HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Jannik Hansen Re-Signed.

Old
08-05-2009, 08:12 PM
Tb0ne

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Tb0ne
Great signing.

If Grabner makes the team Gillis should seriously considering moving/waiving/buyingout Demitra. This team can't afford to go into next season having lost young players for nothing on the waiver wire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger18 View Post
Hansen is not going to make the Canucks starting roster and he will never be more than an injury fill in.

I have never seen a player who cant even make his respective club, get so much sunshine blown up his behind as Hansen does around here in my life.
He did make the team though. He was injured part way into the season and when he finally returned he was held out of the lineup because the team was rolling.

As for your suggestion that Hansen will never be anything more than an injury fill-in I think we'll be seeing that comment on the list of quotes highlighting people wildly underestimating the potential of Canucks players sooner rather than later. Here are some examples:

-Trade the Sedins for a bag of pucks because it's clear they will never be anything more than third liners.
-Burrows is a borderline NHL player at best.
-Kesler will never score more than 20 goals.
-Wellwood is a waste of space who will never amount to anything.
-Edler isn't getting regular minutes on Sweden's WJC team, bust.

Tb0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 08:13 PM
Dirkph
Mancrush = Malhotra

Quote:
Originally Posted by parabola View Post
How on earth can anyone complain about this contract?
You can't. Gillis won this one.

I expect Hansen will be fighting for his life for a roster spot this year. Should be interesting to see how he reacts when his back is up against the wall.

Dirkph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 09:47 PM
Brenton Williams

God, I'm gonna be sick. Poor Hansen. Watch as he works his butt off in Manitoba while Hordichuk takes up his fourth line roster spot.

Brenton Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 09:50 PM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tb0ne View Post
-Trade the Sedins for a bag of pucks because it's clear they will never be anything more than third liners.
-Burrows is a borderline NHL player at best.
-Kesler will never score more than 20 goals.
-Wellwood is a waste of space who will never amount to anything.
-Edler isn't getting regular minutes on Sweden's WJC team, bust.
That horse hasn't crossed the finish line yet.

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 10:04 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
That horse hasn't crossed the finish line yet.
When you score 18 goals, you're not a waste of space

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 10:05 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristopherJ View Post
God, I'm gonna be sick. Poor Hansen. Watch as he works his butt off in Manitoba while Hordichuk takes up his fourth line roster spot.
They'll likely both be on the roster. Unless it's for a conditioning stint, there's no way Hansen is in Manitoba.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 10:23 PM
CrosbyCrosby*

enforcers are useless.

CrosbyCrosby* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 10:44 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrosbyCrosby View Post
enforcers are useless.
Hordichuk's an ideal guy to keep as a spare. Why are people complaining about him? He's not taking up much cap space.. It's not like he has to occupy someone else's spot.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 10:51 PM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

Hordichuk is actually a damn good 4th line player. Why do you people want to get rid of him? He's solid defensively and can eat up ten minutes a night while bringing a swagger this team needs. Hordichuk can go with heavies (although he's no SOB) and oh yeah, he's clutch.

Old
08-06-2009, 12:07 AM
galiano

Quote:
Hansen is not going to make the Canucks starting roster and he will never be more than an injury fill in.

I have never seen a player who cant even make his respective club, get so much sunshine blown up his behind as Hansen does around here in my life.

You ever seen him play ??

galiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 12:13 AM
CCF23

Send a message via MSN to CCF23
Preseason this year should be a lot more fun than it has been in the past few. There's a LOT more competition for spots amongst the forwards this year.

CCF23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 12:24 AM
Pascha

Quote:
He has to clear waivers to go to Manitoba, and it is almost a sure bet that someone would claim him if they tried it.

Pascha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 12:44 AM
orcatown

You have to have people like Hordichuk in your lineup. You can't fill up your lineups with Wellwood, Hodgson, Hansen, Johnson, Raymond, Demitra etc. and not be too small. Look at Edmonton last year. They were too small up front and that was generally seen as the reason they missed the playoffs. You need a mixture and that's why Rypien and Hordichuk will be in the lineup. Your skilled players need room to operate and that's why unskilled players like Hordichuk are needed.

The only proviso is that Hordichuk fulfill his role. I think there might be a case that wasn't so at all times last year - especially early in the playoffs against Chicago.

On Hansen - the only reason to maybe regret the contract is that it is only 1 year and if Hansen has a break out season next year the Canucks may regret not getting him on a longer term at a low rate.

Hansen showed himself, at certain points during last season, to be NHL ready. He had a good developmental season last year and hopefully will take the next step this year. Has NHL speed and work ethic. Still needs to muscle up a bit and show that he can get to the net with the puck and not be knocked off the puck as he was, at times, last year.

Doubt he ever becomes much more than a 3rd liner but if he can do this then he becomes an asset. Not overly enthused to date with Gillis this off season but other than the length of the contract, I can see little to criticize here.

One last point is that Hansen might be good trade bait (likely part of package) to get a defenseman off San Jose. They need cheap forwards.

orcatown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 01:42 AM
Balls Mahoney
The Tryamkin Era!!!

Quote:

Avatar bet, I say Hansen plays 50 or more games for the Canucks this season. Are you in?

Old
08-06-2009, 01:50 AM
alternate

feel a little bad for Hansen. seemed he got strong-armed into a contract that undervalues his worth. he should have gotten a bit more cash and a one-way deal.

love Hansen, but a bit worried he hasn't been able to stay healthy. I like what he brings to the bottom 6. He and Hordichuck are good compliments to each other and offer AV the option of tailoring his line-up according to each nights opponent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
Yea lets soften us up even more.

