HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Jannik Hansen Re-Signed.

Old
08-05-2009, 04:01 PM
hackey

vCash: 500
He signed exactly for what he was worth

A marginal NHL player - gets a two way deal, for just a few dollars over the league minimum.

If he was any better, he would of got more.

hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 04:02 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
I could see the Canucks living to regret this...
This is the most retarded statement I've seen this month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DL44 View Post
There's an understatment.

For a guy that wasn't good enough to crack the lineup on a regular basis last yr, he gets a lot of love.
And by wasn't good enough you mean injured.

He was terrific when healthy, especially when paired up with Kesler and Burrows.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 04:03 PM
Laterade

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger18 View Post
Hansen is not going to make the Canucks starting roster and he will never be more than an injury fill in.

I have never seen a player who cant even make his respective club, get so much sunshine blown up his behind as Hansen does around here in my life.
Someone has a grudge against Danish people.

Laterade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 04:11 PM
digger18

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post
It's the oldest retort to being wrong.
The "Oh fine, I'm wrong, I never cared about the topic anyway" defense.

Wouldn't bother debating the usefulness of Hansen. We all know to succeed in this league you need guys like Hansen to play better than he's paid.
I admitted that I was wrong, which is a hell of a lot more than quite a few posters around here are man enough to do. You may think I resorted to the "oldest resort to being wrong" trick. However the fact is that I have never thought Hansen was anything special anyway (check my posting history on him).

So why would I care about the fact that he might get plucked off the waiver wire by another team? Hopefully for Hansen's sake, it's a team like Atlanta who claims him, Then he might actually be able to crack the lineup.....

digger18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 04:13 PM
digger18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laterade View Post
Someone has a grudge against Danish people.
Yes lets turn this into a birthplace issue

digger18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 04:54 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedberg View Post
Because waivers have to do with pro experience, not 1-way/2-way deals.
Yup - 1 way or 2 way mean nothing on down waivers. They CAN have an effect of recall waivers in very limited circumstances depending upon the AHL salary component.

It is a function of age at signing the first contract and number of NHL games played. As Hansen was 20 when signed it is the lesser of 3 years (completed ELC) or 160 games. He has completed 3 seasons so he must clear waivers.
http://www.nhlscap.com/waivers.htm

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 05:05 PM
shortshorts
The OG Kesler Hater

So does anyone know whether its 1way or 2way?

shortshorts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 05:05 PM
Pascha

I like Hansen, he has potential. The "regret" on this deal would be if he has a breakout season and we didn't give him a multi-year.

It's a 2-way deal, not that it matters. He'll be on the roster, likely, and eligible for waivers due to his age and pro experience. There's no way he passes through waivers.

Pascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 05:08 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

Why are so many people down on Hansen?

He's got very solid AHL and NHL numbers, while being way down in mins/game. 18 Take-aways V 12 Give-aways, +5, good PK stats...

He's not a superstar but the numbers indicate he's a very decent NHLer, not a "fringe NHLer" alot of people are labelling him as.

Also he's only 23...

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 05:13 PM
Frisch

I really hope that Jannik doesn't read this board (Sarcasme)

Statement from Jannik

" I'm happy that things are settled, as I really like this club and what it has done for me. I will keep pushing to do my best."

Frisch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

Hansen is so under-rated

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 06:11 PM
adamzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
Hansen is so under-rated

I don't think he's underrated or overrated.

There are some who think he's a fringe NHL'er even though he had 21 points in 55 games with minimal ice time in his rookie campaign, but I think most people figure he's a valuable player to any roster. He probably won't be a superstar, but he'll be there to provide solid secondary scoring and energy.

To me, he's a Matt Cooke type without the stuff you hate about him, like the turtling (hopefully, as he's still young).

adamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 06:13 PM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

I just don't wanna have to come in here and drop science on the Hansen nay-sayers like I do every time this idiotic debate comes up which has happened at least twice already this off-season.

