HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kerry Fraser on Leafs Lunch for the entire hour

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-05-2009, 11:12 AM
  #1
dubey
~manlets~
 
dubey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: The Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,608
vCash: 500
Kerry Fraser on Leafs Lunch for the entire hour

Should be interesting. They will be taking calls the whole show.

dubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:16 AM
  #2
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,223
vCash: 500
Brave man.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 01:24 PM
  #3
Cappo40*
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Hamilton, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,764
vCash: 500
If he is live in Toronto studios, I wouldn't be surprised if a crazy Leafs fan went to try to hurt him

Cappo40* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 01:32 PM
  #4
smoke meat pete*
VoiceofReason
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,905
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubey View Post
Should be interesting. They will be taking calls the whole show.
The man has singlehandly created more sadness in Canadian Hockey cirles than any other person. He screwed us out of a Habs:Leafs final, and he screwed the Flames out of a Stanley Cup.

I sure hope he apologizes.

smoke meat pete* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 01:37 PM
  #5
Down Goes Brown
Registered User
 
Down Goes Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
Brave man.
Not really. They took calls from Habs fans all hour, then acted surprised that nobody called in to really give it to him (hint: you choose who goes on the air).

Down Goes Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 01:40 PM
  #6
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Goes Brown View Post
Not really. They took calls from Habs fans all hour, then acted surprised that nobody called in to really give it to him (hint: you choose who goes on the air).
So essentially he sat there, and got smoke blown up his ass for an hour. Glad I missed it.

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 01:47 PM
  #7
Down Goes Brown
Registered User
 
Down Goes Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeafErikson View Post
So essentially he sat there, and got smoke blown up his ass for an hour. Glad I missed it.
Yeah. Had one, maybe two calls from actual angry fans. The rest was Habs fans, so-called Leafs fans who didn't think the call was a big deal, and giggling over hair jokes. Oh, and some guy's rambling call about Wayne Gretzky's parking spot.

Bottom line: Fraser is sticking to the "I was screened on the play" defence.


Down Goes Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 01:51 PM
  #8
LeafErikson*
Ice to meet you
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Victoria B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,223
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Goes Brown View Post
Yeah. Had one, maybe two calls from actual angry fans. The rest was Habs fans, so-called Leafs fans who didn't think the call was a big deal, and giggling over hair jokes. Oh, and some guy's rambling call about Wayne Gretzky's parking spot.

Bottom line: Fraser is sticking to the "I was screened on the play" defence.

Nice pick DGB!

Lets get'm!

LeafErikson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 01:53 PM
  #9
IWD
...
 
IWD's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Country: Spain
Posts: 5,044
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Goes Brown View Post
Yeah. Had one, maybe two calls from actual angry fans. The rest was Habs fans, so-called Leafs fans who didn't think the call was a big deal, and giggling over hair jokes. Oh, and some guy's rambling call about Wayne Gretzky's parking spot.

Bottom line: Fraser is sticking to the "I was screened on the play" defence.

As a general rule, I've never read blogs, but I started reading yours a few weeks ago. They're very witty, dry, and incredibly funny. Blogs don't last forever, but I can see myself following yours as long as it does.

Keep up the great work.

IWD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 02:58 PM
  #10
Down Goes Brown
Registered User
 
Down Goes Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azazel View Post
As a general rule, I've never read blogs, but I started reading yours a few weeks ago. They're very witty, dry, and incredibly funny. Blogs don't last forever, but I can see myself following yours as long as it does. Keep up the great work.
Cool, thanks a lot.

Down Goes Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 03:01 PM
  #11
teflonsteve
Registered User
 
teflonsteve's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Fredericton
Country: Canada
Posts: 359
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Goes Brown View Post
Cool, thanks a lot.
I would have to say that I only follow 2 blogs - Yours and Toronto Mike's. Keep up the good work!

teflonsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 08:12 PM
  #12
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust
 
cupcrazyman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Parts Unknown
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,397
vCash: 500
Kerry is from my hometown & a fan asked him to sign a can of hair spray & he used the "F" word.some guys have no sense of humour.

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 08:21 PM
  #13
Dr.Funk
Registered User
 
Dr.Funk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Willypeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,433
vCash: 1060
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupcrazyman View Post
Kerry is from my hometown & a fan asked him to sign a can of hair spray & he used the "F" word.some guys have no sense of humour.

A completely useless tool.

Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 08:34 PM
  #14
Schenn
Dirt Road Scholar
 
Schenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Huron County
Country: Canada
Posts: 27,422
vCash: 500
UM.. i may sound like an idiot here but.. Kerry Frasor? (keep in mind im 15, me thinks this is before my time, no?)

Schenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 09:22 PM
  #15
Quakmybush
Registered User
 
Quakmybush's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Niagara Falls
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,503
vCash: 500
seriously? ^ Im 18 and know about this stuff. Read up on your Leafs history man, and hockey knowledge for that matter.

Quakmybush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 09:30 PM
  #16
Saul
S'all Good Man
 
Saul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,787
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn View Post
UM.. i may sound like an idiot here but.. Kerry Frasor? (keep in mind im 15, me thinks this is before my time, no?)
Referee that ****ed the leafs over quite badly around the time you were born.

Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 09:37 PM
  #17
asdf
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country:
Posts: 2,035
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Goes Brown View Post
Yeah. Had one, maybe two calls from actual angry fans. The rest was Habs fans, so-called Leafs fans who didn't think the call was a big deal, and giggling over hair jokes. Oh, and some guy's rambling call about Wayne Gretzky's parking spot.

Bottom line: Fraser is sticking to the "I was screened on the play" defence.

