HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

FYI: Balsille's treachery revealed

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-05-2009, 08:01 PM
  #1
darth5
Rowsdower!
 
darth5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,440
vCash: 500
FYI: Balsille's treachery revealed

If you are already a hater and not interested in dredging up the painful past, I suggest you back out of this thread now.

OK, I despised this guy from what little I knew, But you guys should open the below link and scroll all the way to Appendix C. This is a statement from our former owner that details his dealings with you know who. Wow, what a despicable guy!

http://docs.bmcgroup.com/phoenixcoyo...k-9488_544.pdf
Hat tip to Dirk Hoag from On the Forecheck

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 09:12 PM
  #2
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,302
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoda of the chains View Post
If you are already a hater and not interested in dredging up the painful past, I suggest you back out of this thread now.

OK, I despised this guy from what little I knew, But you guys should open the below link and scroll all the way to Appendix C. This is a statement from our former owner that details his dealings with you know who. Wow, what a despicable guy!

http://docs.bmcgroup.com/phoenixcoyo...k-9488_544.pdf
Hat tip to Dirk Hoag from On the Forecheck
Wow, what a *******. At least I gained a little respect back for Leipold.

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 09:17 PM
  #3
darth5
Rowsdower!
 
darth5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Smashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,440
vCash: 500
Agreed, it seems Craig was trying to give the team a chance here and backed out when JB started trying to take over without holding up his end.

darth5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2009, 11:37 PM
  #4
braindead
Registered User
 
braindead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: The cookie spoke
Country: Tibet
Posts: 2,776
vCash: 500
Greatest read ever.... particularly enjoy the parts that re-emphasize that Ball-sac never put down the cash and followed the agreed terms, even though 800,000 Canadians have told me that Ball-sac made a real offer and wasn't permitted to carry through on it.

Every year that I have a team and he doesn't is another damn fine year.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 01:43 AM
  #5
sparkle twin
Real Deal
 
sparkle twin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hendersonville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,955
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Wow.

I never understood why Leiopold chose to enter into an agreement with Balsillie in the first place. If JB wouldn't keep the Pens in Pittsburgh, what made anyone think JB would keep the Preds in Nashville?

It's nice to see that other owners also seem to have serious doubts about Balsillie and his ability to be a good owner and work with the league.

Rodier/Balsillie sound like little kids on the playground with their 'if you don't give me a team I'm going to sue you!' crap. Why doesn't the league or someone sue Balsillie for using a trademark illegally?

Balsillie supporters are so quick to annoint JB as a saint that they can't see the truth. No one ever believes us when we tell them that it was Balsillie that wouldn't put up the money to make the agreement binding. They want to blame everyone from Bettman to us for Canada not having another team but here in black and white is the beautiful truth that Jim Balsillie and Richard Rodier are just bumbling ********.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 05:16 PM
  #6
Gnashville
Never trade Weber
 
Gnashville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: United States
Posts: 5,363
vCash: 500
What I find funny is so many people are still defending him, saying he did nothing wrong. I only hope someone tries garbage this on their team someday. He tried to poison the market before he even contacted Leipold. I remeber that time several people did stop attending games because they thought Leipold was crooked.


Add to that he was going to move the team on June 30th and sue the city for breach of contract, yet he breached every single item with his contract with Leipold.

I didn't like him before but I can't say what I think of him now on a public form.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 05:20 PM
  #7
jstreet
Smashville
 
jstreet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 8,267
vCash: 10000
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead View Post
Every year that I have a team and he doesn't is another damn fine year.

:y o:

jstreet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 09:21 PM
  #8
lightning_legwand*
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,202
vCash: 500
Sorry boys, but being a Canadian, no matter what crap is printed about him, I love the guy!!

He is trying to bring CANADA's game back to Canada a bit. Since the states have stolen a few of our teams already.

The states have Football, Baseball, and Basketball, hockey is ours forever! We always dominate at every Olympics or whatever, Canada has the most medals and are the king of all countries for hockey.

So with all that said, why is there only 6 out of 30 teams Canadian?? Hockey just simply does better in Canada.

I am a HUGE preds fan, living in Canada, but I GUARANTEE if Balsillie had of bought the Preds we would be most likely in Stanley Cup contention now and would not have lost half our team. We would also be able to sign free agents and actually make trades. AND.. the Predators would be a TON more profitable playing out of Winnpieg, Hamilton, Kitchener, or wherever in Canada.

