HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers interested in Bertuzzi

Old
08-06-2009, 05:06 PM
billandsebastian

vCash: 500
One thing that's been overlooked so far is games played. Some people want to give a young guy a chance, but if you look back at Bert's last few seasons, I'm pretty sure there will be some time for young guys.

05-06: 82 gp
06-07: 15 gp
07-08: 68 gp
08-09: 66 gp

As someone who played a full season and then lost almost a full season to an injury (when he came back those last 7 games in 07, he might as well not even have been there), it looks like he might be settling into a ~15-20 games missed average. That's about 1/4 of the season for some young guys to get time, or at least show that they might be deserving of keeping their place. All in all he might not be a bad insurance policy if he's cheap.

billandsebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 05:11 PM
captainpaxil

id rather give maroon a shot to make the team. if what they need is a big body i think they should at least give the kid untill camp to show he can make it.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 05:35 PM
CantSeeColors

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogenIsTheMan View Post
Yes but what young guy would that be?
Maroon? JvR? I'm not against picking up Bertuzzi at all, but I feel like one of those two (probably Maroon) could make this team out of camp if the spot isn't filled by a vet.

CantSeeColors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 06:29 PM
Wolfy

Bertuzzi could be the missing piece, big powerful forward and he comes pretty cheap. But somebody has to share room with this guy on the road, and I've heard that's far from easy. In other words, good hockey player but he got some serious personality issues.

Wolfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 06:33 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by billandsebastian View Post
One thing that's been overlooked so far is games played. Some people want to give a young guy a chance, but if you look back at Bert's last few seasons, I'm pretty sure there will be some time for young guys.

05-06: 82 gp
06-07: 15 gp
07-08: 68 gp
08-09: 66 gp

As someone who played a full season and then lost almost a full season to an injury (when he came back those last 7 games in 07, he might as well not even have been there), it looks like he might be settling into a ~15-20 games missed average. That's about 1/4 of the season for some young guys to get time, or at least show that they might be deserving of keeping their place. All in all he might not be a bad insurance policy if he's cheap.
Being so up against the Cap, a player that in the 15 to 20 missed game range will more than likely not be able to be replaced under the Cap -- as opposed to the LTIR injured players -- therefore, in that scenario, it cannot be considered a good thing by any stretch of the imagination, IMO anyway.

Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 06:35 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf View Post
Bertuzzi could be the missing piece, big powerful forward and he comes pretty cheap. But somebody has to share room with this guy on the road, and I've heard that's far from easy. In other words, good hockey player but he got some serious personality issues.
... And therefore just what this team needs.

Old
08-06-2009, 07:39 PM
Larry44
FlyersTankNation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CantSeeColors View Post
Maroon? JvR? I'm not against picking up Bertuzzi at all, but I feel like one of those two (probably Maroon) could make this team out of camp if the spot isn't filled by a vet.
Or Nodl. Or Kaspar.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 08:18 PM
billandsebastian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersJunky View Post
Being so up against the Cap, a player that in the 15 to 20 missed game range will more than likely not be able to be replaced under the Cap -- as opposed to the LTIR injured players -- therefore, in that scenario, it cannot be considered a good thing by any stretch of the imagination, IMO anyway.
I meant that its good in the sense that you might get some decent production out of him for awhile, but inevitably you'll get the chance to give someone young who has been doing well in the AHL a chance to fill in. He would need to come cheap for the cap $ to work.

I don't think I've ever thought that getting someone injury prone was a plus, but in this particular case, I'm not sure its a negative. If he plays the whole season... then great. If he gets injured early and can't play again, then that's what LTIR is for.

billandsebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 10:09 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by billandsebastian View Post
I meant that its good in the sense that you might get some decent production out of him for awhile, but inevitably you'll get the chance to give someone young who has been doing well in the AHL a chance to fill in. He would need to come cheap for the cap $ to work.

I don't think I've ever thought that getting someone injury prone was a plus, but in this particular case, I'm not sure its a negative. If he plays the whole season... then great. If he gets injured early and can't play again, then that's what LTIR is for.

\--/

Half full glass, I see.

Old
08-07-2009, 02:46 AM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersJunky View Post
\--/

Half full glass, I see.

Wouldn't it be hilarious if Holmgren signed Bertuzzi for $1 more than what JVR's cap hit would be as a Flyer? Going straight The Price Is Right on the cap.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote