HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

FYI: Balsille's treachery revealed

Old
08-07-2009, 11:07 AM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by lightning_legwand View Post

You guys are making a bad name for Nashville fans by freaking out so much.
I'm not sure if I should , or just at baiting like this.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 01:32 PM
Cactus Jack

Send a message via MSN to Cactus Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
Have you ever taken a marketing or business class?

Have you ever heard of market saturation?

Have you ever actually polled Canadians to see exactly how many of them couldn't care less about hockey?
There is no market saturation for hockey in Canada. Even when we had 8 NHL teams, we still had over 60 CHL teams, countless tier 2 junior teams, several AHL teams and countless minor hockey teams and all have good attendance all over the country. Not to mention how often Canada hosts the world juniors, world championships, the olympics (2 in 20 years), Max Midget tournament, etc. I repeat again, there is no market saturation for hockey in Canada.

Cactus Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 01:42 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
There is no market saturation for hockey in Canada. Even when we had 8 NHL teams, we still had over 60 CHL teams, countless tier 2 junior teams, several AHL teams and countless minor hockey teams and all have good attendance all over the country. Not to mention how often Canada hosts the world juniors, world championships, the olympics (2 in 20 years), Max Midget tournament, etc. I repeat again, there is no market saturation for hockey in Canada.
And the attendance for some of those items was Crap. Look at the attendance figures for the CIS and the Hamilton Bulldogs. To Canadians when you say hockey it means only two things: the NHL and Juniors. They frankly couldn't give a damn about the other leagues. And that is a direct quote from 5-6 Canadians I personally know living in Hamilton.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 02:02 PM
lightning_legwand*

Ok guys,

I admit that I approached this the wrong way. But up in here Canada there is a TON of people that think Balsillie is doing a great thing, whether he is approaching it or not, the general basis is that he is doing something good for us as a country.

The only reasons I thought it was cool is Nashville came here, is because then my favourite team would be located less than an hour from me, instead of 14 hours, lol.

I obviously love the Preds in Nashville as well, I wanted to say I have liked a team EVER since they were a team, and when we lost our first ever game to Florida 1-0, I was sittin in front of the tv cheering them on!

Also, it was said about the Nordiques, Jets, etc, struggling in small markets so they moved. We if we didn't get a better scenario in place like we did, we were VERY close to losing the Oilers and Senators as well. So if teams that are struggling in small markets, like "SOME" american teams in the NHL, why not put them in Canada where they will most likely thrive?? not ALL american teams but some.

We could easily have and support a team in Hamilton, Victoria (British Columbia), or maybe even a team where we have to teams in that province like, Nova Scotia (Crosby was born and raised), Manitoba, or Saskatchewan. Those places have an entire province for fans!

Also, I know that we are a low budget team, but I mean it was only a couple years ago when we had,

Kariya, Sullivan, Timonen, Zidlicky, Arnott, Vokoun, Forsberg, Dumont, etc etc.

Also, I am 25 years old for those who wanted to know. I am learning more about politics of the game as I go, but all in all, I still think it makes sense to put a "few" teams in Canada from the states. Is that fair to say???

lightning_legwand* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Ok guys,

I admit that I approached this the wrong way. But up in here Canada there is a TON of people that think Balsillie is doing a great thing, whether he is approaching it or not, the general basis is that he is doing something good for us as a country.

The only reasons I thought it was cool is Nashville came here, is because then my favourite team would be located less than an hour from me, instead of 14 hours, lol.

I obviously love the Preds in Nashville as well, I wanted to say I have liked a team EVER since they were a team, and when we lost our first ever game to Florida 1-0, I was sittin in front of the tv cheering them on!

Also, it was said about the Nordiques, Jets, etc, struggling in small markets so they moved. We if we didn't get a better scenario in place like we did, we were VERY close to losing the Oilers and Senators as well. So if teams that are struggling in small markets, like "SOME" american teams in the NHL, why not put them in Canada where they will most likely thrive?? not ALL american teams but some.

We could easily have and support a team in Hamilton, Victoria (British Columbia), or maybe even a team where we have to teams in that province like, Nova Scotia (Crosby was born and raised), Manitoba, or Saskatchewan. Those places have an entire province for fans!

Also, I know that we are a low budget team, but I mean it was only a couple years ago when we had,

Also, I am 25 years old for those who wanted to know. I am learning more about politics of the game as I go, but all in all, I still think it makes sense to put a "few" teams in Canada from the states. Is that fair to say???
How about a team in Vegas & a 2nd team in Toronto ?

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:25 PM
dulzhok

I think the fact he was rejected by all 30 owners is telling sign of all this.

Obviously all are smart business men. It would be in their best interest for the Coyotes to sell for 212 million, as it'd likely increase the value of their franchises. It'd be in their best interest to sell more tickets (as Hamilton says they'd do). But, it all comes back to the reoccurring proof that this guy is sleaze. Despite the money that he's willing to throw around, a group of 30 distinguished businessmen want nothing to do with they guy, because they think, in the long run, it will hurt their business. INCLUDING all six Canadian teams.

Leipold... I don't have any more respect for the guy... though I already had a some respect. Where he lost respect with me is with the purchase of the Minnesota Wild. It was his right to trade the team if he wanted. If he was losing money, it was his right to trade guys like Hartnell, Timonen, Vokoun. But, he apparently did this while knowing he may purchase the Wild. It's like the CEO of Apple laying off their top employees and then going to work Microsoft. Thats where he lost my respect. I honestly don't think he should have been approved to buy the Wild after blowing up the Predators.

dulzhok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:37 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cactus Jack View Post
Yes there is. The Bulldogs attendance is in teh middle of the AHL pack and the Marlies are near the bottom. CHL teams move around/fold/spring up at a ridiculous rate especially in Eastern Canada, and basically nobody gives a crap about Jr B (I'd be shocked if more than 500 people per game show up for the Jr B team in my city)

There absolutely is market saturation for hockey in Canada.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."

Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:57 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Originally Posted by dulzhok View Post
I think the fact he was rejected by all 30 owners is telling sign of all this.

Obviously all are smart business men. It would be in their best interest for the Coyotes to sell for 212 million, as it'd likely increase the value of their franchises. It'd be in their best interest to sell more tickets (as Hamilton says they'd do). But, it all comes back to the reoccurring proof that this guy is sleaze. Despite the money that he's willing to throw around, a group of 30 distinguished businessmen want nothing to do with they guy, because they think, in the long run, it will hurt their business. INCLUDING all six Canadian teams.

Leipold... I don't have any more respect for the guy... though I already had a some respect. Where he lost respect with me is with the purchase of the Minnesota Wild. It was his right to trade the team if he wanted. If he was losing money, it was his right to trade guys like Hartnell, Timonen, Vokoun. But, he apparently did this while knowing he may purchase the Wild. It's like the CEO of Apple laying off their top employees and then going to work Microsoft. Thats where he lost my respect. I honestly don't think he should have been approved to buy the Wild after blowing up the Predators.
Who knows what other damage he has done behind some other owners backs in their cities. We all now that he created major distrust between the Team, City gov. and fans here which lead to some loss of fan support. It did cost Leipold money to defend the case and in lost revenue from lost ticket sales. Certainly he or Rodier both could have done it in Atlanta, Tampa, Florida, ect...

He's scum plain and simple. He would continue to try to derail hockey here as a member of the BOG just to push his makeit30 agenda. If he does succeed in Phoenix when the Hamilton Slimeballs play here we should give him a cellblock welcome. Imagine 3 full hours of Bald-Silly Bald-Silly Bald-Silly YOU SUCK!!!!

Last edited by Gnashville: 08-07-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Gnashville
Never trade Weber

Quote:
Ok guys,

You REALLY need to talk to Steve Sullivan and some of his family members before posting about hockey support in Nashville. I think someone here sat with them one game and they were raving all kind of love on the fans here.

Hockey is quickly become the number 2 sport in this state behind Football. I travel the state considerably and everywhere I go I either see people with Predators hats, license plates, shirts, ect.. or people ask about the team to me when I were my gear. I happens all the time. Honestly I saw more Predators stuff in Memphis last year than Grizzlies.

Baldsilly tried to poison the market and failed, that ought to prove how strong the support is here. We had 3X the people show up for a save the team rally (after the locals had already pretty much bought and saved the team BTW) than Hamilton did for a makeit7 rally. 15,000 plus showed up on a Thursday in July starting at 6AM and ending at around 9 PM some of them stayed the entire day.

Excuse us for being a little defensive but we continue to hear how inferior we are, and it's getting very old. No one really hates Canada here or wants to see less teams there. It's just how Baldsilly is doing it. He never was going to give this city a chance. He lied and decieved our former owner, lied to Gary Bettman, wrote a phony letter to the Sports council claiming he would keep the team here and was taking Hamilton Predator tickets deposits at the same time. Now it's come out he was going to move the team in the middle of the night without even steeping foot here.

We never stole the game from Canadians, it's just we want to share it with you.

Last edited by Gnashville: 08-07-2009 at 04:47 PM.
Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 05:18 PM
Big Daddy

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=286141

Old story but this cracks me up! To summarize, bylaw 35 basically states that the league can reject potential owners if it does not believe they are of good character and integrity.

Why not just call him a child molester or politician. This is the worst kind of rejection any businessman of character could have thrust upon them. Sad thing is I'm sure ole Jim isn't even fazed by it. I would be curious to see how many times a company of comparable size has been sued compared to his company.

Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 05:42 PM
taxman309

When everybody talks about Balsillie/Rodier bringing teams back to Canada, why is it that they forget the first team Balsillie tried to buy and move to Hamilton was the Ottawa Senators? Is Ottawa in the US now?

taxman309 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 06:03 PM
Big Daddy

Because its funner to focus on his recent failures. Look, its not a US v Canada issue with most people. The same tenaciousness that grew his business to the leader in business wireless is the fault that has ruined any chance to become an NHL owner. He pissed in the pool trying to work around the other owners/league instead of coming in, looking at the lay of the land, biding his time, and doing it the right way. Nobody to blame but himself and his advisers. Character matters.

Big Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 06:38 PM
xEx

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nemesis View Post
What if the dollar drops back down to $0.60?
Dollar goes down, cap goes down. I bet the NHL would like to see the Canadian dollar go down, so there would be less revenues and a lower cap.

I'm a Nashville fan in Winnipeg, and it sucks to lose a team. There is no way a city should lose a team. You can't put a team and Nashville and expect it to just take off. Give it time and the next generation of fans will help fill the arena.

I wouldn't shed a tear if Phoenix is moved back to Canada. The only way I see Nashville ever moving is if attendance drops and clauses within the lease agreement kick in. And unless that occurs through owners operating in bad faith the fans/Bettman would be the only ones to blame.

We just had a charity exhibition game last night at the MTS Centre with a bunch of Winnipeg boys. Towes, Barker, Tootoo, Dawes, Helm and a few others. Cost was $20 and only 5,000 showed up. So sometimes even I doubt whether Winnipeg is ready for the NHL again. I think we'd face the same challenges as Nashville, the middle and upper sections would be sold out, but the lower bowl would be more challenging.

Stay thirsty my friends.

xEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 10:50 PM
braindead

Some people are Predators fans.

Some people are Nashville Predators fans.

Big difference.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 01:21 AM
sparkle twin
I luv u summertime

Send a message via ICQ to sparkle twin Send a message via AIM to sparkle twin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post

I can't speak for everyone, but before I learned about all of Balsillie's antics, I would not have had a problem with the guy owning a team had he gone through the expansion process. But now he's simply trying to poach teams in bad situations. Even that wouldn't be AS bad. But after reading about all of the various methods he is using, including going behind the NHL and other owner's backs, I don't want this guy apart of hockey at all (and judging by the owne'rs votes, which actually matter, they agree). And I cannot see how you would ever want this guy to be an owner in your city; he may keep the team there, but who knows what else he would do to the NHL.

Again, not speaking for everyone, I don't think alot of us have a problem with more teams in Canada. Its just the way Balsillie is trying to do it, trying to screw the NHL in the process.
This is Exactly right. I don't have a problem with more teams in Canada. But after everything we knew and know now about Balsillie and his attempts to steal teams, I just don't want Balsillie to ever be a part of the NHL.

sparkle twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-08-2009, 11:58 AM
Jovavic
Lose to CBJ?

Send a message via AIM to Jovavic
This guy is a tool and I hate seeing his ugly face on tsn.ca every time I go there. He has that look on his face like he's a sleezy used car salesman, ugh.

Jovavic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-12-2009, 12:04 PM
Predaceous

And he's not done screwing people over.

http://network.nationalpost.com/np/b...-circuses.aspx

D

Predaceous is offline   Reply With Quote