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 09:35 PM
  #9
Abyss
GO BRUINS
 
Abyss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: CT
Country: United States
Posts: 5,758
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Abyss Send a message via MSN to Abyss
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
Sorry boys, but being a Canadian, no matter what crap is printed about him, I love the guy!!

He is trying to bring CANADA's game back to Canada a bit. Since the states have stolen a few of our teams already.

The states have Football, Baseball, and Basketball, hockey is ours forever! We always dominate at every Olympics or whatever, Canada has the most medals and are the king of all countries for hockey.

So with all that said, why is there only 6 out of 30 teams Canadian?? Hockey just simply does better in Canada.

I am a HUGE preds fan, living in Canada, but I GUARANTEE if Balsillie had of bought the Preds we would be most likely in Stanley Cup contention now and would not have lost half our team. We would also be able to sign free agents and actually make trades. AND.. the Predators would be a TON more profitable playing out of Winnpieg, Hamilton, Kitchener, or wherever in Canada.
It's not economically viable to have a lot more teams in Canada..if not for the States having those teams, the KHL would be poaching so many more players because Canadian markets just wouldn't be able to pay the anywhere near the salaries they get now.

And if you still "love" this guy after this document, then you are just plain ignorant.

Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 10:07 PM
  #10
lightning_legwand*
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,202
vCash: 500
People can write anything!! I could write up an article to make you think anything about anyone if I worked for tsn or espn. Look at Eklund!! people still believe some of the crap out of his mouth/pen!

All I am saying is this,

I understand where you are coming from with economically you need teams in the states, but I mean have teams in the states like, Detroit, NYR, Colorado, Buffalo, St.Louis, Chicago, Philly, Washington, New Jersey, Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, Boston, or Minnesota. And then have the rest in Canada, or at least more than 6!!
WHy even bother with teams like Carolina, Tampa bay, Phoenix, Florida, San Jose, Dallas, and yes.. unfortunately Nashville. These teams ALL struggle to fill seats.


If Balsillie had of bought Nashville, this franchise would have ALOT more money being tossed around, sold out arena in Canada every night, and an instantly bigger fanbase than whatever it is in Nashville. I hate to say it guys, buts those are the facts.

It seems pointless to have this team now. We cannot afford ANYONE to help push for playoffs, the arena struggles to sellout, people in a state like Tennessee would rather watch Football, Baseball, or Basketball ANYDAY over hockey. and in Canada its the opposite, I do not know many canadians that dont say their favourite sport is hockey.



So answer that one,

there are at least ten american teams that could do better in Canada without a doubt.

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 10:21 PM
  #11
nine_inch_fang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,506
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Have you ever taken a marketing or business class?

Have you ever heard of market saturation?

Have you ever actually polled Canadians to see exactly how many of them couldn't care less about hockey?

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 11:04 PM
  #12
predfan24
Registered User
 
predfan24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,319
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
People can write anything!! I could write up an article to make you think anything about anyone if I worked for tsn or espn. Look at Eklund!! people still believe some of the crap out of his mouth/pen!
Yeah, except for the fact that the article cites depositions from Bill Daly and Craig Leipold. That means a little more than an article written by a random blogger.

I respect the fact Balls has a love for the game. He simply is not going about it the right way however. Before you come back with the whole played out argument of Well, he tried to do it right but Bettman blocked him. This article clearly states he has been deceitful and a snake in the grass before he was even rejected for the Pens. The info in the article is disturbing and just reconfirm's even further his deceitful ways.

So by all means look at Ball's as a "white knight" while completely ignoring his actions. Hitler had plenty of sheep who treated him as a hero as well.

predfan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-06-2009, 11:21 PM
  #13
golfmade
Go Preds Go
 
golfmade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Idahoan in Taiwan
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 19,727
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
People can write anything!! I could write up an article to make you think anything about anyone if I worked for tsn or espn. Look at Eklund!! people still believe some of the crap out of his mouth/pen!
Sure, people can write or say anything, your hero Baldy has done this plenty of times before himself. However did you even read the PDF file? It's a deposition for the bankruptcy hearing in Phoenix.

