HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs involve in a potential 3 way trade involving Heatley? (per Ottawa Sun Media)

Old
08-05-2009, 05:12 PM
Guriken

vCash: 500
I don't understand the lack of faith towards Plekanec... He is young and still learning, he should bounce back this year with his new linemates.

Anyway, people will never be satisfied with the team... Gainey pulled more trades and signings than anyone could have realistically thought of. You know, he won't trade the whole team...

Guriken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 05:17 PM
alexstream

Guys, this is typical message board non-sense.

someone mentions something, next thing you know, it has all been "lost in translation"...

the first rumour was :

SJ a likely candidate for Heater (Asked to be traded there) (fact)
no names mentionned. Murray wants 2-3 young inexpensive established players. (fact)
So it's easy to create a rumour that "a deal sending Heater to SJ is brewing"

Then, there was another rumour

Plek and Halak for Marleau
1. SJ wants to have an overhaul
2. SJ is tight under the cap.
3. oh oh oh, it could make some room for Heater?!
4. of course, this trade cannot happen if we hold on to Hamrlik. Although not mentioned in the rumour.

Then a final rumour saying:
IF Heater is going to SJ, then Habs might be involved...

AT some point in the process, people just merged all the rumours together, having us send Plek and Halak and Hamr to Ott...

However (pulling that out of my ass), what if :
SJ : Plekanec, Halak and what not.
Habs : Marleau

Ottawa : Michalek, Erhoff and what not.
SJ : Heater

Habs trade Hamr elsewhere, where they need him and can fit him under the cap.

Makes way more sense than the 'merged rumours' nonsense.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 05:28 PM
habfaninvictoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFB View Post
so Ottawa is going to trade Heatley for Plekanec and Hamrlik ? Yeah sure...
If they were willing to do this why exactly would we need to involve SJ???

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 05:55 PM
Templeton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guriken View Post
I don't understand the lack of faith towards Plekanec... He is young and still learning, he should bounce back this year with his new linemates.

Anyway, people will never be satisfied with the team... Gainey pulled more trades and signings than anyone could have realistically thought of. You know, he won't trade the whole team...
Exact. They can't accept that players are not efficient in every aspects of the game. It's not NHL 2k9. It would be the same if we had a team à la Red Wings. They would complain about Samuelsson's softness, the look of Draper and the fact that there is too much consonants in Abdelkader's name. Plek is the replacement of Higgins in terms of punching bag. If Plek is starting to play at his potential, who will be the next one ? Latendresse, Hamrlik or Gill ? I hope that I'm wrong but my bet is that Gill will have a tough time in Mtl.

Templeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 06:15 PM
vokiel
Nothing blind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guriken View Post

FALSE, he's not young, he's an UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENT at the end of his current contract, which is 1 year.

Please make an effort to understand that we've lost or let go many players in the past to free agency. People are worried, with reason, that we'll yet lose another player for nothing. If we don't pull a trade now his stock might go down even further than what it is now.

A good offer for Plekanec is a welcome one.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 11:00 AM
havok78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Templeton View Post
Exact. They can't accept that players are not efficient in every aspects of the game. It's not NHL 2k9. It would be the same if we had a team à la Red Wings. They would complain about Samuelsson's softness, the look of Draper and the fact that there is too much consonants in Abdelkader's name. Plek is the replacement of Higgins in terms of punching bag. If Plek is starting to play at his potential, who will be the next one ? Latendresse, Hamrlik or Gill ? I hope that I'm wrong but my bet is that Gill will have a tough time in Mtl.
And he signed for 2 years......

havok78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 11:23 AM
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
FALSE, he's not young, he's an UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENT at the end of his current contract, which is 1 year.

Please make an effort to understand that we've lost or let go many players in the past to free agency. People are worried, with reason, that we'll yet lose another player for nothing. If we don't pull a trade now his stock might go down even further than what it is now.

A good offer for Plekanec is a welcome one.
You shouldn't be worried about "losing Plekanec for nothing", that's not the point - post lockout and with the UFA age being lowered it's bound to happen all the time. Marleau is also a UFA by the year's end - if we trade for him we also risk "losing him for nothing". If Plekanec is gone next year and we sign another UFA to replace him, then it means that another team will have "lost a player for nothing". It's a groundless fear.

