HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Steve Ott

Old
08-05-2009, 10:05 AM
Modo
Mo'Benn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely06 View Post
Here we go again with the "Whoa is me" stuff. Why do you insist on banging this drum over and over again?
Hate to be a stickler for spelling, but the word I think you're looking for is "woe".

08-05-2009, 10:59 AM
Dominic Roussel
Adios HF

vCash: 970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Hate to be a stickler for spelling, but the word I think you're looking for is "woe".
Seems as though he may have been channeling a little Keanu Reeves.

Dominic Roussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:05 AM
WreckItRask

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modo View Post
Wasn't sure and I was too lazy to google it before posting. Figured the spelling was enough for people to get the gist of it.

But seriously, and I'll let him speak for himself, but why does the Knee Seeking Scud insist on crying about the injustices towards Stars players? I just fail to see this great prejudice that apparently permeates this board towards the Stars.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 01:16 PM
LordHelmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neely06 View Post
But to completely ignore how he is perceived around the league by both other players and fanbases is just being myopic. He and Pronger tied in an SI poll of 324 NHL players that asked who the dirtiest players in the NHL were just this past season. He's a cheap *****, he's not very well liked around the league, and he's the type of guy that you probably don't care for unless he's on your team. So go ahead and defend him because that's what fans are supposed to do, but don't get upset when people call him out for being what he is.
I take issue with this.. Ott talks. He's smart, quick witted, and drives opponents nuts. He'll look for an opportunity to get a solid hit on a skill player. He'll throw a hit that's a split second later than most, but not so late as to draw a penalty. He'll crosscheck & cause trouble in the crease. All of that is certainly agitating, annoying, and troublemaking.. but none of that is dirty.

Dirty is spearing, head butting, elbowing, stomping, slashing to vulnerable parts, instigating against non-fighters, etc... Trust me, you'll have a hard time finding examples of Ott doing any of that.

Quote:
But he's been suspended twice!
His first suspension was a high hit on Leopold. In the game, the officials didn't call a penalty and Leopold didn't miss a shift. The league came in a day after and hit him for 3 games.

His second (the supposed eye gouge against Moen) was only a suspension because Dallas had back-to-back games and the league didn't have time to review & rule. The league basically admitted that the suspension wouldn't have happened if they could've reviewed it before Dallas' next game. Even Moen eventually came out & said that the officials got the penalty wrong.

The only other incident I can think of was a game in Dallas against Ottawa a few years back. He nailed their left D-men at the point. Knocked the guy out of the game. The call was charging & Ott got a game, but no suspension.

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 02:13 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndBoards View Post
His first suspension was a high hit on Leopold. In the game, the officials didn't call a penalty and Leopold didn't miss a shift. The league came in a day after and hit him for 3 games.
Leopold did not play another shift in the game, and he missed the next 5 games with a "head injury". I'm a Steve Ott fan, but this suspension was warranted.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 02:26 PM
Ursamajor4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
I would say Ott is equal in terms of physicality with Lucic.

Burrows isn`t nearly as physical but so far has put up the most goals in a season of the three, and is probably the most annoying to play against.
ridiculous statement.

Ursamajor4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 02:31 PM
Ursamajor4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knee Seeking Scud View Post
Same can be said for most of the Dallas team!
lol , what have you been smoking??!! you have been posting nothing but homer BS this whole thread. You are ridiculous.

Ursamajor4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 02:38 PM
Dominic Roussel
Adios HF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ursamajor4life View Post
lol , what have you been smoking??!! you have been posting nothing but homer BS this whole thread. You are ridiculous.
I thought you were aware that is his shtick. Well now you know.

Old
08-05-2009, 02:54 PM
LordHelmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Leopold did not play another shift in the game, and he missed the next 5 games with a "head injury". I'm a Steve Ott fan, but this suspension was warranted.
You are correct. I misread one of the articles I googled..

LordHelmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 04:22 PM
ScubaSteve*

Ott is certainly annoying, but I agree that he is not a dirty player.

He's definitely not the smartest player though. His boneheaded penalties have cost us plenty of games.

ScubaSteve* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 05:14 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeShizzle View Post
I thought you were aware that is his shtick. Well now you know.
We don't all feel like Scud. I'm not sure where the bias is.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Ott isn't a dirty player, but he can be an out-of-control player at times. He's been much better as he's matured about reigning in the ornery streak, but there are games where he can be trying to do so much that he wanders over into the high hit, elbows up territory. Generally, his m.o. is a hit that's a half-a-beat late and yapping the whole time. He also likes stickwork. There's a great clip from the 08 series against the Sharks where the players are standing around at the benches during a break and Ott's stick wanders up and pokes a Shark under the nose, just easy enough that it could be an accident. He doesn't specialize in the truly dangerous, but the guaranteed-to-be irritating.

What's impressed me about him (and I'm one of the Dallas fans who's thought he was a good pick for several years and that he was more misused than one-dimensional) is that he's gone through an on-ice maturity in the past couple of years in terms of his decision making. The broken hand definitely helped, as that physically kept him from fighting, but he's also taking himself out of position less for hits, not stirring things up at the wrong time anymore and generally eliminating the elements of the agitating game that come back to bite teams.

As far as him and Lucic, it's impossible to compare career trends because Ott did not play up the lineup until the past two seasons. I don't get to see Lucic enough to make a real judgment, though of the dirty plays I've seen from the two players, Lucic's crosscheck to a Habs' player's head in the playoffs is by far the dirtiest from either of them.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 06:10 PM
PsychoDad

Don't remember Ott's name on the preliminary team canada olympic roster... But I do remember Lucic's

PsychoDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Dominic Roussel
Adios HF

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsychoDad View Post
Don't remember Ott's name on the preliminary team canada olympic roster... But I do remember Lucic's
Well if he makes it, just pray he doesn't get hurt, otherwise he won't be getting paid, lol.

Old
08-05-2009, 08:15 PM
SenatorArmy*

vCash: 1568
Send a message via MSN to SenatorArmy* Send a message via Yahoo to SenatorArmy*
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeShizzle View Post
Well if he makes it, just pray he doesn't get hurt, otherwise he won't be getting paid, lol.
yeah what a sucker lol

SenatorArmy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 08:54 PM
Dominic Roussel
Adios HF

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenatorArmy View Post
yeah what a sucker lol
Sorry, I know it's a bit off topic, but I think it's ridiculous that the NHL is doing that.