Pardon me if I put more weight into what Mr. Leipold has to say, specifically in this situation and because it was not written for a blog of TSN but rather a legal case.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 12:46 AM
  #14
Paincakes
Registered User
 
Paincakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Knoxville
Country: Scotland
Posts: 643
vCash: 500
**** JB and everyone who supports him.

Paincakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 01:54 AM
  #15
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus
 
The Nemesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Langley, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 49,097
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
People can write anything!! I could write up an article to make you think anything about anyone if I worked for tsn or espn. Look at Eklund!! people still believe some of the crap out of his mouth/pen!

All I am saying is this,

I understand where you are coming from with economically you need teams in the states, but I mean have teams in the states like, Detroit, NYR, Colorado, Buffalo, St.Louis, Chicago, Philly, Washington, New Jersey, Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, Boston, or Minnesota. And then have the rest in Canada, or at least more than 6!!
WHy even bother with teams like Carolina, Tampa bay, Phoenix, Florida, San Jose, Dallas, and yes.. unfortunately Nashville. These teams ALL struggle to fill seats.


If Balsillie had of bought Nashville, this franchise would have ALOT more money being tossed around, sold out arena in Canada every night, and an instantly bigger fanbase than whatever it is in Nashville. I hate to say it guys, buts those are the facts.

It seems pointless to have this team now. We cannot afford ANYONE to help push for playoffs, the arena struggles to sellout, people in a state like Tennessee would rather watch Football, Baseball, or Basketball ANYDAY over hockey. and in Canada its the opposite, I do not know many canadians that dont say their favourite sport is hockey.



So answer that one,

there are at least ten american teams that could do better in Canada without a doubt.
First, I wish to apologize for the fact that I'm about to hijack your thread with a rather large rant full of cited links and secondary research. But on with the show:

As an outsider who only came across this thread because it was on the main page and I happen to be one of the apparently few Canadians who isn't willing to look past Balsille's "hero of Canada" act to see that he's a lying, conniving snake (a view that I have in part because I see a lot of parallels to Balsille in what happened to the Vancouver Grizzlies with Bill Laurie and Michael Heisley), and as someone who backs a "non-traditional" market and is sick of fans from Canada and the northeastern US (the "traditional" markets) who bash sun-belt and southern expansion, I have to respond to the above post with teh following:

Come again?

You're going to discredit a source because "people can write anything" and then you try and back your point up with unresearched, unverified, and in some cases outright false material. A specific example can be found in your assertion that the Sharks are a team that struggles to fill seats.

The Shark tank's capacity is just a shade under 17,500 (like 4-6 seats short of that mark)

Attendence levels:
08-09 - 17,488
07-08 - 17,411
06-07 - 17,422
05-06 - 16,831
LOCKOUT
03-04 - 15,835
02-03 - 17,350
01-02 - 17,422
00-01 - 17,468

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/attendance

Yeah, look at those terrible attendance figures, what with their near sellouts almost every season except 05-06 (post-lockout trepidation) and 03-04 (the wheels came off in 02-03 and the team finished its worst since the mid 90s. That's bound to scare people off)

Also consider that Tampa Bay has done quite well until last season's ridiculous gong-show, and Carolina has picked up a lot in the last few seasons, and Dallas does fairly well too.

Of course there's also the fact that a gigantic portion of the drive to go back to Canada rests on the fact that the Canadian dollar can now support hockey in these smaller markets like Hamilton/Winnipeg/Quebec City/every other area that's been touted for an NHL team. What if the dollar drops back down to $0.60? What if we end up right back where we started 10-15 years ago that led to teams moving. And then of course there's the issue of the population of these areas. Is it any coincidence that the 6 NHL cities are also the country's 6 most populous cities and the only 6 with more than 1 million people in them? And that no other NHL city, save Raleigh, has less than 1 million people in its metro area?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada#Demographics
http://www.statshockey.net/nhlcities.html

Look, I'm all for Canada's identity as teh hockey country. And yes some US markets are much tougher sells than some Canadian markets. But even setting aside the incorrect elements of your post, it's not always purely about how much this country loves hockey more than the US. And you can look right into Tennessee for an example. By all accounts Tennessee loves basketball. There are some big-time NCAA programs in the state that draw in fans. Tennessee and Memphis are both routinely in the top 15 to top 25 schools in the country in terms of Mens D1 basketball attendance, with Memphis in particular often being top 10. Clearly there is high support for the sport of basketball in the state and professional ball would do well there, right?

