HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dump and Chase

Old
08-05-2009, 04:06 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Everyone complained about not having enough guys on the team that could gain the zone...

Now we are complaining about the guys who were able to gain the zone, and claiming an extinct style of play is great?

Got news for you, puck possession teams do not dump and chase.

Dumping the puck is essentially giving the other team the puck.

And since when can't Gaborik, Dubinsky, Higgins, and Drury gain the zone WITH the puck?

Dump and chase worked for the Oilers in the 80's.

There is a premium on defensemen who can quickly handle the puck and move it... aka "puck moving" defensemen. You don't give the puck to the other team.
Thats not true at all. It really depends on how linemates gel with one another. I can see a Dubinsky-Gaborik tandem transporting the puck through the nuetral zone, but most of our other forwards seem better suited for a dump and chase type of game.

To say puck possession teams dont dump and chase is completely wrong. Torts is famous for instituting a ferocious forecheck that will create turnovers and lead to puck possession in the opposition's zone.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 04:25 PM
94now

Good ole Dump and Chase has been re-named Active Forechecking as of late. Different name.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 04:36 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Nah...puck moving...possesion hockey...is what this team will play. Not the dump and chase. Obviously you'll see it from the 4th line and sometimes 3rd line.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 05:21 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Thats not true at all. It really depends on how linemates gel with one another. I can see a Dubinsky-Gaborik tandem transporting the puck through the nuetral zone, but most of our other forwards seem better suited for a dump and chase type of game.

To say puck possession teams dont dump and chase is completely wrong. Torts is famous for instituting a ferocious forecheck that will create turnovers and lead to puck possession in the opposition's zone.
I just don't see it.

I never liked the dump and chase game.

IMO it is counter productive to work for the puck just to give it back.

Especially if you don't have the size and/or speed to get it.

Having Gaborik on the first line should really negate the need for a dump and chase.

I just don't see this team with the characteristics to do it successfully.

Can you picture Kotalik, Drury, and Callahan winning a battle against Pronger? I can't.

I have a little faith that Tortorella will find a style that suits the roster. But i don't feel it will be a dump and chase strategy, unless it is late in the game.

But that is me, and how i feel about dump and chase. I don't like it.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 05:23 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
I just don't see it.

Having Gaborik on the first line should really negate the need for a dump and chase.

Can you picture Kotalik, Drury, and Callahan winning a battle against Pronger? I can't.

I have a little faith that Tortorella will find a style that suits the roster. But i don't feel it will be a dump and chase strategy, unless it is late in the game.

I'm with you. I don't like it one bit.

Old
08-05-2009, 11:05 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:
I just don't see it.

I pretty much agree with what you, hp, chosen, & others feel regarding this style. And I don't think Tortorella will commit heavily to it.

I will say though that if you look at the rest of the Atlantic division, other than Pronger what other players on defense do/should the Rangers or any team be concerned about in regards to winning battles consistently against?

I might be drawing a blank but the only guy that comes to mind right off the top in terms of sheer size is Colin White and well...don't make me laugh.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:27 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWayBShirt View Post
I pretty much agree with what you, hp, chosen, & others feel regarding this style. And I don't think Tortorella will commit heavily to it.

I will say though that if you look at the rest of the Atlantic division, other than Pronger what other players on defense do/should the Rangers or any team be concerned about in regards to winning battles consistently against?

I might be drawing a blank but the only guy that comes to mind right off the top in terms of sheer size is Colin White and well...don't make me laugh.
Witt, Pronger, Orpik...I Guess you can throw in Andy Sutton from the Island too.

But you're right. pronger does Stand alone when it comes to "winning battles"...followed closely by Witt.

Old
08-05-2009, 11:31 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWayBShirt View Post

It's not only defensemen with size.

It's defensemen who can handle the puck and move it quickly.

You can't play a dump and chase regularly in this league the way teams transition quickly. Really good teams WANT you to dump it. They'll take the puck for free, why not.

I prefer having guys who can gain the zone and look for a play.

Besides that, typically a dump and chase is more a defensive style of attack. One forward has to stay high in the event the other team turns the puck up quickly, and chances are they will. That leaves two guys at least trapped in their zone.

I just don't like dump and chase. Personal preference.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:33 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:

You can't play a dump and chase regularly in this league the way teams transition quickly. Really good teams WANT you to dump it. They'll take the puck for free, why not.

Besides that, typically a dump and chase is more a defensive style of attack. One forward has to stay high in the event the other team turns the puck up quickly, and chances are they will. That leaves two guys at least trapped in their zone.

Dumb(lol) and chase is implimented by teams who lack offensive talent/capabilities. Hence Renney's Rangers of last season.

Old
08-05-2009, 11:38 PM
BwayBshirt

Quote:

Again SM, I agree. Believe me I agree.

The only point I'm making is, if the Rangers really wanted to commit to this style (which I don't think they will to begin with) they theoretically could & might be able to get away with it.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote