HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flyers interested in Bertuzzi

Old
08-05-2009, 01:44 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Ugh, I'd really rather not.

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 01:45 PM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
i am ambivalent about this guy. he has the potential to pay off big time, but i'm not particularly interested. meh is about as close as i can get to describing how i feel.

LEIFey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 02:19 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedifr View Post

As far as Bertuzzi, I am perfectly fine with it...Always liked him as a player. He is a huge guy with great hands, we need another skilled big guy.....I am not worried about the reputation thing, Bertuzzi isnt the same kind of player as those other guys, at least not at this point in his career....He is brining skill. I would LOVE to see im next to Hartnell/Carter...LOVE IT

The only reason I dont want to put him with Richards/Gagne is because I think basically anyone can play with those two and look better than they are....Lets maximize what we get out of someone like Carcillo, Pyro, etc. by putting them with Richards and Gagne.
Always liked Bertuzzi, and he's still good enough to play in the top lines - from the games I saw last year. If the price is right, he'd be a good addition - better than someone like Prospal or Afinogenov, imho. Sykora is the other guy I've always liked, but I think we need more size at this point.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 02:27 PM
IrishSniper87

I still think Afinogenov would prosper here with competent line-mates, and he could be had cheap.

IrishSniper87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 02:34 PM
Alchemy
Philadelphia Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
I still think Afinogenov would prosper here with competent line-mates, and he could be had cheap.
Too lazy and soft. This guy will have you screaming at the TV screen because of his belief that in hockey there is no back-checking.

Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 02:34 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersJunky View Post
I believe that Snider has once again reached the point where he feels a de-wussification of the Flyers was in order... I suppose that it began with the selection of Holmgren as the GM and, except for a very few players such as Briere, a return to size, toughness and grit has been the edict.

It may very well have been in the backs of the minds of the NHL powers that be, a couple seasons back when they started slapping the Flyers wrists whenever the chance arose... Undaunted, Snider may have upped the ante and instructed Homer bring back the Bullies, and most every move now has added size and muscle and edge and Room presence.

Carcillo replaced Upshall as an agitator and brought in a meaner and tougher edge... Lappy was brought in to add muscle and a locker room accountability... And most importantly, Pronger was obtained while moving Lupul.

The moves started much earlier though as Asham was signed and before that a hard-nosed winger with edge was obtained and signed in Hartnell... Also, the smallish Timonen who plays much bigger than he is was also signed; he too plays with an edge.

The draft has lately had an edge to it with Marshall and Sbisa being selected, and the big bodied JvR.

Razor Emery, a goalie with a Hextall edge and mentality was signed... Cote was extended and another hard nosed smaller player in Powe was used... One of Homer's earliest big moves was a large Coburn being traded for, as last season Alberts was also brought in... The latest move in Tollefsen only continues the trend.

This is of course on top of the huge hearted Richards, who play very big... the big bodied Carter, who has his rough moments and the young Ryan Parent who is another big body... And all this after a short lived attempt to vary from the past Flyers MO of always, when possible, draft/trade/sign big players over small players.

Which brings us to Bertuzzi... Assuming that the Flyers are not fearing being reproached for a return to the rock 'em/sock 'em Bullies style of hockey that served them so well when they won two Cups and went to the Finals six times in dozen or so years... I believe that all indications point to Homer seeking to sign Bert, with Mr. Snider's full blessings.

Personally I look for an interesting upcoming season full of NHL interventions and overused penalty killers... I look for games lasting long and other teams' players catching the Flyers Flu as the Big House again becomes a house of horrors... and the 'I told you so' cries from around the Hockey World... followed by the statement that a leopard can never change his spots. I fully await Bert to be brought in and Raitis Ivanans to be obtained from the Kings... And may God have mercy on our immortal souls.
Good. Let's ****ing do it.

And if they insist on keeping a heavy weight, I'd much prefer Ivanans to Cote. I'd rather our fighters also be able to play (see: Carcillo, Lappy, Asham), but of the two at least Ivanans can win a fight.

This team's skill players have more than enough talent to win, if the Flyers can be nasty too, that would be the ultimate. They were soft last year. Not now.

EDIT: FWIW I'm not especially interested in Bert, just the concept of a reformed "Bullies."

UseYourAllusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 02:38 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by UseYourAllusion View Post
Good. Let's ****ing do it.

And if they insist on keeping a heavy weight, I'd much prefer Ivanans to Cote. I'd rather our fighters also be able to play (see: Carcillo, Lappy, Asham), but of the two at least Ivanans can win a fight.

This team's skill players have more than enough talent to win, if the Flyers can be nasty too, that would be the ultimate. They were soft last year. Not now.
that team last year was way too soft, im all for this new direction they are headed in, and if bert comes cheap Im all for it.

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 02:47 PM
Valhoun*

Send a message via AIM to Valhoun*
Only if he changes his name to Hitler McStabbypants.

Valhoun* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 02:49 PM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Yeah, it's just so, so, so stupid.

For better or worse, the NHL has made it clear that it doesn't particularly like teams like the Flyers or the Ducks, so what do the Flyers do, they go and get even more goons/very physical players.

Just awesome, we could set a record for times shorthanded this year and simultaneously have a record for fewest PP chances.

That would be fun.
This lineup is really going to drive other teams crazy; who's to say that such agitation won't cause the other squad to rack up the pims?

Plus I love the idea of watching the enemy play timid hockey.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 02:54 PM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

I'm all for him replacing Knuble if he comes for 1-1.2mill.

Vikke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 02:56 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valhoun View Post
Only if he changes his name to Hitler McStabbypants.
I love you Val, your posts are the best. I hope you return soon so we can see more of you posting here and so that you get to see more games . Of course the best reasons is to be reunited with oyur family but that goes without saying at being #1 on the list.

Be safe and hopw 2 hear from you again real soon.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 03:04 PM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Orange View Post
I don't know, 34 and he's never won anything...

Plus he's been with 5 different teams since the lockout.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
Too lazy and soft. This guy will have you screaming at the TV screen because of his belief that in hockey there is no back-checking.
Thank God Bertuzzi wasn't offered a deal in Calgary. The guy is still huge and highly skilled (I had no idea he had the sweet hands he does), he's a ridiculously skilled playmaker with a good shot. However, he's extremely one dimensional. He has zero physicality left in his game and is atrocious defensively. Honestly, he is that bad in his own end. Also, his need to keep only one hand on the stick while making constant no-look, spin-o-rama, backhand passes in his own zone are ridiculous. He will score some pretty goals and put a paltry 50 points if he stays healthy but if you want someone to be consistent, competent defensively and work hard, he's not it.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 03:06 PM
phlocky

As far as Big Bert goes, I'd certainly take him at 1.2 mil. Right now we have 2 of Nodl, JVR, Carcillo, Asham and Pyorala pencilled in on the top 6 right now (top 6 beng our 2 scoring lines, Richards line is a shutdown line most likely consisting of Gagne-Richards-Lappy IMO) I really don't like the thoughts of that. Also, we now only have Hartnell as a big body to work the front of the net on the PP, Bert would be EXCELLENT in that regard.

Hartnell-Carter-Pyorala
Bert-Giroux-Briere
Gagne-Richards-Lappy
Carcillo-Powe-Asham

PP#1
Hartnell-Carter-Giroux
Timonen-Pronger

PP#2
Gagne-Briere-Bert
Richards-Carle/Coburn

Personally, I like the looks of this.

phlocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 03:10 PM
seanerixon

Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
Only if he will agree to do what he did to Steve Moore, to Cindy Crosby.

OMGOMGOMG THIS IS SO EXCITING!!!

seanerixon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 03:16 PM
DUHockey9

I am not a huge fan of Bert, but it is an infinitely better option than Sykora or Satan. I can't stand either of those players. If Bert came cheap (like the 1.2 mill suggested...probably coming at the expense of Jones) I'd be alright with it.

I really do want to be a team that our opponents play timidly against; with or without Bert.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 03:31 PM
UseYourAllusion

I don't see many liberties being taken with the Flyer's talent this year.

Old
08-05-2009, 03:33 PM
KimiFerrari
Messi Is God

At 1.2 mill I don't think we can get any better then Bert. I personally do want another high PIM and weak 2way player, but I think he can put up 20-25goals on this team.

He has shown he can play on the top line earlier in his career, so that a plus if a key player goes down.

KimiFerrari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 03:46 PM
ilovetheflyers8

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSeany View Post
Only if he will agree to do what he did to Steve Moore, to Cindy Crosby.