http://web1.ncaa.org/web_files/stats...ceYBYtop25.pdf

Let's look at the illustrious history of the Memphis Grizzlies (which it simultaneously pains me and warms me to do, since on the one hand it's tough to see my old team struggling, but it also proves that the team was no worse off here in terms of support)

The team played in two arenas in its time there, with capacities no less than about 18,000 in either case. Now I don't have figures for the first year, but since 02-03, they have never reached a per-game average of 17,000. In most cases they sat somewhere in the 14k-15k range and for the past 3 or 4 seasons have struggled to break 13k and stay above the attendance cellar. This from a state that loves the sport, and in particular a city that ranks among the best in NCAA turnout.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/attendance?year=2009

The same thing can happen in Canada. Oh sure, we've got all these smaller cities that go nuts for CHL hockey and can sell out a Jr game like nobody's business. But that does not guarantee that smaller hockey markets will be just as rabid for pro hockey and just as capable of supporting it? I would wager that it doesn't. Some markets just aren't built for certain variations of the sport. Just like how hockey-mad Toronto can't seem to get behind the Marlies and get them to even half-fill their arena most of the time (I can't find a good link with yearly attendance, but wikipedia's article does note that they got barely 2,800 people to the team's 1st playoff game, in an arena that seats a little over 8,000)

Ok, I apologize for taking up so much space and time in this thread especially since Nashville is not at the center of this whole debate. I just felt that the comments of the quoted poster deserved to be answered in as complete a fashion as possible in order to demonstrate where they were wrong and how some of those comments and attitudes do not make the pro-balsille camp any better off or more in the right.

thanks for your time everyone and I now return you to your regularly scheduled Balsille-bashing. Have fun, and know that you've got supporters both in other non-traditional market fanbases and even among born-and-bred Canadians

EDIT: oh yeah, and please keep the personal attacks out of the equation. Hate the opinion all you want. Even pull it apart piece by piece. But you cannot cross the line and mock or insult the person who holds said opinion. Thanks again.

__________________

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 45 GP, 17-21-7 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:22 AM
  #16
sparkle twin
Real Deal
 
sparkle twin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hendersonville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,955
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
Sorry boys, but being a Canadian, no matter what crap is printed about him, I love the guy!!

He is trying to bring CANADA's game back to Canada a bit. Since the states have stolen a few of our teams already.

The states have Football, Baseball, and Basketball, hockey is ours forever! We always dominate at every Olympics or whatever, Canada has the most medals and are the king of all countries for hockey.

So with all that said, why is there only 6 out of 30 teams Canadian?? Hockey just simply does better in Canada.

I am a HUGE preds fan, living in Canada, but I GUARANTEE if Balsillie had of bought the Preds we would be most likely in Stanley Cup contention now and would not have lost half our team. We would also be able to sign free agents and actually make trades. AND.. the Predators would be a TON more profitable playing out of Winnpieg, Hamilton, Kitchener, or wherever in Canada.
It's not crap, it's the truth. The guy is a scumball. There are 30 BOG members and NOT ONE voted to approve him. Why? The guy refused to play by any rules, tried to manipulate a city government and when it came time to make an agreement binding, refused to pay up.

No one is stealing your game. The game is growing with more and more people playing and watching. Do you know that there were 0 high school hockey teams before the Predators came? Today high school hockey is one of the fastest growing sports.

Don't even suggest about being a cup contender. We had a cup contending team, then Leipold sold the team and made Poile dump salary. If there was no sale, we most likely would have kept the team in tact as much as possible and have been competing with Detroit/San Jose for the top spots, not just 8th spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
People can write anything!! I could write up an article to make you think anything about anyone if I worked for tsn or espn. Look at Eklund!! people still believe some of the crap out of his mouth/pen!

All I am saying is this,

I understand where you are coming from with economically you need teams in the states, but I mean have teams in the states like, Detroit, NYR, Colorado, Buffalo, St.Louis, Chicago, Philly, Washington, New Jersey, Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, Boston, or Minnesota. And then have the rest in Canada, or at least more than 6!!
WHy even bother with teams like Carolina, Tampa bay, Phoenix, Florida, San Jose, Dallas, and yes.. unfortunately Nashville. These teams ALL struggle to fill seats.


