HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs involve in a potential 3 way trade involving Heatley? (per Ottawa Sun Media)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-05-2009, 05:12 PM
  #401
Guriken
Registered User
 
Guriken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Quebec, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 443
vCash: 500
I don't understand the lack of faith towards Plekanec... He is young and still learning, he should bounce back this year with his new linemates.

Anyway, people will never be satisfied with the team... Gainey pulled more trades and signings than anyone could have realistically thought of. You know, he won't trade the whole team...

Guriken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 05:17 PM
  #402
alexstream
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 2,396
vCash: 500
Guys, this is typical message board non-sense.

someone mentions something, next thing you know, it has all been "lost in translation"...

the first rumour was :

SJ a likely candidate for Heater (Asked to be traded there) (fact)
no names mentionned. Murray wants 2-3 young inexpensive established players. (fact)
So it's easy to create a rumour that "a deal sending Heater to SJ is brewing"

Then, there was another rumour

Plek and Halak for Marleau
1. SJ wants to have an overhaul
2. SJ is tight under the cap.
3. oh oh oh, it could make some room for Heater?!
4. of course, this trade cannot happen if we hold on to Hamrlik. Although not mentioned in the rumour.

Then a final rumour saying:
IF Heater is going to SJ, then Habs might be involved...

AT some point in the process, people just merged all the rumours together, having us send Plek and Halak and Hamr to Ott...

However (pulling that out of my ass), what if :
SJ : Plekanec, Halak and what not.
Habs : Marleau

Ottawa : Michalek, Erhoff and what not.
SJ : Heater

Habs trade Hamr elsewhere, where they need him and can fit him under the cap.


Makes way more sense than the 'merged rumours' nonsense.

alexstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 05:28 PM
  #403
habfaninvictoria
Registered User
 
habfaninvictoria's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria BC
Posts: 1,744
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFB View Post
so Ottawa is going to trade Heatley for Plekanec and Hamrlik ? Yeah sure...
If they were willing to do this why exactly would we need to involve SJ???

habfaninvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 05:55 PM
  #404
Templeton
Registered User
 
Templeton's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Rimouski
Country: Canada
Posts: 351
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guriken View Post
I don't understand the lack of faith towards Plekanec... He is young and still learning, he should bounce back this year with his new linemates.

Anyway, people will never be satisfied with the team... Gainey pulled more trades and signings than anyone could have realistically thought of. You know, he won't trade the whole team...
Exact. They can't accept that players are not efficient in every aspects of the game. It's not NHL 2k9. It would be the same if we had a team à la Red Wings. They would complain about Samuelsson's softness, the look of Draper and the fact that there is too much consonants in Abdelkader's name. Plek is the replacement of Higgins in terms of punching bag. If Plek is starting to play at his potential, who will be the next one ? Latendresse, Hamrlik or Gill ? I hope that I'm wrong but my bet is that Gill will have a tough time in Mtl.

Templeton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 06:15 PM
  #405
vokiel
Nothing blind
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montréal
Country: Martinique
Posts: 7,871
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guriken View Post
I don't understand the lack of faith towards Plekanec... He is young and still learning, he should bounce back this year with his new linemates.

Anyway, people will never be satisfied with the team... Gainey pulled more trades and signings than anyone could have realistically thought of. You know, he won't trade the whole team...
FALSE, he's not young, he's an UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENT at the end of his current contract, which is 1 year.

Please make an effort to understand that we've lost or let go many players in the past to free agency. People are worried, with reason, that we'll yet lose another player for nothing. If we don't pull a trade now his stock might go down even further than what it is now.

A good offer for Plekanec is a welcome one.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 11:00 AM
  #406
havok78
Registered User
 
havok78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Montreal
Posts: 354
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac Templeton View Post
Exact. They can't accept that players are not efficient in every aspects of the game. It's not NHL 2k9. It would be the same if we had a team à la Red Wings. They would complain about Samuelsson's softness, the look of Draper and the fact that there is too much consonants in Abdelkader's name. Plek is the replacement of Higgins in terms of punching bag. If Plek is starting to play at his potential, who will be the next one ? Latendresse, Hamrlik or Gill ? I hope that I'm wrong but my bet is that Gill will have a tough time in Mtl.
And he signed for 2 years......

havok78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 11:23 AM
  #407
Goldthorpe
Meditating Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Montreal
Posts: 4,513
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
FALSE, he's not young, he's an UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENT at the end of his current contract, which is 1 year.

Please make an effort to understand that we've lost or let go many players in the past to free agency. People are worried, with reason, that we'll yet lose another player for nothing. If we don't pull a trade now his stock might go down even further than what it is now.

A good offer for Plekanec is a welcome one.
You shouldn't be worried about "losing Plekanec for nothing", that's not the point - post lockout and with the UFA age being lowered it's bound to happen all the time. Marleau is also a UFA by the year's end - if we trade for him we also risk "losing him for nothing". If Plekanec is gone next year and we sign another UFA to replace him, then it means that another team will have "lost a player for nothing". It's a groundless fear.

