HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Probably going back to shinny, how shopuld I sterilize equipment?

View Poll Results: How should I sterilize my old equipment?
Let a professional handle it 0 0%
Shower 2 25.00%
Commercial washer 2 25.00%
trade it in 0 0%
Fire 2 25.00%
If it hasn't crawled out and killed you in your sleep yet, just use it 2 25.00%
Other, explain 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-05-2009, 06:53 AM
octopi

vCash: 844
I haven't worn anything besides skates, floves and helmet in 7 years, will probably see if i can get ref pants and lover level hip padding for better mobility, but what about the rest?I'm torn between commerical washer, shower, professional , maybe rubbing alcohol(Altho I'm thinking this is pretty last resort)or just trade it all in, pay extra for newer, cleaner stuff.

*Additionally if anyone knows a really good option for a reasonably protective full leg pant, hopefully one that might eliminate/reduce chance of calf blade cuts I am all ears. I don't want to be bulked up as I am not playing contact and wish to be able to tote my bag, but at the same time am going to be one of the smaller players and want to protect myself reasonably.

Last edited by octopi: 08-05-2009 at 07:02 AM.
octopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 07:05 AM
BadHammy*
MSL For Hart!

vCash: 500
Have you ever thrown it in your shower and put some bleach on it? That works for me.

BadHammy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:05 AM
madmutter
Oilyness

There is a hockey shop in Edmonton called Cyclone Taylor that does an ozone sterilizing for about $50. Never done it but I've heard it works. I don't know where you are but I doubt they are the only sports store with this equipment.

madmutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 06:09 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopi View Post
I haven't worn anything besides skates, floves and helmet in 7 years, will probably see if i can get ref pants and lover level hip padding for better mobility, but what about the rest?I'm torn between commerical washer, shower, professional , maybe rubbing alcohol(Altho I'm thinking this is pretty last resort)or just trade it all in, pay extra for newer, cleaner stuff.

*Additionally if anyone knows a really good option for a reasonably protective full leg pant, hopefully one that might eliminate/reduce chance of calf blade cuts I am all ears. I don't want to be bulked up as I am not playing contact and wish to be able to tote my bag, but at the same time am going to be one of the smaller players and want to protect myself reasonably.
I wash my stuff in the shower using a handheld sprayer and let them dry thoroughly before using again. I also scrub stuff down with Lysol bathroom antibacterial spray cleaner in a bottle before rinsing it out in the shower.

if you need a hockey pant that has room for pads under them try what I like to wear for my recreational men's ice hockey league .... I bought some Mission roller hockey pants. You just wear a girdle under them of whatever padding you want to or nothing if you are so bold. It gives you plenty of room for shinguards and stuff.

I love them and will be wearing them instead of regular hockey pants and hockey socks from now on.

Also they are not very expensive and can be found at most websites for hockey.

Also you can have some crazy color designs or just plain black and silver like I use.

you can get good quality double stitched stuff for cheaps .... $50 and up.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 06:15 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

When it's time for my pads to get a real cleaning, I usually fill a bathtub with water, put some detergent and soak em a bit. It's pretty nasty how dark the water gets. Normally between games I just use the shock doctor bag.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 08:49 PM
DevsFan84

Get a cheap spray bottle and a bottle of rubbing alcohol. Fill the bottle 1/3 with the alcohol and the rest with water. Spray your stuff down, let it dry outside. Repeat several times.

This will cost you like 3 bucks if you don't have any of that stuff at home. It should get rid of the smell. If it doesn't, get a bottle of petzyme or natures miracle ($10 at a pet store) spray your stuff and let it dry. Repeat as necessary. The smell will be gone.

I use a handheld steamer to disenfect my stuff once in a while. You just have to be careful not to get anything too hot or else you can melt the plastic. That will kill the bacteria for sure but man will it stink afterwards. You have to spray it with the petzyme if you do that to get rid of the smell.

DevsFan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 10:50 PM
densetsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevsFan84 View Post
Get a cheap spray bottle and a bottle of rubbing alcohol. Fill the bottle 1/3 with the alcohol and the rest with water. Spray your stuff down, let it dry outside. Repeat several times.

This will cost you like 3 bucks if you don't have any of that stuff at home. It should get rid of the smell. If it doesn't, get a bottle of petzyme or natures miracle ($10 at a pet store) spray your stuff and let it dry. Repeat as necessary. The smell will be gone.
+1 on the diluted rubbing alcohol spray. I use a spray after every game to keep the smells away. When I first started spraying it took about 4 times for the smell to get under control, but it did. Isopropyl alcohol comes in concentrations anywhere from 50% - 99.9%; dilute the solution so it's about 25% alcohol.

I also wash my gear in the bathtub once a year, and steam clean my gloves as well. If you haven't washed the gear for years, be prepared -- it's going to be brown, brown water.

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:45 PM
AHF

Send a message via MSN to AHF
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmutter View Post
There is a hockey shop in Edmonton called Cyclone Taylor that does an ozone sterilizing for about $50. Never done it but I've heard it works. I don't know where you are but I doubt they are the only sports store with this equipment.
Thanks for the props.

It's $25 though. Hehe. ($40 for goalies)

I've had my skates done; it works quite well. I'll get the rest of my gear done shortly.

AHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 12:25 AM
densetsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHF View Post
It's $25 though. Hehe. ($40 for goalies)
$15 more for goalies? Racist!

densetsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 12:29 AM
AHF

Send a message via MSN to AHF
Quote:
Originally Posted by densetsu View Post
$15 more for goalies? Racist!
Haha. How did I know you were going to comment on that?

AHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 02:37 AM
Gunnar Stahl 30
...In The World!

i leave my **** in my bag, i dont empty it after games and dont air it out inbetween seasons. it nasty

Gunnar Stahl 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 02:49 AM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

My gear smells like death.

Usually I just end up leaving all of my stuff in my trunk.

StrangeVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 02:49 AM
Saved*

That stuff they use to spray on your equipment before and after.. it's bad stuff. Just make sure to shower very, very thoroughly after you wear your equipment. After a few weeks it 'goes away' apparently though, just make sure to scrub extra hard.

Saved* is offline   Reply With Quote