If Balsillie had of bought Nashville, this franchise would have ALOT more money being tossed around, sold out arena in Canada every night, and an instantly bigger fanbase than whatever it is in Nashville. I hate to say it guys, buts those are the facts.

It seems pointless to have this team now. We cannot afford ANYONE to help push for playoffs, the arena struggles to sellout, people in a state like Tennessee would rather watch Football, Baseball, or Basketball ANYDAY over hockey. and in Canada its the opposite, I do not know many canadians that dont say their favourite sport is hockey.



So answer that one,

there are at least ten american teams that could do better in Canada without a doubt.
Football, baseball, basketball don't necessarily do better in every city. You don't live here so you don't know, but basketball doesn't really resonate here at all, it's below hockey. Unless it is UT or Vandy basketball, and they are winning (because that IS key) no one really cares about basketball. The Grizzlies get absolutely NO coverage here and don't get much support even in Memphis.

They ALL struggle? San Jose hasn't had an empty seat in over a year maybe 2 (OH I was way off, try almost 10 years near sold out). Tampa, Anaheim, Carolina and Dallas were sold out after winning the cup. Phoenix, Florida haven't made the playoffs in over 7 years and generally had bad teams. I seem to recall some Canadian teams that had to block sections of their arena because they couldn't fill them back when the teams were struggling.

You can't put a team in every city in Canada just because that city loves hockey. There are plenty of cities in the US that love football as much as some Canadian cities love hockey but it just would not work putting a team in that city. Not every city can support a professional sports team. Fan attendance is not the end all be all when it comes to whether a team can survive or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
That is my opinion, everyone is entitled to one, whether you like it or not.

Are you arguing Nashville franchise would do better in Nashville over Hamilton??? is this true????

Yes I realize my name is of american player also, what does that have to do with this?? I also like some european guys, why not throw an NHL team in Russia?? Sweden???

This is supposed to be a board to just talk about your opinions, maybe I have different views, you do not have to reply to what I write, but show some respect. I am not bashing you guys. That is ridiculous.
Why is it OK to put a team in Russia, Sweeden or anywhere in Europe but it's so damn wrong to have a team in the southern US? It's a ****ing line on a map!!!!! If this was one big country, the United States of Canada or whatever, would it be so wrong to have a team down here in the southern USC? But because of an aribitrary line it's Oh so wrong.

It's fine to have an opinion and even like JB. But to come on here, the Preds board, the team that he was going to try to move in the middle of the night under cover of litigation (that was in the deposition, you should actually read the whole thing for once) and expect us to be nice when you sit there as a supposed Preds fan and talk glowingly about him is ridiculous.

Why the hell are you even a Predators fan? You think the Preds can't work here, that no one cares about hockey, so why do you care? I just don't understand, when you have 6 all-mighty canadian teams, why you choose to cheer for a trying-to-steal-your-game Nashville, American team.


Last edited by sparkle twin: 08-07-2009 at 03:36 AM.
sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:27 AM
  #17
lightning_legwand*
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Ontario, CANADA
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,202
vCash: 500
I just made my point that he is trying essentially to do a good thing. Balisillie is just a guy trying to bring a team to Canada because we are lacking.

I was just making a simple point, I obivously am a fan, just a fan that wishes the owners would spend a cent here and there.


I have proven my facts, it has been proven on national television, maybe JB didnt go about it the best way, but he has good intentions.

You guys are making a bad name for Nashville fans by freaking out so much.


Last edited by Enoch: 08-07-2009 at 09:40 AM. Reason: If you don't keep the personal attacks to a minimum, I will personally see to it that it ends .....
lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:47 AM
  #18
sparkle twin
Real Deal
 
sparkle twin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Hendersonville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 2,955
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
But you're going about it in a completely, totally ridiculous way.

We've been told since DAY ONE that we don't deserve a team and how unqualified we are to even watch the game. Then JB tries to steal our team.

Now we have one of our own "fans" come on here and tell us what a saint JB is and that hockey won't work here in Nashville and we're stupid for reacting this way?

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 04:19 AM
  #19
DisgruntledHawkFan
Moderator
 
DisgruntledHawkFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 24,433
vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to DisgruntledHawkFan
I hate the Predators, but that's simply because whenever I go to watch my Hawks live they always seem to lose against you guys. Nobody deserves to lose a team, and JB is a lying snake. If anybody can't agree on those two facts, take whatever they have to say with a grain of salt.

DisgruntledHawkFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 04:41 AM
  #20
worstfaceoffmanever
These Snacks Are Odd
 
worstfaceoffmanever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Winston-Salem, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 12,492
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
By all accounts Tennessee loves basketball football.
Very few people between the two sets of banks of the Tennessee River - where most of the Predators' season ticket holders and fans in general come from - really cares about basketball beyond the high school level.

Tennessee is a football state. Kentucky is much more of a basketball state, without question.

worstfaceoffmanever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 08:38 AM
  #21
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,356
vCash: 500
Tennessee is football country but working in high school athletics hockey is growing.....quickly. Funny thing is that it's actually football coaches who are pushing it because the toughness and physicality makes it the perfect off-season training for their football players. I know that schools in Chattanooga were pushing to rebuild the Chattanooga Choo-Choo rink so hockey teams could be formed. If the private schools of Chattanooga were to form teams, I can guarentee 3 new teams and possibly a public 4th.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 09:15 AM
  #22
Jarnberg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 5,485
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post
I just made my point that he is trying essentially to do a good thing. Balisillie is just a guy trying to bring a team to Canada because we are lacking.
I don't think alot of us would have had a problem with Balsillie had he gone through the expansion process and gotten a team that way. Yet somehow, I still do not think that that move would make alot of the Pro-Balsillie/Nationalistic/Canadian (not painting all Canadian fans as this, you know the ones I'm talking about) posters on here happy. These "fans of hockey" that I am describing do not care about there being simply a team. They want a team relocated from the US. Like that is somehow going to make up for franchises being moved out of Canada in the past.

I can't speak for everyone, but before I learned about all of Balsillie's antics, I would not have had a problem with the guy owning a team had he gone through the expansion process. But now he's simply trying to poach teams in bad situations. Even that wouldn't be AS bad. But after reading about all of the various methods he is using, including going behind the NHL and other owner's backs, I don't want this guy apart of hockey at all (and judging by the owne'rs votes, which actually matter, they agree). And I cannot see how you would ever want this guy to be an owner in your city; he may keep the team there, but who knows what else he would do to the NHL.

And for all the people cheerleading allowing him to win a case where the NHL rules about franchise relocation are not upheld, then you better be careful with picking your poison. Things haven't always been rosey revenue wise in some parts of Canada NHL wise; if things ever turned sour again, don't come crying when the NHL cannot do anything because of the Phoenix case.

Again, not speaking for everyone, I don't think alot of us have a problem with more teams in Canada. Its just the way Balsillie is trying to do it, trying to screw the NHL in the process.

Jarnberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 09:34 AM
  #23
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,302
vCash: 500
LL, if the basis of your argument is that teams were "stolen" from Canada, so they should thus be "stolen" back, your argument collapses there.

I'm not sure how old you are, but I will say that I'm old enough to clearly remember not only the circumstances that surrounded the relocation of the Nordiques, Jets and Whalers, but also the seasons that preceded them. There was no "theft" involved. These teams struggled to fill small arenas for years prior to the moves, and when the time came for someone to step up and try to KEEP the teams where they were, no one did so. People can go on and on about how "Bettman is a thief" and "Balsillie is just taking back what is ours," but the facts disagree. Nashville is still where they are because they had something that none of those three teams did: a group of locals that cared enough to step up. Now, admittedly the arenas were a big part of the problem in all three cases, but again...if you can't find the means to HOUSE your team, you're kind of stuck on the bottom floor, aren't you? Though I'm not sure that's even relevant, since all three teams (the Nords less so) had poor attendance as it was.

And LL...i'm not sure how long you've been a Predators fan, but we've NEVER been a big budget team. We never have, we never will...but that's what many of us love so much. Year after year, we find castoffs from other teams that somehow find a way to shine....Scott Walker, Kimmo Timonen, Tomas Vokoun, most recently Dan Ellis and Joel Ward. And up until last year, we had made the playoffs four years in a row...which put us in pretty elite company with only teams like Detroit and the Sharks. If you're going to continually be depressed and frustrated because we're not hurling 12 year contracts at Marian Hossa...save your sanity and root for the Canadiens. That's not the philosophy of this team, and I wouldn't want it to be. And as for the team being more successful\having more money in Hamilton...maybe, but they'd lose their identity. I think the fanbase here....the cellblock, the people i see down at the glass an hour before EVERY single game...we may not have the numbers of some teams, but I'd put our die-hards up against ANY team in the league. If the Predators had moved to Hamilton, they'd be the Predators in name only. The identity and my will to ever cheer for them again would be gone.