Last edited by Balls Mahoney: 08-05-2009 at 06:22 PM.
Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 06:14 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamzilla View Post
I don't think he's underrated or overrated.

There are some who think he's a fringe NHL'er even though he had 21 points in 55 games with minimal ice time in his rookie campaign, but I think most people figure he's a valuable player to any roster. He probably won't be a superstar, but he'll be there to provide solid secondary scoring and energy.
Wouldn't that mean he's underrated? Noone is predicting that he'll be a superstar, even the biggest optimists. Yet some people are treating him like a fringe NHLer.

Before he got injured, Hansen was no less impressive than any one of Raymond, Wellwood, Bernier, or Pyatt, and while these guys are all considered definite 3rd liners (well not so much Pyatt) with a shot at improving to second liners (each considered to have guaranteed spots on the team), Hansen is considered by many to be a 4th liner/occasional scratch/fringe NHLer who will have to fight tooth and nail to make the club next year..... just because he was bad when he got back from the injury.... and look, he's making nearly a THIRD of their money as well and people only seem to think it's "fair".

He's very underrated. IMO, he's already close to a capable 30-40 point guy with strong defense, strong work ethic/professionalism, top end speed, and more strength/guts than Raymond (not to mention chemistry).. How can people consider him a fringe player? He may not have superstar potential, but there's definitely potential for him to be a top-end 40-50 point 3rd liner or bottom end 2nd liner.

I almost feel like some people hate on him because people seem to LIKE him (not necessarily because people think he's good) more than the others.

Last edited by Shareefruck: 08-05-2009 at 06:25 PM.
Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 06:19 PM
Meganuck*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
Hansen is so under-rated

LOL... I'm making my Avatar already.

Meganuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 06:23 PM
adamzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonShaReeFruck View Post
Wouldn't that mean he's underrated? Noone is predicting that he'll be a superstar, even the biggest optimists. Yet some people are treating him like a fringe NHLer.

Before he got injured, Hansen was no less impressive than any one of Raymond, Wellwood, Bernier, or Pyatt, and while these guys are all considered definite 3rd liners with a shot at improving to second liners (each considered to have guaranteed spots on the team), Hansen is considered by many to be a 4th liner/occasional scratch/fringe NHLer who will have to fight tooth and nail to make the club next year..... just because he was bad when he got back from the injury.

He's very underrated. IMO, he's already close to a capable 30-40 point guy with strong defense, strong work ethic/professionalism, top end speed, and more strength/guts than Raymond (not to mention chemistry).. How can people consider him a fringe player? He may not have superstar potential, but there's definitely potential for him to be a top-end 40-50 point 3rd liner or bottom end 2nd liner.

I almost feel like some people hate on him because people seem to LIKE him (not necessarily because people think he's good) more than the others.
Yea, I guess you're right, he's underrated by some.

adamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 06:27 PM
KDizzle

Quote:
I admitted that I was wrong, which is a hell of a lot more than quite a few posters around here are man enough to do. You may think I resorted to the "oldest resort to being wrong" trick. However the fact is that I have never thought Hansen was anything special anyway (check my posting history on him).

So why would I care about the fact that he might get plucked off the waiver wire by another team? Hopefully for Hansen's sake, it's a team like Atlanta who claims him, Then he might actually be able to crack the lineup.....
You know what, you're right. I did miss the context of the post and it came off as you just trying to brush off being wrong.
You just have a hate-on for Hansen.

That's fine by me, no point trying to convince you Hansen is all that based on so little games played.

But I will say that most people are high on Hansen because of his meteoric rise from being nearly the last pick in the NHL draft to playing in the NHL. Extrapolation of that progress curve alone could explain people being high on this kid. However, it comes down to what we've seen from him in terms of his 2-way play. He's not going to be a sniper, but he could develop into a solid 3rd liner who can pot some points as well. A guy like that for that cheap is what you need to win in a salary cap world and this is why people are hyping him up, much to your chagrin.