I'm all for trading Plekanec for someone signed long term but it's probably going to cost too much. But arguably, we may not even want to do that. With a guy like Maxwell coming along, it may be good thing to stay flexible with our second line center position and not commit on someone for too long.

Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 12:05 PM
  #408
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,803
vCash: 500
Montreal is trying to make a trade that involves Hamrlik to another team (LA) and MTL receives a young defenceman back. I think we're also talking to Chicago about Sharp and/or Barker as they have interest in Halak after Khabibuhlin bolted to Edmonton.

They will then have the cap space to get a 2nd line center, of which Montreal is discussing with San Jose about Marleau. Plekanec is involved here.

Ottawa needs 4 pieces from a deal with San Jose for Heatley - some cap room, a young defenceman, a young center, and another top 6 forward.

Hence, there is a need for Montreal to pull of their Hamrlik deal first, before the others can materialize.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 12:07 PM
  #409
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Montreal is trying to make a trade that involves Hamrlik to another team (LA) and MTL receives a young defenceman back. I think we're also talking to Chicago about Sharp and/or Barker as they have interest in Halak after Khabibuhlin bolted to Edmonton.

They will then have the cap space to get a 2nd line center, of which Montreal is discussing with San Jose about Marleau. Plekanec is involved here.

Ottawa needs 4 pieces from a deal with San Jose for Heatley - some cap room, a young defenceman, a young center, and another top 6 forward.

Hence, there is a need for Montreal to pull of their Hamrlik deal first, before the others can materialize.
Is that a rumour or the source of your imagination?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 12:21 PM
  #410
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Renfrew, ON.
Country: Canada
Posts: 44,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Is that a rumour or the source of your imagination?
His one about the deal with Chicago seems to be from Eklund.

**** off, Patrick Marleau.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 12:30 PM
  #411
24Cups
Registered User
 
24Cups's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 1,214
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexstream View Post
Guys, this is typical message board non-sense.

someone mentions something, next thing you know, it has all been "lost in translation"...

the first rumour was :

SJ a likely candidate for Heater (Asked to be traded there) (fact)
no names mentionned. Murray wants 2-3 young inexpensive established players. (fact)
So it's easy to create a rumour that "a deal sending Heater to SJ is brewing"

Then, there was another rumour

Plek and Halak for Marleau
1. SJ wants to have an overhaul
2. SJ is tight under the cap.
3. oh oh oh, it could make some room for Heater?!
4. of course, this trade cannot happen if we hold on to Hamrlik. Although not mentioned in the rumour.

Then a final rumour saying:
IF Heater is going to SJ, then Habs might be involved...

AT some point in the process, people just merged all the rumours together, having us send Plek and Halak and Hamr to Ott...

However (pulling that out of my ass), what if :
SJ : Plekanec, Halak and what not.
Habs : Marleau

Ottawa : Michalek, Erhoff and what not.
SJ : Heater

Habs trade Hamr elsewhere, where they need him and can fit him under the cap.


Makes way more sense than the 'merged rumours' nonsense.
Excellent summary. You've also demistified how hack journalists (Bruce Garrioch) and bloggers (you know who) contrive "rumors" building on a small basis of fact and sprinkling in the fiction. In most cases they don't even let the absence of a small basis of fact get in the way of a good "rumor".

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 04:35 PM
  #412
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Is that a rumour or the source of your imagination?
Logic. Think about it. Chicago doesn't have a 2nd goalie, San Jose hasn't changed their team yet, Ottawa needs to get rid of Heatley, and we need a makeover to our 2nd line still. LA was also previously attempting to trade Jack Johnson. IMO there's more of a chance of a move happening than not.

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 04:52 PM
  #413
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Logic. Think about it. Chicago doesn't have a 2nd goalie, San Jose hasn't changed their team yet, Ottawa needs to get rid of Heatley, and we need a makeover to our 2nd line still. LA was also previously attempting to trade Jack Johnson. IMO there's more of a chance of a move happening than not.
I didn't say it didn't make sense, but you made it sound like you had some connection or source. We both know though that logic and rumours/trades don't always make much sense.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 06:55 PM
  #414
MaynardJames
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 155
vCash: 500
I've been reading rumors around here for years but seriously when was the last rumor to actually became real ? I can't think of one.

MaynardJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 07:04 PM
  #415
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life
 
Turtleneck Plek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Logic. Think about it. Chicago doesn't have a 2nd goalie, San Jose hasn't changed their team yet, Ottawa needs to get rid of Heatley, and we need a makeover to our 2nd line still. LA was also previously attempting to trade Jack Johnson. IMO there's more of a chance of a move happening than not.
Chicago has 2 very good goalies to play back-up, Crawford and Niemi. One will play in the AHL, one in the NHL. Chicago doesn't need another goaltender.

Turtleneck Plek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 07:15 PM
  #416
Iwishihadacup
Registered User
 
Iwishihadacup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Quebec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardJames View Post
I've been reading rumors around here for years but seriously when was the last rumor to actually became real ? I can't think of one.
its all about the dominos

Iwishihadacup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 07:23 PM
  #417
Jee
Moderator
@DeuxiemeJumeau
 
Jee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Montréal
Country: Ireland
Posts: 18,252
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardJames View Post
I've been reading rumors around here for years but seriously when was the last rumor to actually became real ? I can't think of one.
Théodore, Tanguay...

