out of someone like Carcillo, Pyro, etc. by putting them with Richards and Gagne.

mikedifr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 12:38 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja View Post
Public crucifixion tends to be a difficult thing to get over.

That said, if he came cheap I wouldn't mind giving him a shot.
Sometimes crucifictions, or lynchings are totally justified... Just sayin'.

Old
08-05-2009, 12:39 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snap Wilson View Post
He sucks defensively. Hopefully that clears up any questions you may have.
Haha, I was trying to be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr
Well, hopefully Stevens grows a FEW brain cells and is able to utilize the addition of Pronger and someone like a Bertuzzi to improve that even strength play....I am not holding my breath though.

As far as Bertuzzi, I am perfectly fine with it...Always liked him as a player. He is a huge guy with great hands, we need another skilled big guy.....I am not worried about the reputation thing, Bertuzzi isnt the same kind of player as those other guys, at least not at this point in his career....He is brining skill. I would LOVE to see im next to Hartnell/Carter...LOVE IT

The only reason I dont want to put him with Richards/Gagne is because I think basically anyone can play with those two and look better than they are....Lets maximize what we get out of someone like Carcillo, Pyro, etc. by putting them with Richards and Gagne.
Well, as Snap Wilson has nicely pointed out for us, he sucks defensively, so that rules him out of the Richie-Gagne line most likely.

I think you and I differ on how to set up the team, I don't want Lappy, Pyorala, or Carcillo anywhere near the top-6.

I mean, this team is just crying out so hard for a decent 3rd line C.

Gagne-Richards-Giroux
Carter-Hartnell-Briere
Lappy-XXXXX-Pyorala
Carcillo-Powe-Asham

That is a freaking awesome set of forwards if you plug in a Moore/Malhotra/whatever.

I'd actually be comfortable giving that 4th line 7-8 minutes as a bang line to soften up other teams, assuming Pyorala works out defensively and we get that good defensive C, that becomes a line we can play against other teams' top-6.

Why doesn't the organization see this?

Old
08-05-2009, 12:41 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:

As I alluded to in my post above... the trend has already been re-established... And I believe that it has the blessings from the top.

Last edited by Sawdalite: 08-05-2009 at 12:46 PM.
Old
08-05-2009, 12:43 PM
FlyHigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersJunky View Post
As I alluded to in my above... the trend has already been re-established... And I believe that it has the blessings from the top.
Yeah, it's just so, so, so stupid.

For better or worse, the NHL has made it clear that it doesn't particularly like teams like the Flyers or the Ducks, so what do the Flyers do, they go and get even more goons/very physical players.

Just awesome, we could set a record for times shorthanded this year and simultaneously have a record for fewest PP chances.

That would be fun.