HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Holzer & Komarov rights status?

Old
08-05-2009, 10:46 AM
LTL

vCash: 500
Holzer & Komarov rights status?

Just perusing the previous drafts and wondered if we've ever offered a contract to Korbinian Holzer & Leo Komarov to retain their rights?

Both were drafted in 2006.

Quote:
# European Players - Prior to 2005, NHL teams retained the rights to a European player until that player turned 31. Drafted Europeans must now be signed within two years, the same as North Americans, or the team loses the rights to the player.
# NCAA Players - As of 2004, 18-year-old players from NCAA Division I schools can be drafted and retain their college eligibility as long as they don't play for a pro team or hire an agent. In previous years, an 18-year-old who opted into the draft lost his NCAA eligibility.
# Compensatory Picks - As of 2005, a team that loses a veteran player as an unrestricted free agent is no longer awarded a compensatory pick in a future draft.
# A Shorter Draft - The draft was reduced from nine to seven rounds as of 2005.

Link

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 10:54 AM
mooseOAK*

Per Holzer, he has signed a contract with the Leafs.

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate...rUrl=Translate

mooseOAK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:02 AM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseOAK View Post

Was it a tryout contract or an actual contract?

Old
08-05-2009, 11:06 AM
LTL

Can't find anything on him.

At the transactions website:
  • 2006-06-24 Maple Leafs two 2006 fourth round picks (#99-James Reimer) (#111-Korbinian Holzer) 2006 third round pick (#76-Tony Lagerstrom) trade with Blackhawks
  • 2006-06-24 Maple Leafs Korbinian Holzer fourth round pick (#111 overall)
  • 2007-09-11 Maple Leafs Korbinian Holzer returned to Duesledorf of the German Elite League

Old
08-05-2009, 11:09 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTL View Post
Was it a tryout contract or an actual contract?
I don't know of any other option than the entry level deal for a player of his age. Leafs people like Peter Ihnacak and Dallas Eakins went over last season to track his progress and make sure that the injuries he had were taken care of properly so all evidence points to him being their NHL property.

Old
08-05-2009, 11:12 AM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseOak
I don't know of any other option than the entry level deal for a player of his age. Leafs people like Peter Ihnacak and Dallas Eakins went over last season to track his progress and make sure that the injuries he had were taken care of properly so all evidence points to him being their NHL property.
It seems this grievance hasn't been resolved yet:

Quote:
NHL, NHLPA Square Off Over Rights To Unsigned Euro Draft Picks

Aug 27, 2008 - Former NHLPA Exec Dir Ted Saskin will testify tomorrow for the NHL and against the union in an arbitration hearing concerning the "status of drafted European players who do not sign before June 2 of the second calendar year following their selections," according to Larry Brooks of the N.Y. POST. The NHL's current CBA states that teams "lose their rights to such players if they are not signed on or by that date." The NHL is claiming that the "absence of transfer agreements with European hockey federations renders that portion of the CBA obsolete." The union has filed a grievance challenging that position, and it has also "notified the NHL that it is reserving the right to challenge the league position that the CBA prohibits individual club-negotiated transfer fees" (N.Y. POST, 8/27).

Link

Old
08-05-2009, 11:23 AM
daethfromabove1979

Leo Komarov signed with Moscow Dynamo so i guess we won't be seeing much of him anytime soon

daethfromabove1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:25 AM
LTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by daethfromabove1979 View Post
Leo Komarov signed with Moscow Dynamo so i guess we won't be seeing much of him anytime soon
Good to know. Thx.

Old
08-05-2009, 11:54 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTL View Post
Can't find anything on him.

At the transactions website:
  • 2006-06-24 Maple Leafs two 2006 fourth round picks (#99-James Reimer) (#111-Korbinian Holzer) 2006 third round pick (#76-Tony Lagerstrom) trade with Blackhawks
  • 2006-06-24 Maple Leafs Korbinian Holzer fourth round pick (#111 overall)
  • 2007-09-11 Maple Leafs Korbinian Holzer returned to Duesledorf of the German Elite League
That's a pretty nice trade, two good prospects for a 3rd round pick.

The last one looks to me like he was signed and sent to Dusseldorf.

Old
08-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Shaun_W_W

Quote:

I would like to see him play for the Marlies this year so hopefully they can get something done, Marlies blueline is going to be very big but have no offence.

Shaun_W_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:57 AM
LTL

Quote:
That's a pretty nice trade, two good prospects for a 3rd round pick.

The last one looks to me like he was signed and sent to Dusseldorf.
Damn good trade.

Old
08-05-2009, 01:46 PM
nuck
Axis of Evil

Quote:

I love the babelfish translation

'Therefore it is also important for Holzer to control itself in the duels. Three times he did in this season not, took for its misfires ten-minute punishments and became closed for it. Holzer, which took 89 punishing minutes in 38 employments altogether"

The 89 punishing minutes will definitely make him a Burke favorite He looks interesting. The DEL is such spotty competition you don't know how good he is until he gets here. I think the Germans play a very similar type of game to NA but for the speed. He will be good for Flaake next year.

nuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 02:09 PM
ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
The DEL is such spotty competition you don't know how good he is until he gets here. I think the Germans play a very similar type of game to NA but for the speed.
Whereas I agree about the first part I have to add that the DEL isn't as physical as it once was (which wasn't that physical even then). For comparison, Uwe Krupp, the headcoach of the national team, have a lot of respect for the "physical" game at the World Championships or Olympic Games and tell us how the German players have to prepare for the "thoughness" of the international games. So I wouldn't put to much attention to his pim over here.
Holzer isn't a physical stay-at-home d-man, at least not yet, but he's good in his own zone, I think you can compare him to Staffan Kronwall.

ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 02:11 PM
TruthDeliveryVehicle*

Holzer's deal could be like Kulemin who signed with Toronto with the agreement that he would play one more year at Magnetigorsk before coming over. It's similar to a junior contract like that of Kadri, it only has the weight of a regular contract if he is playing here. My guess is they want to integrate Mikus or Gunnarsson before bringing Holzer over for a shot.

TruthDeliveryVehicle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 02:20 PM
ts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Lee View Post
Holzer's deal could be like Kulemin who signed with Toronto with the agreement that he would play one more year at Magnetigorsk before coming over. It's similar to a junior contract like that of Kadri, it only has the weight of a regular contract if he is playing here. My guess is they want to integrate Mikus or Gunnarsson before bringing Holzer over for a shot.
Which is a good idea IMO, I think both of them have a higher potential, even if Holzer may be the safer bet (by a small margin) compared to Mikus.
And Holzer will get his regular minutes with the DEG Metro Stars, probably not in the speical teams, but he will play.

ts is offline   Reply With Quote