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 06:28 PM
nucks_07

i was pissed av only put hansen in for 1 game in the playoffs and in that one game he looked to be back to his 1st half self. just dominating the forecheck beating everybody to the puck every dump in

nucks_07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 06:49 PM
DL44

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
And by wasn't good enough you mean injured.

He was terrific when healthy, especially when paired up with Kesler and Burrows.
No, by 'wasn't good enough' I was referring to how inconsistent he played last season. Ineffective and invisible many nights. Failed to earn ice time... and many times failed to earn a roster spot.

To assess Hansen's play last season as "terrific" is definitely exaggerated. Especially if you're referring to just the one month sample size of games prior to his end of Oct injury.... 1 month of 'terrific' play? (maybe you're referring to another injury, because i don't recall any other significant injury.... help me out if i'm wrong)

Now maybe you mean terrific relative to expectations? or terrific relative to Cowan? or another relative comparison....

Don't get me wrong... I love having Hansen on this team and hope he can turn into a Burrows-type (or Alfredsson-type ) player.... i love the contract, and the depth this gives us. But i still think he has A LOT to prove. And he has to have a great camp to show he's taken another step in his development. Game winner against the Blues last yr was great.. but he was a bloody yo yo last yr..

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 07:07 PM
dhabums*

Quote:
ok...you got me. I could care less if he gets plucked off waivers anyway.
You could care less? How much less?

dhabums* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 07:16 PM
FruityPants3*

Maybe this frees up Raymond to get moved. He's probably the 'sexier' asset, but if I had to choose I'd want to keep Hansen.

FruityPants3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 07:39 PM
Andy Dufresne

Quote:
Hansen is not going to make the Canucks starting roster and he will never be more than an injury fill in.

I have never seen a player who cant even make his respective club, get so much sunshine blown up his behind as Hansen does around here in my life.
Hansen already made the Canucks starting roster last year. Did you start watching the Canucks in February or something???

Up until about Christmas: Burrows, Kesler, Hansen were the only line that wasn't "juggled". By that time the Sedins had already had at least 4 different wingers.The 2cnd and 4th lines were being changed constantly starting a couple weeks into the season.

I'll say it again. We only have too many forwards if no-one gets injured. Demitra's already injured.
Great signing. Same money as Rypien- barely more than league minimum if i'm not mistaken.

Andy Dufresne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Andy Dufresne

Quote:
Originally Posted by nucks_07 View Post
i was pissed av only put hansen in for 1 game in the playoffs and in that one game he looked to be back to his 1st half self. just dominating the forecheck beating everybody to the puck every dump in
Actually he played 2 and didn't look good in the first one. I agree with your take on his 2cnd game completely. He was scratched again when Pyatt came back. Pretty hard to keep a guy out of the line-up when he lost his spot due to his fiance dying.

Andy Dufresne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 07:50 PM
Luceni

So this signing will be the tombstone for Grabner. He will stay in Manitoba again for another season if no one gets injured. And even then it's not a sure thing if Grabner gets the callup.

I really hope the Canucks trade him. My guess is that he won't see any NHL Ice-time with the canucks this season. This must be frustrating for him. If he was in another any other NHL franchise, he would already have seen some NHL time.

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 08:10 PM
tantalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
So this signing will be the tombstone for Grabner. He will stay in Manitoba again for another season if no one gets injured. And even then it's not a sure thing if Grabner gets the callup.

I really hope the Canucks trade him. My guess is that he won't see any NHL Ice-time with the canucks this season. This must be frustrating for him. If he was in another any other NHL franchise, he would already have seen some NHL time.
I don't think it means that at all. If Grabner out competes someone for a roster spot he'll get that roster spot. No player will simply be handed a roster spot because they are waiver eligible or not. The exception to be handed a roster spot MAY be Hodgson if they don't think his game will progress with another year in the OHL and that his game is better served spending time in the NHL (AHL not an option).

All told, one of Grabner, Hansen, Raymond, or Wellwood may very well be wearing different colours by the time training camp breaks and rosters have to be finalized. I don't think Gillis or AV knows who that guy might be at this time.

tantalum is offline   Reply With Quote