Jee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 08:08 PM
  #418
Schooner Guy
Registered User
 
Schooner Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 5,667
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldthorpe View Post
You shouldn't be worried about "losing Plekanec for nothing", that's not the point - post lockout and with the UFA age being lowered it's bound to happen all the time. Marleau is also a UFA by the year's end - if we trade for him we also risk "losing him for nothing". If Plekanec is gone next year and we sign another UFA to replace him, then it means that another team will have "lost a player for nothing". It's a groundless fear.
You hit the nail right on the head. It's comical that so many complain when we lose a UFA that we should have traded them at the deadline. If we trade players at the deadline, what kind of message does that send to the rest of the players who have been busting their butts all year? The Penguins and Red wings have lost as many free agents as anyone the last two years. All you can do is try to replace them with another team's UFA's. That's life in the salary cap/post-lockout era.

As Herm Edwards once so eloquently put it, "you play the game to win".

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 09:13 PM
  #419
HABSINCE76
Registered User
 
HABSINCE76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 170
vCash: 500
If we want Marleau we will get him next season for nothing but his salary......whats the rush!

HABSINCE76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 09:17 PM
  #420
JrHockeyFan
Registered User
 
JrHockeyFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABSINCE76 View Post
If we want Marleau we will get him next season for nothing but his salary......whats the rush!
Exactly. why deal for a guy who is a UFA after next year. we lose players "renting" him now

Frankly I'm not that crazy about getting him anyway

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 09:22 PM
  #421
Russian Warrior
SWAG
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginu View Post
Montreal is trying to make a trade that involves Hamrlik to another team (LA) and MTL receives a young defenceman back. I think we're also talking to Chicago about Sharp and/or Barker as they have interest in Halak after Khabibuhlin bolted to Edmonton.

They will then have the cap space to get a 2nd line center, of which Montreal is discussing with San Jose about Marleau. Plekanec is involved here.

Ottawa needs 4 pieces from a deal with San Jose for Heatley - some cap room, a young defenceman, a young center, and another top 6 forward.

Hence, there is a need for Montreal to pull of their Hamrlik deal first, before the others can materialize.
Eklund, is that you?

Russian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 09:28 PM
  #422
SpreeEndaz
Registered User
 
SpreeEndaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Around MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdel Kostitsyn View Post
Eklund, is that you?
No, Eklund is too busy preparing the ground-breaking rumor of the year: The Halak to Chicago Domino Effect.

SpreeEndaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 10:09 PM
  #423
ChuckyToGally
Former Carey Roy
 
ChuckyToGally's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,407
vCash: 500
Forget about Marleau. This three-way trade saga is getting old and too complicated.

What about Alexander Frolov? Some already said his name in this thread before and we all know the chemistry he had with Mike Cammelleri a few years ago. However, Frolov wouldn't come cheap like some people seem to think. The Kings could definitely use Tomas Plekanec. In fact, both Frolov and Plekanec are UFA at the end of the season and their cap hit is pretty much the same this year. Of course, the Kings wouldn't do this deal straight up. Frolov is a great all-around player and he plays a north american type of game. Some will not like it but I say that we would need to add our first next year. The Kings will have a difficult season once again and I don't think that Frolov would be ready to re-sign, at least not before testing the market. Another first round pick would be great for them. For the Habs, Frolov would not be a rental for one year only. Gainey would have to work on an extension during the season.

To MTL: Alexander Frolov (2.9M$)
To LAK: Tomas Plekanec and 2010 1st round pick (2.75M$)

So who's the second line center? If you read some of my latest post, you know that I'm high on Jordan Staal. It was discussed before and I think that a deal for the Kostitsyn brothers would make sense for both teams. The Habs get an obvious upgrade and the Pens would finally have two legit forwards to play with Evgeni Malkin. They could form a very dangerous line.

To MTL: Jordan Staal (4M$)
To PIT: Andrei Kostitsyn and Sergei Kostitsyn (4M$+)

Lines:

Pacioretty-Gomez-Gionta
Frolov-Staal-Cammalleri
Moen-Lapierre-Latendresse
Stewart-Metropolit-D'Agostini/Chipchura
*D'Agostini/Chipchura, Laraque (LITR)

Markov-Mara
Hamrlik-Spacek
Gill-Gorges
O'Byrne

Price
Halak

I think that those ideas are quite realistic and they make our team a lot better IMO.

ChuckyToGally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 11:13 PM
  #424
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyEndaz View Post
No, Eklund is too busy preparing the ground-breaking rumor of the year: The Halak to Chicago Domino Effect.
Eklund's Domino Effect


Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:53 PM
  #425
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,803
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdel Kostitsyn View Post
Eklund, is that you?
Could I be right? http://www.hockey30.com/magazine/fernandez-a-montreal/

Ginu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:08 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.