Hordichuk is undervalued for what he brings. He is easily one of the best skating goons out there, and doesn't typically take dumb penalties. He is also fairly intimidating and has a good reputation around the league.

These kinds of guys are good for a team.

In addition, its also very easy to simply scratch Hordichuk if we are playing a soft team. Playing him 40-55 games won't hurt the team financially or on the ice, imo.
disagree about that one. Hordichuck couldn't intimidate a grandma out of a crosswalk. He had some moments in the playoffs, but was invisible through much of the regular season. way to calm and collected for his role, and the games were few and far between where he was out there running amok.

I don't agree with the getting rid of our enforcer crowd, but I would definitely like to upgrade on the one we have. I want a bit of crazy in my enforcer. I want a guy who is noticeable every time he is on the ice, not a guy who gets as many minor penalties playing physical as Kyle Wellwood does.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 02:38 AM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
feel a little bad for Hansen. seemed he got strong-armed into a contract that undervalues his worth. he should have gotten a bit more cash and a one-way deal.

love Hansen, but a bit worried he hasn't been able to stay healthy. I like what he brings to the bottom 6. He and Hordichuck are good compliments to each other and offer AV the option of tailoring his line-up according to each nights opponent.

disagree about that one. Hordichuck couldn't intimidate a grandma out of a crosswalk. He had some moments in the playoffs, but was invisible through much of the regular season. way to calm and collected for his role, and the games were few and far between where he was out there running amok.

I don't agree with the getting rid of our enforcer crowd, but I would definitely like to upgrade on the one we have. I want a bit of crazy in my enforcer. I want a guy who is noticeable every time he is on the ice, not a guy who gets as many minor penalties playing physical as Kyle Wellwood does.
Would you rather have a STUPID enforcer that runs around taking dumb penalties and is a liability to your team defensively as well?

You can't always have everything... Hordichuk is a VERY VERY solid enforcer who is surprisingly able to keep up very well and be a passable player. I have no problem at all with him being a calm presence. Sure, he could stand to react more, but it would be asinine to go out there, try and find someone else again, and then complain about THAT enforcer's OTHER deficiencies.

If the coaching staff expects more bite in Hordichuk, they'll ask for it, and he'll be given a chance to prove himself. He has far too many tools (well.. considering he's an enforcer) to complain about enough to switch.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 07:44 AM
digger18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
Avatar bet, I say Hansen plays 50 or more games for the Canucks this season. Are you in?
Sure.

digger18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 07:48 AM
digger18

Quote:
Originally Posted by galiano View Post
You ever seen him play ??
Common galiano those kind of questions are a joke. I have said it before in here and I will say it again. I do not form baseless opinions about players who I have not watched play. I am a Canucks fan, how the hell would I miss watching Hansen play, when I watch every Canucks game I can?

digger18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 09:04 AM
Steveorama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pascha View Post
He has to clear waivers to go to Manitoba, and it is almost a sure bet that someone would claim him if they tried it.
Just look who the Leafs have on their fourth line...you just KNOW Burke/Nonis would love to grab Hansen off of waivers! Especially on such a cheap contract.

Steveorama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 09:30 AM
KDizzle

Come on guys, that Turco bodycheck alone should warrant another 5 years of Hordi-love, minimum .

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 10:20 AM
mikael99

Henrik Sedin: Jannik had deserved to get a 1 way contract, when you look at who else have got a contract.

http://www.sporten.dk/ishockey/janni...er-ny-kontrakt

A little scandinavian brotherly "love" and support to Jannik from the Sedins.

The girl on the picture with him is his canadien gf Karen.

Last edited by mikael99: 08-06-2009 at 10:27 AM.
mikael99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 11:00 AM
KDizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikael99 View Post
Henrik Sedin: Jannik had deserved to get a 1 way contract, when you look at who else have got a contract.

http://www.sporten.dk/ishockey/janni...er-ny-kontrakt

A little scandinavian brotherly "love" and support to Jannik from the Sedins.

The girl on the picture with him is his canadien gf Karen.
Maybe it's just me but, although it's nice that the Sedins would support Hansen like that, this would seem like something that they should have kept to themselves. It comes off as the Sedins openly questioning and criticizing management.

Of course, it's not a big deal seeing as it's only a 1 year deal for chump change by NHL standards. Just seems unlike the Sedins to question moves made by management, that's all.

I hope Hansen plays well this year to back up the Sedins' assertions and earns himself a nice 1-way contract next year.

KDizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Wellwood You

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDizzle View Post
Maybe it's just me but, although it's nice that the Sedins would support Hansen like that, this would seem like something that they should have kept to themselves. It comes off as the Sedins openly questioning and criticizing management.
Guess Kesler's got company on Wetcoaster's "don't talk about other players' contracts" blacklist.

Wellwood You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 12:16 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
yea i heard all players on a roster can play the same role.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 12:20 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
I don't think it means that at all. If Grabner out competes someone for a roster spot he'll get that roster spot. No player will simply be handed a roster spot because they are waiver eligible or not. The exception to be handed a roster spot MAY be Hodgson if they don't think his game will progress with another year in the OHL and that his game is better served spending time in the NHL (AHL not an option).

All told, one of Grabner, Hansen, Raymond, or Wellwood may very well be wearing different colours by the time training camp breaks and rosters have to be finalized. I don't think Gillis or AV knows who that guy might be at this time.
I'm with the moderator, I believe that even if Grabner outperforms Raymond and Hansen, Grabner will be the one sent down, just because of the status of his contract.

People saying "poor Hansen" should give their head a shake, when this signing pretty much, as the moderator said, "puts a nail in the coffin" for Grabner.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote