HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Jeremy Roenick: One Black Mark On An Otherwise Stellar Career

Old
08-07-2009, 02:22 AM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

vCash: 500

An op-ed/analysis piece to provide some balance to all the stories that gush and glow about Jeremy Roenick upon his retirement...

FrozenRoyalty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 10:39 AM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenRoyalty View Post

An op-ed/analysis piece to provide some balance to all the stories that gush and glow about Jeremy Roenick upon his retirement...
BRAVO!!

That article should be a required companion piece to every fawning Roenick tribute in the future.

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 3578
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
He may have a couple of black marks, but the man was a very good hockey player - one of the last pure ones around. Regardless of how we think of him for using LA as a vacation spot for a season, he was still a world class player - it is sad to see this generation slip away The hockey of my youth has almost completely faded.

“Every good army needs a couple of criminals.” - Dean Lombardi
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 02:08 PM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
He may have a couple of black marks, but the man was a very good hockey player - one of the last pure ones around. Regardless of how we think of him for using LA as a vacation spot for a season, he was still a world class player - it is sad to see this generation slip away The hockey of my youth has almost completely faded.
As I wrote, Roenick deserves all the accolades he is getting after an outstanding career and he will undoubtedly be inducted into the Hockey Hall of Fame as soon as he is eligible and rightly so. But his season with the Kings is a glaring stain on his otherwise fantastic record of achievement and, on balance, it should've been pointed out by someone...so I decided to do it.

Old
08-07-2009, 02:14 PM
KingsCast

Send a message via AIM to KingsCast
Actually, the following season with Phoenix was another black mark. Remember the infamous "restaurant incident".

KingsCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 02:39 PM
LAX attack*

Send a message via AIM to LAX attack*
No way the guy gets in the HHOF IMO

LAX attack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 02:42 PM
Quattro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsCast View Post
Actually, the following season with Phoenix was another black mark. Remember the infamous "restaurant incident".
don't forget Nagano either

Quattro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 02:50 PM
DeeMeck

vCash: 50
Although I wasn’t a fan of Roenick when he was here, I do like him overall. His “protest” of the lock-out dragged him down alot of pegs in my book.

BUT, one great thing he did in L.A., there was a Canada trip where he stayed in L.A. with a fractured foot. The Kings had 2 forwards get hurt in the 1st game of the series…he jumped on a plane with with Jeff Cowan, who was also injured, and they went up and played injured until the relief from Manchester came.

Something that I will always remember. You definitely have to have some commitment to a team to hop a plane and risk further injury for.

DeeMeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 02:54 PM
Maynard

Send a message via AIM to Maynard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doughty Number 8 View Post
You can't be serious with this.
Posted via Mobile Device

Maynard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:01 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
I hate the man, but get real. You were too young to see him in his heyday I know but do a little research.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:06 PM
Rerun

I've always considered the man to be a loud mouthed boor who actually believes he was better than he was.

Rerun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:07 PM
RightKinger

Jeremy Roenick played for the Kings? That's news to me...

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:38 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
You can't be serious with this.
Posted via Mobile Device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
I hate the man, but get real. You were too young to see him in his heyday I know but do a little research.
No sort of awards, no post season success, top-5 in points only once in his career

Oh right, I forgot he's an American that got 500 goals. I guess thats his ticket in

Old
08-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:
No sort of awards, no post season success, top-5 in points only once in his career

Oh right, I forgot he's an American that got 500 goals. I guess thats his ticket in
500 goals is a ticket in for most players. Roenick was also one of the elite players in the game in the nineties. A true game breaker.

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 04:25 PM
Puck U
2012 SC CHAMPIONS !

Quote:
No sort of awards, no post season success, top-5 in points only once in his career ... Oh right, I forgot he's an American that got 500 goals. I guess thats his ticket in
One of only 4 Americans to do it ... He's one of 24 players with at least 500 goals and 700 assists, and 17 of them are in the Hall of Fame. Roenick was a nine-time NHL ALL-STAR and a two-time Olympian w/ a Silver Medal. He was a key part of the 1991 Blackhawks that won the Presidents' Trophy and reached the Stanley Cup final. Chicago lost to the Pittsburgh Penguins.

Puck U is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 05:16 PM
William H Bonney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puck U View Post
One of only 4 Americans to do it ... He's one of 24 players with at least 500 goals and 700 assists, and 17 of them are in the Hall of Fame. Roenick was a nine-time NHL ALL-STAR and a two-time Olympian w/ a Silver Medal. He was a key part of the 1991 Blackhawks that won the Presidents' Trophy and reached the Stanley Cup final. Chicago lost to the Pittsburgh Penguins.
Not to mention he won a silver in the 1991 Canada Cup as well as making the all-tournament team.

One thing I don't like about the argument that JR doesn't deserve the HHOF because he never won the cup is that those who argue that case make it seem like he disappeared in the playoffs. He had 122 points in 154 games in the playoffs, and only missed the postseason 3 times in his career (Coyotes, Kings, Coyotes).

The guy was an absolute warrior that had a shorter peak then we all would have liked due to his reckless style of play. I fear the same thing will happen to Ovechkin.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 05:31 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by William H Bonney View Post
Not to mention he won a silver in the 1991 Canada Cup as well as making the all-tournament team.

One thing I don't like about the argument that JR doesn't deserve the HHOF because he never won the cup is that those who argue that case make it seem like he disappeared in the playoffs. He had 122 points in 154 games in the playoffs, and only missed the postseason 3 times in his career (Coyotes, Kings, Coyotes).

The guy was an absolute warrior that had a shorter peak then we all would have liked due to his reckless style of play. I fear the same thing will happen to Ovechkin.
Ovechkin has already done far more in his short career than Roenick had ever done in his.

I will bet my avatar for the next 2 years that Roenick is not a 1st year inductee.

Players with mediocre and short peaks with very little tangible success don't get in in the first ballot.

If he were Canadian he would never be considered

Old
08-07-2009, 06:00 PM
FrozenRoyalty
HFB Partner

Quote:
Ovechkin has already done far more in his short career than Roenick had ever done in his.

I will bet my avatar for the next 2 years that Roenick is not a 1st year inductee.

Players with mediocre and short peaks with very little tangible success don't get in in the first ballot.

Wow...sorry, but if you think Ovechkin has already accomplished more in his NHL career than Roenick has in his, then you haven't been watching the same NHL as the rest of us.

Old
08-07-2009, 06:09 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenRoyalty View Post
Wow...sorry, but if you think Ovechkin has already accomplished more in his NHL career than Roenick has in his, then you haven't been watching the same NHL as the rest of us.
Doughty Number 8 is only 16 years old. He was still in diapers when Roenick was one of the best players in the league. Anyone who has watched hockey for more than 14 years knows what kind of player Roenick is.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 06:11 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Quote:

I think you ought to get out of this thread before the only face you have left is your avatar.

There is no shortage of Roenick haters on this board... I'm one of them. There is no denying he sucked major balls with the Kings, but to put down his career is to either have ridiculous standards that not even the HOF consider reasonable, or to let your emotions over one year of his career and/or your age block a real digestion of his career and how great a player he was.

**** JR. **** him in the butt. Several times. As sinister as possible. Meanly. And spit in his face.

But he still had a remarkable career and was dominating for much longer than 'a short peak'.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Gentle Ben Kenobi
That's no moon......

vCash: 863
Quote:

Do the rest of us a favor a quit while you are behind

Gentle Ben Kenobi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 06:27 PM
LAX attack*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo View Post
Do the rest of us a favor a quit while you are behind
Pray tell me, where did Jeremey get a Hart trophy

Oh my mistake, I meant 2

To go along with 2 Rocket Richard trophies and being the 1st team LW since he entered the league.

Also, I may add, the History of Hockey people would tend to agree with me, and as researchers of the game more than all of us, I trust their opinion.

Old
08-07-2009, 06:32 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

Sticking your guns huh?

Pretty soon you'll tell us that the Wallflowers are better than the Beatles...

Crap... that was my stupid generation... your's thinks that Incubus is heavy metal.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 06:32 PM
Captain Ron

Quote:
Pray tell me, where did Jeremey get a Hart trophy

Oh my mistake, I meant 2

To go along with 2 Rocket Richard trophies and being the 1st team LW since he entered the league.

Also, I may add, the History of Hockey people would tend to agree with me, and as researchers of the game more than all of us, I trust their opinion.
It is not all about trophies dude. You were too young to see how good Roenick was in his prime. So, since all you have to back up your position is stats and what you read on wikipedia you should just leave it alone.

Captain Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 06:37 PM
LAX attack*

I hope that one of you guys to the History of Hockey Section and brings this up. Make a thread in that section, asking for the opinions of HF's finest, and see what they say.