This was the exact pic I was thinking of as I listened to the show.

For one caller Fraser gave his version of the events. He said after it happened and he saw Gilmour cut on the chin, he went over and asked him what happened. Gilmour told him that Gretzky clipped him on the follow through. Fraser said that's not a penalty and then went over to the linesmen to ask them what they saw. None of them saw anything.

asdf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 06:22 AM
  #18
LTL
Registered User
 
LTL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: D.T
Country: Canada
Posts: 28,288
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schenn View Post
UM.. i may sound like an idiot here but.. Kerry Frasor? (keep in mind im 15, me thinks this is before my time, no?)
Here watch this for an outstanding recap of 1993 run:

Quote:
The Passion Returns

Part 1


Part 2


Part 3


Part 4


Part 5


Part 6
Enjoy

LTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 07:57 AM
  #19
Down Goes Brown
Registered User
 
Down Goes Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf View Post
For one caller Fraser gave his version of the events.
At another point, he got quite specific, telling Brian Duff that "you'll see that there was an obstructed view off the faceoff, and two big players were in my line of sight."

Of course, you only have to watch the replay to see:
- The play didn't happen "off the faceoff"
- There aren't "two big players" anywhere near where Fraser is looking.

He also made an offhand comment about how Harry Neale needed five or six replays to see the high stick (implying that he wasn't the only one who missed it). But the very first words Neale says after the play are "It was Wayne Gretzky’s stick, Bob, I believe…". Again, you just need to watch the replay once to see that.

By the end of the interview, I kept waiting for Fraser to swear that he said "thanks but no thanks" to the bridge to nowhere.

I know it was a long time ago and Fraser deserves some credit for at least admitting it was a missed call that he regerts, but Leaf fans still don't have a good explanation for how something so obvious was missed.

Down Goes Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 08:30 AM
  #20
mydnyte
Registered User
 
mydnyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Goes Brown View Post
At another point, he got quite specific, telling Brian Duff that "you'll see that there was an obstructed view off the faceoff, and two big players were in my line of sight."

Of course, you only have to watch the replay to see:
- The play didn't happen "off the faceoff"
- There aren't "two big players" anywhere near where Fraser is looking.

He also made an offhand comment about how Harry Neale needed five or six replays to see the high stick (implying that he wasn't the only one who missed it). But the very first words Neale says after the play are "It was Wayne Gretzky’s stick, Bob, I believe…". Again, you just need to watch the replay once to see that.

By the end of the interview, I kept waiting for Fraser to swear that he said "thanks but no thanks" to the bridge to nowhere.

I know it was a long time ago and Fraser deserves some credit for at least admitting it was a missed call that he regerts, but Leaf fans still don't have a good explanation for how something so obvious was missed.
could have been worse ...i.e. Brett Hull's foot in the crease Stanley Cup winning illegal goal. (talk about a screw job)

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 10:08 AM
  #21
Down Goes Brown
Registered User
 
Down Goes Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mydnyte View Post
could have been worse ...i.e. Brett Hull's foot in the crease Stanley Cup winning illegal goal. (talk about a screw job)
True. Fraser/Gretzky is far from the only terrible call. The disputed Flames goal in the finals comes to mind too.

But at least in most cases, there's an explantion. It's either judgment-based ("the referee just didn't think it was a penalty") or you get some sort of rules-based explanation. Even the Sabres got a rules interpretation to explain the Hull goal. It was utter BS, but they got something.

With Fraser, we get the "obstructed view" defense that makes perfect sense as long as you never actually, you know, watch the play.

Down Goes Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 10:48 AM
  #22
lyrrad
Registered User
 
lyrrad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,246
vCash: 500
If a player is high sicked by the follow through on a shot than it's not a penalty.

Nothing else matters.

lyrrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 10:52 AM
  #23
EazyB97
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 27,943
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Goes Brown View Post
True. Fraser/Gretzky is far from the only terrible call. The disputed Flames goal in the finals comes to mind too.

But at least in most cases, there's an explantion. It's either judgment-based ("the referee just didn't think it was a penalty") or you get some sort of rules-based explanation. Even the Sabres got a rules interpretation to explain the Hull goal. It was utter BS, but they got something.

With Fraser, we get the "obstructed view" defense that makes perfect sense as long as you never actually, you know, watch the play.
Which is a similar explanation to the Buffalo one, isn't it? Seems like we got an explanation, it was just a very poor one.

Did the Fraser call in Calgary go upstairs?

I think the guy was a horrible referee, he just never seemed to make the right decisions, but as far as I can tell/remember, we got an explanation on the call.

EazyB97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 10:52 AM
  #24
mydnyte
Registered User
 
mydnyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Goes Brown View Post
True. Fraser/Gretzky is far from the only terrible call. The disputed Flames goal in the finals comes to mind too.

But at least in most cases, there's an explantion. It's either judgment-based ("the referee just didn't think it was a penalty") or you get some sort of rules-based explanation. Even the Sabres got a rules interpretation to explain the Hull goal. It was utter BS, but they got something.

With Fraser, we get the "obstructed view" defense that makes perfect sense as long as you never actually, you know, watch the play.
Fraser can say he was blocked out by Gilmour as he was slashed in the face, but, the Brett Hull goal was not excusable. this is the best explanation for those who are not familiar with it.

mydnyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 10:59 AM
  #25
Down Goes Brown
Registered User
 
Down Goes Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 441
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyrrad View Post
If a player is high sicked by the follow through on a shot than it's not a penalty.
Right. And Gretzky's high stick was clearly not on a follow through.

Was there a point here?

Down Goes Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:34 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.