OMGOMGOMG THIS IS SO EXCITING!!!
I wouldn't want that to happen to Crosby or at least I wouldn't want the same results.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 03:47 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by six sigma View Post
This lineup is really going to drive other teams crazy; who's to say that such agitation won't cause the other squad to rack up the pims?

Plus I love the idea of watching the enemy play timid hockey.
The enemy is much more protected by the refs than they were in the 1970s.

A huge problem with this organization (and one that's going to become apparent if it isn't already) is that they're going to think they can intimidate the other team and more specifically, other teams' top players. That's just not going to happen, the first time Lappy or Hartnell slashes Crosby or AO, it's going to be straight to the box.

You can't intimidate the other team if they get 10 PP opportunities per game.

The BSB era of hockey is dead which is something this team refuses to accept and now, we're even trying to go back to that era. This team was already way too undisciplined last year and now we've added Pronger and Laperriere (that's another 250 penalty minutes).

I think your guys' infatuation with the Broad Street Bullies attitude is going to last up until about the 10th game of the season when we're shorthanded 8 or 9 times per game.

I don't believe in conspiracies, but officials are going to look at our lineup and already be predisposed to be harsh on us.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 03:54 PM
kicksave27

Bert, doesn't really throw his weight around anymore, the moore incident wasn't the norm, he's not like downie with a history of violence. He's got size and hands. He's what i hope maroon becomes. And for a year would be viable option till that happens. Sadly not many players with size and skill have the mean streak that lindros did, he just imposed his will on a game. nash, jvr, malkin just don't have it in them. Ovy has the will, but not quite the size.

I bet Val is really going to like that new dirty dozen spoof with brad pitt.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 03:56 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierrot View Post
Mr Paul Holmgren reads the HF hockey board.....!!
Then why hasn't he traded Jones?

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 03:58 PM
UseYourAllusion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd2210 View Post
Then why hasn't he traded Jones?
JXC is very persuasive.

Old
08-05-2009, 04:03 PM
jd2210
Registered Non User

At 1.2 I'd be very pleased. He would be a good stop gap until JVR or Maroon. As far as I'm concerned I'd much rather have him at $1.2 than Knuble at $2.anything or "I score in bunches when I feel like trying" Lupul at $4.way too much

jd2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
I wouldn't want that to happen to Crosby or at least I wouldn't want the same results.
In all seriousness, I wouldn't want to ever again see anything like that in any sport -- or in anyTHING, for that matter -- let alone by a member of a team I support.

It is one thing to joke about making Cyndy uncomfortable... or to see him being hit as Hatcher did a couple seasons back, or Smith laying him out... all during the game, and within the aspect of the game and at least somewhat close to the rules -- meaning that if it is cleanish, but an infraction is whistled, so be it -- and always in the spirtit of the game and in good sportsmanship... Players can game display good sportsmanship while laying a player out in a physical contact sport, such as hockey is. It is another thing entirely to see a player go clearly over the line in an act that was more than likely an out of his mind play -- the entire event was not premeditated, IMO... it was his intention to take a pound of flesh in retaliation, but I don't believe it was meant to go nearly to that extreme. At least I like to believe it wasn't.

Sometimes a player crosses the line and deserves a stiff find and suspension... and other times the act borders on criminal, which I believe the Bertuzzi act was.

I honestly don't like that Bert was allowed to lace the skates up again in the NHL... He was, so we muct all live with the fact. I really am not happy with the chance that he could don O&B... And if he ever again does such an act, I will not give him the support I usually give to one of my own -- while being fair and honest in my assessment -- Another such act should cast him from the league forever, IMO... And make the organization think.

That said, Homer has always been known for giving second chances to people... I assume this can fall under that category... So, with the way this team is presently being constructed/tweaked, I could see him being signed.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 04:13 PM
seanerixon

Send a message via AIM to seanerixon Send a message via MSN to seanerixon Send a message via Yahoo to seanerixon Send a message via Skype™ to seanerixon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
Ehh.. I at least want to see him get hit. I know a lot of people have respect for him in the aspect of hockey.. But seeing him coward behind an NHL official is embarrassing to see in a hockey game, or watching him complain about, well about everything really.

seanerixon is offline   Reply With Quote