I'm all for trading Plekanec for someone signed long term but it's probably going to cost too much. But arguably, we may not even want to do that. With a guy like Maxwell coming along, it may be good thing to stay flexible with our second line center position and not commit on someone for too long.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 12:05 PM
Ginu

Montreal is trying to make a trade that involves Hamrlik to another team (LA) and MTL receives a young defenceman back. I think we're also talking to Chicago about Sharp and/or Barker as they have interest in Halak after Khabibuhlin bolted to Edmonton.

They will then have the cap space to get a 2nd line center, of which Montreal is discussing with San Jose about Marleau. Plekanec is involved here.

Ottawa needs 4 pieces from a deal with San Jose for Heatley - some cap room, a young defenceman, a young center, and another top 6 forward.

Hence, there is a need for Montreal to pull of their Hamrlik deal first, before the others can materialize.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 12:07 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Montreal is trying to make a trade that involves Hamrlik to another team (LA) and MTL receives a young defenceman back. I think we're also talking to Chicago about Sharp and/or Barker as they have interest in Halak after Khabibuhlin bolted to Edmonton.

They will then have the cap space to get a 2nd line center, of which Montreal is discussing with San Jose about Marleau. Plekanec is involved here.

Ottawa needs 4 pieces from a deal with San Jose for Heatley - some cap room, a young defenceman, a young center, and another top 6 forward.

Hence, there is a need for Montreal to pull of their Hamrlik deal first, before the others can materialize.
Is that a rumour or the source of your imagination?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 12:21 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
His one about the deal with Chicago seems to be from Eklund.

**** off, Patrick Marleau.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 12:30 PM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
Guys, this is typical message board non-sense.

someone mentions something, next thing you know, it has all been "lost in translation"...

the first rumour was :

SJ a likely candidate for Heater (Asked to be traded there) (fact)
no names mentionned. Murray wants 2-3 young inexpensive established players. (fact)
So it's easy to create a rumour that "a deal sending Heater to SJ is brewing"

Then, there was another rumour

Plek and Halak for Marleau
1. SJ wants to have an overhaul
2. SJ is tight under the cap.
3. oh oh oh, it could make some room for Heater?!
4. of course, this trade cannot happen if we hold on to Hamrlik. Although not mentioned in the rumour.

Then a final rumour saying:
IF Heater is going to SJ, then Habs might be involved...

AT some point in the process, people just merged all the rumours together, having us send Plek and Halak and Hamr to Ott...

However (pulling that out of my ass), what if :
SJ : Plekanec, Halak and what not.
Habs : Marleau

Ottawa : Michalek, Erhoff and what not.
SJ : Heater

Habs trade Hamr elsewhere, where they need him and can fit him under the cap.

Makes way more sense than the 'merged rumours' nonsense.
Excellent summary. You've also demistified how hack journalists (Bruce Garrioch) and bloggers (you know who) contrive "rumors" building on a small basis of fact and sprinkling in the fiction. In most cases they don't even let the absence of a small basis of fact get in the way of a good "rumor".

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 04:35 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Logic. Think about it. Chicago doesn't have a 2nd goalie, San Jose hasn't changed their team yet, Ottawa needs to get rid of Heatley, and we need a makeover to our 2nd line still. LA was also previously attempting to trade Jack Johnson. IMO there's more of a chance of a move happening than not.

Old
08-06-2009, 04:52 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Logic. Think about it. Chicago doesn't have a 2nd goalie, San Jose hasn't changed their team yet, Ottawa needs to get rid of Heatley, and we need a makeover to our 2nd line still. LA was also previously attempting to trade Jack Johnson. IMO there's more of a chance of a move happening than not.
I didn't say it didn't make sense, but you made it sound like you had some connection or source. We both know though that logic and rumours/trades don't always make much sense.

Old
08-06-2009, 06:55 PM
MaynardJames

I've been reading rumors around here for years but seriously when was the last rumor to actually became real ? I can't think of one.

MaynardJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 07:04 PM
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life

Quote:
Chicago has 2 very good goalies to play back-up, Crawford and Niemi. One will play in the AHL, one in the NHL. Chicago doesn't need another goaltender.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 07:15 PM
Iwishihadacup

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardJames View Post
I've been reading rumors around here for years but seriously when was the last rumor to actually became real ? I can't think of one.
its all about the dominos

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 07:23 PM
Jee
@DeuxiemeJumeau

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardJames View Post
Théodore, Tanguay...

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 08:08 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
You shouldn't be worried about "losing Plekanec for nothing", that's not the point - post lockout and with the UFA age being lowered it's bound to happen all the time. Marleau is also a UFA by the year's end - if we trade for him we also risk "losing him for nothing". If Plekanec is gone next year and we sign another UFA to replace him, then it means that another team will have "lost a player for nothing". It's a groundless fear.
You hit the nail right on the head. It's comical that so many complain when we lose a UFA that we should have traded them at the deadline. If we trade players at the deadline, what kind of message does that send to the rest of the players who have been busting their butts all year? The Penguins and Red wings have lost as many free agents as anyone the last two years. All you can do is try to replace them with another team's UFA's. That's life in the salary cap/post-lockout era.

As Herm Edwards once so eloquently put it, "you play the game to win".

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 09:13 PM
HABSINCE76

If we want Marleau we will get him next season for nothing but his salary......whats the rush!

HABSINCE76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 09:17 PM
JrHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABSINCE76 View Post
If we want Marleau we will get him next season for nothing but his salary......whats the rush!
Exactly. why deal for a guy who is a UFA after next year. we lose players "renting" him now

Frankly I'm not that crazy about getting him anyway

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 09:22 PM
Russian Warrior
SWAG

Quote:

Eklund, is that you?

Russian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 09:28 PM
SpreeEndaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdel Kostitsyn View Post
Eklund, is that you?
No, Eklund is too busy preparing the ground-breaking rumor of the year: The Halak to Chicago Domino Effect.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 10:09 PM
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy

Forget about Marleau. This three-way trade saga is getting old and too complicated.

What about Alexander Frolov? Some already said his name in this thread before and we all know the chemistry he had with Mike Cammelleri a few years ago. However, Frolov wouldn't come cheap like some people seem to think. The Kings could definitely use Tomas Plekanec. In fact, both Frolov and Plekanec are UFA at the end of the season and their cap hit is pretty much the same this year. Of course, the Kings wouldn't do this deal straight up. Frolov is a great all-around player and he plays a north american type of game. Some will not like it but I say that we would need to add our first next year. The Kings will have a difficult season once again and I don't think that Frolov would be ready to re-sign, at least not before testing the market. Another first round pick would be great for them. For the Habs, Frolov would not be a rental for one year only. Gainey would have to work on an extension during the season.

To MTL: Alexander Frolov (2.9M$)
To LAK: Tomas Plekanec and 2010 1st round pick (2.75M$)

So who's the second line center? If you read some of my latest post, you know that I'm high on Jordan Staal. It was discussed before and I think that a deal for the Kostitsyn brothers would make sense for both teams. The Habs get an obvious upgrade and the Pens would finally have two legit forwards to play with Evgeni Malkin. They could form a very dangerous line.

To MTL: Jordan Staal (4M$)
To PIT: Andrei Kostitsyn and Sergei Kostitsyn (4M$+)

Lines:

Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta
Frolov-Staal-Cammalleri
Moen-Lapierre-Latendresse
Stewart-Metropolit-D'Agostini/Chipchura
*D'Agostini/Chipchura, Laraque (LITR)

Markov-Mara
Hamrlik-Spacek
Gill-Gorges
O'Byrne

Price
Halak

I think that those ideas are quite realistic and they make our team a lot better IMO.

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 11:13 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyEndaz View Post
No, Eklund is too busy preparing the ground-breaking rumor of the year: The Halak to Chicago Domino Effect.
Eklund's Domino Effect

Old
08-07-2009, 03:53 PM
Ginu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdel Kostitsyn View Post
Eklund, is that you?
Could I be right? http://www.hockey30.com/magazine/fernandez-a-montreal/