HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Vaclav Prospal to Habs?

Old
08-07-2009, 03:14 PM
Habs514

vCash: 500
Thanks but no thanks.

Habs514 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:18 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

YEEAHHno thanx kbye

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:19 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty Roy View Post
Double yuck.

I hate this guy...and not in that "i hate you cause your good and burn my team" way. He's softer than our smurfs. Not a solution at all.
He had about 126 hits last year. That would put him 5th on the team.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:20 PM
bipolarhabfan

Hope this works .

bipolarhabfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:21 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

It has to be the domino effect to a Lecavalier acquisition....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:22 PM
elsubz

1 Year at 2M? Sure why not.

elsubz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:27 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsubz View Post
1 Year at 2M? Sure why not.
Thing is D'agostini and Stewart need to be signed,if we sign those 2 + Prospal we have no more cap room during the season unless Gainey moves players or someone goes on the IR.If we are in a good position and wanna acquire a player at the deadline,it won't be easy.It's a risky move,I would pass

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:29 PM
11Goat11
Inside her

No Prospal, he wears riot gear on the ice for God's sake, it would be embarrassing.

11Goat11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:38 PM
euphrates

according to Eric Engels CKAC is reporting the Habs have offered a 2 way contract to Manny Fernandez which leads us to believe Halak day's are numbered with the Habs

euphrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:46 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by euphrates View Post
according to Eric Engels CKAC is reporting the Habs have offered a 2 way contract to Manny Fernandez which leads us to believe Halak day's are numbered with the Habs
Fernandez would be a decent option...if he's in decent shape.

As for Prospal, why not if he comes for cheap? He's a good player...I don't get all the hate.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:47 PM
BLONG7

Quote:
This is getting very interesting....BG is having himself one busy Bobby Clark type of summer...

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:50 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLONG7 View Post
This is getting very interesting....BG is having himself one busy Bobby Clark type of summer...
yes and thank God he won't be going after Roman Chechmanek!!

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:52 PM
prairie hab

As interested as I am in seeing what a potential move of Halak might bring about, I cringe in disgust of acquiring Manny Fernandez. He is just awful. His late season action with the Bruins last year was pathetic. He is finished IMO. His best days are 3-4 years behind him now. Sanford is easily better than Fernandez at this point.

What I don't get is why Halak needs to be moved in the first place?

For the quality of play he brings, his contract is unbelievably attractive (yes I know he is an RFA next year). If Price gets hurt, or falters (!!), it would be assuring to know that Halak is the next guy. I become more concerned if Sanford or Fernandez become the #2 option.

prairie hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Although he writes on Eklund's site, Engels is one guy I know has some insight on the team and he's usually quite fair in his assessments. Would there be a deal pending soon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post
For the quality of play he brings, his contract is unbelievably attractive (yes I know he is an RFA next year). If Price gets hurt, or falters (!!), it would be assuring to know that Halak is the next guy. I become more concerned if Sanford or Fernandez become the #2 option.
Can't say that the tandem worked too well for us last year, especially in the second half of the season...

Last edited by Habs10Habs: 08-08-2009 at 12:46 AM.
Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 04:08 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Done.

Plus he's due for a good year.

Kostitsyn - Gomez - Gionta
Cammalleri - Plekanec - Prospal
Latendresse - Lapierre - D'Agostini
Kostitsyn - Metropolit - Moen
Stewart, Chipchura

One Man Rock Band is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 04:11 PM

Man I thought he was at least 38 years old. I was surprised to see he's only 34.

68 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
As interested as I am in seeing what a potential move of Halak might bring about, I cringe in disgust of acquiring Manny Fernandez. He is just awful. His late season action with the Bruins last year was pathetic. He is finished IMO. His best days are 3-4 years behind him now. Sanford is easily better than Fernandez at this point.

The finished Fernandez you're talking about managed a 2.59GAA and a .91Sv in what you consider a horrible year for him.
That's quite some decent numbers for a backup.

The year before, he played 4Games and was horrible but that's nothing to base yourself on. The two previous seasons, he had a 2.55 and 2.29GAA with .91 and .92Sv.
So..I'd be more than happy to have a back up that can put up such numbers.

Sanford's numbers are worse than Manny's. They had a similar year last year but other than that he's been worse.

If we don't keep Halak, it's because Gainey is packaging him in a trade that will likely bolster our lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
Can't say that the tandem worked too well for us last year, especially in the second half of the season...

In all do fairness, that Tandem was poorly managed last season.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 04:17 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
3 possible reasons:

1- Halak asked to be traded IF they are thinking of going with Price for 60+ games.

2- The return is actually better than his actual worth

3- They start to believe in having a vet goalie to assist Price....finally.....

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 04:21 PM
We Want The 25
Go Habs Go

i dont even see the point for the 2way contract for manny he would be the ideal backup if he comes cheap i would be very happy if this came true halak has great potential i just dont think he will ever get an equal shot at the number 1 job and it will be better for the habs and him to move him to another team but i wont trade him for nothing either its gotta be a deal that makes sense for us

We Want The 25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
3 possible reasons:

1- Halak asked to be traded IF they are thinking of going with Price for 60+ games.

2- The return is actually better than his actual worth

3- They start to believe in having a vet goalie to assist Price....finally.....
I think Halak will be hard to re-sign. I fear the KHL card with him. When he re-sign, there was some rumors that he wanted more than he deserved. He wants a shot at a number one job...and he won't get it in Montreal. If his value is decent, I would move him and sign a veterant goaltender to do the job. Sanford is decent, but having another one would make a good battle in camp and would maximize our chance of getting a good duo.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 04:22 PM
prairie hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
The finished Fernandez you're talking about managed a 2.59GAA and a .91Sv in what you consider a horrible year for him.
That's quite some decent numbers for a backup.

The year before, he played 4Games and was horrible but that's nothing to base yourself on. The two previous seasons, he had a 2.55 and 2.29GAA with .91 and .92Sv.
So..I'd be more than happy to have a back up that can put up such numbers.

Sanford's numbers are worse than Manny's. They had a similar year last year but other than that he's been worse.

If we don't keep Halak, it's because Gainey is packaging him in a trade that will likely bolster our lineup.

In all do fairness, that Tandem was poorly managed last season.
Kriss I would not get buried too much in the stats: I watched a number of Bruins games last season, and even though Manny's starts were limited, it seemed later in the season that he was all over the place in his net, giving up bad rebounds, and whiffing on routine saves.

You have to consider that the Bruins were one of the top defensive clubs last year (system, Julien.......) and it was night and day when Thomas was in the nets as compared to Manny. So although his numbers are okay, I don't beleive them to be a true reflection of how he played. He came across as one of those guys who was "happy" to be a backup, rather than competing for the starting job. Sanford on the other hand had some injuries, and did not benefit from a stronger team effort in front of him.

Just my opinion.

prairie hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 04:28 PM
DeVries*

Don't think that Fernandez would accept a year like Marc Denis did last season, but if Bob signs him, with Sanford ans Desjardins in Hamilton, Halak will obviously be on his way out of Montreal. And Fernandez would probably be fine with playing 20-25 games in his hometown team.

DeVries* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 04:34 PM
Kriss E

Quote:
Kriss I would not get buried too much in the stats: I watched a number of Bruins games last season, and even though Manny's starts were limited, it seemed later in the season that he was all over the place in his net, giving up bad rebounds, and whiffing on routine saves.

You have to consider that the Bruins were one of the top defensive clubs last year (system, Julien.......) and it was night and day when Thomas was in the nets as compared to Manny. So although his numbers are okay, I don't beleive them to be a true reflection of how he played. He came across as one of those guys who was "happy" to be a backup, rather than competing for the starting job. Sanford on the other hand had some injuries, and did not benefit from a stronger team effort in front of him.

Just my opinion.
Jacques Martin has a similar system to the one of the Bruins (unless he decides to change it up) and their Dmen on paper are not really better than ours.
We also have a bunch of forwards who can excel in a defensive system. Gomez and Gionta already have, Plekanec is a great two way center. So that doesn't worry me.
I've said in many other threads how the best acquisition over the summer was getting Martin and that we'll see instant improvements from our D squad/goalie thanks to his system. So I'm not worried about that.

At the end of the day, he needs to leave the rink with the W. That's all that matters.

Bruins and SJ were the best teams in the league this season, yet only the Bruins was able to win One series in the POs.
Tim Thomas had the best numbers and was the best goalie this year. That didn't help them much though.

If Manny can win most of his games as a backup and also serve as a good mentor to Price, it'll be perfect.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 04:50 PM
crazyd
Canada is hockey

I would of preferred Garon or even Brent Johnson. Manny could be a viable option if we get a good return for Halak.

crazyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2009, 04:59 PM
Coach Brisebois*

Quote:
You have to consider that the Bruins were one of the top defensive clubs last year (system, Julien.......) and it was night and day when Thomas was in the nets as compared to Manny.
I would hope so... didn't Thomas win something this year? a contract was it? or was it something else?

Coach Brisebois* is offline   Reply With Quote