This is all lost on you because you don't live here, don't go to the games, and couldn't begin to identify. It's easy to post this stuff on a messageboard, but until you've actually experienced it and been a part of the silly goal songs\chants or 3 minute, unprovoked standing ovations, you'll never really understand or have any perspective.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 09:41 AM
  #24
Enoch
This is my boomstick
 
Enoch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Cookeville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 12,644
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
I don't think alot of us would have had a problem with Balsillie had he gone through the expansion process and gotten a team that way. Yet somehow, I still do not think that that move would make alot of the Pro-Balsillie/Nationalistic/Canadian (not painting all Canadian fans as this, you know the ones I'm talking about) posters on here happy. These "fans of hockey" that I am describing do not care about there being simply a team. They want a team relocated from the US. Like that is somehow going to make up for franchises being moved out of Canada in the past.

I can't speak for everyone, but before I learned about all of Balsillie's antics, I would not have had a problem with the guy owning a team had he gone through the expansion process. But now he's simply trying to poach teams in bad situations. Even that wouldn't be AS bad. But after reading about all of the various methods he is using, including going behind the NHL and other owner's backs, I don't want this guy apart of hockey at all (and judging by the owne'rs votes, which actually matter, they agree). And I cannot see how you would ever want this guy to be an owner in your city; he may keep the team there, but who knows what else he would do to the NHL.

And for all the people cheerleading allowing him to win a case where the NHL rules about franchise relocation are not upheld, then you better be careful with picking your poison. Things haven't always been rosey revenue wise in some parts of Canada NHL wise; if things ever turned sour again, don't come crying when the NHL cannot do anything because of the Phoenix case.

Again, not speaking for everyone, I don't think alot of us have a problem with more teams in Canada. Its just the way Balsillie is trying to do it, trying to screw the NHL in the process.
Agreed.

__________________
- Enoch -
Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 09:58 AM
  #25
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,356
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrytrotzsneck View Post
LL, if the basis of your argument is that teams were "stolen" from Canada, so they should thus be "stolen" back, your argument collapses there.

I'm not sure how old you are, but I will say that I'm old enough to clearly remember not only the circumstances that surrounded the relocation of the Nordiques, Jets and Whalers, but also the seasons that preceded them. There was no "theft" involved. These teams struggled to fill small arenas for years prior to the moves, and when the time came for someone to step up and try to KEEP the teams where they were, no one did so. People can go on and on about how "Bettman is a thief" and "Balsillie is just taking back what is ours," but the facts disagree. Nashville is still where they are because they had something that none of those three teams did: a group of locals that cared enough to step up. Now, admittedly the arenas were a big part of the problem in all three cases, but again...if you can't find the means to HOUSE your team, you're kind of stuck on the bottom floor, aren't you? Though I'm not sure that's even relevant, since all three teams (the Nords less so) had poor attendance as it was.

And LL...i'm not sure how long you've been a Predators fan, but we've NEVER been a big budget team. We never have, we never will...but that's what many of us love so much. Year after year, we find castoffs from other teams that somehow find a way to shine....Scott Walker, Kimmo Timonen, Tomas Vokoun, most recently Dan Ellis and Joel Ward. And up until last year, we had made the playoffs four years in a row...which put us in pretty elite company with only teams like Detroit and the Sharks. If you're going to continually be depressed and frustrated because we're not hurling 12 year contracts at Marian Hossa...save your sanity and root for the Canadiens. That's not the philosophy of this team, and I wouldn't want it to be. And as for the team being more successful\having more money in Hamilton...maybe, but they'd lose their identity. I think the fanbase here....the cellblock, the people i see down at the glass an hour before EVERY single game...we may not have the numbers of some teams, but I'd put our die-hards up against ANY team in the league. If the Predators had moved to Hamilton, they'd be the Predators in name only. The identity and my will to ever cheer for them again would be gone.

This is all lost on you because you don't live here, don't go to the games, and couldn't begin to identify. It's easy to post this stuff on a messageboard, but until you've actually experienced it and been a part of the silly goal songs\chants or 3 minute, unprovoked standing ovations, you'll never really understand or have any perspective.



BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.